Bucs sign Jensen

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Bucs sign Jensen

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:55 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Licht made him the highest paid center in football. If Licht doesn't think he's elite, then what the hell is he doing?

ETA

I"m not saying I view Jensen as elite, I'm saying Licht views him as elite (otherwise he would not have made him the highest paid player in football at his position).

He's signing a free agent relative to the market. It's what all teams do annually. You look at the top paid players at each position you WILL NOT find elite players occupying those spots. Top paid QB? Jimmy Garopollo. Top paid RB? Jerick McKinnon. Paying players is about more than whether you view them as elite or not.

lmao...why did you stop after those two positions? Surely not because they were the only examples that proved your point.
Deuce

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:57 pm

The collective IQ of this board is so low, I'm quite tempted to just stop posting here.
real bucs fan

Postby Caradoc » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:58 pm

real bucs fan wrote:The collective IQ of this board is so low, I'm quite tempted to just stop posting here.

That would certainly raise the average
Caradoc

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Caradoc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The collective IQ of this board is so low, I'm quite tempted to just stop posting here.

Significantly
Bootz2004

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Deuce wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
He's signing a free agent relative to the market. It's what all teams do annually. You look at the top paid players at each position you WILL NOT find elite players occupying those spots. Top paid QB? Jimmy Garopollo. Top paid RB? Jerick McKinnon. Paying players is about more than whether you view them as elite or not.

lmao...why did you stop after those two positions? Surely not because they were the only examples that proved your point.

Sorry to keep going with this but also, McKinnon is not the highest paid RB. After the franchise tag,it's Le'Veon Bell, Devonta Freeman, LeSean McCoy, then McKinnon. AKA three elite RB's and then McKinnon.
Deuce

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:03 pm

Deuce wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

They were also players with the achievements and accolades that would warrant them being called elite. My point with those 2 is in THIS day and age of free agency players get overpaid more frequently and it's not relative to their status.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Deuce wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Sorry to keep going with this but also, McKinnon is not the highest paid RB. After the franchise tag,it's Le'Veon Bell, Devonta Freeman, LeSean McCoy, then McKinnon. AKA three elite RB's and then McKinnon.

Le'Veon Bell is a FA still technically as he is not signed to a contract. As such you can't include him. McKinnon has a salary this year of $10.5mil. As such he IS the highest paid RB this season unless Bell signs.
Bootz2004

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:08 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

They were also players with the achievements and accolades that would warrant them being called elite. My point with those 2 is in THIS day and age of free agency players get overpaid more frequently and it's not relative to their status.

Well, let's break this down. rbf is saying that Licht considers Jensen elite, not us. I'd argue that Lynch/Shanahan or whoever is calling the shots over there believes that Garoppolo and McKinnon are elite, thus making them the highest paid players.
Deuce

Postby NYBF » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Caradoc wrote:

NYBF

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Le'Veon Bell is a FA still technically as he is not signed to a contract. As such you can't include him. McKinnon has a salary this year of $10.5mil. As such he IS the highest paid RB this season unless Bell signs.

Nice...classic bootz. I remember posting something about Devonta Freeman being the highest paid last year and you corrected me, claiming it was Bell, who was holding out. But now that it hurts your argument, it can't be included. Gotcha.

Also, we always use average around here, not base salary. So no, McKinnon is not the highest paid RB in the NFL.
Deuce

Postby Naismith » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:11 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Naismith wrote:Whether Licht thinks he's the best center in the league or not, he clearly thinks very highly of him to beat out all the teams that had interest in him with a large monetary commitment.

Of course he think highly of Jensen. I never said that. I just don’t believe anyone, including Licht, views Jensen as elite.

Edit: Rbf started this by saying “We needed to add 1 elite guy to the unit to turn our 1 real weak link into a strength. Licht has elected to make Jensen that guy.” The OL is not a strength because we signed Jensen nor is Jensen elite.

Yeah, I wasn't really responding to you, just to the general point. Licht clearly thinks very highly of Jensen.

"Elite" is a subjective designation that doesn't really mean anything, but to the point about the offensive line, whether Jensen meets some standard of elite ability or not, I don't think it turns the offensive line into a strength. I think claiming otherwise is just a way to justify passing on the position in the draft.
Naismith

Postby theBKwhopper » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Awww does RBF need his safe space???

For real, though. Everyone seems to be ganging up on you lately.
theBKwhopper

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:14 pm

Naismith wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
Of course he think highly of Jensen. I never said that. I just don’t believe anyone, including Licht, views Jensen as elite.

Edit: Rbf started this by saying “We needed to add 1 elite guy to the unit to turn our 1 real weak link into a strength. Licht has elected to make Jensen that guy.” The OL is not a strength because we signed Jensen nor is Jensen elite.

Yeah, I wasn't really responding to you, just to the general point. Licht clearly thinks very highly of Jensen.

"Elite" is a subjective designation that doesn't really mean anything, but to the point about the offensive line, whether Jensen meets some standard of elite ability or not, I don't think it turns the offensive line into a strength. I think claiming otherwise is just a way to justify passing on the position in the draft.

I'll agree with this as the greater point. I'd say yes, Licht sees Jensen as elite. But in no way does that mean that we won't use draft picks (including our first) on another guard come April.
Deuce

Postby terrytate » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:15 pm

I'd like to believe the post who speculated that Light overpaid for Henson to steal him from the Colts and pressure them into taking Nelson, leaving Chubb for us.

It's probably BS, but I want to believe.
terrytate

Postby Naismith » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:16 pm

Deuce wrote:
Naismith wrote:

I'll agree with this as the greater point. I'd say yes, Licht sees Jensen as elite. But in no way does that mean that we won't use draft picks (including our first) on another guard come April.

I hope so! Draft nothing but linemen, offensive and defensive!
Naismith

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Teitan wrote:
This.

Still not opposed to drafting Nelson. Let’s get a Dallas-good O line.

You need Dallas-good players and Jensen & Marpet are not Fredrickson & Martin.

Who's Fredrickson?
pewterpirates

Postby BucJordan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Let's not start the semantics game - Bootz' point still stands. In Free Agency, nobody lands their target by slotting their salary in with current contracts. The cap inflates so much each year that if you're even in the top 15 at your position, you're probably going to be paid like you're in the top 5.

Are Sammy Watkins and Jarvis Landry the #4 and #5 WRs in the NFL? Their APY salaries are.

Is Jimmy Graham the best TE in the league? He's the most highly paid.

Nate Solder is a good player, but did the Giants get the best OT in the game (or even an elite one)? He's getting paid the most.

There are examples like this every FA period. Licht should have a lot of confidence in Jensen to offer a contract that size, but I don't expect they have him as a top 3 center.
BucJordan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:28 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:

Awww does RBF need his safe space???

For real, though. Everyone seems to be ganging up on you lately.

He's doing it to himself.

He went in hard and early for Barkley to some significant pushback. He backed off the position for a while publicly and has gone to great pains to look as though he has seen the error of his ways and is now impartial, but Free Agency ruined it.

He got so hot to trot excited that he undercut his support for Chubb by saying we can now go day 2 instead of reaching now that we have Curry
He has written off Nelson with the signing of Jensen and has been touting how great the line is for months now.
He is in the middle of teeing up and knocking down Fitz, Ward, and James.

Mind you that he has gone to great lengths to compliment each and every one of those players as prospects and has expressed his happiness to draft any one of them. But he went so hard for Barkley earlier, we know that's what he really wants. He'll deny this whole thing, but in reality he has been continuously trying to steer the board to Barkley. The only thing he hasn't done now that we've had some free agent signings is to go for broke.

Still, he knows the chances of the Bucs drafting Barkley are 50/50 at best. Probably closer to 1 in 3. So he has to go to all this trouble to talk these guys up so he can say he saw it coming a mile away. Otherwise, he's just the guy who wanted Barkley and not some draft guru zen master.

All he had to do to avoid this was to firmly state that Barkley is his guy but is open to players x,y,and z for reasons a,b,and c and nobody would care. But his subterfuge and ever changing speculation on who is going to draft whom is tainted with Bucs get Barkley. Which as we all know is what he wants.

The part that annoys me is that to some extent I'd LOVE to have a guy like Barkley in pewter, but he has had the board beat that horse into the ground so much that we just don't even consider it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:35 pm

Everything MB just said = FACTS
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:38 pm

^^^ All of THAT.
PrimeMinister

Postby Naismith » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:47 pm

I think it's clear that he wants Barkley over everyone else but took enough flack for it that he's trying to make it seem like he's just as good with other guys. There's no problem with making an unpopular stance and going with it if you truly believe it. I think he should have just stuck to his guns, Barkley or Bust!
Naismith

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:48 pm

It's not as bad as the Dalvin Cook stuff from last year though. I'll give him that. This board went nutzo arguing over that guy.

Edit: Looking at you, Sanka
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Naismith wrote:I think it's clear that he wants Barkley over everyone else but took enough flack for it that he's trying to make it seem like he's just as good with other guys. There's no problem with making an unpopular stance and going with it if you truly believe it. I think he should have just stuck to his guns, Barkley or Bust!

He tries too hard to be like I use to be.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:53 pm

If we draft Barkley I’m going to be as excited as anyone else on this board. I think every single poster here would eventually support the pick. I now prefer the combo of Chubb @ 7 and a 2nd or 3rd round RB over Barkley (Michel or Guice preferred).
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Naismith wrote:I think it's clear that he wants Barkley over everyone else but took enough flack for it that he's trying to make it seem like he's just as good with other guys. There's no problem with making an unpopular stance and going with it if you truly believe it. I think he should have just stuck to his guns, Barkley or Bust!

What do you mean?
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:55 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

What do you mean?

He tries too hard to claim he's making logical points, not popular ones. Except for the fact that he really does care what people think about him and he changes up his POV frequently because of it.
Bootz2004

Postby terrytate » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:55 pm

He should have just stuck to his guns. Barkley no matter what, #1 overall. It's not like Barkley would be a reach at 7.
terrytate

Postby theBKwhopper » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
What do you mean?

He tries too hard to claim he's making logical points, not popular ones. Except for the fact that he really does care what people think about him and he changes up his POV frequently because of it.

This is the deepest post I've ever seen you make. Lol
theBKwhopper

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:57 pm

terrytate wrote:

He should have just stuck to his guns. Barkley no matter what, #1 overall. It's not like Barkley would be a reach at 7.

Barkley would be an OUTSTANDING pick at 7 and while multiple arguments can be made for multiple guys, at this point, we shouldn't rule it out. Particularly after adding some free agents last week.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:01 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
What do you mean?

Fair enough.
PrimeMinister

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions