Dez Bryant released

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Dez Bryant released

Postby LavonteDavid54 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:50 pm

I can't simply accept a guy who's putting up 90 1300 14 average from 2012-2014. Along with coincidence that they draft RB #4 have a short young QB who tries to play it safe and shift their focus on O to use the line and high drafted RB.Whiten is non existent, Dez, name one receiver in their organization putting up numbers that are notable ( Beasley occasional TD )especially when fantasy football has now their hand in this wonderful league and how it's to be perceived and sold?Moss was washed up, TO washed up, Shannon Sharpe washed up, Keenan McCardell,Some DEFINITELY were writing off Fitz fit a couple years before his latest resurgance . So no, a 29 yr old athlete hungry with a chip, he ends up in Car?!!! Or NO?? Trust me it won't be a cake walk matching up with him.Jimmy Graham nbrs in Sea?? Is he less of a player? I think Dez has a solid 70-1100-10 in him . I hate Dallas so I'm happy.If nyg grab Barkley n OL in 2 to go with Solder n have healthy OBJ Dez Evan Engram. Two WRs with major chip n a QB with one to boot? Along with new coaching staff n a dynamic back n retooled oline? Why not? I witnessed the 99' Rams ( still hardest loss of any game by any team in my life), so anything can happen.
LavonteDavid54

Postby The Outsider » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:53 pm

Do you even format?
The Outsider

Postby Teitan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:20 pm

The Outsider wrote:Do you even format?

It’s so painful. He couldn’t have a point good enough for me to read that.
Teitan

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:05 pm

The Outsider wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Depends on if teams think he can recapture the old version of himself. He hasn't been very good for 3 straight seasons and will be 30yrs old this year.

I'd imagine his best chance to make close to the money he was due in Dallas would be on some type of incentive laded deal that requires him to produce.

But if Jarvis Landry can get $15m APY, I'm sure Dez can find a decent paycheck. Cowboys did him somewhat dirty by waiting this long to release him imo.

To be fair, Landry is a much better WR than Bryant at this point in their respective careers.

I would disagree with that. Landry has feasted off short slants and passes behind the line of scrimmage. His depth of target is laughably short compared to the true receiving threats in the league.

Dez being released is because he doesn’t fit with Dak at all. Which says more about Dak IMO.
Ken Carson

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:29 pm

Take the name off the jersey and you've got a who's missed 9 games the last three years...who just posted a career low in YPC...who's had questions about his attitude literally his entire career...and who was set to count $16.5 mil against the cap this year (they saved about half of that with the release.) So yeah, I get it.

If he wasn't DEZ BRYANT on AMERICA'S TEAM, nobody would bat an eyelash at the release. Frankly, the Raiders releasing Michael Crabtree and the Packers releasing Jordy Nelson were tougher sells than this.

As for where it leaves them, it leaves them exactly where they already were: in need of upgrading their weapons.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:39 pm

MJW wrote:Take the name off the jersey and you've got a who's missed 9 games the last three years...who just posted a career low in YPC...who's had questions about his attitude literally his entire career...and who was set to count $16.5 mil against the cap this year (they saved about half of that with the release.) So yeah, I get it.

If he wasn't DEZ BRYANT on AMERICA'S TEAM, nobody would bat an eyelash at the release. Frankly, the Raiders releasing Michael Crabtree and the Packers releasing Jordy Nelson were tougher sells than this.

As for where it leaves them, it leaves them exactly where they already were: in need of upgrading their weapons.

This means a lot from the person calling Phillip Dorsett and Cordarrelle Patterson contributors.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:Take the name off the jersey and you've got a who's missed 9 games the last three years...who just posted a career low in YPC...who's had questions about his attitude literally his entire career...and who was set to count $16.5 mil against the cap this year (they saved about half of that with the release.) So yeah, I get it.

This means a lot from the person calling Phillip Dorsett and Cordarrelle Patterson contributors.

MJW wrote:It's a good group. Kenny Britt, Matthews, Edelman coming back, Chris Hogan...maybe Malcolm Mitchell, Cordarrelle Patterson, and Phillip Dorsett can contribute, too.

You should work for CNN.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:56 pm

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

MJW wrote:It's a good group. Kenny Britt, Matthews, Edelman coming back, Chris Hogan...maybe Malcolm Mitchell, Cordarrelle Patterson, and Phillip Dorsett can contribute, too.

You should work for CNN.

You do realize adding the other names enhances my point, right? Well obviously you don't get it. Your bad, kyddo.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:00 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

You should work for CNN.

You do realize adding the other names enhances my point, right? Well obviously you don't get it. Your bad, kyddo.

You do realize that saying, "Maybe something could happen" is not remotely the same thing as saying, "Here's something that's going to happen," right?
MJW

Postby Cheb » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:21 pm

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

You do realize that saying, "Maybe something could happen" is not remotely the same thing as saying, "Here's something that's going to happen," right?

I do realize you called a group of below average receivers a good group. You don't realize it.
Bootz2004

Postby The Outsider » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
The Outsider wrote:
To be fair, Landry is a much better WR than Bryant at this point in their respective careers.

I would disagree with that. Landry has feasted off short slants and passes behind the line of scrimmage. His depth of target is laughably short compared to the true receiving threats in the league.

Dez being released is because he doesn’t fit with Dak at all. Which says more about Dak IMO.

The only routes Dez can run are the go and the fade, sometimes. He rarely can run a decent slant. Dez got by on being big and outmatching coreners physically until he broke down. As for his volume, he was force fed for years by Romo, and usually because he was the only decent receiver they had.

Landry is, like you said, somewhat limited himself. But his lesser number of targets has far more to do with worse QBs, and teams in general, as well as not being the main target in the offense.
The Outsider

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:37 am

The Outsider wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:I would disagree with that. Landry has feasted off short slants and passes behind the line of scrimmage. His depth of target is laughably short compared to the true receiving threats in the league.

The only routes Dez can run are the go and the fade, sometimes. He rarely can run a decent slant. Dez got by on being big and outmatching coreners physically until he broke down. As for his volume, he was force fed for years by Romo, and usually because he was the only decent receiver they had.

Landry is, like you said, somewhat limited himself. But his lesser number of targets has far more to do with worse QBs, and teams in general, as well as not being the main target in the offense.

I suppose I can agree with you here, with the major emphasis being on the decline of Dez, not about the prowess of Landry, who I think is one of the most overrated players in the league.

Although I want to be clear, Landry gets number 1 WR targets. He catches a lot of them. And puts up fringe WR 2 numbers with them. 161 targets, 112 receptions, 980 yards last year. Over his career, he has been a 100 catch 1000 yard 5 TD guy while always getting the lion’s share of targets in the Miami offense (56 more than anyone else last season).

Compare that to Dez, who even the last 2 years with Dak has underperformed. He has far fewer targets or receptions, but is only off Landry’s yardage by 350, has the same number of TDs. Again that is with 70 fewer targets.
Ken Carson

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:49 am

Dez still has good years ahead. If you actually watched the Cowboys, you'd know that Dak just isn't the type of QB who throws those 50/50 balls Dez excels at. Ironically Dez would be a great fit here if we didn't have DeSean.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:51 am

Ken Carson wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

I suppose I can agree with you here, with the major emphasis being on the decline of Dez, not about the prowess of Landry, who I think is one of the most overrated players in the league.

Although I want to be clear, Landry gets number 1 WR targets. He catches a lot of them. And puts up fringe WR 2 numbers with them. 161 targets, 112 receptions, 980 yards last year. Over his career, he has been a 100 catch 1000 yard 5 TD guy while always getting the lion’s share of targets in the Miami offense (56 more than anyone else last season).

Compare that to Dez, who even the last 2 years with Dak has underperformed. He has far fewer targets or receptions, but is only off Landry’s yardage by 350, has the same number of TDs. Again that is with 70 fewer targets.

Your random hate for Landry is truly bizzare.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:09 am

I agree with Ken on Landry in that he's overrated. He's certainly productive and good at what he does. I just don't think how he gets that production is worth the investment in salary cap sport.

He's not a threat beyond 10yds from the LOS relative to other WRs that get paid like him and you can find guys the are effective slot/short yardage WRs for way less than $15m a year. Landry isn't a gamebreaker that defenses gameplan during the week for where they make a effort to take him away. On they contrary they are likely content with him getting his 8 receptions for 80yds while staying in their regular defense.

In the end Landry just isn't a WR1. But he's a great compliment to an offense. Just an expensive one.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:13 am

DreadNaught wrote:I agree with Ken on Landry in that he's overrated. He's certainly productive and good at what he does. I just don't think how he gets that production is worth the investment in salary cap sport.

He's not a threat beyond 10yds from the LOS relative to other WRs that get paid like him and you can find guys the are effective slot/short yardage WRs for way less than $15m a year. Landry isn't a gamebreaker that defenses gameplan during the week for where they make a effort to take him away. On they contrary they are likely content with him getting his 8 receptions for 80yds while staying in their regular defense.

In the end Landry just isn't a WR1. But he's a great compliment to an offense. Just an expensive one.

Ken has been ripping on Landry since before he played a game in the NFL. Guy is having a very nice career... better than even some of the guys taken before him in that excellent 2014 WR draft.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:23 am

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I agree with Ken on Landry in that he's overrated. He's certainly productive and good at what he does. I just don't think how he gets that production is worth the investment in salary cap sport.

Ken has been ripping on Landry since before he played a game in the NFL. Guy is having a very nice career... better than even some of the guys taken before him in that excellent 2014 WR draft.

I don't think anyone is disputing Landry has had a great start to his career. It's just a discussion of value based on the type of WR he is. In a capped sport I personally wouldn't want my team to pay WR1 money to a WR like Landry is all. That doesn't mean he's not a good player.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:35 am

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Ken has been ripping on Landry since before he played a game in the NFL. Guy is having a very nice career... better than even some of the guys taken before him in that excellent 2014 WR draft.

I don't think anyone is disputing Landry has had a great start to his career. It's just a discussion of value based on the type of WR he is. In a capped sport I personally wouldn't want my team to pay WR1 money to a WR like Landry is all. That doesn't mean he's not a good player.

I just find it amusing that Ken needs to chime in on how overrated Landry is... he's been singing this tune for a half decade- it just is such a random crusade...
real bucs fan

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:47 am

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I just find it amusing that Ken needs to chime in on how overrated Landry is... he's been singing this tune for a half decade- it just is such a random crusade...

Translation: ‘Ken was right about Landry, and I can’t admit it.’

It’s OK, bud. You thought he belonged in the discussion with Beckham and Evans, but at least you can hang your hat on him being better than Davante Adams and Jordan Matthews. That’s definitely worth $15 million/season (and more than AJ Green, Julio Jones and Alshon Jeffery).

But I will give you a chance to shut me up. Go and find me the WR who has done less with 400 career receptions than Jarvis Landry. If the name impresses me, I’ll never post about him again.
Ken Carson

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:03 am

Ken Carson wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I just find it amusing that Ken needs to chime in on how overrated Landry is... he's been singing this tune for a half decade- it just is such a random crusade...

Translation: ‘Ken was right about Landry, and I can’t admit it.’

It’s OK, bud. You thought he belonged in the discussion with Beckham and Evans, but at least you can hang your hat on him being better than Davante Adams and Jordan Matthews. That’s definitely worth $15 million/season (and more than AJ Green, Julio Jones and Alshon Jeffery).

But I will give you a chance to shut me up. Go and find me the WR who has done less with 400 career receptions than Jarvis Landry. If the name impressed me, I’ll never post about him again.

LMAO

Way to move the goalposts. My statement was always simply that he belonged in the conversation when discussing the 2014 WR draft class, a list that includes 11 WRs who were drafted ahead of him. He's surpassed a bunch of guys who were on that 2014 list that you said he didn't deserve to be a part of. That was the conversation.

Where would you rank him among that 2014 WR group? He's gotta be top 5 for sure. I'd probably put him 4th right now, after Beckham, Evans, and Adams (who I always liked and think is still going to be an absolute monster).
real bucs fan

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:18 am

Cheb wrote:Image

Hahaha exactly how I felt
theBKwhopper

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:22 am

I actually remember the exact conversation (my memory is absurdly good).

Dreadnaught: This 2014 WR group is going to go down as one of the best ever. Watkins, Evans, OBJ, Cooks, Benjamin, Robinson, Matthews, Adams...

ME: Don't forget about Jarvis Landry.

Ken: Landry doesn't deserve to be in that conversation! (rant about how Landry is a complete bum and then following me around thread to thread for years to rip on how terrible Landry is only to look silly now)
real bucs fan

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:02 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I actually remember the exact conversation (my memory is absurdly good).

Dreadnaught: This 2014 WR group is going to go down as one of the best ever. Watkins, Evans, OBJ, Cooks, Benjamin, Robinson, Matthews, Adams...

Ken: Landry doesn't deserve to be in that conversation! (rant about how Landry is a complete bum and then following me around thread to thread for years to rip on how terrible Landry is only to look silly now)

Actually, I started the thread, Mr. Steel Trap Memory. The thread was about the best, there was a poll to vote on which receiver was the BEST. You had to get in there with your Jarvis Landry is a beast take, and I informed you we were talking about the BEST, not the possession receivers who make a good second option.
Ken Carson

Postby Hatter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Mr. Steel Trap Memory... :lol:
Hatter

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I actually remember the exact conversation (my memory is absurdly good).

Actually, I started the thread, Mr. Steel Trap Memory. The thread was about the best, there was a poll to vote on which receiver was the BEST. You had to get in there with your Jarvis Landry is a beast take, and I informed you we were talking about the BEST, not the possession receivers who make a good second option.

The post I originally responded to had at least a half dozen guys mentioned. OBJ and Evans are the top of the class, but Landry is quite firmly in the next group.
real bucs fan

Postby Rocker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:09 pm

r/iamverysmart
Rocker

Postby Naismith » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Ken Carson wrote:... but at least you can hang your hat on him being better than Davante Adams

If the Dolphins had offered Landry for Adams, the Packers would have laughed uproariously and hung up on them.
Naismith

Postby MJW » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:25 pm

Naismith wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:... but at least you can hang your hat on him being better than Davante Adams

If the Dolphins had offered Landry for Adams, the Packers would have laughed uproariously and hung up on them.

This...is completely true.

Landry is like Wes Welker. He's DAMN good at the thing he does, but he doesn't do a lot of other stuff that guys in this particular conversation are able to do.

And FWIW, the thing he does is really, really valuable. He's going to mean so much to the Cleveland offense. But you still need a #1 receiver to do #1 receiver things down the field.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:59 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

I do realize you called a group of below average receivers a good group. You don't realize it.

Coming from the guy who thinks 22-42 Jason Licht is doing a good job, that stings.
MJW

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions