Injured reserve

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Injured reserve

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:49 am

When a player goes on injured reserve how does it change the way he gets paid? Take JPP's contract and guarantee's, if he tore up his knee so bad he was done, how does a team protect itself from serious financial damage?
Last edited by mdb1958 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Re: Injured reserve

Postby beardmcdoug » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:58 am

You’re about to find out first hand boi
beardmcdoug

Postby MJW » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:18 am

mdb1958 wrote:When a player goes on injured reserve how does it change the way he gets paid? Take JPP's contract and guarantee's, if he tore up his knee so bad he was done, how does a team protect itself from serious financial damage?

I could be wrong on both these points, but based on what I've read:

1) I don't think it changes the way he's paid if he's on IR. I can't confirm that but I've never read that the nature of a player's paycheck changes if he's on IR instead of the active roster. Otherwise we'd likely see even more tomfoolery with IR from teams than we already do. Here's a quick FAQ on it:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp ... story.html

2) Let's say a guy is too hurt to continue playing and that's that. I don't think it really matters to the team if he retires or if he's cut. If he left, the salary cap charge for his signing bonus would accelerate, but the team (literally) paid the signing bonus already. The player no longer gets gamechecks or roster bonuses either way, obviously. The team could potentially attempt to recoup some portion of his signing bonus, but I've literally never heard of a team doing that because of an injury related retirement. It usually only happens if somebody pulls a Calvin Johnson or a Barry Sanders and just kind of quits. I imagine a judge would pimp-slap a team that tried that with a legitimately injured playe.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:36 am

Arent the game checks, his contract pay divided by the length of his contract? I would think that after a certain date the player would get the whole first year when he goes on IR - but after that??? Then we always hear about a percentage of the contract being fully guaranteed but do we ever think about the amount of time agreed upon for full payment of the guaranteed percentage.
mdb1958

Postby deltbucs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:53 am

mdb1958 wrote:When a player goes on injured reserve how does it change the way he gets paid? Take JPP's contract and guarantee's, if he tore up his knee so bad he was done, how does a team protect itself from serious financial damage?

Curious...When you add an S to a word, do you just randomly guess whether or not to put an apostrophe before it?
deltbucs

Return to Team Discussions