Brate: 6 year extension

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Brate: 6 year extension

Postby RobR » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:00 am

Anyone else unsure as to why nobody in this interview (http://www.buccaneers.com/videos/videos ... 6295a94bf9) is addressing the fact that Cam Brate and Casey Phillips are almost certainly long lost siblings.
RobR

Postby .irishHITMAN4rent » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:04 am

RobR wrote:Anyone else unsure as to why nobody in this interview (http://www.buccaneers.com/videos/videos ... 6295a94bf9) is addressing the fact that Cam Brate and Casey Phillips are almost certainly long lost siblings.

Yup, I have been thinking the exact same thing for month's!!!
It's crazy how similar they are
.irishHITMAN4rent

Postby UbuntuBuc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:30 am

Deuce wrote:A ton of people around here felt that we would not pay him and let him walk after next season.

I feel like it was only me and a couple of others that thought he was here for the long term.

Yep. I was looking to find that thread to remind people about what they said.
UbuntuBuc

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:46 am

UbuntuBuc wrote:
Deuce wrote:A ton of people around here felt that we would not pay him and let him walk after next season.

I feel like it was only me and a couple of others that thought he was here for the long term.

IIRC most wanted to keep him, as did I, but felt OBP wouldn't deal out the $8+M/yr deal he could chase on the market. We got him for 6.8M/year. Apparently, he wasn't chasing it- who knew. Trey Burton just got $32M over 4 from the Bears and Brate is not only the same age but bigger and has done more in each of his last two years than Burton has done in his last two combined. Brate could have chased some paper but didn't. No one saw that coming.
Doctor

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:48 am

UbuntuBuc wrote:

I was going to do the same but surprisingly, most copped to it, albeit in a dismissive way. Except one (you know who).
Deuce

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:23 am

Trey Burton gets 4 years $32 million from the Bears. About $1.5m more per year than our deal for Brate. Both are 26.

23 catches for 248 and 5 TDs is what Burton did last year. Brate did that as a part time player in 2015, before averaging 53 rec, 630 yards and 7 TDs over the past two seasons.

Based on market price, an't see how Brate's deal is anything but a positive.
Ken Carson

Postby Buc2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:35 am

Sammich wrote:
MJW wrote:
I'm not getting dragged into this because cooler heads will not prevail.

We re-signed a good young player at a market value deal. The end.

To continue for MJW here, the point isn't what we're paying them. We have plenty of cap room. The point is the opportunity cost of having both of them. We are 2 deep at a less important position while we remain 0 deep at more important positions. Our lines suck and no amount of TEs or slot WRs will change that. If we intended to move forward with OJ then we should have traded Brate. If we intended to extend Brate then we should have drafted someone besides OJ.

Its like spending money on a second set of fancy wheels for your car while the broken transmission is sitting on the ground next to it.

I don't mean this a negative about Brate or OJ. I think they are both fine young players. I just feel like whichever is the "2nd" is a luxury we aren't a good enough team to be able to afford.

So how does signing Brate hurt those 0 deep positions?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby UbuntuBuc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:42 am

Doctor wrote:
UbuntuBuc wrote:

IIRC most wanted to keep him, as did I, but felt OBP wouldn't deal out the $8+M/yr deal he could chase on the market. We got him for 6.8M/year. Apparently, he wasn't chasing it- who knew. Trey Burton just got $32M over 4 from the Bears and Brate is not only the same age but bigger and has done more in each of his last two years than Burton has done in his last two combined. Brate could have chased some paper but didn't. No one saw that coming.

Brate likely does not need to chase the money. Harvard education and all. He might also feel this team is on the cusp and wanted to stay. Some of us might have seen that coming.
UbuntuBuc

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:53 am

RobR wrote:Anyone else unsure as to why nobody in this interview (http://www.buccaneers.com/videos/videos ... 6295a94bf9) is addressing the fact that Cam Brate and Casey Phillips are almost certainly long lost siblings.

Per @Insiderrr
Brate decided to give the Bucs a discount in order to continue his Lannister-esque love affair with Bucs reporter Casey Phillips.
real bucs fan

Postby Buc2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:59 am

real bucs fan wrote:

Per @Insiderrr
Brate decided to give the Bucs a discount in order to continue his Lannister-esque love affair with Bucs reporter Casey Phillips.

*****. Costing men since they started walking upright.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc You » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:10 pm

Buc2 wrote:So how does signing Brate hurt those 0 deep positions?

You didn't know about the new NFL rule that gives any team a starting caliber player at a position of need if they trade away a starting-caliber player from a position they don't need as much?
Buc You

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:33 pm

real bucs fan wrote:

Per @Insiderrr

I thought it was because he liked living with Humph and Griffin too much.
IchabodCrane84

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:38 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

That would be much more of a House Martell thing...
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:43 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
IchabodCrane84 wrote:

That would be much more of a House Martell thing...

DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:22 pm

LMFAO....

This board is the damn best... absolutely the best..
Super K

Postby Four Verticals » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:00 pm

Sammich wrote:
Let's say we decided Brate was the guy we wanted to roll with just for conversation. We could have then used OJ's pick to draft T. White, Takk McKinley, Forrest Lamp, or someone like that and it would have made us a better team overall.

If OJ was the guy then we could have traded Brate for a player at a position where we have a hole or a pick to draft that guy.

Teams only have so many resources to work with and the objective is to build the best team. Devoting a lot of resources to a backup or role player when you have glaring holes leads to 5-11 seasons.

Brate is not a very good inline TE thus Howard was drafted. His value is lining up as a move TE and down by the goal line. This is in particular for the QB the Bucs have who works best with tall receivers and are more stationary.
Four Verticals

Postby Four Verticals » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:04 pm

MJW wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
OJ Howard was BPA and does things that Brate will never do as far as blocking. For a team that values 2 TE sets, we need both and we can't get back the 1st round pick we got for Howard. Your explanation still doesn't explain outrage or even questioning singing Brate. If he walked we would have used a resource on a replacement. We likely wouldn't have gone into a season with Howard, especially with how green he is and his injury, and Auclair or Cross being basically a starter. If Howard develops to what we all hope, we can still trade Brate, but as of now Brate is our best option and we have a ton of hope in Howard. Even if Howard develops, 2 good TEs is highly coveted around the league. The Patriots value TE more than WR. Letting Brate walk, especially if we could have been had for this amount of money, would have been worst case scenario.

I'm not 100% clear on how the whole, "He's a tight end who doesn't block!" thing is a plus in his column. It makes it seem a lot like we just paid a slot receiver 6/41.

To you it would.

To those who understand the game, they would recognize the value this particular player has for this team currently. BTW.....if this hasn't been mentioned later in this thread....his deal is a one year $7mil deal with an option to kick in a secondary guarantee on league day 5 in 2019. So while the $41mil makes for a nice dramatic piece, it has very little to do with the truth.
Four Verticals

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:22 pm

Doctor wrote:
UbuntuBuc wrote:

It’s a sign of intelligence. Who knows if he will gel as well on a new team? He has more of an opportunity to get paid for multiple years on a new contract here. The situation is important with this player as he does not necessarily have elite measurables or a full toolbox for his position.
Brazen331

Previous

Return to Team Discussions