Revis Released

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Revis Released

Postby Hit55 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:40 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Revis is one of the best to ever play his position. That’s a 1st ballot HOFer.

...and not to mention, to reiterate: he was so at a time where passing became the standard. QBs throwing for 3,500-4,000 yards is now an expectation.
Hit55

Postby Caradoc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Revis will get in. If not for any other reason, everyone will love reading how some idiot team traded a first round pick for the privilege of paying him $16 million a year in the twilight of his career coming off of a serious injury.

I still can't believe how many supposedly knowledgeable fans thought that was a great move.
Caradoc

Postby Cheb » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Caradoc wrote:Revis will get in. If not for any other reason, everyone will love reading how some idiot team traded a first round pick for the privilege of paying him $16 million a year in the twilight of his career coming off of a serious injury.

I still can't believe how many supposedly knowledgeable fans thought that was a great move.

I disagreed with the initial move, but trading for Revis in and of itself wasn't a horrible decision. What was horrible is that we threw away a first round selection for a one-year rental. We cut him when we didn't need the cap space. After we cut him, Revis made First team All-Pro, two Pro Bowls, and won a Super Bowl. Then again, we have a disturbing habit of releasing players who go on to great success elsewhere.

But really, this franchise sucks at keeping talent. We let Revis walk for nothing, and he returns to form. We let Michael Bennett walk for nothing, he wins a Superbowl, barely loses another, and makes three straight Pro Bowls. We trade Aqib Talib and LeGarrette Blount to the Patriots in successive seasons for two sacks of magic beans; they combine for four Superbowl wins.

The way we deal with personnel is criminal.
Cheb

Postby Caradoc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:10 pm

Cheb wrote:
Caradoc wrote:Revis will get in. If not for any other reason, everyone will love reading how some idiot team traded a first round pick for the privilege of paying him $16 million a year in the twilight of his career coming off of a serious injury.

I disagreed with the initial move, but trading for Revis in and of itself wasn't a horrible decision. What was horrible is that we threw away a first round selection for a one-year rental. We cut him when we didn't need the cap space. After we cut him, Revis made First team All-Pro, two Pro Bowls, and won a Super Bowl. Then again, we have a disturbing habit of releasing players who go on to great success elsewhere.

But really, this franchise sucks at keeping talent. We let Revis walk for nothing, and he returns to form. We let Michael Bennett walk for nothing, he wins a Superbowl, barely loses another, and makes three straight Pro Bowls. We trade Aqib Talib and LeGarrette Blount to the Patriots in successive seasons for two sacks of magic beans; they combine for four Superbowl wins.

Yep. Someone should post that in the great Brate thread.

But the move for Revis was idiotic, I was opposed before it as well as after. You don't trade that capital, along with that salary, for a corner. Especially one on the downside of his career. Not to mention the gamble on the injury. Or the myriad other team issues we had then.
Caradoc

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:33 pm

Why did we release him? I don’t remember what the reasoning was at the time.
PrimeMinister

Postby Caradoc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:56 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Why did we release him? I don’t remember what the reasoning was at the time.

money
Caradoc

Postby Mod I » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:36 am

Caradoc wrote:
Cheb wrote:

But the move for Revis was idiotic, I was opposed before it as well as after. You don't trade that capital, along with that salary, for a corner. Especially one on the downside of his career. Not to mention the gamble on the injury. Or the myriad other team issues we had then.

I sent John Spytek a warning.
Mod I

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:42 am

Wow! I can see I was still right. After he was gifted a superbowl, his last three years were truly special. It was so special to be a part of his legacy.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:20 am

Caradoc wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:Why did we release him? I don’t remember what the reasoning was at the time.

money

$16 mil APY for a man corner in the T2 didn't make a lot of sense.

Also, by releasing him, instead of sending a 2014 3rd rounder to the Jets, we sent a 4th rounder instead.

That said, I really wish we'd had the kind of coach who could have incorporated someone as talented as Revis into his scheme. I guarantee you that a better coach is excited to try. Lovie just shrugged. That's why Lovie is coaching the 3rd best college team in Illinois right now.
MJW

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:31 am

The Bucs traded a 1st and 4th round pick to rent Revis for 1 season (following ACL surgery) while paying him $16m that season. That was back in 2013 and despite the salary cap increasing substantially since then NO other NFL CB has received a contract more than $15m (Norman) since.

Despite overpaying for Revis, I was fine trading for him. He was still a great player in '13-'15 before his play started to noticeable deteriorate a couple years ago.

But cutting him after one season was just terrible business/management of resources and typical of franchises that pick in top half of the draft every year.
DreadNaught

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:43 am

Mod I wrote:
Caradoc wrote:

I sent John Spytek a warning.

Bucs director of player personel ... had to google it . :lol:
Jason Bourne

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:04 am

Cheb wrote:

Bingo.
Trading for one of the greatest CB in history, while he can still play, is not a bad move. Especially when you had the crater at the position that we did.

I'd like to follow up our personnel decisions with our coaching decisions, they go hand in hand. It seemed like the moment a coach even got close to having a roster that fit his system in place he was gone and we have a completely new system to build for.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:10 am

Doctor wrote:
Cheb wrote:

Bingo.
Trading for one of the greatest CB in history, while he can still play, is not a bad move. Especially when you had the crater at the position that we did.

I'd like to follow up our personnel decisions with our coaching decisions, they go hand in hand. It seemed like the moment a coach even got close to having a roster that fit his system in place he was gone and we have a completely new system to build for.

This was and remains the most compelling reason for not giving up on Koetter/Monken/Smith after this past season - that they should be given a chance to compete with a roster tailored to what they like to do. It's a reasonable take, though I don't think it'll matter in the end.

I think there's an aside with Lovie: The T2 is dead. Rod Marinelli is running things in Dallas, as we know. I watched a few of their games on replay not long ago and even they don't run it much anymore. There was much more Cover Three. My point is, the league has moved on past the scheme. Lovie didn't seem to want to adapt. It was a problem.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:28 am

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:Bingo.

This was and remains the most compelling reason for not giving up on Koetter/Monken/Smith after this past season - that they should be given a chance to compete with a roster tailored to what they like to do. It's a reasonable take, though I don't think it'll matter in the end.

I think there's an aside with Lovie: The T2 is dead. Rod Marinelli is running things in Dallas, as we know. I watched a few of their games on replay not long ago and even they don't run it much anymore. There was much more Cover Three. My point is, the league has moved on past the scheme. Lovie didn't seem to want to adapt. It was a problem.

Lovie's issue was that the T2 lives and dies based off of a front four pass rush. Lovie thought he had it, I mean look at everything invested into the pass rush- Clayborn, Akeem Spence, Bowers, Michael Johnson, Henry Melton, Larry English... none of it worked. He could have scapegoated Leslie Fraizer, but he refused to and it got him canned. I still think the T2 can work in the NFL, but you need to have such an insanely talented front 4 it's unlikely we'll ever see it again.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:41 am

Oh Christ. People are again back to this false idea that Lovie ran T2 here when in fact he didn't.
Bootz2004

Postby Caradoc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:05 pm

Doctor wrote:
MJW wrote:

Lovie's issue was that the T2 lives and dies based off of a front four pass rush. Lovie thought he had it, I mean look at everything invested into the pass rush- Clayborn, Akeem Spence, Bowers, Michael Johnson, Henry Melton, Larry English... none of it worked. He could have scapegoated Leslie Fraizer, but he refused to and it got him canned. I still think the T2 can work in the NFL, but you need to have such an insanely talented front 4 it's unlikely we'll ever see it again.

Lovie was NOT running a T2 when he returned here any more than anyone else does - it's one of many looks defenses give.
"Scapegoating Frazier" wouldn't have saved him, as he DID essentially scapegoat him after year one by taking back the playcalling.
Caradoc

Previous

Return to Team Discussions