Bucs trade for DE Jason Pierre-Paul

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Bucs trade for DE Jason Pierre-Paul

Postby Bucs N Beers » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:25 am

DreadNaught wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:This guy is going to completely change our defense.

Yeah well, had GM ham hock drafted better we wouldn't be so desperate to change.

Paying money to good pass rushers is dumb when you can just draft them on cheap rookie contracts.

We could have drafted one in the third round, instead we pissed it away to save the NYG franchise. Thanks a lot Dom.
Bucs N Beers

Postby Buc2 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:42 am

In this 2017 highlight video, I thought this was one of his most impressive plays. Up against the Chargers, Russell Okung, he kept him off of him with just his right hand, keeping his left arm free which enabled him to reach out and grab the RB as he was cutting back towards the middle.

https://youtu.be/Hho2Hzinpcw?t=2m12s
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:19 am

Bucs N Beers wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Yeah well, had GM ham hock drafted better we wouldn't be so desperate to change.

Paying money to good pass rushers is dumb when you can just draft them on cheap rookie contracts.

We could have drafted one in the third round, instead we pissed it away to save the NYG franchise. Thanks a lot Dom.

no chance on drafting a JPP in the 3rd rd.... try again
Jason Bourne

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:39 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
Bucs N Beers wrote:

no chance on drafting a JPP in the 3rd rd.... try again

DreadNaught

Postby Swashy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:28 am

lmfao at the bitching and whining about losing a 3rd round pick over this. Yeah because drafting our franchise linemen has worked out just so well for the last 11 years. McCoy is literally the lone exception to the rule of us completely ****ing it up year after year. Christ, Gaines Adams could have been everything the franchise player we wanted him to be he STILL would have passed away on us and we STILL would have had to start over. You literally can't make this up. This is the best lineman the Bucs have gotten since McCoy and some are not happy.

This is going to be a long and insufferable offseason. Thank God I have hockey to get me through til the first week of July
Swashy

Postby Bucs N Beers » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:54 am

I thought the "Thanks a lot Dom" was enough to override the necessity for /s. But I guess not.

Bucs N Beers

Postby Naismith » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:48 pm

I feel like there have been a lot more complaints of people bitching and moaning than there have been people bitching and moaning.
Last edited by Naismith on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naismith

Postby terrytate » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:20 pm

It's worth noting that we will have 3 new starters on the DL and all 3 have rings. Apparently Licht was as sick of our line play as we fans were.

I am curious how the rotations are going to work though. Will they move JPP around? If Curry and JPP are starters, how does Spence fit in, something like Frisco did with Aldon Smith? Do all of these 43 linemen take all the 34 packages off the table? Should we be lucky enough to draft Chubb, where do we fit him in at?
terrytate

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:29 pm

terrytate wrote:It's worth noting that we will have 3 new starters on the DL and all 3 have rings. Apparently Licht was as sick of our line play as we fans were.

I am curious how the rotations are going to work though. Will they move JPP around? If Curry and JPP are starters, how does Spence fit in, something like Frisco did with Aldon Smith? Do all of these 43 linemen take all the 34 packages off the table? Should we be lucky enough to draft Chubb, where do we fit him in at?

I think the 3-4 talk needs to be tabled for the Bucs. Buckner, Curry, Allen, and JPP have ALL commented how the Bucs are a 4-3 defense when interviewed this offseason in their introductory press conferences.

Koetter mentioned today that Curry will be used to rush inside (as a DT) at times in pass rush/sub package situations, this would open up some opportunities for Spence to line up at RDE in those situations.

Spence-McCoy-Curry-JPP would be Dline in sub package/passing situations

JPP has some snaps last year where he was used inside also. But it wasn't with is hand in the dirt, instead he was technically an ILB standing up with just 3 down linemen in front and he was able to attack either side of the Guard. The Texans used Clowney in a similar way and again this was only in passing situations since one of the run gaps were seemingly abandoned.
DreadNaught

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:38 pm

terrytate wrote:It's worth noting that we will have 3 new starters on the DL and all 3 have rings. Apparently Licht was as sick of our line play as we fans were.

As someone who knows nothing, I'll take a guess. JPP will start at the left DE spot, changing out with Gholston. We'll ensure it's JPP on obvious passing downs. Curry will start at the right DE spot, changing out with Spence. Ideally, Spence would come in on passing downs but he hasn't proven himself enough to pencil that in, yet. I'm guessing Chubb would make either Spence or Gholston almost obsolete (although you can never have enough pass rushers).

I'm not sure who will relieve McCoy. I know Gholston also plays inside some but I don't think Allen, Gholston, or Unrein get the type of penetration that McCoy can.
Deuce

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:45 pm

I didn't comment on the potential addition of Chubb, but he would see the field. You can never have too many pass rushers. He'd make Gholston 3rd string, but since Gholston's salary for 2018 became guaranteed already the team would keep him on the 53 if they couldn't trade him.

Adding Chubb would give the Bucs a Dline of:

Curry-Spence
McCoy-
Allen-Unrein
JPP-Chubb-Gholston

That is a pretty strong top 8. Stevie T is still on the roster also. We'll see if he makes the team this year.
DreadNaught

Postby Patrick McIrish » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:01 pm

Deuce wrote:As someone who knows nothing.....

Props on your new self-awareness. Now if we can get the other 97% of the board to do the same.

As for JPP we traded up in the 2nd round to get the worst kicker in football, I'm more than comfortable giving up a 3rd if he can bring some heat.

Of course the real problem on defense is that fat troll sitting up in the press box on Sunday.

Every casual fan on this board would be absolutely STUNNED to see what a solid DC could have done with the talent we had last year.

Smith does something that is hard to do, builds a defense that can't pressure the QB or cover anyone.

From first to worst last season in some areas and this fat **** is still here? You (GM/HC) deserve to be fired if you don't move him out of here.
Patrick McIrish

Postby terrytate » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:19 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

I think the 3-4 talk needs to be tabled for the Bucs. Buckner, Curry, Allen, and JPP have ALL commented how the Bucs are a 4-3 defense when interviewed this offseason in their introductory press conferences.

Koetter mentioned today that Curry will be used to rush inside (as a DT) at times in pass rush/sub package situations, this would open up some opportunities for Spence to line up at RDE in those situations.

JPP has some snaps last year where he was used inside also. But it wasn't with is hand in the dirt, instead he was technically an ILB standing up with just 3 down linemen in front and he was able to attack either side of the Guard. The Texans used Clowney in a similar way and again this was only in passing situations since one of the run gaps were seemingly abandoned.

I agree about the 3-4. I only gave the 3-4 stuff any creedence because Koetter himself said he wanted a hybrid defense at some point.

Now that we have a bit of depth, I am also interested in seeing how they rotate the dlinemen (it's not just for guards anymore!) Keotter said he doesn't want to have to play JPP the obscene number snaps he was seeing in NY. Seeing even a half assed depth chart shows we are still light at DT. If McCoy goes down, our best option is to put a non-pass rushing DT there or sub in a DE. We should still draft a guy for both insurance and to plan for the future.
terrytate

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:12 pm

terrytate wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I agree about the 3-4. I only gave the 3-4 stuff any creedence because Koetter himself said he wanted a hybrid defense at some point.

Now that we have a bit of depth, I am also interested in seeing how they rotate the dlinemen (it's not just for guards anymore!) Keotter said he doesn't want to have to play JPP the obscene number snaps he was seeing in NY. Seeing even a half assed depth chart shows we are still light at DT. If McCoy goes down, our best option is to put a non-pass rushing DT there or sub in a DE. We should still draft a guy for both insurance and to plan for the future.

That's why I'm hoping Maurice Hurst makes it to 38. He is strictly a 4-3 3tech at the NFL level. Not a ton of teams utilize the position. I could see Dallas or Jacksonville or Cincy maybe taking him late 1st but if he fell to 38 that would be the perfect pick for the reasons you laid out.
Bootz2004

Postby terrytate » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:15 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
terrytate wrote:

That's why I'm hoping Maurice Hurst makes it to 38. He is strictly a 4-3 3tech at the NFL level. Not a ton of teams utilize the position. I could see Dallas or Jacksonville or Cincy maybe taking him late 1st but if he fell to 38 that would be the perfect pick for the reasons you laid out.

I am on the the Taven Bryan wagon atm. I'll need to go watch some film on Hurst. I had forgotten about him because I thought his failed tests at the combine would keep him out of the NFL
terrytate

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:27 pm

Your both wrong, the best bang for the Buc will be PJ Hall ------------- Just ask John

http://www.ninersnation.com/2018/3/26/1 ... an-pj-hall
mdb1958

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Bucs N Beers wrote:I thought the "Thanks a lot Dom" was enough to override the necessity for /s. But I guess not.

Lol missed that
Jason Bourne

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:12 pm

PJ Hall is putting up numbers similar to Aaron Donald and Geno Atkins. And thats with weighing almost 25 pounds more than Donald.
mdb1958

Postby BucdUpReality » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:02 pm

just a question that indirectly goes with the topic, but usually when a team trades for a pro bowl caliber player, players usually go to twitter and welcome the new player.

Does anyone else find that this hasn't happened here, especially when his arrival is beneficial to one of the teams captains in Gerald McCoy...

you'd think he'd be all over twitter praising the help Licht has given him and welcoming JPP aboard.

anyone else think its kind of weird the crickets?

mccoy posted his excitement for evans new deal, and Richard Sherman's and Talibs letters to their former teams fans, but nothing about JPP...

maybe he's been informed he's on the block as a result of all the moves? maybe its nothing? just wondering others opinions...
BucdUpReality

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:32 pm

BucdUpReality wrote:just a question that indirectly goes with the topic, but usually when a team trades for a pro bowl caliber player, players usually go to twitter and welcome the new player.

Does anyone else find that this hasn't happened here, especially when his arrival is beneficial to one of the teams captains in Gerald McCoy...

you'd think he'd be all over twitter praising the help Licht has given him and welcoming JPP aboard.

mccoy posted his excitement for evans new deal, and Richard Sherman's and Talibs letters to their former teams fans, but nothing about JPP...

maybe he's been informed he's on the block as a result of all the moves? maybe its nothing? just wondering others opinions...

You’re reading too many conspiracy theories. McCoy isn’t up for trade in any world.

Regarding your main point yes I do find it strange that McCoy hasn’t said anything yet.
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:33 pm

BucdUpReality wrote:just a question that indirectly goes with the topic, but usually when a team trades for a pro bowl caliber player, players usually go to twitter and welcome the new player.

Child Please!
Bootz2004

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:32 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Child Please!

well hell, it is a valid point - then again JPP seems to not be that active on twitter
beardmcdoug

Postby acmillis » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:02 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Child Please!

well hell, it is a valid point - then again JPP seems to not be that active on twitter

Probably gets auto-corrected too much
acmillis

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:04 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Child Please!

It’s reading into public non-action and making up motives. He didn’t just say it’s odd to see no twitter activity, but maybe McCoy has been secretly told he is on the trade block. Boots responded accordingly to that.
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:09 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Child Please!

McCoy's lack of Twitter activity in relation to JPP coming here is a sign of him being shopped in a trade? And you think it's a valid point?? Again, CHILD PLEASE.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:10 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

It’s reading into public non-action and making up motives. He didn’t just say it’s odd to see no twitter activity, but maybe McCoy has been secretly told he is on the trade block. Boots responded accordingly to that.

Someone gets it. I could understand if he just left it at it's odd McCoy hasn't said anything. Might even agree. But this trade crap is just that.
Bootz2004

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:40 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

Bootz didn't bold the part about the trade, like you did, so one can only assume his "child please" was in response to the entirety of the text that he quoted, the overarching theme of which, was that its relatively odd that there is such little welcoming response from our players

my response was resultant of that assumed logical line of thought

then again, its Bootz, and he loves the drama rather than having a normal, friendly, constructive interaction, so the ambiguity of his response, and thus the response given by me, and the petty back and forth that results, is exactly what he's looking for, so I guess I'm not surprised
beardmcdoug

Postby terrytate » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:57 am

In the Licht interview, he says that immediately after the trade and his first phone call with JPP, his second call was to Gerald McCoy, who reacted like a kid on Christmas.
terrytate

Postby Buc2 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:06 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Bootz didn't bold the part about the trade, like you did, so one can only assume his "child please" was in response to the entirety of the text that he quoted, the overarching theme of which, was that its relatively odd that there is such little welcoming response from our players

my response was resultant of that assumed logical line of thought

then again, its Bootz, and he loves the drama rather than having a normal, friendly, constructive interaction, so the ambiguity of his response, and thus the response given by me, and the petty back and forth that results, is exactly what he's looking for, so I guess I'm not surprised

And there it is in black & white, ladies and gentlemen. It's what he's looking for. smh
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby theBKwhopper » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:13 pm

Licht said the first person he called after the trade was McCoy..
theBKwhopper

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions