33 Biggest Buccaneers Questions Heading Into The Offseason

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
33 Biggest Buccaneers Questions Heading Into The Offseason

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:51 am

Ummmm...perfectly straightforward description. In no meaningful order:

1) Will we trust Ryan Griffin to be the clear-cut QB2, or will we bring someone else in? We paid him solid money last offseason with this scenario in mind. But it also wouldn't be the first time we've swerved from a plan around here.

2) Either way, do we draft a late-round QB? You know me. I would draft a QB every single year. With Griffin a FA after the year, why not draft someone who can compete for that spot in 2019? Or is it a wasted pick with Winston entrenched?

3) Do we sign a veteran back to compete for the RB1 job? It's a big question. If we do, is it a clear-cut #1 option like Le'Veon Bell, or a guy who can compete for carries with Barber?

4) We have a long history of drafting backs high around here - from Rhett to Alstott to Dunn to Caddy to Martin. Do we do so again?

5) Regardless of #3 and #4, do we look at someone to fill the Charles Sims role in our offense? Or did Koetter evolve the offense away from it last year?

6) Do we make any effort to fill the fullback spot, or do we just continue to throw Alan Cross or Austin Johnson out there when we feel like it?

7) With Chris Godwin primed to play a bigger role in the offense, do we look to deal Adam Humphries with a year of cheap team control left?

8) Do we look to bring in an actual NFL return man for the first time since Clifton Smith was murdered on the field?

9) Same question for Brate as with Humphries. We have another year of cheap team control for a talented player facing a diminishing role. Do we look to deal?

10) Is Antony Auclair secured as the new Luke Stocker - the unsung blocker and occasional red zone target of the offense?

11) Does OBP start talking to Donovan Smith about an extension. If they try to lowball him, will he just let it get by him while he slowly gets out of his negotiating stance?

12) How big do we go in replacing the SmithPhile shitshow at left guard? Andrew Norwell big? Quentin Nelson big? Or do we simply accept we can upgrade cheaply and look for a Jason Licht Blue Light Special?

13) Do we give Ali Marpet his money now, or wait until we know what his permanent role will be?

14) Do we draft or sign someone to challenge Sweezy at Right Guard, either this year or next?

15) Also, do we spend money/draft picks on finding a young right tackle to learn behind Dotson? Or a swing tackle at all?

16) Is Patrick Murray handed the job, or does he have to win it against a veteran or a rookie in camp?

17) Does William Gholston survive the offseason after his grotesque 2017? There's no cap penalty for dumping him after all.

18) How much do we count on Noah Spence next year? Is he penciled in as a starter again or do we have a Plan A-2 at that spot?

19) Does Robert Ayers make it through the offseason?

20) With Clinton McDonald unsigned, do we bring him back, look for another 3T to spell McCoy, or try to fix the problem in-house?

21) Does OBP like Stevie T enough to give him the job on the nose?

22) Do we talk to Kwon Alexander about an extension, or is the real plan to slide Beckwith over in a year and give Glanton or Bond the job?

23) Do we go big at sign a #1 cornerback like Trumaine Johnson?

24) Do we bring back Brent Grimes if we don't?

25) Do we trust VHIII to be more than a nickel back in 2018, as we ponder his 5th year option? Or are we simply cutting our losses with his diminished role at this point?

26) Does OBP like Ryan Smith enough to trust him with a starting corner job?

27) Does Chris Conte get handed a job here for the 13th year in a row?

28) Is Justin Evans a talent we're planning to build our defense around, or should we temper those expectations?

29) Do we need to sign a 3rd safety we can trust in case one of those two stumbles?

30) Do we pencil Jacquizz Rodgers in for another year as a trust veteran backup, or do we accept that he sucks and move on?

31) Does Dirk Koetter finally stand up to Joe Hawley and tell him that he doesn't care what pictures he has of Koetter with that stripper, he's NOT getting handed another job next year?

32) Does JAB return from major injury and live up to the flashes of talent he displayed two years ago?

33) Will reserve offensive tackle Givens Price retire from the NFL and fulfill his destiny by starting a financial services firm?
MJW

Re: 33 Biggest Buccaneers Questions Heading Into The Offseas

Postby Deuce » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:24 am

MJW wrote:8) Do we look to bring in an actual NFL return man for the first time since Clifton Smith was murdered on the field?

I honestly don't understand how a team can be around for so long and have such a bad history of return men. Yeah, we had Karl Williams and Clifton Smith. Obligatory Michael Spurlock mention.

I think the fact that we've also had Tim Brown and Jacquizz Rodgers as return men cancels out any good history we may have had. But to be fair, I don't mind Humphries as a punt returner.

How is this possible?
Deuce

Postby Buc2 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:21 pm

Many good questions, MJW. Of course, as I'm sure you're well aware, many of them are interdependent and can or can't be answered depending on how other(s) are answered or ignored. I'd love to see that list get into the building at One Buc Place. Damn DTG for always skipping our off-seasons here. He'd be the perfect candidate to find someone to slip that list into Koetter's chair. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:33 pm

#23 - no
mdb1958

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:07 pm

MJW wrote:1) Will we trust Ryan Griffin to be the clear-cut QB2, or will we bring someone else in? We paid him solid money last offseason with this scenario in mind. But it also wouldn't be the first time we've swerved from a plan around here.
I thought Fitz was going to stick around.

2) Either way, do we draft a late-round QB? You know me. I would draft a QB every single year. With Griffin a FA after the year, why not draft someone who can compete for that spot in 2019? Or is it a wasted pick with Winston entrenched?
Not opposed to burning a 7th on one but I doubt we do.

3) Do we sign a veteran back to compete for the RB1 job? It's a big question. If we do, is it a clear-cut #1 option like Le'Veon Bell, or a guy who can compete for carries with Barber?
IF we do, I doubt it'll be a home run guy like Bell even though it's not a bad idea.

4) We have a long history of drafting backs high around here - from Rhett to Alstott to Dunn to Caddy to Martin. Do we do so again?
I think so. Licht likes to fill holes in free agency to have freedom in the draft. I think Barkley, Michel, Chubb, Guice, Freeman, Jones, and Johnson are all on the radar if he can't find a guy he likes on the market.

5) Regardless of #3 and #4, do we look at someone to fill the Charles Sims role in our offense? Or did Koetter evolve the offense away from it last year?
I think Dirk likes scat backs on third down. And while Sims does make the most of the touches he does get, I think you're right that he could choose to move on from Sims in favor of a new guy. I count 22 backs ranging from 190-215lbs that could be had during and after the draft.

6) Do we make any effort to fill the fullback spot, or do we just continue to throw Alan Cross or Austin Johnson out there when we feel like it?
I think they like Cross in that role. Pity. I wouldn't mind seeing the return of an Alstott like FB that can get 3rd and 2 seemingly every time. Maybe Kamryn Pettway from Auburn can be that guy.

7) With Chris Godwin primed to play a bigger role in the offense, do we look to deal Adam Humphries with a year of cheap team control left?
If he wants to get shrewd, he could deal Humph prior to the Oct. 30 deadline to a WR hungry team that maybe lost a couple guys and get a premium. But if Humph gets dealt prior to the draft I will not be shocked. Not a great WR group this year.

8) Do we look to bring in an actual NFL return man for the first time since Clifton Smith was murdered on the field?
RIP Peanut. If you wanna draft one, look no further than Dante Pettis from Washington. You'll have to burn a third rounder to get him as your #3-4 WR/KR though. Going to be a luxury pick for somebody.

9) Same question for Brate as with Humphries. We have another year of cheap team control for a talented player facing a diminishing role. Do we look to deal?
Same answer as Humphries question. We really need to think about what we want from our #2 TE.

10) Is Antony Auclair secured as the new Luke Stocker - the unsung blocker and occasional red zone target of the offense?
Could be. He doesn't fire me up though.

11) Does OBP start talking to Donovan Smith about an extension. If they try to lowball him, will he just let it get by him while he slowly gets out of his negotiating stance?
She's got jokes. But seriously, I wouldn't expect Smith to be looking for Joe Thomas money. $3-4M per year should be plenty.

12) How big do we go in replacing the SmithPhile shitshow at left guard? Andrew Norwell big? Quentin Nelson big? Or do we simply accept we can upgrade cheaply and look for a Jason Licht Blue Light Special?
I think Licht knows he has to make a substantial effort into both lines this offseason. He's got all the skill guys an NFL GM could ask for outside of starting RB and the sack total for 2017 shows the GLARING need there. So I think he does an all of the above approach.

13) Do we give Ali Marpet his money now, or wait until we know what his permanent role will be?
I think we'll wait.

14) Do we draft or sign someone to challenge Sweezy at Right Guard, either this year or next?
Good question. I think the right thing to do is look for a Guard or center prospect that can be depth at first and then evolve into either spot. Marpet did some great work there as a rookie and there'd be no shame in bringing in a natural center allowing Marpet to go back if Sweezy can't cut the mustard.

15) Also, do we spend money/draft picks on finding a young right tackle to learn behind Dotson? Or a swing tackle at all?
Not this year unless its a late round flyer on a guy like Cole Madison from Washington state (I'm really starting to like that program) or Zach Crabtree from Okie State both of whom could be had day 3.

16) Is Patrick Murray handed the job, or does he have to win it against a veteran or a rookie in camp?
I see no need for another kicking war

17) Does William Gholston survive the offseason after his grotesque 2017? There's no cap penalty for dumping him after all.
I think he'd have to either be a casualty of signing one of the big time guys in FA or get beat in camp by the JoJo Wickers and Tyquan Lewises of this draft class.

18) How much do we count on Noah Spence next year? Is he penciled in as a starter again or do we have a Plan A-2 at that spot?
I think he's expected to return to whatever form he was supposed to be at to begin with.

If it were up to me, no.

20) With Clinton McDonald unsigned, do we bring him back, look for another 3T to spell McCoy, or try to fix the problem in-house?
We bring him back and add some guys who can rotate in and develop. Even if they are drafted high.

We gon find out.

22) Do we talk to Kwon Alexander about an extension, or is the real plan to slide Beckwith over in a year and give Glanton or Bond the job?
I love me some Kwon, but it's hard to ignore what Beckwith did. Personally, I'd like to see LVD, Kwon, and Beck all on the field at the same time in any configuration necessary to maximize each man. I look at Bond and Glanton as able bodied depth.

I think it's a necessity.

Does Grimes even want to play anymore?

25) Do we trust VHIII to be more than a nickel back in 2018, as we ponder his 5th year option? Or are we simply cutting our losses with his diminished role at this point?
I have no problem with VHIII at nickel if that's the best place for him.

Depends on who gets signed. I think he'd start over most of the rookies though.

13? The man has been the starting Safety in tampa since 1967. Where'd you get 13?

28) Is Justin Evans a talent we're planning to build our defense around, or should we temper those expectations?
I think he breaks out this year.

29) Do we need to sign a 3rd safety we can trust in case one of those two stumbles?
I think we draft one regardless.

30) Do we pencil Jacquizz Rodgers in for another year as a trust veteran backup, or do we accept that he sucks and move on?
We keep him because he has naked pictures of Koetter's wife.

31) Does Dirk Koetter finally stand up to Joe Hawley and tell him that he doesn't care what pictures he has of Koetter with that stripper, he's NOT getting handed another job next year?
Oh, that's hysterical cuz I just made that joke. What is happening to the centers not named Ragnow and Price in this draft is downright criminal. There are some very good ones out there and like I said, I think we grab one to back up Marpet and develop. Joe the warrior Hawley is prolly a camp cut.

32) Does JAB return from major injury and live up to the flashes of talent he displayed two years ago?
It would be nice, wouldn't it?

33) Will reserve offensive tackle Givens Price retire from the NFL and fulfill his destiny by starting a financial services firm?
Hey, maybe he's that RT you were thinking of.

Edited for formatting
There you go.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:38 am

Ragnow can be our starting center or guard.
mdb1958

Postby Patrick McIrish » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:20 pm

MJW wrote:Ummmm...perfectly straightforward description. In no meaningful order:

1) Will we trust Ryan Griffin to be the clear-cut QB2, or will we bring someone else in? We paid him solid money last offseason with this scenario in mind. But it also wouldn't be the first time we've swerved from a plan around here.

Solid work, well done.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:15 pm

As far as the backup QB situation is concerned, I'm going to put my money on that job going back to the giraffe. He's for sure being released by Chicago, and I don't see him getting another starting gig elsewhere. A reunion is going to happen, I think Rick Stroud may have mentioned it the other day as a possibility too.
Miller4Prez64

Postby theBKwhopper » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:48 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:As far as the backup QB situation is concerned, I'm going to put my money on that job going back to the giraffe. He's for sure being released by Chicago, and I don't see him getting another starting gig elsewhere. A reunion is going to happen, I think Rick Stroud may have mentioned it the other day as a possibility too.

Idk I think Glennon better than his team made him look. A QB desperate team might throw some money at him.
theBKwhopper

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:48 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:As far as the backup QB situation is concerned, I'm going to put my money on that job going back to the giraffe. He's for sure being released by Chicago, and I don't see him getting another starting gig elsewhere. A reunion is going to happen, I think Rick Stroud may have mentioned it the other day as a possibility too.

Idk I think Glennon better than his team made him look. A QB desperate team might throw some money at him.

I think there is too many QBs available this offseason for a team to throw money at Glennon. I see the Bucs bringing him back honestly, it makes a ton of sense for all sides.
Miller4Prez64

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:32 am

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:Idk I think Glennon better than his team made him look. A QB desperate team might throw some money at him.

I think there is too many QBs available this offseason for a team to throw money at Glennon. I see the Bucs bringing him back honestly, it makes a ton of sense for all sides.

He's kind of in no-man's land. After Chicago, nobody is going to bring him in to be the guy. So...what? He could potentially warm a seat for some first round pick for a year (which I think maybe he'd like to avoid having to do again), or he could could come back here, probably with a multi-year deal, where he's comfortable with his teammates and his coaches and his role.

At least, I hope that's what happens. I didn't see Nick Foles do anything in Philly that Mike Glennon couldn't do under similar circumstances (great line, great running game, great defense, great receivers.)
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:03 pm

MJW wrote:I didn't see Nick Foles do anything in Philly that Mike Glennon couldn't do under similar circumstances (great line, great running game, great defense, great receivers.)

Yep.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Return to Team Discussions