A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
post

A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:59 am

Eagles had 21 players on their team that they drafted. Patriots had even less with 19.

Merely looking over these teams offenses would make a "build through the draft" fanatic's head explode. While we're at it, we had a game with over 1000 yards of offense and a single sack, so tell me about how defense wins championships?

At the end of the day, FA, draft, offense, defense, franchise QB, back up QB, there are clearly many ways to get it done.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 4451
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Cheb » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:06 am

Doctor wrote:Eagles had 21 players on their team that they drafted. Patriots had even less with 19.

Merely looking over these teams offenses would make a "build through the draft" fanatic's head explode. While we're at it, we had a game with over 1000 yards of offense and a single sack, so tell me about how defense wins championships?

At the end of the day, FA, draft, offense, defense, franchise QB, back up QB, there are clearly many ways to get it done.


The game deciding play was that sack-strip. If anything, I think it argues strongly that yes, even in shootouts, defense wins championships.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 2996
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 237 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:13 am

Cheb wrote:
Doctor wrote:Eagles had 21 players on their team that they drafted. Patriots had even less with 19.

Merely looking over these teams offenses would make a "build through the draft" fanatic's head explode. While we're at it, we had a game with over 1000 yards of offense and a single sack, so tell me about how defense wins championships?

At the end of the day, FA, draft, offense, defense, franchise QB, back up QB, there are clearly many ways to get it done.


The game deciding play was that sack-strip. If anything, I think it argues strongly that yes, even in shootouts, defense wins championships.


this Defense wins
Jason Bourne
 
Posts: 2983
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:47 am
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby SIBucsFan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:27 am

They are many ways to built a great team. Ideally you build your team's foundation on drafted players and add in missing pieces via free-agency because of salary cap constraints and familiarity with the organization, building your team as a cohesive unit over multiple seasons, etc. but it doesn't always work that way.

Defense is an increasingly important part of the game. More and more offenses will have the ability to score at-will; it will be the teams that can prevent that from happening in the end that will many times be the deciding factor, like last night.
User avatar
SIBucsFan
 
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:40 am
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby NYBF » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:29 am

Doctor wrote:Eagles had 21 players on their team that they drafted. Patriots had even less with 19.



Any idea how these numbers stack up against the rest of the league?
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 4528
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 170 times
Been thanked: 383 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby SIBucsFan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:37 am

NYBF wrote:
Doctor wrote:Eagles had 21 players on their team that they drafted. Patriots had even less with 19.



Any idea how these numbers stack up against the rest of the league?



I'll break down the players that got snaps in Week 17 for Tampa Bay:

Drafted players: 15
Undrafted players: 10
Free-agent acquisitions: 20
User avatar
SIBucsFan
 
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:40 am
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Super K » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:42 am

SIBucsFan wrote:
NYBF wrote:
Any idea how these numbers stack up against the rest of the league?



I'll break down the players that got snaps in Week 17 for Tampa Bay:

Drafted players: 15
Undrafted players: 10
Free-agent acquisitions: 20


Drafted by us? Or just drafted?...

Because wouldn't undrafted players already be counted in the FA number?
Super K
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 151 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 am

Cheb wrote:
Doctor wrote:Eagles had 21 players on their team that they drafted. Patriots had even less with 19.

Merely looking over these teams offenses would make a "build through the draft" fanatic's head explode. While we're at it, we had a game with over 1000 yards of offense and a single sack, so tell me about how defense wins championships?

At the end of the day, FA, draft, offense, defense, franchise QB, back up QB, there are clearly many ways to get it done.


The game deciding play was that sack-strip. If anything, I think it argues strongly that yes, even in shootouts, defense wins championships.

By that logic, **** offense and defense- Special Teams win championships. Take a kicker in the first!
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 4451
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Cheb » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:19 pm

Doctor wrote:
Cheb wrote:
The game deciding play was that sack-strip. If anything, I think it argues strongly that yes, even in shootouts, defense wins championships.

By that logic, **** offense and defense- Special Teams win championships. Take a kicker in the first!


Your talent for hyperbole is approaching Bootzian levels.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 2996
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 237 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby SIBucsFan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Super K wrote:
SIBucsFan wrote:

I'll break down the players that got snaps in Week 17 for Tampa Bay:

Drafted players: 15
Undrafted players: 10
Free-agent acquisitions: 20


Drafted by us? Or just drafted?...

Because wouldn't undrafted players already be counted in the FA number?



Drafted players = drafted by us

Undrafted players = signed directly by us as an undrafted free-agent

Free-agent acquisitions = signed after being with another team at any point before coming to Tampa Bay


I wanted to separate the undrafted players directly signed by us from free-agent acquisitions as those are two distinctly different acquisitions in my opinion.
User avatar
SIBucsFan
 
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:40 am
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Super K » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:36 pm

SIBucsFan wrote:
Super K wrote:
Drafted by us? Or just drafted?...

Because wouldn't undrafted players already be counted in the FA number?



Drafted players = drafted by us

Undrafted players = signed directly by us as an undrafted free-agent

Free-agent acquisitions = signed after being with another team at any point before coming to Tampa Bay


I wanted to separate the undrafted players directly signed by us from free-agent acquisitions as those are two distinctly different acquisitions in my opinion.


Ok, understood..

Appreciate the clarification...
Super K
 
Posts: 5680
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 151 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Cheb wrote:
Doctor wrote:Eagles had 21 players on their team that they drafted. Patriots had even less with 19.

Merely looking over these teams offenses would make a "build through the draft" fanatic's head explode. While we're at it, we had a game with over 1000 yards of offense and a single sack, so tell me about how defense wins championships?

At the end of the day, FA, draft, offense, defense, franchise QB, back up QB, there are clearly many ways to get it done.


The game deciding play was that sack-strip. If anything, I think it argues strongly that yes, even in shootouts, defense wins championships.


This 100%.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 20195
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 405 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Doctor wrote:Eagles had 21 players on their team that they drafted. Patriots had even less with 19.

Merely looking over these teams offenses would make a "build through the draft" fanatic's head explode. While we're at it, we had a game with over 1000 yards of offense and a single sack, so tell me about how defense wins championships?

At the end of the day, FA, draft, offense, defense, franchise QB, back up QB, there are clearly many ways to get it done.


How many of those free agents were on offense and how many were on defense?
mdb1958
 
Posts: 7849
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:47 pm

Cheb wrote:
Doctor wrote:By that logic, **** offense and defense- Special Teams win championships. Take a kicker in the first!


Your talent for hyperbole is approaching Bootzian levels.

As is your if you are using "well the 'game winning play' was on defense so defense wins champions" after a pathetic defensive showing in a shoot out. Like really? Really? There's a reason the "game winning play" isn't what's used to decide what wins championships, because if you were dumb enough to do that you'd end up with Special Teams.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 4451
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby MJW » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:24 am

One play never "wins the game" for a team.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 7303
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 167 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby ComingThisFall » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 am

Eagles were the best in the league at 4th down conversions. I’m going to say coaching and execution were the difference
Image
ComingThisFall
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:54 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Naismith » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:44 am

ComingThisFall wrote:Eagles were the best in the league at 4th down conversions. I’m going to say coaching and execution were the difference


This is also the sign of a franchise with a strong belief in analytics.
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Sammich » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:40 pm

Naismith wrote:
ComingThisFall wrote:Eagles were the best in the league at 4th down conversions. I’m going to say coaching and execution were the difference


This is also the sign of a franchise with a strong belief in analytics.


And a good oline.
Sammich
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby MJW » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:29 am

The weirdest thing about the Eagles is how they were able to run the ball no matter who was in the game. It's almost like if you have a great line, you'll be able to run the ball. Ajayi, Blount, Clement, Smallwood - they were all able to produce.

So, about this idea we should fix our running game by drafting a running back at #7...
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 7303
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 167 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Buc2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:21 am

MJW wrote:The weirdest thing about the Eagles is how they were able to run the ball no matter who was in the game. It's almost like if you have a great line, you'll be able to run the ball. Ajayi, Blount, Clement, Smallwood - they were all able to produce.

So, about this idea we should fix our running game by drafting a running back at #7...

You'll get no argument from me. I've been a champion of fixing the OL over drafting a high round RB since before we drafted Winston. I was one that was hoping we'd trade down in the Winston draft and reap picks that could possibly have been used to build up both the OL and the DL. I'd like to see a trade down this draft if it could net a team's 2nd this year and their 1st next year. I get that OL isn't the sexy pick, but I'm damned envious of the teams that have really good OL's. Eagles. Rams. Steelers. Saints (yes...the f'n Saints!). Cowboys. Others??
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 8394
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 744 times
Been thanked: 266 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby MJW » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:26 am

Buc2 wrote:
MJW wrote:The weirdest thing about the Eagles is how they were able to run the ball no matter who was in the game. It's almost like if you have a great line, you'll be able to run the ball. Ajayi, Blount, Clement, Smallwood - they were all able to produce.

So, about this idea we should fix our running game by drafting a running back at #7...

You'll get no argument from me. I've been a champion of fixing the OL over drafting a high round RB since before we drafted Winston. I was one that was hoping we'd trade down in the Winston draft and reap picks that could possibly have been used to build up both the OL and the DL. I'd like to see a trade down this draft if it could net a team's 2nd this year and their 1st next year. I get that OL isn't the sexy pick, but I'm damned envious of the teams that have really good OL's. Eagles. Rams. Steelers. Saints (yes...the f'n Saints!). Cowboys. Others??


This is why, even though I have (unrelated) misgivings about a guard at #7, I'll be fine with it three seconds after the pick. Gotta build that line!
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 7303
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 167 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Rocker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:02 am

There's a reason why "building from the inside out" and "games are won or lost in the trenches" are such cliched sayings.

*Sighs from a three point stance*
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 2687
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Valrico
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Sammich » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:03 am

MJW wrote:
Buc2 wrote:You'll get no argument from me. I've been a champion of fixing the OL over drafting a high round RB since before we drafted Winston. I was one that was hoping we'd trade down in the Winston draft and reap picks that could possibly have been used to build up both the OL and the DL. I'd like to see a trade down this draft if it could net a team's 2nd this year and their 1st next year. I get that OL isn't the sexy pick, but I'm damned envious of the teams that have really good OL's. Eagles. Rams. Steelers. Saints (yes...the f'n Saints!). Cowboys. Others??


This is why, even though I have (unrelated) misgivings about a guard at #7, I'll be fine with it three seconds after the pick. Gotta build that line!


Yup. I've said it a million times- if you have a good QB, a good oline, and a good dline you're going to win a lot of games.
Sammich
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Doctor » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:48 am

MJW wrote:The weirdest thing about the Eagles is how they were able to run the ball no matter who was in the game. It's almost like if you have a great line, you'll be able to run the ball. Ajayi, Blount, Clement, Smallwood - they were all able to produce.

So, about this idea we should fix our running game by drafting a running back at #7...

I'm all for taking Nelson at 7 over Barkley. But in the event that Nelson and Fitz are gone, Barkley is the next BPA. To deny Barkley 7 just because you build from the inside out is ridiculous.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 4451
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:33 am

Doctor wrote:
MJW wrote:The weirdest thing about the Eagles is how they were able to run the ball no matter who was in the game. It's almost like if you have a great line, you'll be able to run the ball. Ajayi, Blount, Clement, Smallwood - they were all able to produce.

So, about this idea we should fix our running game by drafting a running back at #7...

I'm all for taking Nelson at 7 over Barkley. But in the event that Nelson and Fitz are gone, Barkley is the next BPA. To deny Barkley 7 just because you build from the inside out is ridiculous.


Please re-visit last year's debate with RBF about the problems with drafting a running back high. I don't feel like re-posting it all.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 7303
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 167 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Rocker » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:23 am

Doctor wrote:
MJW wrote:The weirdest thing about the Eagles is how they were able to run the ball no matter who was in the game. It's almost like if you have a great line, you'll be able to run the ball. Ajayi, Blount, Clement, Smallwood - they were all able to produce.

So, about this idea we should fix our running game by drafting a running back at #7...

I'm all for taking Nelson at 7 over Barkley. But in the event that Nelson and Fitz are gone, Barkley is the next BPA. To deny Barkley 7 just because you build from the inside out is ridiculous.


If Barkley is there at seven, I’d trade down.

Not because I hate high picking a RB; but because we ARE that bad in the trenches; and there’s a few guys in the 25-40 range that would do more to improve the team than a running back would.

Look at the playoff teams this year for evidence of what strong line play gets you.
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 2687
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Valrico
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Buc2 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:35 am

Rocker wrote:
Doctor wrote:I'm all for taking Nelson at 7 over Barkley. But in the event that Nelson and Fitz are gone, Barkley is the next BPA. To deny Barkley 7 just because you build from the inside out is ridiculous.


If Barkley is there at seven, I’d trade down.

Not because I hate high picking a RB; but because we ARE that bad in the trenches; and there’s a few guys in the 25-40 range that would do more to improve the team than a running back would.

Look at the playoff teams this year for evidence of what strong line play gets you.


DING! DING! DING! We have a winner. Of course, that would obviously depend on what the trade offer was. Imo, anything less than swapping this year's 1st + acquiring their 2nd and their 2018 #1, no deal. Then you take your chances at #7 overall (still not Barkley though) and move on.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 8394
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 744 times
Been thanked: 266 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby MJW » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:17 am

Rocker wrote:
Doctor wrote:I'm all for taking Nelson at 7 over Barkley. But in the event that Nelson and Fitz are gone, Barkley is the next BPA. To deny Barkley 7 just because you build from the inside out is ridiculous.


If Barkley is there at seven, I’d trade down.

Not because I hate high picking a RB; but because we ARE that bad in the trenches; and there’s a few guys in the 25-40 range that would do more to improve the team than a running back would.

Look at the playoff teams this year for evidence of what strong line play gets you.


YAS.

Especially in this draft, where there are a bunch of a really good OL prospects who'll go in the mid-late first and early 2nd.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 7303
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 167 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:33 am

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:I'm all for taking Nelson at 7 over Barkley. But in the event that Nelson and Fitz are gone, Barkley is the next BPA. To deny Barkley 7 just because you build from the inside out is ridiculous.


Please re-visit last year's debate with RBF about the problems with drafting a running back high. I don't feel like re-posting it all.

You were wrong then and you're wrong now.

Rocker wrote:
Doctor wrote:I'm all for taking Nelson at 7 over Barkley. But in the event that Nelson and Fitz are gone, Barkley is the next BPA. To deny Barkley 7 just because you build from the inside out is ridiculous.


If Barkley is there at seven, I’d trade down.

Not because I hate high picking a RB; but because we ARE that bad in the trenches; and there’s a few guys in the 25-40 range that would do more to improve the team than a running back would.

Look at the playoff teams this year for evidence of what strong line play gets you.


Which is great that we pick again before 40 then. And in case you missed it this offense was one dimensional and anaemic all year around. There were undoubtedly better positions that would have helped the Rams, Jaguars and Cowboys more than RB too, but I doubt anyone in either franchise would undo their picks.
Yeah, I'm would be very upset if we Steven Jackson this draft all over again.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 4451
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: A SuperBowl built on Free Agency

Postby MJW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:12 am

Doctor wrote:You were wrong then and you're wrong now.


I'm curious what information emerged in 2017 to attest to my wrongness.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 7303
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 167 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Next

post

Return to Team Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bootz2004, Caradoc, Deja Entendu, Hatter, IchabodCrane84, Konatown, Milehighcreamsicle and 30 guests