Bucs release Martin

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Bucs release Martin

Postby terrytate » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:25 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Word from Stroud is that Chris Baker is next and it will happen before the combine next week.

That would make McCoy the only DT left under contract. So as much as we talk about EDGE rushers in the draft talk, I think DT needs equal attention since we are definitely thinner at that DT than we are DE.

Ayers and Gholston both have contracts the Bucs could move away from without any dead cap penalty, but that would be quite the overhaul for a the Dline if only McCoy and Noah Spence returned (I don't count camp meat like Ryan Russell or Will Clarke that made the roster out of necessity).

That makes Clinton McDonald a higher priority. We only carried 5 DTs this year and we should have little trouble keeping 4 of them. I am not opposed to drafting another though. McCoy is based on explosiveness and is now hitting 30. We have to face the fact that McCoy is likely in his last few years of being elite.

Martin's release was truly a no brainer. I don't think One Big values Sims much either. I think they have their sights set on a couple of guys in the early mid rounds, hoping for another Kamara level success.
terrytate

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 pm

To be fair the contract structure part is handled more by Mike Greenberg than Dominik or Licht. Most NFL teams structure theirs deals that way these days tbh, Greenberg was just ahead of the curve.

I agree with picking the right players being what is important. Tbh, I don't even know how much Licht gets into the details of contract payouts since he doesn't strike me as much of a numbers guy.
DreadNaught

Postby Cheb » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:31 pm

I wish him the best in all his future endeavors. I hope he bounces back to some semblance of his prior form.

Good luck, Mr Martin. It was fun watching you play.
Cheb

Postby Super K » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 pm

Cheb wrote:I wish him the best in all his future endeavors. I hope he bounces back to some semblance of his prior form.

Good luck, Mr Martin. It was fun watching you play 2 out of the 6 years you were here.

FIFY...
Super K

Postby Truck-a-Saurus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:43 pm

Chris Baker

As far as Doug... so long. Wish it had gone better, you had the potential to be so much more. Thanks for the good times.
Truck-a-Saurus

Postby Super K » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:00 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Word from Stroud is that Chris Baker is next and it will happen before the combine next week.

That would make McCoy the only DT left under contract. So as much as we talk about EDGE rushers in the draft talk, I think DT needs equal attention since we are definitely thinner at that DT than we are DE.

Ayers and Gholston both have contracts the Bucs could move away from without any dead cap penalty, but that would be quite the overhaul for a the Dline if only McCoy and Noah Spence returned (I don't count camp meat like Ryan Russell or Will Clarke that made the roster out of necessity).

I hope Jason Licht isn't that stupid to cut ALL of those players. FA Dlinemen would demand more money to come here becaue they see the desperation and it would pigeon hole us in the draft.

Stevie T is also under contract but right now he's a level below the Will Clarkes and Ryan Russells of the world.

Your point is valid..hell, it's spot on..

But this DL NEEDS to be blown up...if we trot out Gholston, McDonald, GMac and (insert whomever you want at RE here) again next year expecting to have a pass rush I may have a damn stroke...

Either blow it up personnel wise, scheme wise or both (my choice)...

BUT, it has to be done intelligently so our feet aren't held to he fire as you said above..

I think hiring Buckner was a step in this direction....he's a BIG 3-4 guy...
Super K

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:26 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Hopefully he catches on somewhere.

and gets lots and lots of playoff experience and a couple of Super Bowl Rings --- LeGarrette Blount
Crocaneers

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:47 pm

pewterpirates

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:02 pm

I'm just glad we can finally move on. Should have happened last year, but better late than never.
real bucs fan

Postby Swashy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:07 pm

Don't let the door injure you on the way out Dougie.

****ing God it pisses me off to think we could've had Dalvin Cook instead
Swashy

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Image

First paragraph is so telling: 2nd contract=finanancial independence=no longer giving a ****.
Brazen331

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Brazen331 wrote:

First paragraph is so telling: 2nd contract=finanancial independence=no longer giving a ****.

Oh so you're one of those people who believe these guys play "for the love of the game" and would do it for free, huh?
Bootz2004

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:

Oh so you're one of those people who believe these guys play "for the love of the game" and would do it for free, huh?

No, you got the wrong guy. I’m not making any generalized, all-inclusive statement about players. I’m just talking about Martin.
Brazen331

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:24 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

No, you got the wrong guy. I’m not making any generalized, all-inclusive statement about players. I’m just talking about Martin.

Well your assessment of Martin applies to about 100% of NFL players.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Baker's fat ass is gone now too!!
Super K

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:11 pm

This makes me love Doug Martin even more. He left out Lovie Smith.

Good luck Doug.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Caradoc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:22 pm

BucaRican wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
It'd make more sense to just keep Sims on the cheap like RBF said. No guarantee we'd get Lewis, especially if New England wants him back, or Blount if Philly wants him back.

Sims would be my last option, I guess I should have said that. I think by cutting Martin it is clear a RB will be a priority this offseason. So I do not see sims returning.

You needed to see Martin cut to see that RB would be a priority?
Caradoc

Postby Caradoc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:24 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:

Good luck Doug.

Lovie wasn't here long enough for Doug to get to know him
Caradoc

Postby Cheb » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:26 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:

Good luck Doug.

I didn't notice that the first time.

God bless him.
Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:28 pm

Caradoc wrote:
IchabodCrane84 wrote:

Good luck Doug.

Neither were Schiano or Dom.
Bootz2004

Postby Noles1724 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Caradoc wrote:
IchabodCrane84 wrote:

Good luck Doug.

you realize you're ruining a joke right?

Edit: continued reading thread after posting.. joke ruined confirmed..
Noles1724

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:18 pm

Saw this coming but it's still bittersweet. He may not be what he was but I still think our trash oline is a bigger reason for Doug's struggles than Doug himself. Hopefully we find a quality replacement, going into the season with these RBs and aate rounder would be plain stupid.
Heisenberg

Postby BigIrv9 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:59 am

He’s about to go to New England and put up a pro bowl season.
BigIrv9

Postby MJW » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:06 am

Heisenberg wrote:Saw this coming but it's still bittersweet. He may not be what he was but I still think our trash oline is a bigger reason for Doug's struggles than Doug himself. Hopefully we find a quality replacement, going into the season with these RBs and aate rounder would be plain stupid.

I can buy that to a point, with that point being, "Rodgers looked better than him behind the same OL in 2016, and Barber looked better than him behind the same line in 2017."
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:25 am

As many times as I seen Martin run into the wall of aggression and survive physically I have to wonder how these lighter running backs are going to hold up.

Make a bad business deal go away and end up with a worse situation ------------ what more could you ask for...

Instead of finding someone like Yannick Ngakoue DE to help us on defense, now we get to look for whoever is left for a RB.

We dont get the job done because we take one step forward and the two steps backwards.

Every year.

I will be surprised if wherever he goes, the big runs dont resurface and then the value of what he was capable of is highlighted towards us in the usual negative way.

mdb - weve been studied.
mdb1958

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:23 am

MJW wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:Saw this coming but it's still bittersweet. He may not be what he was but I still think our trash oline is a bigger reason for Doug's struggles than Doug himself. Hopefully we find a quality replacement, going into the season with these RBs and aate rounder would be plain stupid.

I can buy that to a point, with that point being, "Rodgers looked better than him behind the same OL in 2016, and Barber looked better than him behind the same line in 2017."

They also aren't workhorses and have been career backups for a reason.. Everyone can look good in limited playtime. If barber was a full time starter dirk would have called a lot more negative plays for him too like that toss that cost us the game
Heisenberg

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:11 am

I have been doing my Sims getting two DT's usually, now I wonder which one we dont get to have. Which one of the two CB's we dont get to have. Which one of the two DE's we dont get to have.

No center means Marpet stays at center. No offensive line changes means we still cant run block.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:21 am

MJW wrote:

The run blocking hasn't been the problem, Martin just sucked. If we upgrade at LG, and put some real talent in that backfield we can be an elite running team and a dynamic offensive force. Our passing game is built on playaction but teams don't fear our run game. The moment you force teams to put that 8th man in the box, is the moment Winston becomes an elite QB.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:39 am

real bucs fan wrote:
MJW wrote:

The run blocking hasn't been the problem, Martin just sucked. If we upgrade at LG, and put some real talent in that backfield we can be an elite running team and a dynamic offensive force. Our passing game is built on playaction but teams don't fear our run game. The moment you force teams to put that 8th man in the box, is the moment Winston becomes an elite QB.

LOL! Oh man. I can't help but laugh and pat you on the head, buddy. Let me say this simply. As long as we continue to use 11 personnel as our base offense, Jameis will rarely, if ever see 8 man boxes. Probably won't see many 7 man boxes. Get with the times.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The run blocking hasn't been the problem, Martin just sucked. If we upgrade at LG, and put some real talent in that backfield we can be an elite running team and a dynamic offensive force. Our passing game is built on playaction but teams don't fear our run game. The moment you force teams to put that 8th man in the box, is the moment Winston becomes an elite QB.

LOL! Oh man. I can't help but laugh and pat you on the head, buddy. Let me say this simply. As long as we continue to use 11 personnel as our base offense, Jameis will rarely, if ever see 8 man boxes. Probably won't see many 7 man boxes. Get with the times.

You don't seem to understand how defensive adjustments work. You put a star RB behind an improved line, you pound the rock like you're the Dallas Cowboys, and you see defences key down to stop it. Then you see the pass game open up.
real bucs fan

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions