Jenna Laine

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Jenna Laine

Postby Caradoc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Does any team have a worse "beat writer" assigned to them by ESPN? She seems to be in her own level of suckage, but I honestly don't pay too much attention to ESPN so i can't say the rest aren't almost as bad. From the constant lame ass "tell me about your feelz" stories that seem to be her bread and butter, to stupid and often redundant and ignorant questions at pressers that even piss off the coaches, I really don't get why she has a job other than because she's female.

Sorry for the rant, if you're wondering what brought it on:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32 ... l-32-teams

Bold offseason predictions for all 32 NFL teams

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The Bucs will move on from running back Doug Martin

The two-time Pro Bowler was given a second chance after a four-game suspension and a stint in a drug rehab program in 2016, but he has averaged just 2.9 yards per carry the past two seasons, which doesn't warrant a $6.75 million salary for next year. The Bucs no longer owe him any guaranteed money and can move on with three years remaining on his contract without any penalty. -- Jenna Laine

Way to go out on a limb, Jenna.
Caradoc

Re: Jenna Laine

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Jenna's cool. I went to high school with her. She's a smart person and good at what she does. Don't hate.
Bootz2004

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:50 pm

I would bang
Jason Bourne

Postby Cheb » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:50 pm

It's not a bold prediction to us on this forum because we follow the team closely. What do you want her to say, exactly?
Cheb

Postby Teitan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:53 pm

She’s not good. But neither was the last guy they had on us.
Teitan

Postby The Outsider » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:11 pm

It could be worse.
The Outsider

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:29 pm

If she is bad at her job, but still employed it isn’t because she is a woman. Like someone else stated there are male beat writers who absolutely suck. Our last beat writer wasn’t any good either.

What do you want from a beat writer?
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:31 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:If she is bad at her job, but still employed it isn’t because she is a woman. Like someone else stated there are male beat writers who absolutely suck. Our last beat writer wasn’t any good either.

No one knows. It's just 1 of those things where since a few people said she's bad at her job others just go along with it.
Bootz2004

Postby Eastwood » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:45 pm

Never liked her. Don’t read her articles, or watch anything she’s associated with. She’s annoying AF.
Eastwood

Postby Selmon Rules » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Caradoc wrote:Does any team have a worse "beat writer" assigned to them by ESPN? She seems to be in her own level of suckage, but I honestly don't pay too much attention to ESPN so i can't say the rest aren't almost as bad. From the constant lame ass "tell me about your feelz" stories that seem to be her bread and butter, to stupid and often redundant and ignorant questions at pressers that even piss off the coaches, I really don't get why she has a job other than because she's female.

Sorry for the rant, if you're wondering what brought it on:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32 ... l-32-teams

Bold offseason predictions for all 32 NFL teams

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The Bucs will move on from running back Doug Martin

The two-time Pro Bowler was given a second chance after a four-game suspension and a stint in a drug rehab program in 2016, but he has averaged just 2.9 yards per carry the past two seasons, which doesn't warrant a $6.75 million salary for next year. The Bucs no longer owe him any guaranteed money and can move on with three years remaining on his contract without any penalty. -- Jenna Laine

Way to go out on a limb, Jenna.

Wait.... Move on from Martin??? Didn't see that coming....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Caradoc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:06 pm

Cheb wrote:It's not a bold prediction to us on this forum because we follow the team closely. What do you want her to say, exactly?

I don't think you need to follow the team closely to know that that is coming.
Caradoc

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:If she is bad at her job, but still employed it isn’t because she is a woman. Like someone else stated there are male beat writers who absolutely suck. Our last beat writer wasn’t any good either.

No one knows. It's just 1 of those things where since a few people said she's bad at her job others just go along with it.

I followed her on Twitter until she started going way over the top calling Jameis a rapist, repeatedly. I understand an average person reading that NY Times article and assuming he's guilty, I don't like it, but I understand. It was written for a northeastern audience as a hit piece on southern college football, casting it as a win at all costs system. It omitted many, many essential facts to slant the story to fit the writer's narrative. Jenna, as a journalist covering the Bucs, had a responsibility to read the police report before posting anything online. She didn't. She sacrificed any journalistic integrity she may have had with her vitriol and pure unwillingness to look at all of the information.

I'd love to see her lose her job, and it has nothing on planet Earth to do with her gender.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby Caradoc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:50 pm

I'd like a bit of knowledge about the sport. I'd like her to cover the actual games/team rather than seeming to only want the "human interest" (AKA "teh feelz") stories. I'd like some thoughtful takes rather than "captain obvious" stories. I'd like to not cringe every time I hear another stupid question asked by her at a presser.

What it comes down to, is I'd like a reason to actually look for her stuff to read online rather than feeling like I've been Rickrolled whenever someone sneaks in a quote from her.
Caradoc

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:14 am

I Are Serious Poster wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I followed her on Twitter until she started going way over the top calling Jameis a rapist, repeatedly. I understand an average person reading that NY Times article and assuming he's guilty, I don't like it, but I understand. It was written for a northeastern audience as a hit piece on southern college football, casting it as a win at all costs system. It omitted many, many essential facts to slant the story to fit the writer's narrative. Jenna, as a journalist covering the Bucs, had a responsibility to read the police report before posting anything online. She didn't. She sacrificed any journalistic integrity she may have had with her vitriol and pure unwillingness to look at all of the information.

I'd love to see her lose her job, and it has nothing on planet Earth to do with her gender.

Wha??? I follow Jenna on twitter, follow all the bucs newspeople, and never saw here say anything like that.
real bucs fan

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:58 am

Caradoc wrote:

I'd like a bit of knowledge about the sport. I'd like her to cover the actual games/team rather than seeming to only want the "human interest" (AKA "teh feelz") stories. I'd like some thoughtful takes rather than "captain obvious" stories. I'd like to not cringe every time I hear another stupid question asked by her at a presser.

What it comes down to, is I'd like a reason to actually look for her stuff to read online rather than feeling like I've been Rickrolled whenever someone sneaks in a quote from her.

I follow a few teams on BR so I see their beat writers regularly. Jenna seems par for the course. Beat writers don’t break new ground especially in the offseason. They’re largely fluff writers imo. Jenna isn’t great, but you expect too much from a beat writer.
PrimeMinister

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:47 am

Caradoc out to get someone unemployed. While I hate ESPN insider bull crap - I never think about taking away someones pay check. Caradoc on a wonderful road and life's good.
mdb1958

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:49 am

real bucs fan wrote:

Wha??? I follow Jenna on twitter, follow all the bucs newspeople, and never saw here say anything like that.

This was back in December of 2013; I unfollowed her at the time, so I have no idea if she kept on leading up closer to the drafting of Jameis, or how she resolved to keep covering a team that she feels drafted a certain rapist.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:21 am

100% agree with Caradoc - she's not good. Without fail, I'll be watching a press conference with Dirk or Jason, it'll be question time, there will be a couple solid questions, then comes Jenna, either repeating somebody else's question, as if she just had 1 question written down and has no ability to think on the fly and come up with something new to ask, or she goes to some sort of odd ball speculative "feels" question. It's cringe worthy 100% of the time she asks a question.
beardmcdoug

Postby Teitan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:29 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Or people just form their own opinions. I think she writes kinda basic, obvious things most of the time. And she always seems to be a day or so behind when “news” breaks.
Teitan

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:51 am

I think Jenna does good. I'd like her better if she didn't work for MSESPN.

She puts in the effort, and isn't afraid to ask the uncomfortable questions.

But I do agree with BMD in that she can look silly in presser at times. But that is ok, those occurances will be less frequent with experience.

She is way better than the last guy that covered the Bucs for MSESPN, Pat Yasinkias (sp?). That guy was a lazy hack.
DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:57 am

DreadNaught wrote:I think Jenna does good. I'd like her better if she didn't work for MSESPN.

She puts in the effort, and isn't afraid to ask the uncomfortable questions.

But I do agree with BMD in that she can look silly in presser at times. But that is ok, those occurances will be less frequent with experience.

She is way better than the last guy that covered the Bucs for MSESPN, Pat Yasinkias (sp?). That guy was a lazy hack.

oh man hahaha yeah he was I forgot about that guy
beardmcdoug

Postby MJW » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:11 am

I was thinking that her, "Bold Prediction" was ridiculous and I noticed somebody instantly called her on it on twitter, as they should have.

I don't have a problem with Jenna. I think if you're looking for sports reporting brilliance, you ain't going to find it with many ESPN Blurbologists.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:39 am

real bucs fan wrote:Wha??? I follow Jenna on twitter, follow all the bucs newspeople, and never saw here say anything like that.

This was back in December of 2013; I unfollowed her at the time, so I have no idea if she kept on leading up closer to the drafting of Jameis, or how she resolved to keep covering a team that she feels drafted a certain rapist.

Ahh okay, I only started following her once she replaced Pat Yasiwanka or whatever his name was. Man was that guy lame. Never knew Jenna made her name Jameis bashing, no wonder Koetter gives her such a hard time.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:40 am

MJW wrote:I was thinking that her, "Bold Prediction" was ridiculous and I noticed somebody instantly called her on it on twitter, as they should have.

I don't have a problem with Jenna. I think if you're looking for sports reporting brilliance, you ain't going to find it with many ESPN Blurbologists.

Agreed, ESPN has been terrible for years now. If they didn't have such powerful brand recognition noone would even be paying attention to them anymore.
real bucs fan

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:54 am

real bucs fan wrote:
MJW wrote:I was thinking that her, "Bold Prediction" was ridiculous and I noticed somebody instantly called her on it on twitter, as they should have.

Agreed, ESPN has been terrible for years now. If they didn't have such powerful brand recognition noone would even be paying attention to them anymore.

I've never seen a company less in tune with the wants of their customer base....and that's saying something as there are some real shitty companies out there
Zarniwoop

Return to Team Discussions