To Suh or not to Suh

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
If Miami decides to trade Suh away, are you good with this or would you rather pass?

I'm absolutely on board.
66%
I'd rather pass and find our fix with the draft/other FA's
34%

Total votes : 35

To Suh or not to Suh

Postby Hatter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:30 pm

I know some folks opinions of the type of player Suh is (and the jerk he can be also) but if Miami trades his remaining contract away like it sounds they may be interested in, are you game or is he a cancer?
Hatter

Re: To Suh or not to Suh

Postby Caradoc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:32 pm

What would we have to give up?
Caradoc

Postby Cheb » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:35 pm

Just wait for him to get cut, then sign him if he fits.

I would think that there are better uses of our offseason resources than pandering to Mr Suh.
Cheb

Postby Hatter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:46 pm

Caradoc wrote:What would we have to give up?

I wasn't necessarily looking at it from that angle being we have the cap space, more just gauging if the board would welcome the move of just having him in pewter.. or if he'd be more of a headache than we care to deal with. The need for any form of pass rush is skewing my own opinion on this issue..
Hatter

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:48 pm

I'd be for him coming here. Hell yes. Who would he be a headache for? Oh yea, the fans.
Bootz2004

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:53 pm

I would be all for signing Suh ( and Jamaal Charles )
Jason Bourne

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:17 pm

If Miami cuts him to just get him out of the lockerroom, would we even want that here? Give me Star.
real bucs fan

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:28 pm

Hell yeah sign him. Even if Miami just cuts him to get him out of the locker room. Not all locker rooms are the same, and at this point in his career, and in our locker room I think it might be the sort of thing we need. At least he’s a serious competitor unlike the fatass clown we just cut
beardmcdoug

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:49 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:Hell yeah sign him. Even if Miami just cuts him to get him out of the locker room. Not all locker rooms are the same, and at this point in his career, and in our locker room I think it might be the sort of thing we need. At least he’s a serious competitor unlike the fatass clown we just cut

Yep, and Suh and McCoy are friends , that would make a nasty pair of DTs
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:57 pm

Evan Smith probably wouldn’t like Suh here ..lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6fl0XffpBsI
Jason Bourne

Postby Super K » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:06 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:Evan Smith probably wouldn’t like Suh here ..lol

That's ok, EVERYONE doesn't like Evan Smith here...

He can GTFO...
Super K

Postby Teitan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:57 pm

No thanks.
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:Evan Smith probably wouldn’t like Suh here ..lol

Well unfortunately for Evan Smith he won't be part of this team anymore on March 14th...
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:06 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:I'd be for him coming here. Hell yes. Who would he be a headache for? Oh yea, the fans.

So...why are the Dolphins releasing him? Didn't you go on a screed about how minimal the cap relief would be, and how nobody on their roster could replace him? Why is he available?

These are the questions non-casuals should be asking.
MJW

Postby Rocker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:07 pm

I’ll go on record as a “hell nah” to this idea.
Rocker

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:34 am

Cheb wrote:Just wait for him to get cut, then sign him if he fits.

I would think that there are better uses of our offseason resources than pandering to Mr Suh.

Suh is a patron saint here in Lincoln...but I'd tend to agree.

He's not a natural nose guard. He's an upfield guy, just like McCoy. He's not a great fit next to him. His best role would either be playing the 3T, with McCoy bouncing outside (which I'm sure GMC would not be thrilled about) or rotating with him. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'd rather sign Poe or Lotulelei to play next to McCoy, and bring back McDonald to rotate in at that spot. Then use the money not spent on Suh on Ziggy Ansah. That makes more sense to me.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:25 am

MJW wrote:

He's not a natural nose guard. He's an upfield guy, just like McCoy. He's not a great fit next to him. His best role would either be playing the 3T, with McCoy bouncing outside (which I'm sure GMC would not be thrilled about) or rotating with him. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'd rather sign Poe or Lotulelei to play next to McCoy, and bring back McDonald to rotate in at that spot. Then use the money not spent on Suh on Ziggy Ansah. That makes more sense to me.

I agree 100%
real bucs fan

Postby terrytate » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:18 am

MJW wrote:

I am inclined to agree, but if we wanted to push the envelope it might work well. Line Suh and McCoy up directly over the guards in a 2 tech, let them pick their own path around those guards. The center won't know which guy to double before the snap. Line up the LB's directly behind them so both can cover the A gap in case both DT's go to the B. Of course, if I am a coach and GM on the relative hotseat, I don't spend big money on a dirty player to test a gimmicky defense theory.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:21 am

terrytate wrote:
MJW wrote:

I am inclined to agree, but if we wanted to push the envelope it might work well. Line Suh and McCoy up directly over the guards in a 2 tech, let them pick their own path around those guards. The center won't know which guy to double before the snap. Line up the LB's directly behind them so both can cover the A gap in case both DT's go to the B. Of course, if I am a coach and GM on the relative hotseat, I don't spend big money on a dirty player to test a gimmicky defense theory.

It occurred to me also, but I figured if it was a good idea, Tony and Monte probably would have done it. We had the ideal talent for it and it seems like something they would have enjoyed trying. I just think it would be too easy for the defense to exploit our recklessness even with sound linebacker play behind it.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:55 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:I'd be for him coming here. Hell yes. Who would he be a headache for? Oh yea, the fans.

So...why are the Dolphins releasing him? Didn't you go on a screed about how minimal the cap relief would be, and how nobody on their roster could replace him? Why is he available?

These are the questions non-casuals should be asking.

That much is irrelevant and not what the OP is asking. Try to keep up, buddy. Reading may not be your thing(although chasing my phat D*** is), but the question is clearly hypothetical. Don't embarrass yourself.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:00 am

MJW wrote:

Contrary to popular belief a natural nose isn't a requirement for all 4-3 defenses to function. Also contrary to popular belief McCoy might be a UT in this defense however he does play and take on nose responsibilities at times. All that to say this. Your notion that McCoy and Suh wouldn't be great fits playing together is complete bullshit. Both guys skills set allows to them to play multiple DT roles. I know you think there are only 2 (3T & NT) but you'd be wrong, buddy.
Bootz2004

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:58 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

Contrary to popular belief a natural nose isn't a requirement for all 4-3 defenses to function. Also contrary to popular belief McCoy might be a UT in this defense however he does play and take on nose responsibilities at times. All that to say this. Your notion that McCoy and Suh wouldn't be great fits playing together is complete bullshit. Both guys skills set allows to them to play multiple DT roles. I know you think there are only 2 (3T & NT) but you'd be wrong, buddy.

yep, Culpepper wasn't the biggest guy and probably didn't fit the nose tackle mold but i would say he played great next to Sapp.They stunted often, switched gaps.. no problemo
Jason Bourne

Postby Caradoc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:59 am

There is no reason they couldn’t both be out the field together. None at all.
Caradoc

Postby Buc You » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:57 am

MJW wrote: I figured if it was a good idea, Tony and Monte probably would have done it.

That was their idea behind the Booger pick. Problem was he was in the tub more than on the field, so that idea of having two nasty up-field DTs never really materialized.
Buc You

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 am

Buc You wrote:
MJW wrote: I figured if it was a good idea, Tony and Monte probably would have done it.

That was their idea behind the Booger pick. Problem was he was in the tub more than on the field, so that idea of having two nasty up-field DTs never really materialized.

Except that it did materialize. At the peak it helped lead to one of the defensive units of all time in 2002..Not to mention the seasons prior where the defense was top notch.
Bootz2004

Postby Buc You » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:58 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Buc You wrote:That was their idea behind the Booger pick. Problem was he was in the tub more than on the field, so that idea of having two nasty up-field DTs never really materialized.

Except that it did materialize. At the peak it helped lead to one of the defensive units of all time in 2002..Not to mention the seasons prior where the defense was top notch.

Except Booger played only about half the season that year if you include Playoffs & the Super Bowl.
Buc You

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Buc You wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Except Booger played only about half the season that year if you include Playoffs & the Super Bowl.

Yes he only played 10 games that season. But you're ignoring those 10 games plus the 1999-2001 seasons as well. IIRC defense was top 5 all those seasons and we made the playoffs each year. It definitely materialized.
Bootz2004

Postby Hit55 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:03 pm

I would also argue that Suh has the strength to eat up blockers with ease like a NT is expected to as well. I haven't watched him much this last year and I know he can be a liability in run coverage, however. But right now, I'm just enjoying imagining a scenario with Spence, Suh, McCoy and either Ansah or Chubb on the line; it may not be as much about making sure we have a NT to eat up blocks for McCoy and/or stuffing running lanes anymore as much as it is who the offense is going to decide to try to double team. The chaos it can cause to an opposing offense is actually quite exciting to think about.

And it's been said before, but maybe his attitude is what this team needs to give em a nice kick in the ass. The last several seasons, this team has been way too buddy buddy with everyone and it seems losing is okay because no matter what, "there's always next week" or "there's always next year." The sad thing is there won't be many more "next years" for some of the key pieces we have in the near future.

Edit: if we don't go after him, I won't be upset. Actually, I'm with Cheb and would prefer to see us try if he's cut and if we can find a way to make him fit. But at the same time, I wouldn't mind seeing him paired with McCoy and seeing what could happen.
Hit55

Postby Buc You » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Buc You wrote:Except Booger played only about half the season that year if you include Playoffs & the Super Bowl.

Yes he only played 10 games that season. But you're ignoring those 10 games plus the 1999-2001 seasons as well. IIRC defense was top 5 all those seasons and we made the playoffs each year. It definitely materialized.

The defense as a whole was great(having 2 first Ballot HOFs and 2-3 more who could/should get in will generally do that), but Booger's part as a 2nd havoc wreaking DT never materialized. Partly because of his ability & partly because of his availability.
Buc You

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:48 pm

Hit55 wrote:I would also argue that Suh has the strength to eat up blockers with ease like a NT is expected to as well. I haven't watched him much this last year and I know he can be a liability in run coverage, however. But right now, I'm just enjoying imagining a scenario with Spence, Suh, McCoy and either Ansah or Chubb on the line; it may not be as much about making sure we have a NT to eat up blocks for McCoy and/or stuffing running lanes anymore as much as it is who the offense is going to decide to try to double team. The chaos it can cause to an opposing offense is actually quite exciting to think about.

And it's been said before, but maybe his attitude is what this team needs to give em a nice kick in the ass. The last several seasons, this team has been way too buddy buddy with everyone and it seems losing is okay because no matter what, "there's always next week" or "there's always next year." The sad thing is there won't be many more "next years" for some of the key pieces we have in the near future.

Edit: if we don't go after him, I won't be upset. Actually, I'm with Cheb and would prefer to see us try if he's cut and if we can find a way to make him fit. But at the same time, I wouldn't mind seeing him paired with McCoy and seeing what could happen.

FUUUUUAACK GIVE ME SUH, ANSAH, NORWELL AND CHUBB THIS OFFSEASON

beardmcdoug

Next

Return to Team Discussions