2nd Round Options

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: 2nd Round Options

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:18 am

RobR wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
We don't have a 3rd

Sorry I wasn't very clear on that.

I mean taking Jackson with the first pick of the 2nd round, and then Guice with the third pick of the 2nd round. As we'd get picks one and three in the 2nd round in exchange for our existing three 2nd round picks (in this hypothetical situation).

Okay my bad. I get it now.
Bootz2004

Postby Buccs99 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:23 am

I'll trust the process in hopes that we take a RB, atleast one corner, and either a S or OL the other pick. if we take two corners, id be fine with that.

i think the talent from now until pick 60 runs together. i dont think you could go wrong unless you start taking stabs at projects or potential.
Buccs99

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:29 am

Buccs99 wrote:I'll trust the process in hopes that we take a RB, atleast one corner, and either a S or OL the other pick. if we take two corners, id be fine with that.

i think the talent from now until pick 60 runs together. i dont think you could go wrong unless you start taking stabs at projects or potential.

I think it runs together between 40 and 60. But there are probably ten guys who are closer to being first round talents than second round talents. Hopefully we don't get too clever and miss one.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:33 am

Cheb wrote:We currently have picks 6, 21, and 24 in the second round. I'd want to see them stand pat and not trade up. This draft is deep. We could walk away with three excellent players here.

Were it up to me, I'd ideally want our three picks to be a running back, corner/safety, and guard/tackle. Going for another D-lineman also couldn't hurt.

Given that our last pick in the second round is 24, here are 24 players in those position groups of relatively higher need. I fully expect all three second rounders to be on this list:

- Running Backs: Derrius Guice, Ronald Jones, Kerryon Johnson, Nick Chubb
- Offensive Linemen: Will Hernandez, James Daniels, Connor Williams, Austin Corbett
- Defensive Linemen: Harold Landry, Rasheem Green, Mo Hurst, Harrison Phillips, Lorenzo Carter
- Corners: Josh Jackson, Carlton Davis, Isaiah Oliver, Donte Jackson
- Safeties: Justin Reid, Jessie Bates, Ronnie Harrison, Tarvarius Moore
- Wildcards: Courtland Sutton (WR), Arden Key (DE), Orlando Brown (OT)

Ya I think so. If I'm guessing the first 5 picks of round 2, I think it would be Hernandez, Landry, Guice, Connor Williams, and Josh Jackson. Mo Hurst is a wildcard, I have no idea about his medicals though.

I really am crossing my fingers for Josh Jackson here though, and then we can get our RB with one of the Bills picks, either Chubb or Jones.

Regardless, we absolutely need to get a CB and a RB with 2 of these picks.
real bucs fan

Postby Heidguy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:01 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Just posted this in the draft thread but I'll move it over here.

Wanna throw some names out there we haven't been talking about much that are possibilities tonight.

Saftey
Ronnie Harrison from Alabama would be a very smart pick
Kyzir White from West Virginia.
Justin Reid from Stanford
Jessie Bates from Wake Forest

Corner
Quentin Meeks from Stanford
Carlton Davis from Auburn
Donte Jackson from LSU
Duke Dawson from Florida is a bit of a long shot and is better suited for S IMO

Guard
Slim pickings after Hernandez in this range
Braden Smith from Auburn
Wyatt Teller from VT
I'm going to throw in James Daniels from Iowa here even though he's a Center

Offensive Tackle
Brian O'Neil is a solid RT that is underappreciated because he's a RT
Chukwuma Okorafor from Western Michigan
Orlando Brown from Oklahoma who I'm not crazy about

Edge
Harold Landry from Boston College
Sam Hubbard from Ohio State
Lorenzo Carter from Georgia
Arden Key is still out there

Running Backs
Ronald Jones from USC who isn't a favorite of mine
Kerryon Johnson from Auburn whose only concern to me is durability
Royce Freeman from Oregon will be in range and if we take him, he has to wear #5.
Kalen Ballage from Arizona State is a guy some around here like

All that is on top of the obvious guys like Darrius Guice and Nick Chubb

Let me put my homer glasses on for a moment.
I think Braden Smith will be a solid guard in the NFL, he's no Nelson, but I think he can be a really good guard on our line and a upgrade to Sweezy. As far as KJ goes, you hit it on the head with him, as long as he stays healthy! Personally I'd be uber thrilled with KJ but I've seen every snap of his career here at Auburn, so I'm not worried about him making the roster or a impact, I mean he came from RB university, that's what we do! Oh and Carlton Davis would be a solid pick as well, but I think his value would be better getting him in the 3rd, he's a solid man cover but doesn't special speed so he tends to get beat sometimes.
Heidguy

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:04 am

So many options for us tonight. Didn't like the trade but we do have the 3 selections tonight. Make the best of them.

On offense my hope is we focus on the Oline. Namely the tackle and LG guard spots. I also would look at receiver. Doesn't look like a need spot right now but if you look closely Hump is on a 1 year tender and will bea FA. Desean Jackson is still fast but will be 32 in December and cost $10mil with our cap situation being tight. We could use one of those spots to look at a more long term option at receiver to go along with Evans and Godwin. And Edge rusher can't go unnoticed either.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:09 am

I'd like to get Oliver or Jackson at 38. Hernandez would be nice also. Any of those 3.

Lots of good talent on the board.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:13 am

Speaking of receiver, it's not on many lists but Courtland Sutton is sitting out there. He'd be a player we'd have to consider. The talent and upside are so great.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:28 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Speaking of receiver, it's not on many lists but Courtland Sutton is sitting out there. He'd be a player we'd have to consider. The talent and upside are so great.

He's a very good prospect but I think if we're looking for WR#4 it'll be for Kick and Punt return purposes and I like Dante Pettis and Keke Coutee for that role.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:30 am

I think we're pretty loaded at WR, and I was never a big Sutton fan. Liked what I saw from Bobo late in the year too.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:33 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Speaking of receiver, it's not on many lists but Courtland Sutton is sitting out there. He'd be a player we'd have to consider. The talent and upside are so great.

My guy! Like I said elsewhere, within two seasons (possibly, one season,) both D-Jax and Hump will be elsewhere. Assuming Godwin slots in, the cupboard is bare behind him and Evans.

Also worth noting - Sutton's game melds perfectly with Winston. He has a huge catch radius and soft hands.

I'd be thrilled to get him him.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:33 am

MJW wrote:

My guy! Like I said elsewhere, within two seasons (possibly, one season,) both D-Jax and Hump will be elsewhere. Assuming Godwin slots in, the cupboard is bare behind him and Evans.

Also worth noting - Sutton's game melds perfectly with Winston. He has a huge catch radius and soft hands.

I thought for sure Dallas was taking him last night.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:34 am

I think my plan would be:

38: Jackson or Oliver
56: Jones or Chubb
58: Reid or Harrison

Though that depends on who falls to us at 38. I think Indy goes with 2 defenders back to back, and Cleveland goes OL and Guice, with Giants taking Hernandez.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:35 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
MJW wrote:

Me too. And btw, Vander Esch surprised me. Not exactly the kind of linebacker we're used to seeing in Rod Marinelli's defenses.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:36 am

MJW wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I thought for sure Dallas was taking him last night.

Me too. And btw, Vander Esch surprised me. Not exactly the kind of linebacker we're used to seeing in Rod Marinelli's defenses.

I was watching with a Cowboys fan, and he had called him from before the draft as if it were a formality. Dude is alot better in coverage than you'd think.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:38 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
MJW wrote:

I did too. Him or Ridley.
Bootz2004

Postby RobR » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:40 am

You can never have too many good receivers.

Signed,
Calvin Ridley and Julio Jones and Mohammed Sanu and Matt Ryan
:shock:
RobR

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:40 am

If we get lucky, the Browns, Giants, and Colts will decide to start scooping up WR's

RIP Slim
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:40 am

MJW wrote:

Exactly. With our cap looking the way it is, it might be next season we're looking at a bare cupboard. I honestly would have a hard time ignoring the guy if he's sitting there at 38. And you're right he fits right in with the WRs Winston likes throwing to.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:43 am

RobR wrote:

You can never have too many good receivers.

Signed,
Calvin Ridley and Julio Jones and Mohammed Sanu and Matt Ryan
:shock:

Absolutely. Seems to be the moto of teams like Pittsburgh and Green Bay, who seemingly draft WRs annually.
Bootz2004

Postby doooshnzl » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:45 am

Bootz2004 wrote:So many options for us tonight. Didn't like the trade but we do have the 3 selections tonight. Make the best of them.

On offense my hope is we focus on the Oline. Namely the tackle and LG guard spots. I also would look at receiver. Doesn't look like a need spot right now but if you look closely Hump is on a 1 year tender and will bea FA. Desean Jackson is still fast but will be 32 in December and cost $10mil with our cap situation being tight. We could use one of those spots to look at a more long term option at receiver to go along with Evans and Godwin. And Edge rusher can't go unnoticed either.

No interest in RB?
doooshnzl

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:16 am

doooshnzl wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:So many options for us tonight. Didn't like the trade but we do have the 3 selections tonight. Make the best of them.

No interest in RB?

I'm not very high on this year's group. I'd add someone on Saturday but I don't see the value there tonight personally. That 300 carry, 1200 yard back everyone wants isn't in this draft IMO.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:26 am

Doctor wrote:So glad we past on James, twice. I knew that leaked info felt to Johnny football like. JL plays poker.

So will future “leaks” be believed going forward? Licht plays draft season poker more than fans think he does.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:28 am

MJW wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I thought for sure Dallas was taking him last night.

I’ll post a video later of Dallas fans reaction to this pick at the draft. Real time it cracked me up.
PrimeMinister

Postby bearlandbucfan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:36 am

I take it that no one likes Brown or Richardson, especially if we stay put at the back of the round?
bearlandbucfan

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:31 am

We should trade pick 38 and 102 to Cleveland for pick 33

Do it Dom !
Jason Bourne

Postby Super K » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:22 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:We should trade pick 38 and 102 to Cleveland for pick 33

Do it Dom !

I'm good with that...
Super K

Postby Cheb » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:24 pm

Do it Dom !

I disagree.

That fourth rounder will add valuable depth somewhere. We pick sixth in the second round, and unless Licht does something stupid, we will be selecting a talent who is a borderline first rounder already.
Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Do it Dom !

For who and why
Bootz2004

Postby sonofg » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Cheb wrote:

Do it Dom !

I disagree.

That fourth rounder will add valuable depth somewhere. We pick sixth in the second round, and unless Licht does something stupid, we will be selecting a talent who is a borderline first rounder already.

In general, I hope they don't package picks to move up. They have a pretty good situation right now. Stay patient and keep all three 2nd rounders. (or perhaps trade 53 or 56 for two 3rd rounders or something like that)
sonofg

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions