A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
post

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Doctor » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:59 pm

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:You were wrong then and you're wrong now.


I'm curious what information emerged in 2017 to attest to my wrongness.

The same that was there before that made you wrong. And the RBBC is BS, and the workhorse RB is back in true colors. See how backs like Bell and Kamara are carrying their teams and if you have to draft high to get one, like Gurley, Elliot, Fournette, it's totally worth it. Teams that keep thinking they can just do a RBBC end up like the Seahawks and Jets. Like any other position you can find "good ones" later, but if your odds are higher the earlier you draft and getting a great RB is totally a position worth securing. Holding out because you think you're going to find the next great RB on day 3 is a half step above holding out for the next great 6th round HOF QB.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 5347
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Rocker » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:43 pm

Seems to me a team without a bellcow running back just celebrated a Super Bowl victory; but I’m sure that’s a totally subjective outlier that has nothing at all to do with anything being discussed. Purely tangential, and whatnot.
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 4061
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Upper deck of the Old Sombrero
Has thanked: 233 times
Been thanked: 220 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Doctor wrote:
MJW wrote:
I'm curious what information emerged in 2017 to attest to my wrongness.

The same that was there before that made you wrong. And the RBBC is BS, and the workhorse RB is back in true colors. See how backs like Bell and Kamara are carrying their teams and if you have to draft high to get one, like Gurley, Elliot, Fournette, it's totally worth it. Teams that keep thinking they can just do a RBBC end up like the Seahawks and Jets. Like any other position you can find "good ones" later, but if your odds are higher the earlier you draft and getting a great RB is totally a position worth securing. Holding out because you think you're going to find the next great RB on day 3 is a half step above holding out for the next great 6th round HOF QB.


So much misinformation.

RBBC is BS? Have you watched much football since Emmitt Smith left Dallas? Leonard Fournette, your ultimate bell-cow, accounted for 57% of the teams running back carries last year. Alvin Kamrara took 32% of the Saints handoffs to running backs. Le'Veon Bell led the league in the percentage of carries he took for his team, but it was still only 81%.

In other words, every team in the league uses RBBC. A lot. Bell is a huge outlier, but 1 out of every 5 carries still went to someone else. Most other teams, 2 or 3 carries out of every 5 went to someone other than that team's yardage leader.

Point two is that next to kicker, there is literally no other position in the NFL it's easy to find starting caliber players at late than running back. It's great you mentioned Tom Brady, the 6th round quarterback, because THAT'S how rare it is to find a great one of them after day two of the draft. If you like, I'll rattle off a list of thirty very good-to-hall of fame running backs drafted on Day Three (or undrafted) since Brady. You can list the quarterbacks, or the linebackers, or any other position you wish. My list will be longer.

Oh, and the Jets and Seahawks? You made my point for me friend. They can't run because they can't block. When the Seahawks were blocking two years ago, Thomas Rawls averaged 5.6 yards per carry to lead the team in rushing. When the Jets could run block two years ago, the legendary Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell combined to rush for 317-1383-4.4.

You want to fix the run game, you fix the run blocking. You want to have someone cool to draft in the first round of your fantasy league, you hope your team drafts a running back high.

So what else you got?
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 9039
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 212 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Rocker wrote:Seems to me a team without a bellcow running back just celebrated a Super Bowl victory; but I’m sure that’s a totally subjective outlier that has nothing at all to do with anything being discussed. Purely tangential, and whatnot.


Just because the Patriots, Eagles, Panthers, Falcons, and Broncos have all been in the Superbowl in the last 4 years using RBBC doesn't mean anything.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 9039
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 212 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Previous

post

Return to Team Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: .irishHITMAN4rent, Agent Orange, Cheb, Digital_Damage, GeeseAreAggressive, IronDog, MikeC, Naismith, Nano, nhbucsfan, PrimeMinister, Rocker, Snake, terrytate, The Outsider, UbuntuBuc, viva la Reagan and 49 guests