Coming to RJS? Here's what you need to know!

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Coming to RJS? Here's what you need to know!

Postby Admin » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Good idea in the schedule release thread. Post your tips below for trips to see the Bucs in Tampa. Let's please try to keep the thread clean.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coming to RJS? Here's what you need to know!

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:15 pm

With all 1pm Sunday starts early in the season (other than the MNF game week 3) the sun/heat will be an issue.

If you're looking for seats to beat the heat but don't want to pay club seat prices I recommend looking for seats in sections 217-219. The downside is that it's in the corner of the stadium, but with the video boards it's less of an issue.

The various good things about that location is it's the first part of the stadium to receive shade and depending how far back in the section (around row T and back) you'll be under the 3rd deck which provides constant shade in addition to serving as a shelter if it rains. Plus with the windows open from the suites behind you you'll feel a breeze of air conditioning. Imo it's the best climate control you'll get for the ticket price.

This is also the corner the Bucs enter/exit from so great for pics
DreadNaught

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:50 pm

For any non Floridian:

More water, less beer through October
Crocaneers

Postby Rocker » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:49 pm

Ignoring Crocaneers blasphemy; if you’re from out of town and looking to meet passionate fans, WhatTheBuc throws a heck of a good time tailgate; 20 bucks gets you all you can eat and drink (themed cocktails ain’t half bad) until supplies run out.

But seriously; don’t underestimate the climate. If you’re not acclimated, it can beat you down with a quickness.
Rocker

Postby Teitan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:14 am

Crocaneers wrote:For any non Floridian:

More water, lots of beer

Fixed.
Teitan

Postby acmillis » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 am

You cannot watch the game from on the Ship.

You can walk around the entire inside of the stadium if you want to, but only from the 100 level. If you're sitting in the 100 level, there will be aisle attendants to ensure you have a ticket for the section you're trying to enter. There are no such attendants for the third level (i.e. if you have any 300 level ticket, you can sit in any open seat.)

The second level is mostly Club Level seating (other than sections 217-220, 201-204, 226-229, 242-245). Club seating is more expensive but offers amenities such as liquor bars, better food options, and an in-door... well...club with AC.

if you are unsure of where to sit, I prefer https://aviewfrommyseat.com/ as it shows user uploaded pics from a specific seat in a specific section. This site is not as comprehensive as others, but this is the only one I've found with real, in-game pictures.

The "Home" side of the stadium (where the Bucs' bench is) is on the West Side of the stadium (Sections 119-102, 220-201, 319-302). This is the side of the stadium that will receive shade first on hot days. For the August-October (maybe even November) games, no matter where you sit, it is going to be very hot, unless you're in the Club level seating in which case you can either go indoors, or as the other poster pointed out, the third level provides coverage for the rear of the sections.

If you driving north to the stadium (as I do from Fort Myers), the easiest way to go is to take I-75 to I-275. The easiest lot to park in (in my opinion) is Lot 13. Getting back to I-275 takes just minutes and, depending on how early you get to the game, you can drive straight in to lot 12 which is a very short walk to the stadium. Lots open 3 1/2 hours prior to kickoff time and if you are parking in a cash lot, you're going to pay $25.

You are restricted to what you can carry in to the stadium: http://raymondjamesstadium.com/stadium-fan-policies/.

The closer it gets to game time, the longer the lines are to get in to the stadium.
acmillis

Postby Hit55 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:17 pm

Rocker wrote:Ignoring Crocaneers blasphemy; if you’re from out of town and looking to meet passionate fans, WhatTheBuc throws a heck of a good time tailgate; 20 bucks gets you all you can eat and drink (themed cocktails ain’t half bad) until supplies run out.

I'm gonna have to check this out. Went to all 10 games last season and have yet to do any tailgating.
Hit55

Postby Hit55 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:28 pm

Parking was briefly touched on in acmillis' post. If you don't feel like parting ways with $25 to park, there are several neighboring streets (Himes Ave is a gem) who open up their lawns for parking. If you're going through gates B, C, or D and don't mind a little walk, you can park for as low as $10.

I usually go through Gate D but would park off Himes Ave. The closest to the stadium I've parked for $10 was W Leroy Street. It's just a short 3 block walk up to the stadium and it's actually rather easy to exit as well. I've never had a problem with getting out. Only catch is you may be parked behind another vehicle, but the lot owners are usually really good about asking whether you're sticking around or leaving as soon as the game is over and will let you know where to park accordingly.
Hit55

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:19 am

When I went to the Jets game last year, we parked in the St. John Presbyterian Church lot for $10. It's near the corner of MacDill and W. Woodlawn Ave. It's an easy walk as long as you're not in a hurry. We stayed until the game ended and it was definitely an easy out as well. We were on I-275 fairly quickly.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Teitan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:44 pm

I used to park down by Sonnys for like 10-15$ and walk. Not a bad walk and made it a hell of a lot easier leaving, less crazy traffic being further from stadium.
Teitan

Postby Babeinbucland » Sat May 05, 2018 8:39 pm

Bring sunscreen - they do not sell it at RJS
Babeinbucland

Postby Caradoc » Sat May 05, 2018 9:10 pm

Tell them about the strip clubs Johnny!!
Caradoc

Postby Super K » Sat May 05, 2018 9:52 pm

Caradoc wrote:Tell them about the strip clubs Johnny!!

Yes, please do... ;)
Super K

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed May 09, 2018 5:58 am

Babeinbucland wrote:Bring sunscreen - they do not sell it at RJS

Talk about a missed opportunity.
Deja Entendu

Postby NYBF » Wed May 09, 2018 9:03 am

The Mets AAA club is in Las Vegas. On the concourses there, they have sunscreen dispensers that are sponsored by a local dermatologist.
NYBF

Postby Perthsaint » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:15 pm

I hope this is the right place to pose a couple of questions, if it isn't please point me towards the correct place and I'll go there.

We're going to be in town for the game v the Jaguars on Thursday 30th August. First question, what are the public transport options for getting to/from the stadium from downtown? We could drive but we all like drinking, which leads me to my second question...

Best pubs near the stadium (and downtown, if you're feeling generous)?

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.
Perthsaint

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Perthsaint wrote:I hope this is the right place to pose a couple of questions, if it isn't please point me towards the correct place and I'll go there.

We're going to be in town for the game v the Jaguars on Thursday 30th August. First question, what are the public transport options for getting to/from the stadium from downtown? We could drive but we all like drinking, which leads me to my second question...

Public transportation is pretty much not an option so I'd suggest Uber or Lyft. After the game, find a pub to walk to, have a few drinks and call an Uber/Lyft from there.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:40 pm

Perthsaint wrote:I hope this is the right place to pose a couple of questions, if it isn't please point me towards the correct place and I'll go there.

Many downtown hotels have shuttle services (vans) on gamedays. So if your hotel doesn't check with a nearby hotel downtown and you'll find one. Uber/Lyft/Cab is also an option of course. It's not a long distance from Downtown to the stadium so it should be pretty inexpensive.

Millers Ale House and The Winghouse are the two closest watering holes within walking distance to the stadium. Downtown has many bars, plus there is trolley that runs from Downtown to Ybor city and Ybor/7th Avenue has alot of bars also.

Given this is a preseason game I'm not sure if the 'What The Buc' tailgate will be happening, but I assume it would be. But I'd check on that as we get closer and you can always tailgate there beforehand. It's very close to the stadium.
DreadNaught

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:13 pm

1. Downtown
2. Many bars

Pick one, because those are not a pair of things that go together.
The Outsider

Postby NYBF » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:28 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Many downtown hotels have shuttle services (vans) on gamedays.

We stayed at the Hilton Westshore and they had a van. We became real friendly with the driver who was working Sunday. He gave us his personal cell and told us to call him when we were done partying after the game and he'd come get us. It was awesome.
NYBF

Postby Perthsaint » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:33 pm

Many thanks to NYBF, Buc2, DreadNaught and The Outsider for all of your advice.

Going for a few beers and then getting an Uber doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world so that's what we'll probably do.

Thanks again. :drinkingcheers:
Perthsaint

Postby Babeinbucland » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:41 pm

NYBF wrote:
We stayed at the Hilton Westshore and they had a van. We became real friendly with the driver who was working Sunday.

Like Jameis Winston friendly?
Babeinbucland

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:01 pm

Don't take UberPool!
real bucs fan

Postby Mex-Buc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:19 am

Hey fellas!

I'm coming to RJS for the first time in my life, I'm making the trip with my wife during our honeymoon (We get married in Sept 15),

We are flying directly to Miami from Cancun, and we are thinking in taking the bus from there (Looks like a 6 hr drive),

She gifted me a pair of tickets back in May on my birthday for the MNF against the Steelers, yes, I know, she's awesome! :drinkingcheers:

So I have a pair of questions that I know some of you Buc family can answer for me:

1. Any advice on what's the best way to go from Miami to Tampa?
2. Any hotel recommendation near the stadium?
3. A must visit on Tampa besides the stadium and the game?
4. We got 2 tix on Section 147, right below the Pirate Ship, on the End Zone, please share your thoughts on this section.
5. Any other recommendation you have for this Mexican Buc brother? 8-)

Best regards to all, season is just around the corner! :drinkingcheers:
Mex-Buc

Postby NYBF » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:55 am

Mex-Buc wrote:2. Any hotel recommendation near the stadium?

NYBF wrote:
We stayed at the Hilton Westshore and they had a van. We became real friendly with the driver who was working Sunday. He gave us his personal cell and told us to call him when we were done partying after the game and he'd come get us. It was awesome.

Even beyond the van, they were an easy drunken stumble to/from Selmon's, and an adventurous walk probably through some backyards to/from Cigar City Brewing. And the prices were reasonable.
NYBF

Postby Kress » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:39 am

Mex-Buc wrote:So I have a pair of questions that I know some of you Buc family can answer for me:

4. We got 2 tix on Section 147, right below the Pirate Ship, on the End Zone, please share your thoughts on this section.

1. It's a quick 40 minute direct flight if you can swing it. The hotel NY mentioned is close to the airport. For that matter, so is the stadium. If you can't fly, rent a car and drive it. There is no better way, because any other form of public transportation from there would suck. Get a one-way rental, follow the GPS (which will take you across alligator alley and then up the gulf coast on 75, and drop it off at the airport when you're done.
2. See NY's post
3. Help us out here. What do you like to do? Are you going to be all beached out from Cancun? Looking for theme parks? Museums or something? Zoos, aquariums, night life/restaurants...... what do you like?
4. I've never sat there.
5. I recommend that you learn how many are in a "pair." :D
Kress

Postby Mex-Buc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Kress wrote:
Mex-Buc wrote:So I have a pair of questions that I know some of you Buc family can answer for me:

1. It's a quick 40 minute direct flight if you can swing it. The hotel NY mentioned is close to the airport. For that matter, so is the stadium. If you can't fly, rent a car and drive it. There is no better way, because any other form of public transportation from there would suck. Get a one-way rental, follow the GPS (which will take you across alligator alley and then up the gulf coast on 75, and drop it off at the airport when you're done. That would be an option too, I would've hoped there would be a direct train or something that went directly to Tampa, thanks.
2. See NY's post
3. Help us out here. What do you like to do? Are you going to be all beached out from Cancun? Looking for theme parks? Museums or something? Zoos, aquariums, night life/restaurants...... what do you like? I don't mind more beach, as long as there is a Bar near, but yeah, I think we would like to go to a Museum, or anything relevant in the city that you must go during a visit to TB.
4. I've never sat there.
5. I recommend that you learn how many are in a "pair." :D LMAO.. I was going to ask just a PAIR, but it went off and I forgot to edit it, nice catch.. :lol:

See my answers in BOLD.
Mex-Buc

Postby Kress » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:22 am

Yeah, train service around here is no good. Public transportation in general, and that includes locally. Your best bet around town is to hitch an Uber with Jameis, so if you're going to be around for a while and want to see some stuff renting a car, driving up, and then keeping it for the stay would be handy.

For beaches go to St. Pete Beach or Clearwater. Nothing in between like Treasure Island or the like, they are more residential. As far as museums, likely the best one is the Dali in downtown St. Petersburg. If you haven't been around the area before, that's only about 15 miles from the Tampa airport area - a quick hop across the bay. As an added bonus, the museum is on the downtown waterfront where there are a ton of nice restaurants and bars right along Beach Drive.

In Tampa you can go to Ybor City for some cigars and Cuban food, or for theme parks there is of course Busch Gardens. From there I'll leave it to Tampa people to give their input.
Kress

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:04 pm

Mex-Buc wrote:Hey fellas!

I'm coming to RJS for the first time in my life, I'm making the trip with my wife during our honeymoon (We get married in Sept 15),

We are flying directly to Miami from Cancun, and we are thinking in taking the bus from there (Looks like a 6 hr drive),

She gifted me a pair of tickets back in May on my birthday for the MNF against the Steelers, yes, I know, she's awesome! :drinkingcheers:

So I have a pair of questions that I know some of you Buc family can answer for me:

Best regards to all, season is just around the corner! :drinkingcheers:

First off, Congrats...

I agree renting a car would be the best option whether you fly or drive. You'll be mobile when you're in Tampa that way.

But if you don't want to rent a car you can certainly take a train from Miami to Tampa. My wife has some cousins that do it a few times a year. I believe it's the Amtrak Silver Star and it's about a 6 hour ride.

The Amtrak station in Tampa (Union Station) is ideally located right in the middle of the Ybor/Downtown area, so I'd look to get a hotel in that area. There is a Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn located in Ybor that would be your best value. The Hotels downtown are more expensive.

If you won't be renting a car I'd recommend staying in Ybor as it would allow you and your wife to walk to various bars, restaurants, etc in addition to hopping on the trolley that connects Ybor to Downtown.

Ybor isn't that far from the Stadium so just take an uber/cab/van service from the Hotel the day of the game.

It's a night game so your seats are great imo. The new video boards make end-zone seats much better for when the action is on opposite end of the field. As you mentioned you're right under the Pirate Ship so if the Bucs are scoring points that thing will scare the **** out of you if you're not anticipating it.

As far as other stuff to do, there is obviously Ybor and Downtown where I'd stay if I wasn't renting a car. The Florida Aquarium is one of the attractions down there. Check and see what events are occurring at Curtis Hixon park that Saturday, you may get lucky and they'll be something cool to do. If you want to venture out I'd recommend a day at the beach (yes there are bars everywhere) if the weather is nice (the Gulf is pretty warm compared to other ocean water). Downtown St. Pete is nice as others have mentioned.
DreadNaught

Postby Mex-Buc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:56 pm

Thank you all for your great advices, I will certainly look for the best options no doubt!

:drinkingcheers:
Mex-Buc

Next

Return to Team Discussions