Welcome Carlton Davis

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Welcome Carlton Davis

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:10 am

Ken Carson wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Not with Mike Smith as DC. He's never been a press man guy. I don't think we have the guys to play that type of defense consistently.

The draft picks and current personnel on the roster are a very good fit for press man. And with a ton of offenses in the league scheming for quick hitters within 5-10 yards of the LoS, becoming a great press man team makes sense.

Mike Smith is clearly just going to let the CBs do what they are comfortable doing. Grimes doesn't do alot of press man, and I don't think they are going to tell him to change what he's been doing for the last decade plus...
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:18 am

Ken Carson wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Not with Mike Smith as DC. He's never been a press man guy. I don't think we have the guys to play that type of defense consistently.

The draft picks and current personnel on the roster are a very good fit for press man. And with a ton of offenses in the league scheming for quick hitters within 5-10 yards of the LoS, becoming a great press man team makes sense.

It's also a good fit for the zone scheme we currently run. Smith isn't changing the entire defense to fit it around press man. We run some as a wrinkle but at the core this is a zone defense.
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:19 pm

Mike Smith has run different style of defenses in the past, I don't think he's a locked in guy. His Jax defenses don't have much in common with his Atlanta defense that gave up a lot more yards but capitalized on turn overs. This defense could look nothing like either or a little like both. He definitely has the best DL he's had since Jax with two talents in the middle.
Doctor

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:55 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:The draft picks and current personnel on the roster are a very good fit for press man. And with a ton of offenses in the league scheming for quick hitters within 5-10 yards of the LoS, becoming a great press man team makes sense.

It's also a good fit for the zone scheme we currently run. Smith isn't changing the entire defense to fit it around press man. We run some as a wrinkle but at the core this is a zone defense.

Both high picks we used on corners excel at pressman. I don’t think we drafted them to play 7 yards off like we did most of last year.
Ken Carson

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:02 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Both high picks we used on corners excel at pressman. I don’t think we drafted them to play 7 yards off like we did most of last year.

That doesn't mean that's what we plan to do. We might play MORE press man but still at the core we are a zone team. I don't know why that's hard to understand. Most teams play off a ton. Rex Ryan was really the only coach who played press man almost exclusively. I don't see us going from a zone scheme to a man scheme.
Bootz2004

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:14 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Both high picks we used on corners excel at pressman. I don’t think we drafted them to play 7 yards off like we did most of last year.

That doesn't mean that's what we plan to do. We might play MORE press man but still at the core we are a zone team. I don't know why that's hard to understand. Most teams play off a ton. Rex Ryan was really the only coach who played press man almost exclusively. I don't see us going from a zone scheme to a man scheme.

Press man is a great changeup from zone. The two work quite well in terms of disguising coverage.
Ken Carson

Postby Heidguy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:42 pm

I asked Carlton Davis how he's going to handle getting beaten for the first time in the NFL, something that happens to all rookie DBs. His response was terrific... "Listen to me – I came into Auburn as a true freshman. I didn't come in early. I didn't have workouts early. I came in in the summer and I played 13 games. Every game I played in, I started in – 12 of them, 11 of them. I'm a player that comes in and buys into a system. I'm a player that comes in, that listens, that learns quickly. You can count on that I'll be playing in that first snap. You can count on me to be on that field, somehow, someway, whether it's special teams or whatever they need me to do, I'll be on that field, I'll do anything for it and my history shows it."

Jenna Laine ESPN
Heidguy

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:27 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Press man is a great changeup from zone. The two work quite well in terms of disguising coverage.

I think we have a collection of CBs who can do different things. While Davis is a press man type, Grimes is a 7 yards off the LOS eyes on the QB type- and that aint changing. Mike Smith has flat our said he let's his CBs play how they are comfortable, and I think bringing in Davis is more bringing in a guy with length who can bump and run with the bigger WRs we face.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:03 pm

And we finally have a DL that LETS us play press.
Doctor

Postby Super K » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:54 am

I didn't know alot about Davis, much like a number of our picks,.so I've watched a bunch of his film...

REALLY like this kid...aggressive, long and he is MUCH more concerned with ensuring that the WR he's covering doesn't catch an intended pass than he is with try to make a catch himself...

Not gonna lie, I LOVE that mindset and attitude...

The number of tipped or batted away balls (no OOCA) he had was ridiculous...
Super K

Postby ImAWalkingCorpse » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:57 pm

The only way this guy won't be a bust is if we do play press. He isn't 2nd round good, but this at least shows that Licht is admitting that VH3 was a wasted pick.
ImAWalkingCorpse

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:53 pm

Idk. He drafted a lot of "slot defenders". Could mean they are thinking of moving Vernon back outside.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:03 pm

Doctor wrote:Idk. He drafted a lot of "slot defenders". Could mean they are thinking of moving Vernon back outside.

If by alot you mean 1 then point taken.
Bootz2004

Postby theBKwhopper » Tue May 01, 2018 12:49 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Doctor wrote:Idk. He drafted a lot of "slot defenders". Could mean they are thinking of moving Vernon back outside.

If by alot you mean 1 then point taken.

I think they mentioned Whitehead as another one. That would be two. Still not "a lot," though. Lol
theBKwhopper

Postby Brazen331 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:29 am

Yes. Given where they drafted Vernon, they are going to try to make him work outside I think. They drafted the inside guy before the outside guy so Stewart was brought in for a reason, whether SS or Nickel.

If you were intending to come away with both Stewart and Davis, you would think you would draft Davis first.
Brazen331

Postby RobR » Fri May 04, 2018 2:59 am

Brazen331 wrote:

Yes. Given where they drafted Vernon, they are going to try to make him work outside I think. They drafted the inside guy before the outside guy so Stewart was brought in for a reason, whether SS or Nickel.

If you were intending to come away with both Stewart and Davis, you would think you would draft Davis first.

This is quite an interesting point as a signal to how we’ll set up this season. I actually think Caradoc’s question was an interesting one too, just maybe not framed very well.

I think we’re going to start the season giving Hargreaves another chance to prove himself on the outside. We took the inside guy first because this starting point makes the slot the more pressing need.

But we know Grimes is nearly done and we’d need an outside CB at the end of this season anyway, someone who doesn’t need to start right away. I think this is why we double dipped in the CB pool and went and got a larger corner in Davis, but didn’t prioritise it over Stewart.

So I think we start with Grimes and VHIII im the outside with Stewart in the slot. Davis spells on the outside.

If VHIII doesn’t progress then half way through the season we might see him kick inside and Davis get some starts on the outside. This is where stewarts versatility comes into it, and he might start to get some action at safety beside Evans. In this scenario we're probably still looking for another outside corner next year.

If VHIII does push on and prove himself outside then Davis is groomed as the replacement for Grimes. And given Davis and VHIII’s different styles the two can be matched up against different receivers as suits. In this scenario Godwin/Conte (urgh)/Whitehead battle it out to decide Evans' partner. We might also then still be in the market for a safety next year.
RobR

Previous

Return to Team Discussions