The Free Agency Thread

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: The Free Agency Thread

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:34 pm

What are the chances McDonald repeats his "performance" from last season at age 31? Pretty slim. There's not much upside in bringing McDonald back. Sometimes you have to know when it's over.
Bootz2004

Postby Selmon Rules » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:54 pm

What's the downside?? Find out he can't repeat what he has been and gets cut???

Don't see the problem here
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:01 pm

Selmon Rules wrote:What's the downside?? Find out he can't repeat what he has been and gets cut???

The problem would be he doesnt repeat. Instead of trying to find an upgrade, we stick to mediocrity and it gets worse. At least with Unrein and Allen they are younger and have some type upside. Well Allen at least.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:What are the chances McDonald repeats his "performance" from last season at age 31? Pretty slim. There's not much upside in bringing McDonald back. Sometimes you have to know when it's over.

The upside is he had a quarter of our sacks last year, the number two producer on our team in that category, and the Bucs are the worst pass rushing team in the league. We have the cap space. He's a known commodity and is by all accounts a great dude.

But you're saying we shouldn't resign him because he doesn't have upside? The upside is that without him, we would have gotten a pathetic 16 sacks last season. Do you want a 16 sack season? Because assuming that Licht hasn't completely bungled another free agent class is how you get a 16 sacks season.

There's no downside to resigning McDonald. None. At best, he repeats or betters his production and provides a steady veteran presence in the middle of the defense, and doesn't cause the defense to implode in the case of injury. At worst, he gets relegated to backup duty or gets cut.
Cheb

Postby Naismith » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:27 pm

I'd guess they told McDonald a number they'd bring him back at and he decided to see what his market was instead. While he was doing that, the Bucs signed two DTs and likely closed the door on a return.
Naismith

Postby theBKwhopper » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:29 pm

Naismith wrote:I'd guess they told McDonald a number they'd bring him back at and he decided to see what his market was instead. While he was doing that, the Bucs signed two DTs and likely closed the door on a return.

I actually thought about that. I'd still bring him back if he doesn't get any offers.
theBKwhopper

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:42 pm

Cheb wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:What are the chances McDonald repeats his "performance" from last season at age 31? Pretty slim. There's not much upside in bringing McDonald back. Sometimes you have to know when it's over.

The upside is he had a quarter of our sacks last year, the number two producer on our team in that category, and the Bucs are the worst pass rushing team in the league. We have the cap space. He's a known commodity and is by all accounts a great dude.

But you're saying we shouldn't resign him because he doesn't have upside? The upside is that without him, we would have gotten a pathetic 16 sacks last season. Do you want a 16 sack season? Because assuming that Licht hasn't completely bungled another free agent class is how you get a 16 sacks season.

There's no downside to resigning McDonald. None. At best, he repeats or betters his production and provides a steady veteran presence in the middle of the defense, and doesn't cause the defense to implode in the case of injury. At worst, he gets relegated to backup duty or gets cut.

The Bucs say otherwise. Conventional wisdom says that at 31 the Bucs FO felt McDonalds best days were behind him. And his best isn’t good enough to do much of anything. McDonald was never that guy. He was not terrible enough to cut. That’s why Licht went out and signed Baker. Thats why after Ayers was signed there was such a big deal about him sliding inside next to McCoy on passing downs. McDonald is at his best a mediocre presence on the Oline. 5 sacks on the worst pass rushing team in football. That means something to the fans. He doesn’t help at all against the run and isn’t a consistent threat. Him being a good guy is why so many want him back. Not for what he brings on the field.
Bootz2004

Postby Rocker » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:45 pm

I get your thought process to an extent. However, the man has performed enough to warrant a resigning - especially considering our lack of trench talent. Frankly, I’d be upset if we didn’t bring him back. He’s a solid rotational guy, and we need that kind of guy.
Rocker

Postby theBKwhopper » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:02 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Cheb wrote:

The Bucs say otherwise. Conventional wisdom says that at 31 the Bucs FO felt McDonalds best days were behind him. And his best isn’t good enough to do much of anything. McDonald was never that guy. He was not terrible enough to cut. That’s why Licht went out and signed Baker. Thats why after Ayers was signed there was such a big deal about him sliding inside next to McCoy on passing downs. McDonald is at his best a mediocre presence on the Oline. 5 sacks on the worst pass rushing team in football. That means something to the fans. He doesn’t help at all against the run and isn’t a consistent threat. Him being a good guy is why so many want him back. Not for what he brings on the field.

You make good points. I agree that it doesn't say much that he was the second leading sacker on the league's worst pass rush. I also don't think he should be a starter. I just think he'd bring a strong veteran presence and decent depth to the unit. Wasn't he just a captain within the past two years? He has clout on our team. That says something.
theBKwhopper

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:41 am

We just spent over a hundred mil really quick. My question is do we draft players that are "our own" and prepare them for prosperous contracts or do we continue down this road of giving it to other people.
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:24 am

mdb1958 wrote:We just spent over a hundred mil really quick. My question is do we draft players that are "our own" and prepare them for prosperous contracts or do we continue down this road of giving it to other people.

2 of the 3 biggest contracts we gave out this offseason went to our own players. I believe Jensen is the 1st time Licht has made a FA from another team the highest paid player at his position. There hasn't been a real pattern of paying top dollar for FAs here.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:46 am

mdb1958 wrote:We just spent over a hundred mil really quick. My question is do we draft players that are "our own" and prepare them for prosperous contracts or do we continue down this road of giving it to other people.

Both overthecap and spotrac have the Bucs and just over $40m in remaining 2018 cap.

Marpet, Donovan Smith and Kwon are due extensions. Getting all three re-signed + the money for the rookie draft picks will take up the remaining space the Bucs have.

I doubt we see much more action from the Bucs as it relates to free agents.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:46 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

2 of the 3 biggest contracts we gave out this offseason went to our own players. I believe Jensen is the 1st time Licht has made a FA from another team the highest paid player at his position. There hasn't been a real pattern of paying top dollar for FAs here.

I was referring to other free agents being brought in. Well except Keith Tandy and we brought back Aaron Lynch. Of course they get crumbs.
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:51 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I was referring to other free agents being brought in. Well except Keith Tandy and we brought back Aaron Lynch.

The FAs we brought in were all signed to the typical Jason Licht value deal except Jensen. Small guarantees and length, nothing guaranteed for skill past year 1. Aaron Lynch has never played here.
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:58 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

I was referring to other free agents being brought in. Well except Keith Tandy and we brought back Aaron Lynch.

The FAs we brought in were all signed to the typical Jason Licht value deal except Jensen. Small guarantees and length, nothing guaranteed for skill past year 1. Aaron Lynch has never played here.

My bad, I got him confused with Cameron Lynch.
mdb1958

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:00 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I was actually unaware we signed Cameron Lynch. He spent the late part of the 2017 season with the Rams.
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:08 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

I was actually unaware we signed Cameron Lynch. He spent the late part of the 2017 season with the Rams.

Woulda rather had Aaron for $705,000!
mdb1958

Postby Selmon Rules » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Selmon Rules wrote:What's the downside?? Find out he can't repeat what he has been and gets cut???

The problem would be he doesnt repeat. Instead of trying to find an upgrade, we stick to mediocrity and it gets worse. At least with Unrein and Allen they are younger and have some type upside. Well Allen at least.

If someone else beats him out, it doesn't matter.... That someone may come from the draft or elsewhere, who knows. Nobody said he is the only other DT the Bucs are allowed to bring to camp.
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:11 pm

So, Gruden just reunited with his QB of the future, Josh Johnson.
Miller4Prez64

Postby DominatingD55 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:So, Gruden just reunited with his QB of the future, Josh Johnson.
**** just got real.
DominatingD55

Postby MJW » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:19 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

I'm much more worried about this happening with Grimes. He was better than mediocre last season, but he showed signs of decline. and besides re-signing him, we've done nothing at corner. I wish he'd retired and forced Licht to seek an upgrade. If he falls off the cliff and VHIII doesn't find his footing, our cornerback situation will be 2012 caliber bad next year.
MJW

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:33 pm

DominatingD55 wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:So, Gruden just reunited with his QB of the future, Josh Johnson.
**** just got real.

I literally LOL'd...
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Mike Pouncey signed with the Chargers
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:45 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Mike Pouncey signed with the Chargers

Chargers have a sneaky good roster. If they can stay healthy they should be damn good next year.
DreadNaught

Postby The Outsider » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:11 pm

DominatingD55 wrote:
**** just got real.

That's future GOAT Josh Johnson now that the stars have aligned. 7 Superbowls in 7 years!
The Outsider

Postby Agent Orange » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:13 pm

Pete Prisco's top 50 free agents shows that we signed Navorro Bowman to a 4 year contract. I can't find that listed elsewhere. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Agent Orange

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:20 pm

Agent Orange wrote:Pete Prisco's top 50 free agents shows that we signed Navorro Bowman to a 4 year contract. I can't find that listed elsewhere. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Bowman might be dead in 4 years, he may be done already if a team doesn't want an old, slow LB.
DreadNaught

Postby theBKwhopper » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:22 pm

Agent Orange wrote:Pete Prisco's top 50 free agents shows that we signed Navorro Bowman to a 4 year contract. I can't find that listed elsewhere. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I can't confirm or deny it. But, I seriously doubt it. It's gotta be a mistake. It hasn't been reported and I don't see why we would sign him. He won't get any playing time.
theBKwhopper

Postby Four Verticals » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:29 pm

Since Jensen was right above Bowman on Prisco's list, my guess is that they copied the Jensen move down a line. It's a mistake.
Four Verticals

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:44 am

Whenever I think of Navarro Bowman, I think of that nasty knee injury he had a couple of years ago.

It's nasty
Spoiler:
Mountaineer Buc

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions