Shocking benefits of a 3-4 defense

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Shocking benefits of a 3-4 defense

Postby Ghostrap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:37 pm

Benefits of the 3-4 defense compared to a 4-3:

Goalline defense is more difficult to run/pass against. Since a 3-4 defense utilizes 2 gigantic nose tackles, using the backup nose tackle. And then, 3 or 4 +290 pound defensive ends (LE + RE). Plus 4 260 pound outside pass rushing and run tackling linebackers, along with 4 240-50 pound good tackling middle linebackers.

3-4 nickel is better at stopping the run, short and inside passes. But also all other passing due to the constant blitzing.

And the actual 3-4 package is better at stopping the run, short and inside passes, along with all other passing, compared to the actual 4-3 package.

It is also easier to disguise blitzes with the 3-4, whether it be 3-4, or 3-4 nickel. Usually a 260 pound outside linebacker is blitzing either from the right or left outside linebacker position just about every play.

The team is also able to fit more desirable players onto the 53 man roster easier. RE doesn't even play 3/4 of the time, so there is no reason for a 4th DE necessarily.

After learning this, unfortunately, I have lost all hope for a good defensive return in Tampa that we have all been waiting for, as long as we are using the 4-3.
Last edited by Ghostrap on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
There are people everywhere who want to be the only one to speak. So I just ignore them. Literally.
Ghostrap

Re: Shocking benefits of a 3-4 defense

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:52 pm

This will end well.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:53 pm

W O W
Zarniwoop

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:55 pm

4-3. >>>. 3-4
Jason Bourne

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Stopped reading at 3-4 nickel.
Bootz2004

Postby Ghostrap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:4-3. >>>. 3-4

Elaborate.

Almost every single good and great defensive team in the league is a 3-4. Glance at all of the current teams.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/teams
Last edited by Ghostrap on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are people everywhere who want to be the only one to speak. So I just ignore them. Literally.
Ghostrap

Postby Ghostrap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Stopped reading at 3-4 nickel.

Why? A 3-4's nickel is different from a 4-3's nickel.
Ghostrap

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:12 pm

Ghostrap wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Stopped reading at 3-4 nickel.

You don't football do you, kyddo?
Bootz2004

Postby Ghostrap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:20 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Ghostrap wrote:

Am I willing to run a team to have "boys" bash their heads in? Hell no.

Was I willing to bash in players who were smaller than me? Hell no. The sole reason why I quit.

There are many ass-clowns who remain to either coach or play the game. Who don't know how to play the game right, from a tactical standpoint. Even in the NFL. The NFL is full of them.

How many seasons in a row did the Buccaneers run the ball on every single first down?
Last edited by Ghostrap on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostrap

Postby terrytate » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:31 pm

terrytate

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:34 pm

The top scoring defense in the NFL, the Minnesota Vikings, runs a 4-3 base defense. Indeed, four of the top five scoring defenses run a 4-3 base, the lone exception being the LA Chargers.

Good try though.

A wise coach once told me that there is no perfect defensive scheme. He said that scheme is largely irrelevant, that only two things matter from a schematic perspective. One, do you have the tools within that scheme to adjust to what the offense is trying to do, both during practice and in the game. Two, are you putting your players in a position to succeed within that scheme by letting them do the things they are best at. Everything else is just window dressing.

That guy is a great coach and one smart old bastard. Words of wisdom.
Cheb

Postby Ghostrap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:35 pm

terrytate wrote:Image

I've never smoked meth, but you better learn how to respect those who did, or else that will be on you, oh great prideful one.
Ghostrap

Postby Ghostrap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Cheb wrote:The top scoring defense in the NFL, the Minnesota Vikings, runs a 4-3 base defense. Indeed, four of the top five scoring defenses run a 4-3 base, the lone exception being the LA Chargers.

Good try though.

Stats are overrated. If the Vikings or Chargers offense sucks, the defense will see the field more. Which means more opportunities for a defense to bring one back.

Can 4-3 teams be successful. I never said otherwise. But teams like to be overly complex in the first place, only because they don't know any better.
Last edited by Ghostrap on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostrap

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:41 pm

Ghostrap wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Was I willing to bash in players who were smaller than me? Hell no. The sole reason why I quit.

There are many ass-clowns who remain to either coach or play the game. Who don't know how to play the game right, from a tactical standpoint. Even in the NFL. The NFL is full of them.

How many seasons in a row did the Buccaneers run the ball on every single first down?

You're deflecting. I'm still stuck on 3-4 nickel. You confirmed that you don't understand football by further stating that a 4-3 and 3-4 nickel are different. Here's a hint, kyddo....A 3-4 OR 4-3 CAN'T BE PLAYED IN NICKEL!
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:42 pm

What, in the ****, happened in here?!?

Somebody sniffin glue again?
Super K

Postby Ghostrap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:50 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Ghostrap wrote:

You're deflecting. I'm still stuck on 3-4 nickel. You confirmed that you don't understand football by further stating that a 4-3 and 3-4 nickel are different. Here's a hint, kyddo....A 3-4 OR 4-3 CAN'T BE PLAYED IN NICKEL!

You don't use 4-3 personnel in a 3-4. What is the difference of Baltimore's nickel, and Cincinnati's nickel? The difference is personnel. Ravens defense is built around the 3-4.Bengals defense is built around the 4-3. Bal's DL, LBs, have 3-4 size and skills. Cin's DL and LBs, have 4-3 size and skills.

I thought you would have already knew that, after you called me kyddo.
Last edited by Ghostrap on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostrap

Postby obsolete » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Ghostrap wrote:
Cheb wrote:The top scoring defense in the NFL, the Minnesota Vikings, runs a 4-3 base defense. Indeed, four of the top five scoring defenses run a 4-3 base, the lone exception being the LA Chargers.

Good try though.

Stats are overrated. If the Vikings or Chargers offense sucks, the defense will see the field more. Which means more opportunities for a defense to bring one back.

Can 4-3 teams be successful. I never said otherwise. But teams like to be overly complex in the first place, only because they don't know any better.

You just broke my brain.
obsolete

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Ghostrap wrote:

Good try though.

Most stats are overrated. Scoring defense is an exception.

At this point, you can either put down the shovel or keep digging. I advise the former and will enjoy watching you do the latter.
Cheb

Postby Ghostrap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 pm

obsolete wrote:
Ghostrap wrote:

You just broke my brain.

4-3 is overly complex. 3-4 is not overly complex. It is easier to get a 3-4 up and running than it is a 4-3. It is also easier to call successful defensive plays for the 3-4, than it is the 4-3. With the 4-3, only so much can go right, but so many things can go wrong. 3-4 is easier to call a dependable play, since players fill the more exploitable parts of the field easier, and have more suitable skill sets to matchup against NFL offenses.
Last edited by Ghostrap on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostrap

Postby obsolete » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Ghostrap wrote:
obsolete wrote:
You just broke my brain.

4-3 is overly complex. 3-4 is not overly complex. It is easier to get a 3-4 up and running than it is a 4-3. It is also easier to call successful defensive plays for the 3-4, than it is the 4-3. With the 4-3, only so much can go right, but so many things can go wrong. 3-4 is so easy to call the right play, since players fill the more exploitable parts of the field easier, and have more suitable skill sets to matchup against NFL offenses.

Youre confused. The thing that broke my brain was your scoring defense comment. There was so much wrong in that whole sentence..like every single thing is wrong.
Also the "nickel" thing is wrong too.
Please quit while you're behind. Step away from the keyboard.
obsolete

Postby Ghostrap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:12 pm

Cheb wrote:
Ghostrap wrote:

At this point, you can either put down the shovel or keep digging. I advise the former and will enjoy watching you do the latter.

When you said top scoring defense, I took it as their defense scored the most points.

Scoring defense is overrated. It is an overrated stat.

Take the Patriots. Tom Brady throws 3 TDs in the 1st half. Perhaps the Pats run it in for a TD. The Patriots are likely going to play a bend but don't break defense for the rest of the game. Their opponent is going to pass more, gain quite a bit of receiving yards, and then the clock will not run down that fast. When the Pats keeps scoring, creating a cushion, they can afford to let their opponent to keep scoring. I am a fan of passing the ball a lot. I don't like running it too much, and being too conservative like the Bucs were for a very long time.

If say, the Vikings and their opponent is constantly playing tight games, they will be running and passing equally. The clock will run down faster.
Last edited by Ghostrap on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ghostrap

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:17 pm

Ghostrap wrote:
Cheb wrote:

When you said top scoring defense, I took it as their defense scored the most points.

Take the Patriots. Tom Brady throws 3 TDs in the 1st half. Perhaps the Pats run it in for a TD. The Patriots are going to play a bend but don't break defense. Their opponent is going to pass more, gain quite a bit of receiving yards.

If say, the Vikings and their opponent is constantly playing tight games, they will be running and passing equally. The clock will run down faster.

Scoring defense is how many points a defense allows in a game. And if you don't know that, then you shouldn't be arguing the finer points of schematic nuance. That's like a guy who can't do multiplication arguing about calculus.

And funny that you mention the Patriots. They are a top five scoring defense.

Keep digging.
Cheb

Postby Ghostrap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:19 pm

Cheb wrote:
Ghostrap wrote:

Take the Patriots. Tom Brady throws 3 TDs in the 1st half. Perhaps the Pats run it in for a TD. The Patriots are going to play a bend but don't break defense. Their opponent is going to pass more, gain quite a bit of receiving yards.

Scoring defense is how many points a defense allows in a game. And if you don't know that, then you shouldn't be arguing the finer points of schematic nuance. That's like a guy who can't do multiplication arguing about calculus.

Now you are just trying to defend your pride.
Ghostrap

Postby Nano » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:21 pm

Nano

Postby Ghostrap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:23 pm

Cheb wrote:
Ghostrap wrote:

And funny that you mention the Patriots. They are a top five scoring defense.

Keep digging.

It was just an example.

Look at Minnesota's division for another variable. The bears and the lions. Plus GB was without Aaron Rodgers for a portion.
Ghostrap

Postby Cheb » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:26 pm

Ghostrap wrote:
Cheb wrote:

This has nothing to do with my pride, which is fine by the by.

Thirty seconds on Google would stop you from kicking yourself in the **** repeatedly. Research your opinions. Educate yourself, thereby bettering yourself.

A quick look at the top defenses in the NFL, and what schemes they run, would have either strengthened your initial premise or sunk it. If the former, post that in support. If the latter, maybe rethink your premise.

I find your effort lacking, and your doubling down on silly to be absurd.

Keep digging. Have a nice night.
Cheb

Postby Ghostrap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Another variable is weather conditions.

Plus there is only 10 points between the team who allowed the most points.
Ghostrap

Postby Ghostrap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:28 pm

Cheb wrote:
Ghostrap wrote:

This has nothing to do with my pride, which is fine by the by.

Thirty seconds on Google would stop you from kicking yourself in the **** repeatedly. Research your opinions. Educate yourself, thereby bettering yourself.

A quick look at the top defenses in the NFL, and what schemes they run, would have either strengthened your initial premise or sunk it. If the former, post that in support. If the latter, maybe rethink your premise.

I find your effort lacking, and your doubling down on silly to be absurd.

Keep digging. Have a nice night.

You are bringing stats to a gunfight. Stats are not facts. You need to do YOUR research.
Ghostrap

Postby Ghostrap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:31 pm

The world is full of debbie downers. This forum is no different. It is exhausting defending myself against 5 or so different debbie downers. Plus it is almost 12 am.

It is like you guys argue just to argue. Just keep in mind what I said in my original post. Take it into the future with you. I wasn't expecting all of the unnecessary instant closeminded doubt. I would have just posted my first post, and left for the night if I had known. I'm trying to defend myself against 5 debbie downers, through my cell phone. One letter/button at a time.

It takes experience to see what I am talking about, as far as the benefits of the 3-4. You must see what I noticed to agree with me. With time, you definately will. Watch.
Last edited by Ghostrap on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostrap

Postby Heisenberg » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:41 pm

Ghostrap wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

You don't use 4-3 personnel in a 3-4. What is the difference of Baltimore's nickel, and Cincinnati's nickel? The difference is personnel. Ravens defense is built around the 3-4.Bengals defense is built around the 4-3. Bal's DL, LBs, have 3-4 size and skills. Cin's DL and LBs, have 4-3 size and skills.

I thought you would have already knew that, after you called me kyddo.

Wow youre a moron.. Playing nickel with a 4-3 or 3-4 is literally impossible.
Heisenberg

Next

Return to Team Discussions