List your top 5 Positions of need in order

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: List your top 5 Positions of need in order

Postby Caradoc » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:40 pm

Well I assume "need" means a place where we do not have a starter I would call "adequate" (or a position group that needs multiple starters of that level like DE). Doctor was long-winded about it but basically correct, that's what people generally mean when they say "need".
Caradoc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:57 pm

Caradoc wrote:Well I assume "need" means a place where we do not have a starter I would call "adequate" (or a position group that needs multiple starters of that level like DE). Doctor was long-winded about it but basically correct, that's what people generally mean when they say "need".

Different people on this board have a different meaning of adequate. Someone saying OG isn't wrong if they think Sweezy sucks and/or is injured. Also, people thinking DE is a need judging by last years production and Licht's FA success isn't outlandish either. Some believe EDGE is always a need.
uscbucsfan

Postby theBKwhopper » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:09 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Caradoc wrote:Well I assume "need" means a place where we do not have a starter I would call "adequate" (or a position group that needs multiple starters of that level like DE). Doctor was long-winded about it but basically correct, that's what people generally mean when they say "need".

Different people on this board have a different meaning of adequate. Someone saying OG isn't wrong if they think Sweezy sucks and/or is injured. Also, people thinking DE is a need judging by last years production and Licht's FA success isn't outlandish either. Some believe EDGE is always a need.

Exactly.
theBKwhopper

Postby terrytate » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:22 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:

There is the matter of positions where we desperately need one guy vs positions where we need several players. Like RB vs CB.

RB might just be the single biggest need we have but we only need to draft one guy, maybe two if we are feeling saucy. CB is a spot where we need a minimum of two players.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:19 am

terrytate wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Different people on this board have a different meaning of adequate. Someone saying OG isn't wrong if they think Sweezy sucks and/or is injured. Also, people thinking DE is a need judging by last years production and Licht's FA success isn't outlandish either. Some believe EDGE is always a need.

There is the matter of positions where we desperately need one guy vs positions where we need several players. Like RB vs CB.

RB might just be the single biggest need we have but we only need to draft one guy, maybe two if we are feeling saucy. CB is a spot where we need a minimum of two players.

I like Peyton Barber's chances of doing what he needs to do in his role 1000x more than I like Ryan Smith as a starting boundary corner. A million times. Peyton Barber? Blocked for 3, gains 4. Sure. 22-81? Cool with me. But Ryan Smith? 60 snaps a game covering someone with much more talent than he has? Bleah.

I think/hope we're targeting Denzel Ward. Stop and think about it. Grimes is older than eight tracks. VHIII is maybe a workable nickel corner. Then what? Then nothing. I think we're targeting Ward.
MJW

Postby MikeC » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:36 am

DreadNaught wrote:Defense
Offense
Special Teams
Ownership
Coaching

lol
MikeC

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:11 am

MJW wrote:
terrytate wrote:

I like Peyton Barber's chances of doing what he needs to do in his role 1000x more than I like Ryan Smith as a starting boundary corner. A million times. Peyton Barber? Blocked for 3, gains 4. Sure. 22-81? Cool with me. But Ryan Smith? 60 snaps a game covering someone with much more talent than he has? Bleah.

I think/hope we're targeting Denzel Ward. Stop and think about it. Grimes is older than eight tracks. VHIII is maybe a workable nickel corner. Then what? Then nothing. I think we're targeting Ward.

100% agree
beardmcdoug

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:48 am

We got one guy saying he cant be stopped, now we need three more and atleast one to get ready.

Weakside DE
Strongside DE
3 tech DT
CB
S

I also think if you overdraft talent at a position you will finally have players that you can trade.
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:06 am

MJW wrote:
terrytate wrote:

I'd take Fitz over Ward, even at CB. Fitz is much bigger and talented and can tackle and blitz.
Doctor

Postby BucaRican » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:09 am

1. RB

2. DL

3. CB

4.SS

5. Offensive Coordinator
BucaRican

Postby MJW » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:24 am

Doctor wrote:
MJW wrote:

I'd take Fitz over Ward, even at CB. Fitz is much bigger and talented and can tackle and blitz.

Ward has the stuff to be an excellent boundary corner out on the island against top receivers. Fitz doesn't. Ward is what we need more than anything else on this 53 right now. I mean, by a mile.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:49 am

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:I'd take Fitz over Ward, even at CB. Fitz is much bigger and talented and can tackle and blitz.

Ward has the stuff to be an excellent boundary corner out on the island against top receivers. Fitz doesn't. Ward is what we need more than anything else on this 53 right now. I mean, by a mile.

What doesn't Fitz have? I look at the landscape of the NFL and there's no way you can convince me that there are 64 starting outside corners who are better than Fitz.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:52 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

What doesn't Fitz have? I look at the landscape of the NFL and there's no way you can convince me that there are 64 starting outside corners who are better than Fitz.

Yup, we'll see. Like I said before if I was drafting Fitz I'd make damn sure he can't succeed as a CB before making him a Safety. There is just so much more value in CBs at the NFL level.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:58 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Yup, we'll see. Like I said before if I was drafting Fitz I'd make damn sure he can't succeed as a CB before making him a Safety. There is just so much more value in CBs at the NFL level.

Agreed. Now if the arguement is that "Fitz has the ceiling of an above average CB, but can be the best safety of all time" I could buy that as a reason a team would want to position him at safety. But NO WAY do I believe he doesn't possess the talent, skills and "stuff" to be an NFL corner.
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:31 am

Fitz has all the physical and mental tools. His only issue is that he's played all over instead of just mastering one, but that's nothing that can't be fixed with a little coaching and time.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:34 am

I think Fitz definitely has a chance to be a CB... but there's also a chance that he's a pure safety...

I think Ward is just the smarter play since he's a for sure CB who's upside at CB is just as high.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:35 am

Doctor wrote:Fitz has all the physical and mental tools. His only issue is that he's played all over instead of just mastering one, but that's nothing that can't be fixed with a little coaching and time.

He's a great athlete, but he doesn't have CB hips or the elite agility needed to mirror WRs IMO.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:45 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Doctor wrote:Fitz has all the physical and mental tools. His only issue is that he's played all over instead of just mastering one, but that's nothing that can't be fixed with a little coaching and time.

He's a great athlete, but he doesn't have CB hips or the elite agility needed to mirror WRs IMO.

You can name more corners without elite agility than you can corners who do have it. Fitz can be a good corner in this league. Again, can't convince me 64 other outside corners are better.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:54 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:He's a great athlete, but he doesn't have CB hips or the elite agility needed to mirror WRs IMO.

You can name more corners without elite agility than you can corners who do have it. Fitz can be a good corner in this league. Again, can't convince me 64 other outside corners are better.

Ya but we're talking the #7 pick int he draft. We aren't drafting a guy there to be the 64th best CB in the league.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:55 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Ya but we're talking the #7 pick int he draft. We aren't drafting a guy there to be the 64th best CB in the league.

You think Fitz would be the worst starting corner in football?
Bootz2004

Postby Ghostrap » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:57 am

Deleted
Last edited by Ghostrap on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
There are people everywhere who want to be the only one to speak. So I just ignore them. Literally.
Ghostrap

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:00 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

That was in relation to your "you think there are 64 CBs better than him?" statement. At #7, you want a guy who's going to be an upper echelon #1. A top 15 guy. I think Ward has a better chance than Fitz.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:03 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

That was in relation to your "you think there are 64 CBs better than him?" statement. At #7, you want a guy who's going to be an upper echelon #1. A top 15 guy. I think Ward has a better chance than Fitz.

Unless I missed something, nothing has changed about Minkah Fitzpatrick since January. How is he no longer worth the 7th overall pick after months of being 1 of 4 prospects this board would be extremely thrilled about? I expect YOU of all people to continuously contradict yourself but this bit is rather interesting.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:06 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:That was in relation to your "you think there are 64 CBs better than him?" statement. At #7, you want a guy who's going to be an upper echelon #1. A top 15 guy. I think Ward has a better chance than Fitz.

Unless I missed something, nothing has changed about Minkah Fitzpatrick since January. How is he no longer worth the 7th overall pick after months of being 1 of 4 prospects this board would be extremely thrilled about? I expect YOU of all people to continuously contradict yourself but this bit is rather interesting.

As a CB. If we didn't take Evans last year, this would be a different conversation.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:11 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

As a CB. If we didn't take Evans last year, this would be a different conversation.

You mean if we didn't take Justin Evans then Minkah Fitzpatrick would be an upper echelon, top 15 guy but because we did draft Evans Fitz is not an upper echelon, top 15 guy?

I forgot who I was talking to. Keep living in the dream world, sweetheart. Your lack of football knowledge continues to amaze me. Oh and I'll leave this here for you to see why no one takes you seriously EVER.

real bucs fan wrote:I like where we are in his draft. At least one of Chubb, Barkley, Fitz or Nelson will be there. Whoever it is, you take. Simple.

This was in January BTW, when Justin Evans was still part of this team.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:25 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:As a CB. If we didn't take Evans last year, this would be a different conversation.

You mean if we didn't take Justin Evans then Minkah Fitzpatrick would be an upper echelon, top 15 guy but because we did draft Evans Fitz is not an upper echelon, top 15 guy?

I forgot who I was talking to. Keep living in the dream world, sweetheart. Your lack of football knowledge continues to amaze me. Oh and I'll leave this here for you to see why no one takes you seriously EVER.

real bucs fan wrote:I like where we are in his draft. At least one of Chubb, Barkley, Fitz or Nelson will be there. Whoever it is, you take. Simple.

I was expecting/hoping to have a Jalen Ramsey like predraft process where he showed and proved he could be an elite CB. That never materialized.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:33 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I was expecting/hoping to have a Jalen Ramsey like predraft process where he showed and proved he could be an elite CB. That never materialized.

You put way too much stock into the combine...
uscbucsfan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:37 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

My point exactly. Like I said, keep living in the dream world, sweetie
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:45 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I was expecting/hoping to have a Jalen Ramsey like predraft process where he showed and proved he could be an elite CB. That never materialized.

My point exactly. Like I said, keep living in the dream world, sweetie

:buttred:
real bucs fan

Postby Ghostrap » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:32 pm

There are people everywhere who want to be the only one to speak. So I just ignore them. Literally.
Ghostrap

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions