Bucs sign Jensen

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Bucs sign Jensen

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:57 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Super K wrote:

I am fully aware that the ball will be spotted where the slide starts, not where it ends...if you wanna be poo poo'd and not risk any contact, start your slide 2-3 yards earlier...QBs don't do that..hits like this would help to ensure they did..

And if this was JW (**** Fitzpatrick) I'd feel the same way...I would've been screaming for him to either get down SOONER or throw it away...

I totally get my thought process goes against the rules of the sport... actually, the current, modern rules of the sport...I don't really care..

If you know the rules it safe to assume Kiko should know the rules also. There was zero reason for him throw his elbow out and that is why it's a dirty play.

I really don't understand how you can call the play "perfectly fine" while also acknowledging it's against the rules. Doesn't it have to be one or the other?

Yes it's a dirty play. It is however during the play and resulted in a flag as it should've. It's more about the head hunting mentality. I wouldn't advocate it all of the time but Flacco or whoever will think twice about running for yards.

It's interesting that fans hate this play that resulted in a 15 yard penalty but applaud Evans for getting suspended hitting Lattimore.
Bootz2004

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:59 am

Are we dissecting this again? Good because I have thoughts.

If you watch that play at game speed with no sound of Tony Romo calling it a dirty hit, you are migh not see it as dirty.

Flacco ain’t fast but he is running a full speed. Alonso has decent speed for a LB and he is also running at full speed. When Flacco is at the 20, Alonso is just out of the picture at about the 2. In LESS THAN 2 seconds, they meet at the 11. So in less than two seconds, they close a gap of 18 yards. The 11 is also important context, as it is 3rd and 10 and the first down line to gain is the 10-yard line.

Put yourself in Alonso’s shoes. He is running at full speed towards a runner who is running at full speed. A runner who is otherwise unimpeded towards a red zone first down. The runner is also 6’6”. At the last possible milisecond, the runner slides, leaving Alonso, himself 6’3” and 235 lbs, to react.

The human brain takes .25 seconds to respond to visual stimulus under laboratory conditions, meaning that Kiko’s brain can’t process Flacco’s slide until .25 seconds in the best case. Couple that with the fact that he likely has already begun his tackling motion in order to stop the runner, there is no chance in hell he could have avoided hitting Flacco.

At the :51 second mark, you can see exactly when Flacco starts his slide. Alonso is already leaning forward to strike Flacco in his midsection completely legally. It would be physically impossible for him to stop his momentum completely, and again, he has to process the slide. Is it really his fault that Flacco’s head is three feet lower than when he stated his tackling motion? Come on.

Finally, I know Romo says he leads with his arm, but to Kiko’s credit, when his arm makes impact, he does not drive it through Flacco. It just stays tight to his own body. By then, his brain could have processed what was happening and told him to back off, which it appears to me that he did.

All that said, I get why it’s a penalty. The league doesn’t want hits like that, especially on QBs. But I don’t see it as dirty at all. I see it as the limits of the human body being dissected like there are not limits.
Ken Carson

Postby Deuce » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:07 am

Ken Carson wrote:Are we dissecting this again? Good because I have thoughts.

If you watch that play at game speed with no sound of Tony Romo calling it a dirty hit, you are migh not see it as dirty.

Flacco ain’t fast but he is running a full speed. Alonso has decent speed for a LB and he is also running at full speed. When Flacco is at the 20, Alonso is just out of the picture at about the 2. In LESS THAN 2 seconds, they meet at the 11. So in less than two seconds, they close a gap of 18 yards. The 11 is also important context, as it is 3rd and 10 and the first down line to gain is the 10-yard line.

Put yourself in Alonso’s shoes. He is running at full speed towards a runner who is running at full speed. A runner who is otherwise unimpeded towards a red zone first down. The runner is also 6’6”. At the last possible milisecond, the runner slides, leaving Alonso, himself 6’3” and 235 lbs, to react.

The human brain takes .25 seconds to respond to visual stimulus under laboratory conditions, meaning that Kiko’s brain can’t process Flacco’s slide until .25 seconds in the best case. Couple that with the fact that he likely has already begun his tackling motion in order to stop the runner, there is no chance in hell he could have avoided hitting Flacco.

At the :51 second mark, you can see exactly when Flacco starts his slide. Alonso is already leaning forward to strike Flacco in his midsection completely legally. It would be physically impossible for him to stop his momentum completely, and again, he has to process the slide. Is it really his fault that Flacco’s head is three feet lower than when he stated his tackling motion? Come on.

Finally, I know Romo says he leads with his arm, but to Kiko’s credit, when his arm makes impact, he does not drive it through Flacco. It just stays tight to his own body. By then, his brain could have processed what was happening and told him to back off, which it appears to me that he did.

All that said, I get why it’s a penalty. The league doesn’t want hits like that, especially on QBs. But I don’t see it as dirty at all. I see it as the limits of the human body being dissected like there are not limits.

Good post. Slow motion is a bitch.

In this game, Rocket League, every goal in online play is replayed in slow motion. You'll barely miss a ball but in slow motion, it looks like you have the slowest reflexes ever.
Deuce

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:09 am

Dread, grabbing a WR whom has run past you so he can't catch a TD pass is against the rules, but that's ok..

An OL holding a DL who has beaten him badly so that the QB doesn't get killed is against the rules, but that's ok..

WRs pushing off, which hardly gets called outside of Evans, is against the rules, but that's ok..

Pick plays, designed to disrupt DBs, decleat DBs etc are against the rules, but...you get the point..

Its no different than a hard foul in basketball...yes, those are outlawed now too, but it's the rules that have changed, not the game..

Send a message on D...or, better yet, put their QB on the bench or trainers table...
Super K

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:34 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
If you know the rules it safe to assume Kiko should know the rules also. There was zero reason for him throw his elbow out and that is why it's a dirty play.

I really don't understand how you can call the play "perfectly fine" while also acknowledging it's against the rules. Doesn't it have to be one or the other?

Yes it's a dirty play. It is however during the play and resulted in a flag as it should've. It's more about the head hunting mentality. I wouldn't advocate it all of the time but Flacco or whoever will think twice about running for yards.

It's interesting that fans hate this play that resulted in a 15 yard penalty but applaud Evans for getting suspended hitting Lattimore.

I actually cheered when Evans hit Lattimore. It was only time in that game I thought any of our players showed passion. In hindsight, I realize it was a bad idea. Lol
theBKwhopper

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:55 am

theBKwhopper wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I actually cheered when Evans hit Lattimore. It was only time in that game I thought any of our players showed passion. In hindsight, I realize it was a bad idea. Lol

Anything that occurs after the whistle is a bad thing. You want to be a badass? Do it when it counts.
Bootz2004

Postby Sammich » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:19 pm

This exact scenario is to blame for a lot of helmet to helmets as well. If the runner moves at the last instant I don't see how you can blame the defender.
Sammich

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:54 pm

Respectfully disagree Ken. Flacco is into his slide before Kiko loads up the shoulder. He could have run into him gingerly, or even jumped over him. I've seen plenty of guys jump over a sliding QB in less athletic ways than would have been required there, and Kiko is a top notch athlete. He saw the opportunity to deliver a borderline hit and he chose to do so.
MJW

Postby Caradoc » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:29 am

It was dirty, he had time to pull up but chose not to. It wasn’t anywhere as close as you try to make it sound, and h did driv through it.
Caradoc

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:53 pm

MJW wrote:

Respectfully disagree Ken. Flacco is into his slide before Kiko loads up the shoulder. He could have run into him gingerly, or even jumped over him. I've seen plenty of guys jump over a sliding QB in less athletic ways than would have been required there, and Kiko is a top notch athlete. He saw the opportunity to deliver a borderline hit and he chose to do so.

You can disagree, but you're doing so from a point of ignorance. You've never been an athlete traveling at that speed at that height and weight. You cannot possibly be realistic that he 'saw an opportunity' if you have any real concept of the science of neurology.
Ken Carson

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:00 pm

So apparently good ole Garrett Gilkey helped rope in Jensen as the 2 are best friends and Gilkey showed him around town.
IchabodCrane84

Postby theBKwhopper » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:23 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:So apparently good ole Garrett Gilkey helped rope in Jensen as the 2 are best friends and Gilkey showed him around town.

Yeah, I heard that. Pretty humble of him.
theBKwhopper

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:19 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:So apparently good ole Garrett Gilkey helped rope in Jensen as the 2 are best friends and Gilkey showed him around town.

Thankfully Gilkey told Jensen not read this board.
DreadNaught

Postby Caradoc » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:06 pm

Your whole post is such **** it hurt my eyes to read it. Your "human brain takes .25 seconds to respond to visual stimulus " is not only complete and utter bullshit but also ignores the fact that the play is a continuous event, not a sudden appearance out of nowhere. The slide was not only not instantaneous and unexpected, his whole posture has to change to go from run to slide, and it was entirely predictable that he would slide.

It was dirty AF.
Caradoc

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:33 pm

Caradoc wrote:

Your whole post is such **** it hurt my eyes to read it. Your "human brain takes .25 seconds to respond to visual stimulus " is not only complete and utter bullshit but also ignores the fact that the play is a continuous event, not a sudden appearance out of nowhere. The slide was not only not instantaneous and unexpected, his whole posture has to change to go from run to slide, and it was entirely predictable that he would slide.

It was dirty AF.

Ah, the science denier makes an appearance. You just can't see anything beyond the result of the play. Not the fact that it was late in a half of football, where tired defenders are out of gas, running at full speed. Nor that it was 3rd and 10, with the first down marker was the 10. The collision happened at the 11. Is Alonso supposed to be running towards Flacco thinking simultaneously 'prevent the first down' and 'if he slides, pull up?' If he goes in gingerly expecting a slide and Flacco jukes him and picks up a first down, then what?

You sound like a guy on a couch seeing the play like you imagine football to be, rather than using any actual experience with playing football.
Ken Carson

Postby terrytate » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
MJW wrote:

You can disagree, but you're doing so from a point of ignorance. You've never been an athlete traveling at that speed at that height and weight. You cannot possibly be realistic that he 'saw an opportunity' if you have any real concept of the science of neurology.

Tell me, where did you get your medical degree?
terrytate

Postby NYBF » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
You can disagree, but you're doing so from a point of ignorance. You've never been an athlete traveling at that speed at that height and weight.

You have?
NYBF

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
MJW wrote:

I have a real concept of seeing that scenario play out dozens of times before with the defender not blowing up the quarterback.
MJW

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:22 pm

NYBF wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:
You can disagree, but you're doing so from a point of ignorance. You've never been an athlete traveling at that speed at that height and weight.

You have?

No, but I’m the one giving the player the benefit of the doubt due the numerous contextual factors mentioned above. MJW definitively is stating that Alonso could have easily avoided hitting Flacco.
Ken Carson

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:28 pm

MJW wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:

I have a real concept of seeing that scenario play out dozens of times before with the defender not blowing up the quarterback.

It’s a fairly unique situation. Defender and QB start 18 yards apart, meet exactly 1 yard from the first down marker less than 2 seconds later on 3rd and 10, 27 minutes into a half of football traveling at full speed. I’d be really surprised if you’ve seen that happen dozens of times. If it’s not too much trouble, could you produce one of these dozen so we can do a comparison?
Ken Carson

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:30 pm

terrytate wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:

Funny thing is that neuroscientists don’t hoard findings as special secrets only for medical professionals. There is this thing called the Internet (personally, I think it’s a fad) where a large repository of information is available. You should look into it.
Ken Carson

Postby Rocker » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:59 am

Ken Carson wrote:
MJW wrote:

It’s a fairly unique situation. Defender and QB start 18 yards apart, meet exactly 1 yard from the first down marker less than 2 seconds later on 3rd and 10, 27 minutes into a half of football traveling at full speed. I’d be really surprised if you’ve seen that happen dozens of times. If it’s not too much trouble, could you produce one of these dozen so we can do a comparison?

I’ve played a ton of ball in my time; most of it pickup games or backyard squash matches. Always been the smallest guy on the field. Usually wound up playing safety and kick returns, with some corner and slot WR mixed in.

Point being, in real time; **** happens so damned fast you don’t have the chance to think, you only have time to react. And even then, your body is on autopilot, automatically adjusting to things you haven’t had the luxury of rationalizing.

The responses in this thread are laughable at best.
Rocker

Postby terrytate » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:03 am

Ken Carson wrote:
terrytate wrote:

Funny thing is that neuroscientists don’t hoard findings as special secrets only for medical professionals. There is this thing called the Internet (personally, I think it’s a fad) where a large repository of information is available. You should look into it.

Oh, so you went to the school of Web MD. I had you pegged as a University of Pheonix alum.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:07 am

Ken Carson wrote:
terrytate wrote:

Okay, with a lead-in like that, I'm sure you're ready to provide raw data.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:40 am

terrytate wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Funny thing is that neuroscientists don’t hoard findings as special secrets only for medical professionals. There is this thing called the Internet (personally, I think it’s a fad) where a large repository of information is available. You should look into it.

Oh, so you went to the school of Web MD. I had you pegged as a University of Pheonix alum.

University of Phoenix
mdb1958

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:29 am

MJW wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Funny thing is that neuroscientists don’t hoard findings as special secrets only for medical professionals. There is this thing called the Internet (personally, I think it’s a fad) where a large repository of information is available. You should look into it.

Okay, with a lead-in like that, I'm sure you're ready to provide raw data.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=choice+reaction+time+football
Ken Carson

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:31 am

terrytate wrote:

Terry, I don't know if you're just not aware that colleges and universities post scholarly papers online, or if your own ability to research subjects beyond your grasp is just this paltry, but either way I feel compelled to tell you that there is a wealth of information out that that has been peer-reviewed and published. It's pretty cool how people who haven't studied a particular discipline can read expert papers about it and become informed.
Ken Carson

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:45 am

Rocker wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:It’s a fairly unique situation. Defender and QB start 18 yards apart, meet exactly 1 yard from the first down marker less than 2 seconds later on 3rd and 10, 27 minutes into a half of football traveling at full speed. I’d be really surprised if you’ve seen that happen dozens of times. If it’s not too much trouble, could you produce one of these dozen so we can do a comparison?

I’ve played a ton of ball in my time; most of it pickup games or backyard squash matches. Always been the smallest guy on the field. Usually wound up playing safety and kick returns, with some corner and slot WR mixed in.

Point being, in real time; **** happens so damned fast you don’t have the chance to think, you only have time to react. And even then, your body is on autopilot, automatically adjusting to things you haven’t had the luxury of rationalizing.

It sounds like MJW et all believe that Kiko is running towards Flacco twirling his villain mustache and laughing menacingly.

But seriously, why can't Alonso stop 235 lbs traveling at 18 miles per hour during anaerobic exercising in the same amount of time it takes someone sitting in a lab expecting a reaction test to press a button with their thumb? Only conclusion is he's a dirty player, obviously brah.
Ken Carson

Postby Cheb » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:59 am

Ken Carson wrote:
Rocker wrote:

It sounds like MJW et all believe that Kiko is running towards Flacco twirling his villain mustache and laughing menacingly.

But seriously, why can't Alonso stop 235 lbs traveling at 18 miles per hour during anaerobic exercising in the same amount of time it takes someone sitting in a lab expecting a reaction test to press a button with their thumb? Only conclusion is he's a dirty player, obviously brah.

Kiko doesn't need to stop his momentum, he only needs to alter it. Big difference.

If you're saying it's nigh-impossible to pull up from contact that shouldn't be made, or at least being able to minimize said contact, have fun with that.
Cheb

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:14 am

Cheb wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:

Kiko doesn't need to stop his momentum, he only needs to alter it. Big difference.

If you're saying it's nigh-impossible to pull up from contact that shouldn't be made, or at least being able to minimize said contact, have fun with that.

I am saying he did minimize it. The target changed at the last second. Where he hit Flacco on the physical plane was the ‘right place’ (Flacco’ belly button) until it was the ‘wrong place’ (his head). There was a fraction of a second for him to react, and again, I say he did by not driving his forearm through Flacco’s head.
Ken Carson

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions