Bucs trade for DE Jason Pierre-Paul

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Bucs trade for DE Jason Pierre-Paul

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:09 pm

Caradoc wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
That's still on the Dline. If they win their battle but don't get home it's irrelevant. If a QB has time to survey the field and fine a guy deep down field it means he had time to let him get there.

If a guy is wide open that isn't on the DL. Tell me again about how the earth is flat.

Tell me how a receiver is getting deep down field that quickly. How deep are you talking?
Bootz2004

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:11 pm

Caradoc has a point. There were times the DL got great pressure...had the QB off balance...throwing off his back foot...but the WR was so wide open it didn't matter because he had a 10+ yard cushion and all day to wait for it.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:12 pm

Buc2 wrote:Caradoc has a point. There were times the DL got great pressure...had the QB off balance...throwing off his back foot...but the WR was so wide open it didn't matter because he had a 10+ yard cushion and all day to wait for it.

Yea that has happened. But those are usually crossers, slants, quick outs. Not downfield catches.
Bootz2004

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:15 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Caradoc has a point. There were times the DL got great pressure...had the QB off balance...throwing off his back foot...but the WR was so wide open it didn't matter because he had a 10+ yard cushion and all day to wait for it.

Yea that has happened. But those are usually crossers, slants, quick outs. Not downfield catches.

True. I'll give you that. It was still very frustrating to watch. I'd be all excited to see some pressure, but then there was someone 10 yards off the line that was wide open as an outlet receiver. Vern's guy, right?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Deuce » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:04 pm

The defensive line being bad versus the secondary being bad is a "chicken or the egg" type of argument. Maybe VH3 gives a 10-yard cushion because he's not confident in the d-line's ability to generate pressure?

We should get some answers this season.
Deuce

Postby Doctor » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:09 am

Deuce wrote:The defensive line being bad versus the secondary being bad is a "chicken or the egg" type of argument. Maybe VH3 gives a 10-yard cushion because he's not confident in the d-line's ability to generate pressure?

We should get some answers this season.

Bingo. Or DBs start to play off a lot more to not get beat deep. That's what happens when you think "Well, the QB is going to have all day to throw". If you think the DL can get there quicker, you press, jam, and fight more on the line with confidence that if you do get beat deep the DL has your back. DBs last year played like they didn't trust the DL at all, and they were right not to.
Doctor

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:07 am

Doctor wrote:
Deuce wrote:
I think tempered expectations are good. I'm really happy with the move but last time he had double digit sacks was 2014. I actually think people are underestimating how good he is against the run.

He's a massive upgrade but let's not pencil him in for double digit sacks just yet.

I'm not talking about double digit sacks, I'm talking about having a respectable pass rush. The amount of times our DE's got blocked one on one by ****ing TE's is embarrassing.

That's TE Josh Hill blocking out the DE one on one at the top like nothing. This was a TD strike to Ginn.

Again, TE Eric Dickerson blocks out 6'5 267lb Ryan Russell one on one like nothing on the left and Ayers losing his one on one on the right. This is a TD strike to KB from Cam.

And if you are wondering "Well who the **** is Ryan Russell?" you shouldn't be because he started SIX GAMES FOR US. That's how absolutely pathetic our DL was last year. There's a reason we have 3 out of 4 new starters this year. And boy do I hope teams put a TE one on one to cover JPP or Vinny Curry.

Its not just the DE's! The whole front four looks bad. And you have two linebackers hanging around just in case of a scramble or dump off.
mdb1958

Previous

Return to Team Discussions