Dez Bryant released

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Dez Bryant released

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:20 pm

Jason Bourne

Re: Dez Bryant released

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Big hole left on that offense
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Big hole left on that offense

Not really. Dez is nothing but a RZ threat at this point. Certainly not worth the money they were paying him.

Dez is going to be 30yrs old next year and has averaged just 678yds and 5 TDs over the past 3 seasons. You can't blame injuries either b/c he played ALL 16 games last season and still only had 838yds.

Smart move for the Cowboys imo as Dez isn't a WR1. Dez was a beast for a few years in his career, but I have my doubts he can recapture the player he was at 26yrs old at this point.
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Their WR group might be the worst in the league...
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:38 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

Not really. Dez is nothing but a RZ threat at this point. Certainly not worth the money they were paying him.

Dez is going to be 30yrs old next year and has averaged just 678yds and 5 TDs over the past 3 seasons. You can't blame injuries either b/c he played ALL 16 games last season and still only had 838yds.

Smart move for the Cowboys imo as Dez isn't a WR1. Dez was a beast for a few years in his career, but I have my doubts he can recapture the player he was at 26yrs old at this point.

Please. They have Allen Hurns and Terrance Williams as their top receivers. This is definitely a big loss.

That said your assessment doesn't shock me. This is a board that thinks Kenny Britt, Chris Hogan, Cordarrelle Patterson and Phillip Dorsett is a good group.

Losing the guy who's been your leading receiver for nearly a decade is definitely a big loss.
Bootz2004

Postby Konatown » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Please. They have Allen Hurns and Terrance Williams as their top receivers. This is definitely a big loss.

That said your assessment doesn't shock me. This is a board that thinks Kenny Britt, Chris Hogan, Cordarrelle Patterson and Phillip Dorsett is a good group.

Losing the guy who's been your leading receiver for nearly a decade is definitely a big loss.

You forget Gronkowski and Edelman. And the GOAT who consistently makes chicken salad out of Chicken **** WRs.

But I agree on Dez, if I’m Dallas besides heavily relying on a potential rookie what other options do you have now? I wonder if Dez declined to take a pay cut.
Konatown

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Dez and Dak just didn't mesh. Calvin Ridley would be a good fit for them I think.
real bucs fan

Postby Konatown » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Dez and Dak just didn't mesh. Calvin Ridley would be a good fit for them I think.

I think they go after the local Kid Sutton from SMU.
Konatown

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Not surprising your simple mind groups everyone who doesn't agree with you into the same bucket as if they all must think the same simply b/c they don't agree with you. This may come as a surprise to you but there is often more than two ways to look at any situation.

Dez's production is replaceable for a much lower cost and that is why the Cowboys moved on. I figured you would be on board since you often advocate for paying for current/future performance instead of name recognition based on past performance.

Name a WR in the ENTIRE NFL that has more targets for less yards than Dez over the past 3 seasons.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 pm

Konatown wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Dez and Dak just didn't mesh. Calvin Ridley would be a good fit for them I think.

I think they go after the local Kid Sutton from SMU.

Sutton plays a Dez like game- plus likely goes ahead of them I think.

Ridley is what they need, someone who can add speed to their O and turn short passes into long gains with their RAC ability.

I think Ridley would be the target.
real bucs fan

Postby The Outsider » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Tony Romo made Dez look better than he is.
The Outsider

Postby MikeC » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:05 pm

I wonder if he has enough left in the tank to command a good salary.
MikeC

Postby SIBucsFan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:11 pm

Dallas offense - last 3 seasons

2015 - 27th
2016 - 23rd
2017 - 26th

I feel like the overall ineptitude and/or a lack of passing in general is partly the reason for his decline since 2014. He isn't like he was back then, when he was in the top 5 WR conversation, he's probably fallen out of top 20 by now, but he could have a resurgence in the right offense with the right QB.

I could see him playing in Houston. He's Texas grown. He would be playing with the new most exciting QB in the league--Deshaun Watson. He's never had a receiver close to the capabilities of DeAndre Hopkins to take the attention off him. Even though they went 4-12 last year they should still be competitors given the weak AFC South, and with hope that Watson plays a full season. He could be a 1,000+ yard receiver as a #2 with the Texans if everything goes well.
SIBucsFan

Postby Caradoc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:11 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

m

The board doesn’t think thats a good group, one poster does.
Caradoc

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:12 pm

MikeC wrote:I wonder if he has enough left in the tank to command a good salary.

Depends on if teams think he can recapture the old version of himself. He hasn't been very good for 3 straight seasons and will be 30yrs old this year.

I'd imagine his best chance to make close to the money he was due in Dallas would be on some type of incentive laded deal that requires him to produce.

But if Jarvis Landry can get $15m APY, I'm sure Dez can find a decent paycheck. Cowboys did him somewhat dirty by waiting this long to release him imo.
DreadNaught

Postby The Outsider » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:13 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
MikeC wrote:I wonder if he has enough left in the tank to command a good salary.

Depends on if teams think he can recapture the old version of himself. He hasn't been very good for 3 straight seasons and will be 30yrs old this year.

I'd imagine his best chance to make close to the money he was due in Dallas would be on some type of incentive laded deal that requires him to produce.

But if Jarvis Landry can get $15m APY, I'm sure Dez can find a decent paycheck. Cowboys did him somewhat dirty by waiting this long to release him imo.

To be fair, Landry is a much better WR than Bryant at this point in their respective careers.
The Outsider

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:12 pm

SIBucsFan wrote:Dallas offense - last 3 seasons

2015 - 27th
2016 - 23rd
2017 - 26th

I feel like the overall ineptitude and/or a lack of passing in general is partly the reason for his decline since 2014. He isn't like he was back then, when he was in the top 5 WR conversation, he's probably fallen out of top 20 by now, but he could have a resurgence in the right offense with the right QB.

I could see him playing in Houston. He's Texas grown. He would be playing with the new most exciting QB in the league--Deshaun Watson. He's never had a receiver close to the capabilities of DeAndre Hopkins to take the attention off him. Even though they went 4-12 last year they should still be competitors given the weak AFC South, and with hope that Watson plays a full season. He could be a 1,000+ yard receiver as a #2 with the Texans if everything goes well.

or Saints
Phantom Phenom

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:14 pm

The Outsider wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

To be fair, Landry is a much better WR than Bryant at this point in their respective careers.

Agreed 100%
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:11 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Not surprising your simple mind groups everyone who doesn't agree with you into the same bucket as if they all must think the same simply b/c they don't agree with you. This may come as a surprise to you but there is often more than two ways to look at any situation.

Dez's production is replaceable for a much lower cost and that is why the Cowboys moved on. I figured you would be on board since you often advocate for paying for current/future performance instead of name recognition based on past performance.

Name a WR in the ENTIRE NFL that has more targets for less yards than Dez over the past 3 seasons.

As someone who gets the “privilege” of being force fed Cowboy games, DN is spot on. Dez is nothing special anymore. For a while he was a legit top 10 receiver but not lately. He hasn’t even been getting doubled lately like he used to helping others get open.

Way too much money for his production and impact.

Beasley is good in the slot and Williams is a good secondary target. But they need help. I think they take Sutton in the first (like the brilliant guy did in the board mock!!)
Zarniwoop

Postby Super K » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:16 pm

Terrance Williams is absolute ****....cowboy fans were going apeshit about their WR corps BEFORE Dez was released...

I'll make this more simple...our RB group > their WR group...

So if we are scared shitless about who.is gonna tote the rock for us, imagine how they feel about who is gonna catch it..
Super K

Postby Nano » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:16 pm

Sign him Dom
Nano

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Super K wrote:Terrance Williams is absolute ****....cowboy fans were going apeshit about their WR corps BEFORE Dez was released...

I'll make this more simple...our RB group > their WR group...

So if we are scared shitless about who.is gonna tote the rock for us, imagine how they feel about who is gonna catch it..

Anyone saying Dez leaving isnt a big deal is simply a Cowboys/Dez hater. Anyone who says Terrance Williams is good for ANYTHING. is trolling or an idiot. Dez Bryant today is better than every receiver they currently have at their absolute peak. You can argue about him not being worth the salary. But to suggest guys like Cole Beasley or Terrance Williams are better is stupidity.
Bootz2004

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Lol. Who said Williams or Beasley are better?
Zarniwoop

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Lol. Who said Williams or Beasley are better?

What exactly was the purpose of trying to pump them up then?
Bootz2004

Postby acmillis » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:59 pm

They should just sign Jacoby Jones who is a great #2 we, amirite, Bootz?
acmillis

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:01 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Lol. Who said Williams or Beasley are better?

Where did I pump them up? I said one is a decent slot guy and the other is a decent secondary guy.

Damn you try hard to argue and feel superior.
Zarniwoop

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:07 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Where did I pump them up? I said one is a decent slot guy and the other is a decent secondary guy.

Damn you try hard to argue and feel superior.

Again, that's pumping them up. They are among the most subpar WRs in the league. Williams hasn't scored a TD since 2016 and Beasley averages about 10 yards a catch.
Bootz2004

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:11 pm

Lol, ok
Zarniwoop

Postby theBKwhopper » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:12 pm

Dang what happened to Williams last year?
theBKwhopper

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:20 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:Dang what happened to Williams last year?

His same level of suck except he didn't score any TDs. He can't get open consistently despite having good speed and he drops and misplays so many passes thrown his way.
Bootz2004

Next

Return to Team Discussions