Shocking benefits of a 3-4 defense

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Shocking benefits of a 3-4 defense

Postby Ghostrap » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Doctor wrote:You realize that the difference between a 3-4 and 4-3 is actually very very small. You shift over or under and you're essentially in the other set up. This is a point Mike Smith has been making since his jaguar days. Come on...

"We're going to base out of a four-man front. But again when you play with a four-man front, you over shift and you're in a 3-4. You start in a 3-4, you over shift and you're in a 4-3. There's not a whole lot of difference in terms of what you do, it's a matter of how you're going to put your shell in the back-end. And I think that's the thing that you have to do, you have to give the quarterback different looks. Your front, there's only so many things you can do."

PewterReport actually put out a great article (I know, I know) on this last year for anyone that is interested in getting a bit more into the Xs and Os of it. It's a really good read even if you aren't too familiar with things like gap assignments and over/under: https://www.pewterreport.com/cover-3-4- ... s-defense/

In my opinion,

Mike Smith hasn't run a good defense since Jax (03-07), when he was with Jack Del Rio. On top of it, offenses have adapted, and are all passing more. It is harder to pass and run on a 34.

Also that the difference isn't very small. Here is the difference.

43 vs 34 side by side

Dt 300 NT +310-340
Dt 290
Le 280 LE 280-310
Re 260 RE 290-310

Lolb 250 lolb 260-275
Rolb 225 rolb 260-275
Mlb 230 inside backers +245 & +235

Skill sets are also absolutely different. Plus it isn't like you can just have your defensive players come onto the field after the offense has already got into formation. If you skip the details, your defense will be exploited, exactly like ours has for the last decade.

34 teams will invest 1st round picks on a RE and NT, who would be like aaron donald and suh. On a 43, the rams are the 1st team to do it. Though, lets see if suh even sticks around next year ($).

34 requires high strength, block shed, tackle, from DL.

If you don't have a great RE, and NT, they will be exploited by the run, whether your defense is 43 or 34.

2 OLB require 43 speed rush de traits, who can also play a little zone. With a 43, there is only 3 LB. One may need to blitz. So that leaves 2 LB to cover short. So much field to cover with only 2 LB. Dont expect softy chris conte to help deny short completions either.

With 34, you have 2 inside LB covering short, and 1 OLB. The offense has to guess on every play which olb is blitzing. That means, the QB is already panicking, plus the short inside of the field is covered.
Last edited by Ghostrap on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.
There are people everywhere who want to be the only one to speak. So I just ignore them. Literally.
Ghostrap

Postby Ghostrap » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:13 pm

UbuntuBuc wrote:Holy crap! This went on for this long?

Seriously, though...

Just play Madden and you will understand what the dude is saying.

if you care about real football just ignore this thread.

Ya right, you probably had to look at this to get a better understanding yourself, yet you still lack more details of the differences, such as player size and skill sets.

*blocked*
There are people everywhere who want to be the only one to speak. So I just ignore them. Literally.
Ghostrap

Postby Dominik » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:43 pm

Four Verticals wrote:
Ghostrap wrote:Still can't see what you are typing.

Jesse you can go back to getting your ass kicked on bucschat.com. It's back up now.

Long time reader, first time poster. I don't think it's fair to send this ghostrap fellow away, he certainly enjoys posting and he seems to really like 3-4 defense, especially in nickel This fellow deserves a chance to impart his knowledge here. And I think it's obvious, the folks on Bucschat have been very infair to this ghostrap. So he should not go back there.
Dominik

Postby Teitan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Dominik wrote:
Four Verticals wrote:
Jesse you can go back to getting your ass kicked on bucschat.com. It's back up now.

Long time reader, first time poster. I don't think it's fair to send this ghostrap fellow away, he certainly enjoys posting and he seems to really like 3-4 defense, especially in nickel This fellow deserves a chance to impart his knowledge here. And I think it's obvious, the folks on Bucschat have been very infair to this ghostrap. So he should not go back there.

Ok Jesse.
Teitan

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Teitan wrote:
Dominik wrote:

Ok Jesse.

Multiple accounts ... lol
Jason Bourne

Postby Hatter » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:02 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Teitan wrote:
Ok Jesse.

Ban him! Them!
Hatter

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:07 pm

Hatter wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

Ban him! Them!

Dominik’s 1st post is defending gay boy ghost rap ... lol
Jason Bourne

Postby Dominik » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Don't be so mean to ghostwrap. Sometimes something different is hard to understand because it is actually clever. Give him a chance! And who is Jess?
Dominik

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:24 pm

Dominik wrote:Don't be so mean to ghostwrap. Sometimes something different is hard to understand because it is actually clever. Give him a chance! And who is Jess?

Blocked
Jason Bourne

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Dominik wrote:Don't be so mean to ghostwrap. Sometimes something different is hard to understand because it is actually clever. Give him a chance! And who is Jess?

Blocked
Bootz2004

Postby Dominik » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:56 pm

I meant ghostrap. He might be kind of onto something with the 3-4 analysus. More unpredictable and harder for the offense because they can't predict.
Dominik

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Dominik wrote:I meant ghostrap. He might be kind of onto something with the 3-4 analysus. More unpredictable and harder for the offense because they can't predict.

:imgay:
Jason Bourne

Postby Teitan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:08 pm

Dominik wrote:I meant ghostrap. He might be kind of onto something with the 3-4 analysus. More unpredictable and harder for the offense because they can't predict.

This is the part of my life where I silently remove myself from anyone who hurts me more than they love me, drains me more than they replenish me, brings me more stress than they do peace, and tries to stunt my growth rather than clap for it. I think that I’ve done more than enough talking and trying to make things work with certain people.. I’m done.
Teitan

Postby Ghostrap » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:41 pm

Dominik wrote:And who is Jess?

I am Jesse.
Ghostrap

Postby Ghostrap » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:44 pm

By the way Dominik, I wouldn't waste anymore time with them. That is all they are, a waste of time. I blocked all of them.

I appreciate you for standing up, brother.
Ghostrap

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:45 pm

His chair is broken
VauntedTampa2

Postby Admin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:56 pm

Ghostrap:

We don't have many rules here. Make sure you try to follow them. If you spam all over the board, you will be locked in the basement. And leave the mock draft thread the hell alone.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ghostrap » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:56 pm

Admin wrote:Ghostrap:

We don't have many rules here. Make sure you try to follow them. If you spam all over the board, you will be locked in the basement. And leave the mock draft thread the hell alone.

1) I need you to explain "spam all over the board". I have no clue what your are referring to.

2) Did you see what all I did to the mock draft thread for yourself? That would be necessary. Otherwise whoever reported me is abusing the reporting tool. And that will not be my problem.

I am innocent until proven guilty. Be a good judge about it. If you rather not be one, then go ahead and ban my IP permanently. It would be no loss to me.
Last edited by Ghostrap on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Ghostrap

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 pm

You should really block Admin. That’s guy’s an ***hole.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 pm

Also

Jason Bourne wrote:

Blocked
PrimeMinister

Postby Admin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Ghostrap wrote:
Admin wrote:Ghostrap:

1) I need you to explain "spam all over the board". I have no clue what your are referring to.

2) Did you see what all I did to the mock draft thread for yourself? That would be necessary. Otherwise whoever reported me is abusing the reporting tool. And that isn't my problem.

I am innocent until proven guilty. Be a good judge about it. If you rather not be one, then go ahead and ban my IP permanently. It would be no loss to me.

1) I don't need to explain anything.

2) Yes, I saw it. There is a thread for picks only. You tried to interrupt it.

This is not the United States. This is BucZone. You are innocent until I decide you are guilty. I'm pretty easy going. This is just to let you know how things are done here, as opposed to where ever you came from.

Edited 10 times? Maybe take a deep breath and think about what you want to say before hitting "Submit"
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:23 pm

The draft is coming up and we'll have a lot of lurkers logging in soon if not already.

Ghostrap brought some shoddy football theory in this thread and got called out on it. Rightfully so. We have some very good football minds around here and at our best, I think we have the best take on this team anyone could find.

Ghostrap, and his bipost account dominik is in the deep end of the pool and not a strong enough swimmer. If he would have humbled himself just enough to postulate his theory for feedback, and accepted his premise as damaged, this shitshow could have been avoided. He didn't do that.

This is a good community that loves football and is happy to discuss it with anyone. But be prepared to back up what you say. Do that and we'll get along fine.

Hopefully, nobody is put off by this silly thread and it's fallout.

Love always,

Next Fall.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Ghostrap » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:23 pm

Admin wrote:
Ghostrap wrote:

2) Did you see what all I did to the mock draft thread for yourself? That would be necessary. Otherwise whoever reported me is abusing the reporting tool. And that isn't my problem.

1) I don't need to explain anything.

2) Yes, I saw it. There is a thread for picks only. You tried to interrupt it.

This is not the United States. This is BucZone. You are innocent until I decide you are guilty. I'm pretty easy going. This is just to let you know how things are done here, as opposed to where ever you came from.

Edited 10 times? Maybe take a deep breath and think about what you want to say before hitting "Submit"

1) Well then I don't know what spam you are talking about.

2) In the very 1st post, Judge, next to the chargers, is my name, for the first 2 rounds. I made the picks, actual players. But then dreadnaught, the manager of that forum draft, came in here, showing complete and clear disrespect to me for no reason, just like the other 20 members that I had to instantly block. Did you catch what he wrote, and everyone else? I'm not going to kiss anyone's ass after dirt has been done to me. Would you? They either took advantage of you, or you are a bad judge. Let's see which one it is after you read what they were all saying here. Start at the very beginning. Read everything.

3) "Editing 10 times" - Would you rather me create a bunch of new posts, or would that be spam?
Last edited by Ghostrap on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostrap

Postby Admin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:32 pm

Ghostrap wrote:[ Start at the very beginning. Read everything.

Seven pages? No thanks. If you feel there is a specific post that is a problem, feel free to hit that report button.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:41 pm

This was my disrespectful post midway down page 2 after the '3-4 Nickel' nonsense.

DreadNaught wrote:Good thread. Would read again.

If the OP didn't pull off being a complete idiot so consistently well I'd think we're being trolled.
DreadNaught

Postby Ghostrap » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 pm

Admin wrote:
Ghostrap wrote:[ Start at the very beginning. Read everything.

Seven pages? No thanks. If you feel there is a specific post that is a problem, feel free to hit that report button.

Me and them are even. Actually, I beat them. They did beat you though. They did what you saw me do to sh*tlocks forum mock draft, first, in my thread here. There is no difference. In every single post that isn't mine. You would only have to read the first 3 pages here for proof of what all they did here. So if you want to try and punish me, you better read those first 3 pages first, and punish them, and them only.

Otherwise I am innocent until proven guilty.

They have you, admin, wrapped around their finger. Your board is in jeopardy. Only trash like them bred here. Until I arrived. I'll fix it. I'll just let my signature do all of the work.
Ghostrap

Postby The Outsider » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:07 pm

Ghostrap wrote:
Admin wrote:

Me and them are even. Actually, I beat them. They did beat you though. They did what you saw me do to sh*tlocks forum mock draft, first. There is no difference. In every single post that isn't mine. You would only have to read the first 3 pages here for proof of what all they did here. So if you want to try and punish me, you better read those first 3 pages first, and punish them, and them only.

Otherwise I am innocent until proven guilty.

They have you, admin, wrapped around their finger. Your board is in jeopardy. Only trash like them bred here. Until I arrived. I'll fix it. I'll just let my signature do all of the work.

The Outsider

Postby Moozician » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:55 pm

What kinda **** story is this? Holy crap...

Someone needs to restart the NFL Football 101 thread.

Also, SHOCKING BENEFITS? You been hanging around that click-bait on the internets.
Moozician

Postby Ghostrap » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:03 am

I wasn't aware that I wrote a "story". How cool. I should go get a publishers license.

Btw, would you like to goto my block party this weekend?
Last edited by Ghostrap on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostrap

Postby Caradoc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:11 am

you will not be missed
Caradoc

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions