Which former Buc would you add to the current roster!?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Which former Buc would you add to the current roster!?

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:33 am

Doctor wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:No love for Steve Young?

Thought about this too but so much of a QB success depends on the system, scheme, coaching staff, etc. IDK just how well Young would do under a DK system and regime. We could very well end up playing out that situation exactly the same. Having Bo (who wants to be here) would almost guarantee to work out.

Steve Young in his prime would have made season much much different, and would undoubtedly change the perspective of DK's system and play calling. Execution was a MAJOR issue last year.

QB certainly isn't a need, and, no disrespect to Jameis, but we are talking about an all-time great HOF QB.

I kinda snickered at the Bo comment, because he was never really a Buc... but I'd say he qualifies and is a damn fine choice; so are Sapp and Selmon.

Also worth noting in this hypothetical scenario, we could then trade Jameis for a hefty ransom to help our pass rush and/or the defensive or offensive backfield.
Deja Entendu

Postby NYBF » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:06 am

Deja Entendu wrote:I kinda snickered at the Bo comment, because he was never really a Buc...

I kind of feel the same about Revis. Yes, I know there are differences. Especially considering Revis actually took the field for the Bucs. But the Revis the people who chose him want is not the Revis that was in Tampa. Every other name mentioned - yes - you want their Tampa iteration. But as far as this discussion goes, Revis doesn't make sense to me.
NYBF

Postby SIBucsFan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:28 am

bahamian:bucfan wrote:CarL Nicks: I know this one may surprise a few people BUT did you guys see the way he man handled dlinemen in his prime. This dude is the Warren Sapp equivalent for the oline, just nasty! Put him on this line and running lanes would open up like the red sea. In pass protection, nothing is coming up the middle. Also, if Mr Smith gets in trouble, Nicks would be able to help him out. Can you imagine this offense if Winston can stand in the pocket as long as qb’s did against us last year! Winston would throw for 6000 yards!

This excerpt from your post makes me sad. I wish Nicks had lasted. He truly had Hall of Fame potential. The closest thing the game has seen to Larry Allen in terms of physical dominance from an offensive lineman.
SIBucsFan

Postby terrytate » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:41 am

If we are including Carl Nick's, then we would have to include Randall McDaniel.

Still, I think this thread was wrapped up quickly. Selmon/Rice are the obvious answers given that we need a hall of fame level talent at DE a lot more than we do at DT, otherwise it would be Sapp.

I could agree with Revis if we get the guy from his early Jets years and not the guy who played for us.
terrytate

Postby nhbucsfan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:25 pm

I’d go with James Wilder
nhbucsfan

Postby MikeC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:37 pm

I’ll go Sapp too. Every day. All day. Blow up the team and start over with just him and we’ll get there again. He was more than a DT. He was a game changer for us.
MikeC

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:51 pm

If we are only counting their play with the Bucs, then I'd have to agree with Sapp -- dude was an absolute monster and a leader on the field (despite his off field antics).

I wasn't around for Selmon, so it wouldn't be an honest opinion.
Deja Entendu

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:53 pm

NYBF wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:I kinda snickered at the Bo comment, because he was never really a Buc...

I kind of feel the same about Revis. Yes, I know there are differences. Especially considering Revis actually took the field for the Bucs. But the Revis the people who chose him want is not the Revis that was in Tampa. Every other name mentioned - yes - you want their Tampa iteration. But as far as this discussion goes, Revis doesn't make sense to me.

The day we acquired Revis literally felt like Christmas to me. I'm still bitter about the whole thing... especially when I see my creamsicle Revis jersey folded in my closet.
Deja Entendu

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Keyshawn Johnson.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Buc2 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:07 pm

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Doctor » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:38 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
Doctor wrote:Thought about this too but so much of a QB success depends on the system, scheme, coaching staff, etc. IDK just how well Young would do under a DK system and regime. We could very well end up playing out that situation exactly the same. Having Bo (who wants to be here) would almost guarantee to work out.

Steve Young in his prime would have made season much much different, and would undoubtedly change the perspective of DK's system and play calling. Execution was a MAJOR issue last year.

QB certainly isn't a need, and, no disrespect to Jameis, but we are talking about an all-time great HOF QB.

I kinda snickered at the Bo comment, because he was never really a Buc... but I'd say he qualifies and is a damn fine choice; so are Sapp and Selmon.

Also worth noting in this hypothetical scenario, we could then trade Jameis for a hefty ransom to help our pass rush and/or the defensive or offensive backfield.

That's the thing, I've come to believe HoF QBs don't exists in a vacuum. It's not like Rodgers would be a HoF if instead he was drafted by the dolphins. Or Brady by the browns.
Doctor

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:49 am

Bo Jackson
Noles1724

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:56 am

Doctor wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:

That's the thing, I've come to believe HoF QBs don't exists in a vacuum. It's not like Rodgers would be a HoF if instead he was drafted by the dolphins. Or Brady by the browns.

Purposely side stepping the Bucs!
mdb1958

Postby LavonteDavid54 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:09 am

Paul Gruber , and then Donnie Abraham.
LavonteDavid54

Postby LavonteDavid54 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:27 am

In all honesty, Rice would be most valuable at this point. He's the big quick answer. Sapp close 2nd or tied. I made my picks assuming the two studs on the line would be 90% of the answers. I gave my two already but a 3rd who'd be greatly appreciated is Hardy Nickerson. Sorry folks, Kwon could never and will never be able to cover and completely take away the deep intermediate area like Hardy did.As well as lay bone jarring hits consistently at the line of scrimmage. I like him and he's had very good games but there's also been a handful of games he gets engulfed.John Lynch should have got way more votes as well. That man filled the gap and crushed a RB entire existence at the line or a yard deep.He also could get that big int when needed.It wasn't until 1998 and Vance came in to sub for Lynch and him not stuffing the right gaps and blowing up air at the line, showed in 10 minutes just how extremely valuable he was.Theres too many to pick one. Shoot two years ago Martin Gramattica gets us 11-5 n playoffs .Ill start with new uniforms.
LavonteDavid54

Postby terrytate » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:40 pm

LavonteDavid54 wrote:In all honesty, Rice would be most valuable at this point. He's the big quick answer. Sapp close 2nd or tied. I made my picks assuming the two studs on the line would be 90% of the answers. I gave my two already but a 3rd who'd be greatly appreciated is Hardy Nickerson. Sorry folks, Kwon could never and will never be able to cover and completely take away the deep intermediate area like Hardy did.As well as lay bone jarring hits consistently at the line of scrimmage. I like him and he's had very good games but there's also been a handful of games he gets engulfed.John Lynch should have got way more votes as well. That man filled the gap and crushed a RB entire existence at the line or a yard deep.He also could get that big int when needed.It wasn't until 1998 and Vance came in to sub for Lynch and him not stuffing the right gaps and blowing up air at the line, showed in 10 minutes just how extremely valuable he was.Theres too many to pick one. Shoot two years ago Martin Gramattica gets us 11-5 n playoffs .Ill start with new uniforms.

I loved me some Hardy but Kwon IS pretty damned good in the middle and we have Beckwith who could be just as good. John Lynch would foul out of the league in it's current form. Look at his highlight reel and see how many of his great hits would be a flag and possible suspension.

As for Rice, as much as I respect what he did in his time here if we want a DE you take Lee Roy Selmon. There is a reason why he was the first Buc in the Hall of Fame.

terrytate

Postby Agent Orange » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:10 pm

I'm going to go with Doug Williams. Can you imagine what Doug Williams would do with our WRs.
Agent Orange

Postby MJW » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:18 pm

Doctor wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:

This would be my obstacle as well. If Young had played his entire career in Tampa, he'd have ended up a mainstay on those, "Players who were better than you realized" countdown lists. He wouldn't be in the Hall Of Fame.

If you're asking me, what former Bucs (as in, who played in a game here) would most help the current roster....I'd probably say Simeon Rice. When you look at this team, and our strengths and weaknesses, the added dimension of a 15 sack rusher does more for our W/L than anything else I can think to add.
MJW

Postby LavonteDavid54 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:20 pm

terrytate wrote:
LavonteDavid54 wrote:In all honesty, Rice would be most valuable at this point. He's the big quick answer. Sapp close 2nd or tied. I made my picks assuming the two studs on the line would be 90% of the answers. I gave my two already but a 3rd who'd be greatly appreciated is Hardy Nickerson. Sorry folks, Kwon could never and will never be able to cover and completely take away the deep intermediate area like Hardy did.As well as lay bone jarring hits consistently at the line of scrimmage. I like him and he's had very good games but there's also been a handful of games he gets engulfed.John Lynch should have got way more votes as well. That man filled the gap and crushed a RB entire existence at the line or a yard deep.He also could get that big int when needed.It wasn't until 1998 and Vance came in to sub for Lynch and him not stuffing the right gaps and blowing up air at the line, showed in 10 minutes just how extremely valuable he was.Theres too many to pick one. Shoot two years ago Martin Gramattica gets us 11-5 n playoffs .Ill start with new uniforms.

I loved me some Hardy but Kwon IS pretty damned good in the middle and we have Beckwith who could be just as good. John Lynch would foul out of the league in it's current form. Look at his highlight reel and see how many of his great hits would be a flag and possible suspension.

As for Rice, as much as I respect what he did in his time here if we want a DE you take Lee Roy Selmon. There is a reason why he was the first Buc in the Hall of Fame.

I respect your opinion.I just never saw a game where Hardy was absent.I like Kwon but Hardy was arguably a leader on a team of good leaders in their own right.Heart and soul of that LB corps.Regarding Selmon I know his accomplishments and greatness but I became a die-hard fan just after his time(30-17 playoff loss vs Dal), and Simeon closed out games that needed a sack of hurry a bit better than Sapp.Also like the 97,99 squads would have to not allow 10-15 yards to the other team after a punt to midfield or they would be in fg range to win and Hardy would make that play that just left them short.He gets forgotten on just how much he closed out games with our backs against the wall.No right or wrong answers to this post just fav player preferences I guess.
LavonteDavid54

Postby terrytate » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:22 pm

LavonteDavid54 wrote:
terrytate wrote:

I respect your opinion.I just never saw a game where Hardy was absent.I like Kwon but Hardy was arguably a leader on a team of good leaders in their own right.Heart and soul of that LB corps.Regarding Selmon I know his accomplishments and greatness but I became a die-hard fan just after his time(30-17 playoff loss vs Dal), and Simeon closed out games that needed a sack of hurry a bit better than Sapp.Also like the 97,99 squads would have to not allow 10-15 yards to the other team after a punt to midfield or they would be in fg range to win and Hardy would make that play that just left them short.He gets forgotten on just how much he closed out games with our backs against the wall.No right or wrong answers to this post just fav player preferences I guess.

You don't have to sell me on Hardy. He's still my shortlist of favorite Bucs and has become criminally underrated. It's just that we have a fairly young, pro bowl caliber guy at Mike already and another guy in the wings with the potential to be just as good.

If we were cherry picking one guy who could help the team the most, DE is a far bigger need and a position where we have a guy who had Hall of Fame career spent entirely in Tampa. And let's be clear, Selmon was every bit the pass rusher that Rice was while also being a dominant run defender. He doesn't have the career sacks of Rice because it wasn't a stat that was tracked until his last three years, years where injury was ending his career.
terrytate

Postby Heidguy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:51 am

Mark Alstatt
Heidguy

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:05 am

LeRoy Selmon
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:06 am

Heidguy wrote:Mark Alstatt

Who the hell is this?

:roll: :roll:
Patrick McIrish

Postby Buc2 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:08 am

Patrick McIrish wrote:
Heidguy wrote:Mark Alstatt

Who the hell is this?

:roll: :roll:

**** Stockton.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Caradoc » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:30 pm

The Alstatt thing is an "inside joke" (sorta for Buc fans. No wonder PMI is confused.
Caradoc

Previous

Return to Team Discussions