Bucs sign Jensen

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Bucs sign Jensen

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Fat, white Bucs fans right now

real bucs fan

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:49 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Nano wrote:According to Ravens fans, if anyone touches his QB, his physically fight the entire defense. Guess that's someone to watch each week.

Not a big fan of the money, but I like the signing. We finally have a true center that is more than just a workout warrior and he's just entering his prime. He may never live up to this contract, but we'll hopefully no longer have to worry about bad snaps every game.

Are we ever going to figure out wtf we want to do with Marpet though? You can't just keep changing his position every single offseason and expect a lot of growth. Hell, wouldn't surprise me if he leaves Tampa after this year for a team that can actually tell him where they want to put him.

Marpet has just as much experience at Center as this guy...

Marpet was a LT in college who was moved to Guard who was then moved to Center. He did very well blocking out of the middle, but had difficulty snapping the ball.

Jensen was a Center in college who was played at Guard rotationally because of his versatility, until he earned the job at his former position and started all 16 games -- reportedly as one of the top Centers in the league (I'm not going to pretend to have watched the Ravens, let alone scouted Jensen before what I've read since he became available).
Deja Entendu

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Marpet has just as much experience at Center as this guy...

Marpet was a LT in college who was moved to Guard who was then moved to Center. He did very well blocking out of the middle, but had difficulty snapping the ball.

Jensen was a Center in college who was played at Guard rotationally because of his versatility, until he earned the job at his former position and started all 16 games -- reportedly as one of the top Centers in the league (in not going to pretend to have watched the Ravens, let alone scouted Jensen before what I've read since he became available).

Could be wrong, but pretty sure Jensen was a college OT too.

ETA

Last edited by real bucs fan on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
real bucs fan

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Teitan wrote:
This.

Still not opposed to drafting Nelson. Let’s get a Dallas-good O line.

You need Dallas-good players and Jensen & Marpet are not Fredrickson & Martin.

If you don’t think Smith-Marpet-Jensen-Nelson-Dotson would be a top of the league unit, I don’t know what to tell you.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:54 pm

Teitan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

If you don’t think Smith-Marpet-Jensen-Nelson-Dotson would be a top of the league unit, I don’t know what to tell you.

We aint drafting Nelson.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:56 pm

Teitan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

If you don’t think Smith-Marpet-Jensen-Nelson-Dotson wouldn’t be a top of the league unit, I don’t know what to tell you.

You have nothing to tell me. You think that projected collection of players is as good as a group comprised of 3 former 1st round picks, multiple All Pro and Pro Bowl teams as well as the recipes to boot. 2 rushing titles over the last 4 seasons. If you think that proposed group is just as good, that’s your business. I don’t see it.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:57 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Teitan wrote:

We aint drafting Nelson.

I am leaning this way as well.

Not only do I think it is pretty unlikely that he falls that low, we also have a crippling lack of pass rushing talent. Even if Nelson were available, Licht and Koetter could reach for an edge rusher and no one would bat an eye.
Cheb

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Teitan wrote:
If you don’t think Smith-Marpet-Jensen-Nelson-Dotson wouldn’t be a top of the league unit, I don’t know what to tell you.

You have nothing to tell me. You think that projected collection of players is as good as a group comprised of 3 former 1st round picks, multiple All Pro and Pro Bowl teams as well as the recipes to boot. 2 rushing titles over the last 4 seasons. If you think that proposed group is just as good, that’s your business. I don’t see it.

I said we need to get Dallas-good. As in that’s what we should be aspiring to build. I’m not saying our players are the same or as good or better. But it surely projects to be the best O line in a very long time here in Tampa.

Of course it’s no lock that we draft Nelson. Simply said that I wouldn’t be against it.
Teitan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:03 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Teitan wrote:

We aint drafting Nelson.

Why not? You think we'll pass or he won't be on the board?
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:04 pm

Teitan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I said we need to get Dallas-good. As in that’s what we should be aspiring to build. I’m not saying our players are the same or as good or better. But it surely projects to be the best O line in a very long time here in Tampa.

Of course it’s no lock that we draft Nelson. Simply said that I wouldn’t be against it.

The only way we’ll get that good is if we devote similar resources as Dallas. Nelson would be a start but as I said, Marpet and Jensen are not Fredrick and Martin. Not even close. Donovan Smith is not Tyron Smith. Yea it would be the best Oline in Tampa in a long long time but as good as that Dallas line? Can’t get there cutting corners.
Bootz2004

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:04 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Teitan wrote:

We aint drafting Nelson.

Shush running back boy.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:05 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:We aint drafting Nelson.

Why not? You think we'll pass or he won't be on the board?

I think he goes top 6. But I also think we aren't going to use the #7 pick on an interior OL after making Jensen the highest paid C in football- especially since I also believe the franchise hasn't stupidly given up on Sweezy after only a year back from back surgery.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:05 pm

Teitan wrote:

Shush running back boy.

We're going Defence with that pick. Book it!
real bucs fan

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:07 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Teitan wrote:
Shush running back boy.

Also not opposed.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:07 pm

Cheb wrote:

I am leaning this way as well.

Not only do I think it is pretty unlikely that he falls that low, we also have a crippling lack of pass rushing talent. Even if Nelson were available, Licht and Koetter could reach for an edge rusher and no one would bat an eye.

Agreed. We needed 1 big dog added to our interior OL, and Jensen was deemed that guy. Sweezy should be better now that he's a year removed from back surgery too.
real bucs fan

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:08 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:

Jensen was a Center in college who was played at Guard rotationally because of his versatility, until he earned the job at his former position and started all 16 games -- reportedly as one of the top Centers in the league (in not going to pretend to have watched the Ravens, let alone scouted Jensen before what I've read since he became available).

Could be wrong, but pretty sure Jensen was a college OT too.

ETA

My apologies, I swore I read he was a Center in college.
Deja Entendu

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:08 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Teitan wrote:
Shush running back boy.

I think after this FA period it's Fitz or Denzel Ward. Secondary help. Licht isn't the type to reach for Davenport and Chubb will be gone. Vea's still possible I guess.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:08 pm

If you think signing Jensen wipes Nelson off of our board then you haven’t paid attention to Jason Licht at all. He doesn’t let what he does in FA dictate the draft board. Nelson is more in play than he was before this signing.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:09 pm

Teitan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Not to be a Debbie downer, but when was the last time we had a great offensive line here? The 2008 Penn-Sears-Faine-Davin-Trueblood line? The Superbowl?

It's an honest question. Suggestions welcome.
Cheb

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Cheb wrote:
Teitan wrote:

Not to be a Debbie downer, but when was the last time we had a great offensive line here? The 2008 Penn-Sears-Faine-Davin-Trueblood line? The Superbowl?

Never, honestly. Superbowl line was functional.
MJW

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Bootz2004 wrote: Nelson is more in play than he was before this signing.

Explain.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:10 pm

MJW wrote:
Cheb wrote:

Functional is a pretty generous assessment.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:11 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

Functional is a pretty generous assessment.

True.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:11 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:If you think signing Jensen wipes Nelson off of our board then you haven’t paid attention to Jason Licht at all. He doesn’t let what he does in FA dictate the draft board. Nelson is more in play than he was before this signing.

We just made Jensen the highest paid C in football. This is different than signing old man Grimes or old man Ayers out of the bargain bin. We only have 5 starters on that OL, so unless you think we're cutting Sweezy we aint spending the #7 pick on a Guard.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:13 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:If you think signing Jensen wipes Nelson off of our board then you haven’t paid attention to Jason Licht at all. He doesn’t let what he does in FA dictate the draft board. Nelson is more in play than he was before this signing.

We just made Jensen the highest paid C in football. This is different than signing old man Grimes or old man Ayers out of the bargain bin. We only have 5 starters on that OL, so unless you think we're cutting Sweezy we aint spending the #7 pick on a Guard.

I think OBP likes Sweezy. First they overpaid, then they waited out his injury, then they handed him a job.

Not saying Nelson is impossible, but Licht has given himself every excuse he can to go another direction.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:14 pm

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote: Nelson is more in play than he was before this signing.

Explain.

Licht has never been shy about fortifying units. Signed Brent Grimes and Ayers, drafted VH3 and Spence 1 and 2. Signed Djax, drafted Godwin day 2. Signed Bruce Carter, drafted Kwon Alexander. Of course not all situations are the same and it’s not black and white but I don’t see this wiping Nelson out. If he can get Nelson and make a stronger Oline I think he would jump at the opportunity.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:15 pm

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:We just made Jensen the highest paid C in football. This is different than signing old man Grimes or old man Ayers out of the bargain bin. We only have 5 starters on that OL, so unless you think we're cutting Sweezy we aint spending the #7 pick on a Guard.

I think OBP likes Sweezy. First they overpaid, then they waited out his injury, then they handed him a job.

Not saying Nelson is impossible, but Licht has given himself every excuse he can to go another direction.

Taking a Guard at 7 is a luxury we can't afford to make right now.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:16 pm

I'm willing to take bets we don't take Nelson.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:16 pm

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:We just made Jensen the highest paid C in football. This is different than signing old man Grimes or old man Ayers out of the bargain bin. We only have 5 starters on that OL, so unless you think we're cutting Sweezy we aint spending the #7 pick on a Guard.

At the same token grabbing Nelson would give him an excuse to cut ties with the Sweezy situation. Think about it, we’re counting on a guy who had major back surgery to be a productive piece of our Oline.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

At the same token grabbing Nelson would give him an excuse to cut ties with the Sweezy situation. Think about it, we’re counting on a guy who had major back surgery to be a productive piece of our Oline.

I honestly don't have a problem with it. I just don't think that's how Licht will see the situation.
MJW

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions