Your Backup Quarterback Preference

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
What Would You Do?

1) Bring back the pasty giraffe
50%
2) Bring back the Rubik's Cube guy
18%
3) Hand RGI the backup job he's been groomed for here since roughly 2003.
23%
4) Bring in another crusty vet (specify.)
No votes
5) Draft a backup QB (specify.)
9%
6) Don't sign anyone. Backup quarterbacks don't matter, just look at the Eagles (Courtesy Bootz)
No votes

Total votes : 22

Re: Your Backup Quarterback Preference

Postby BucaRican » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:15 pm

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Except that makes no sense. If Winston fails DK and JL are done. There's no "wait, we have a new hope we've been grooming" card.

So why even have a backup quarterback? If Winston fails or get hurt, let's just forfeit the rest of our games.

Right lets save that roster spot. We need depth at PR.
BucaRican

Postby terrytate » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:41 pm

BucaRican wrote:
MJW wrote:
So why even have a backup quarterback? If Winston fails or get hurt, let's just forfeit the rest of our games.

Right lets save that roster spot. We need depth at PR.

Yeah, because you can't win back with a backup. Why even have one?
terrytate

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Looks like Fitzpatrick will be back. I'm good with it, I mean the curse can't actually be real, can it?
real bucs fan

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:58 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Looks like Fitzpatrick will be back. I'm good with it, I mean the curse can't actually be real, can it?

Nah we crashed and burned all on our own last year.
PrimeMinister

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:33 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Looks like Fitzpatrick will be back. I'm good with it, I mean the curse can't actually be real, can it?

Nah we crashed and burned all on our own last year.

I'm referring to the curse where every guy he backs up gets injured.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:37 pm

I would have preferred Glennon, but I'm fine with Fitz. He played perfectly well for a backup when called upon and he's a great guy in the QB room by all accounts.

That said, I think it's time to move on from Griffin. OBP has made it clear that heading into 4 years in Tampa, they don't think he's #2 quarterback worthy. He'll be 29 this year. Either roll with 2 QBs, or preferably, draft someone to potentially develop for 2019.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:39 pm

MJW wrote:I would have preferred Glennon, but I'm fine with Fitz. He played perfectly well for a backup when called upon and he's a great guy in the QB room by all accounts.

That said, I think it's time to move on from Griffin. OBP has made it clear that heading into 4 years in Tampa, they don't think he's #2 quarterback worthy. He'll be 29 this year. Either roll with 2 QBs, or preferably, draft someone to potentially develop for 2019.

Griffin got hurt. I think he competes with Fitz this year to be the #2, and is eventually the backup if not this year, next year. We could take a late round flyer on a QB then, right now though, we have too many holes to fill.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:42 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
MJW wrote:I would have preferred Glennon, but I'm fine with Fitz. He played perfectly well for a backup when called upon and he's a great guy in the QB room by all accounts.

Griffin got hurt. I think he competes with Fitz this year to be the #2, and is eventually the backup if not this year, next year. We could take a late round flyer on a QB then, right now though, we have too many holes to fill.

I just think this was the perfect opportunity to commit to Griffin as the #2, and before free agency even opens we re-sign Fitz. This is going to be his 4th year here and he'll turn 29 in November. He's neither an unknown commodity to the staff nor a spring chicken brimming with upside. If this is how we feel about him, I'd rather just move on. If we don't want to use a pick on a #3, sign an UFA or two and see if they can win the job. If not, just go with 2 QBs. Much of the league is doing so these days.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:44 pm

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Griffin got hurt. I think he competes with Fitz this year to be the #2, and is eventually the backup if not this year, next year. We could take a late round flyer on a QB then, right now though, we have too many holes to fill.

I just think this was the perfect opportunity to commit to Griffin as the #2, and before free agency even opens we re-sign Fitz. This is going to be his 4th year here and he'll turn 29 in November. He's neither an unknown commodity to the staff nor a spring chicken brimming with upside. If this is how we feel about him, I'd rather just move on. If we don't want to use a pick on a #3, sign an UFA or two and see if they can win the job. If not, just go with 2 QBs. Much of the league is doing so these days.

I don't think you need to "commit" to a backup. I think you want a competition, and for the best guy to win it. That's my opinion at least.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:52 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
MJW wrote:

I don't think you need to "commit" to a backup. I think you want a competition, and for the best guy to win it. That's my opinion at least.

If they felt great about Griffin, they don't resign Fitzpatrick on March 8th, likely to a deal that exceeds the $3 mil he got last year. They certainly bring in some competition, probably of the vet minimum variety. But this is the move you make when the thought of Griffin being heavy favorite for the #2 job scares you.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:57 pm

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I don't think you need to "commit" to a backup. I think you want a competition, and for the best guy to win it. That's my opinion at least.

If they felt great about Griffin, they don't resign Fitzpatrick on March 8th, likely to a deal that exceeds the $3 mil he got last year. They certainly bring in some competition, probably of the vet minimum variety. But this is the move you make when the thought of Griffin being heavy favorite for the #2 job scares you.

Backup QBs just want paychecks. Bring as many in as you can, let them compete, and let the best guy win. What's the problem with that?
real bucs fan

Postby BucaRican » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:38 pm

I am sure this is not new news, but hey this thread can be saved for next year!
BucaRican

Previous

Return to Team Discussions