Welcome Ronald Jones!

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Welcome Ronald Jones!

Postby Patrick McIrish » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:36 pm

Yeah excellent pick Licht...

A one dimensional back who can break it twice a year is much better than some slow footed Emmit Smith clown.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:40 pm

What? A RB who can block, great vision, good hands, tough as nails and never fumbles isnt what we need....

A RB with break away speed is the one attribute you look for!!! I think the Bucs are great!

(Please please no one draft that LT out of Purdue with break away speed!!!)
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:43 pm

The pick like the player is all sizzle and no steak. You dont build winners around guys like this.

Ridiculous with G still on board.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Buc2 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:48 pm

The last 4 posts are the definition of "trying too hard."
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Nano » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:49 pm

I don't think he likes the pick
Nano

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:55 pm

Patrick McIrish wrote:What? A RB who can block, great vision, good hands, tough as nails and never fumbles isnt what we need....

A RB with break away speed is the one attribute you look for!!! I think the Bucs are great!

(Please please no one draft that LT out of Purdue with break away speed!!!)

Pretty much this
Phantom Phenom

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:08 pm

Glad Pseudo McIrish hates it. Makes me believe in it more.
Doctor

Postby Caradoc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:30 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Caradoc wrote:I feel like Jones would have been there at our 3rd round 2 pick.

Wait, you mean 2nd round pick 2?(we dont have a 3rd)....Maybe...
Some had him mocked in the 1st. If we liked him that much, why not take him?

we had three round two picks (6, 21, 31). the third round two pick.

You are really struggling with reading comprehension lately.
Caradoc

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:32 pm

Considering the run on RBs that happened, they didn't want to risk it. Plus, the fan favorite Guice DID fall to those picks anyways so it shows we don't have any clue about how players are really valued.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Caradoc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:38 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:

Considering the run on RBs that happened, they didn't want to risk it. Plus, the fan favorite Guice DID fall to those picks anyways so it shows we don't have any clue about how players are really valued.

Not saying that it was guaranteed to happen, just how I felt at the time.
Caradoc

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:

I think Guice was valued as a player, but he screwed himself by apparently acting like a jackass during the pre draft process. Reports of him being constantly late or not even showing up, being disrespectful, etc.

Not saying Guice isn't a good prospect, just that he rubbed teams the wrong way and slid because of it.

Hopefully he uses it as a chip on his shoulder and is good value for the Redskins. They have a good Oline, so a RB like Guice could do some damage there.
DreadNaught

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:46 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:

I think Guice was valued as a player, but he screwed himself by apparently acting like a jackass during the pre draft process. Reports of him being constantly late or not even showing up, being disrespectful, etc.

Not saying Guice isn't a good prospect, just that he rubbed teams the wrong way and slid because of it.

Hopefully he uses it as a chip on his shoulder and is good value for the Redskins. They have a good Oline, so a RB like Guice could do some damage there.

I heard his visit with the Eagles turned into a shouting match.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Buc2 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:47 pm

There's that "chip on the shoulder" bs again. It's a made-up attribute. Either you have talent and can play in this league or you can't.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Terp » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:16 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Terp wrote:I like it.

The **** have you been ***hole!?

I’ve been on my yacht in the south of France with Tom Brady’s wife. JK... I couldn’t remember my password.
Terp

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:54 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

The Eagles HC and GM have both said this is untrue.

Howie Roseman: There was no “altercation” between the #Eagles and RB Derrius Guice. In Philadelphia or anywhere. Doug Pederson and Joe Douglas shook their heads, as well.
PrimeMinister

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:57 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:

Howie Roseman: There was no “altercation” between the #Eagles and RB Derrius Guice. In Philadelphia or anywhere. Doug Pederson and Joe Douglas shook their heads, as well.

Maybe. But there clearly are red flags to be concerned with, I was convinced he was going top 20 and he almost fell into the 3rd.
Miller4Prez64

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Maybe. But there clearly are red flags to be concerned with, I was convinced he was going top 20 and he almost fell into the 3rd.

I believe there were some red flags. I’m correcting the story of a “shouting match” with Philadelphia. We don’t know what the red flags were yet, but it isn’t a shouting match. The Eagles have no reason to lie in favor of helping Guice’s PR problem.
PrimeMinister

Postby UbuntuBuc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:25 pm

I just watched a bunch of videos of Jones and I might like him better than Barkley. In game footage Jones looked faster than Barkley. When I looked at offensive line play Penn State appeared to have a much better line as well. Granted all of these videos are hilight reels so it is not the full picture. I am not upset with this selection at all.

PFF video:
http://www.nbcsports.com/video/uscs-ron ... -nfl-draft
UbuntuBuc

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:18 pm

RONALD JONES IS A BEAST

real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:36 pm

Something a bit interesting to think about in regards to the expected Jones/Barber combo... generally speaking with these littler back/bigger back combos, the littler back is more the 3rd down guy while the bigger back is the horse on 1st and 2nd down. But funny enough for us, I think Jones is going to be the man on 1st and 2nd down, while Barber is the 3rd down guy. And it works. I mean part of the reason Jones wasn't a first rounder was because of how limited he is experience wise as a pass receiver for a smaller back... and while Barber is the bigger man, he's actually shown himself to be a tremendous receiver out of the backfield. Barber is pretty much the perfect complement to Jones- a guy who can move the pile in short yardage situations while also being the 3rd down receiver of the two. So ultimately I expect Jones to be more of the feature back, while Barber is more of the situational back who handles both 3rd down and short yardage duties.

Just a unique wrinkle in our backfield...
real bucs fan

Postby Caradoc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Hard to really say Jones can't catch, as he wasn't - from what I can tell - bad at it, he just didn't get targeted a lot. He's more a question there than already determined he needs to improve.

He did certainly have a lot more work between the tackles than I thought, and can certainly do work there. I just worry about his frame. He should have no problem adding 10-15 lbs of lean mass without impacting his movement, which would make me start feeling better about his durability.
Caradoc

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:54 pm

Caradoc wrote:Hard to really say Jones can't catch, as he wasn't - from what I can tell - bad at it, he just didn't get targeted a lot. He's more a question there than already determined he needs to improve.

He did certainly have a lot more work between the tackles than I thought, and can certainly do work there. I just worry about his frame. He should have no problem adding 10-15 lbs of lean mass without impacting his movement, which would make me start feeling better about his durability.

I know last year he caught 13 of 14 targets, but PFF said that before last year he had a bunch of ugly drops... so could be that was why he wasn't targeted much. For now, I'm penciling him as more of a runner than a receiver until he proves otherwise.

Licht also said he's up to 209lbs... if he can just add 5lbs he'll be up to 214lbs which is what Kamara weighed and is in the ballpark of plenty of backs around the league.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:50 pm

Sims is the 3rd down back. Barber will fight for touches once again after a brief period of him being the "starter" on the depth chart.
Doctor

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:57 am

real bucs fan wrote:RONALD JONES IS A BEAST

HAHA

thanks for the laugh..

UGH
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:17 am

I liked the pick when it happened and the more I watch Rojo run the more I love it.
PrimeMinister

Postby Buccs99 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:50 am

He was drafted to be our Alvin Kamara. He's going to be what Charles Sims didnt turn out to be.

Is he capable to be that kind of guy, only time will tell. Barber is our Ingram, RJ2 is our Kamara.
Buccs99

Postby SIBucsFan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:34 am

Buccs99 wrote:He was drafted to be our Alvin Kamara. He's going to be what Charles Sims didnt turn out to be.

Is he capable to be that kind of guy, only time will tell. Barber is our Ingram, RJ2 is our Kamara.

Could only hope RoJo is half the receiver Kamara is. Anything more would be outstanding.
SIBucsFan

Postby SIBucsFan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:36 am

real bucs fan wrote:Something a bit interesting to think about in regards to the expected Jones/Barber combo... generally speaking with these littler back/bigger back combos, the littler back is more the 3rd down guy while the bigger back is the horse on 1st and 2nd down. But funny enough for us, I think Jones is going to be the man on 1st and 2nd down, while Barber is the 3rd down guy. And it works. I mean part of the reason Jones wasn't a first rounder was because of how limited he is experience wise as a pass receiver for a smaller back... and while Barber is the bigger man, he's actually shown himself to be a tremendous receiver out of the backfield. Barber is pretty much the perfect complement to Jones- a guy who can move the pile in short yardage situations while also being the 3rd down receiver of the two. So ultimately I expect Jones to be more of the feature back, while Barber is more of the situational back who handles both 3rd down and short yardage duties.

Just a unique wrinkle in our backfield...

Barber's receiving ability has been a very nice surprise. I think Koetter will find the best way to utilize both in the right situations.
SIBucsFan

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:41 am

I know PFF is polarizing, but thought this was interesting in their write-up of our draft:
Jones earned the highest PFF grade of any back in this class in ANY season of their college careers this past season but has just 40 career targets in the passing game, so is something of an unknown in that area.

Basically, Jones past season was the best season of any back in the class, but not just last season... that takes each players best season into account. So he graded better than Barkley, which of course does not mean he is "better" than Saquon, but it's also a sign that he is consistently hitting the correct hole and making the most out of his carries. That is a good thing.
Ken Carson

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:44 am

We got a RB and y'all talking about how good of a receiver is he.
Bootz2004

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions