One Word: MOCKSEASON, Or Possibly Two Words: MOCK SEASON

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
One Word: MOCKSEASON, Or Possibly Two Words: MOCK SEASON

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:12 am

MOCKSEASON

Part One: Our Free Agents

UFAs To Resign:

DT Clinton McDonald (1 Year, $4-5 Million)
McDonald is still a valuable contributor, notching 5 sacks as a part-timer last year. We need to get younger at the position, but we're a worse team without McDonald, and the price is reasonable.

LS Garrison Sanborn (Who Cares)
Sanborn did a good job, inasmuch as I didn't know who he was until right now.

CB Robert McClain (1 Year, $1 Million)
We could do worse as a potential 4th/5th corner and special teamer.

UFA's To Let Walk:

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
Okay, Ryan Griffin, time for your big boy pants.

CB Brent Grimes
I have bigger plans at the position, as you'll see soon.

SS TJ Ward
I guess we know why the Broncos released him.

C Evan Smith
The Packers passed him around in that game like Clay Aiken in a Supermax.

FS Keith Tandy
He's clearly out of favor with this regime. So it goes.

RB Charles Sims
See “Keith Tandy.”

G Kevin Pamphile
I wouldn't be averse to bringing him back as the 3rd guard, but I also wouldn't really try to.

K Nick Folk, DT Sealver Silga, DE Justin Trattou, G Adam Gettis, DE Will Clarke
Bye fellas.

RFAs and EFRAs To Tender:

OLB Adarius Glanton (Low)
TE Cameron Brate (1st Round)
WR Adam Humphries (2nd Round)
DE Ryan Russell (Low)
RB Peyton Barber
K Patrick Murray
CB Javien Elliott

So, everybody, because why not?

Part Two: The Trades

COWBOYS Acquire TE Cameron Brate
BUCCANEERS Acquire DE David Irving

I see this as an absolute win-win. The Cowboys need more weapons and easy completions for Dak Prescott, and they need an heir to Jason Witten, who is likely in his final year. On the flipside, they're about to give DeMarcus Lawrence a huge contract, and they drafted Taco Charleton last year. They're not going to pay Irving. We're not going to pay Brate. Both fill bigger needs for their new teams than their current teams.

David Irving, you'll remember, basically won the Cowboys that game two years ago by destroying our reserve right tackles. He's an ascending talent, notching 7 sacks last year after 4 the year before. He's only 24, and he has a body by Zeus at 6'7 290. I'll miss Brate, but we're a better team for this deal.

COLTS Acquire WR Adam Humphries
BUCCANEERS Acquire 2018 4th Round Pick, 2019 4th Round Pick

This is another story of a guy who likely isn't going to get paid here. We're three deep at the position, with Godwin and Evans primed to be our starters from 2019 until 2025 or so. Humphries is a nice spare part, but he's not a part of the long-term.

I picked the Colts for this deal because Josh McDaniels. We all know about the Patriots and Welker, Amendola, Edelman, etc. Humphries is the same type of underneath receiver, and the Colts don't have that guy right now. I think two 4ths is fair, considering he'll likely catch 100 passes for them if this happens (and 30 if he stays here.)

Part Three: Cuts

RB Doug Martin
Seems like a foregone conclusion, as it should be.

RB Jacquizz Rodgers
Thanks for the 2 or 3 decent games two years ago.

DE Robert Ayers
Just another Licht free agent signing that hasn't worked out. Ayers looks like a lot of sound and fury and whole lot of nothing production at this point.

DT Chris Baker
I could care less about cap implications. He played like crap and he's a team chemistry dud. The most useful thing he could do for the Buccaneers is send a clear message about turds getting flushed.

Part Four: Free Agency

BUCCANEERS SIGN:

RB Brandon Bolden, Patriots (2 Years, $3 Million)
I like Bolden. He's performed well when called upon by the Patriots. He's been an effective runner and receiver, and he's a great special teamer. He would be a good backup/co-starter with Peyton Barber.

RB Kenjon Barner, Eagles (1 Year, Vet Minimum)
He can stick around as the 4th running back, but I'm more interested in him as a return man. He's above-average as both a kick and punt returner, and he can play running back in a pinch, too. I like the idea of simply signing somebody and considering the return job checked off.

G Andrew Norwell, Panthers (5 Years, $65 Million, $25 Million To Sign)
It's pretty simple. Norwell is one of the very best guards in football, just entering his prime. He'll become the highest paid guard in football in a month. Kevin Zeitler's deal was a little big less than this last year. Let's get it done.

DT Star Lotulelei, Panthers (3 Years, $15 Million, $10 Million To Sign)
He hasn't lived up to his lofty draft status, but what he does, he does well. He's a run-plugging two down defensive tackle. I think he's what Chris Baker was supposed to be.

CB Trumaine Johnson, Rams (5 Years, $75 Million, $30 Million To Sign)
He's one of the best, most complete corners in the league. He can contain great receivers, he can play the run, and he can hit. He's a true #1 cornerback about to hit unrestricted free agency. Guys like this don't hit free agency all that often. Again, let's pay the damn money and check this off our list.

FS Isaiah Johnson, Rams (1 Year, Vet Minimum)
I liked Johnson coming out of Georgia Tech and I still do. He didn't get much of a chance to play in the Rams talented secondary, but I think he could compete with Chris Conte for the starting job opposite Justin Evans. Worst case, he's a good special teamer. NOTE: I realize we ALREADY have an Isaiah Johnson at safety on this roster. I like this one better.

Part Five: The Draft

TRADE #1
CARDINALS Receive 7th Overall Pick
BUCCANEERS Receive 15th Overall Pick, 2nd Round Pick, 2019 4th Round Pick

The Cardinals literally do not have a quarterback on the roster right now. I'm sure they'll sign a veteran, but probably not a stud. Mike McCoy is used to working with big, strong armed quarterbacks. I think they'll like Josh Allen, and I think he'll be there at #7. This strikes me as a reasonable payoff for dropping back in a mediocre draft, and a reasonable price the Cardinals would pay for landing the last worthwhile quarterback.

TRADE#2
PATRIOTS Receive #38 Overall Pick, 4th Round Pick (From Buccaneers)
BUCCANEERS Receive 32nd Overall Pick
We can be “that team” this year, moving up from the early 2nd with the Patriots to get our guy before the end of Day One. I do love that 5th year option.

1 (15, From Cardinals) – Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA
7th overall felt a bit rich. 15th is a lot easier to imagine. Davenport is a project, but I think he's a project worth undertaking. With Gholston, Spence, and now David Irving, there would be little pressure to play right away. We could actually grow and develop a young talent in Tampa for once like real NFL teams do.

1 (32, From Patriots) – Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
This one is for RBF and the other running back freaks. Michel is my favorite back in this draft next to Guice. Both fast and quick, with decent size and great vision. I don't know if he's big enough to be a 20 touch back, but in conjunction with Barber (and Bolden) he could be a 12-15 touch guy who ends up with 1,200 yards from scrimmage.

2 (47, From Cardinals) – Nick Nelson, CB, Wisconsin
Nelson impressed the living heck out of me when I saw him play. He's going to outplay this draft spot and be a better pro than a college player (and he was a good college player.) Everybody talked about the Badgers front seven, but Nelson blanketing top receivers was one of the reason they got home so often. At 6'0 200, he has good size, and I think he's an ideal boundary corner with Trumaine Johnson on one side and VHIII in the slot (where he belongs.)

3) (69) – Isaiah Wynn, G, Georgia
Wynn got on everybody's radar at the Senior Bowl. If not for the fact he's only 6'2 303, he'd be listed higher. He kind of reminds me of Aaron Donald, if Aaron Donald was a guard. He's not huge, but he's so quick and athletic and smart that he wins snap after snap. I draft him here, let him sit behind Sweezy for a year, and then plug him in in 2019.

4) (100, From Colts) – Alex Cappa, OT, Humboldt State
Cappa isn't a household name. But like Julie'n Davenport last year, he's a small-school developmental talent with major upside. He's likely a right tackle in the NFL, and I think after seeing him at the Senior Bowl, he could be a good one. He's a guy I stick behind Dotson for a year, maybe two, and see what happens.

5) Chase Litton, QB, Marshall
You know me. I love the idea of drafting and developing quarterbacks. You usually get 2-3 years of cheap backup play out of the deal. Sometimes you strike gold and you can deal the guy for a much higher pick down the road. Anyway, Litton is a huge (6'6 233) pocket quarterback who has been very consistent for Marshall. He has an NFL arm and a quick delivery, but he takes a moment longer than you'd like identifying his targets. That's something that hopefully can be coached up a bit.

6) Christopher Herndon, TE, Miami
Herndon was in the mix as a potential 3rd/4th round pick before an MCL injury late in the season knocked him out and will likely keep him out of the pre-draft process. I really like where we're at with the Howard/Auclair duo, but another “weapon” at the position would be useful going forward. We'd be in a position to redshirt him this year and move him into a bigger role in 2019.

6 (From Steelers) Folorunso Fatakasi, DT, Uconn
No real rocket science here. Fatakasi was very good for the Huskies, showing the ability to clog running lanes and push the pocket on occasion. At 6'4 315, he has great size and a motor. If Stevie T. doesn't work out, he could take that spot as a developmental nose tackle type here.

Part Six: Projected Roster

QB Jameis Winston
QB Ryan Griffin
QB Chase Litton

RB Peyton Barber
RB Sony Michel
RB Brandon Bolden
RB Kenjon Barner

FB/TE Alan Cross

WR Mike Evans
WR DeSean Jackson
WR Chris Godwin
WR Freddie Martino/Bobo Wilson/Devin Lucien
WR UFA/TBD

TE OJ Howard
TE Antony Auclair
TE UFA/TBD
TE Christopher Herndon (PUP/IR)

LT Donovan Smith
LG Andrew Norwell
C Ali Marpet
LG JR Sweezy
RT Demar Dotson
OT Leonard Wester
G/T Caleb Benenoch
G Isaiah Wynn
T Alex Cappa
C Joe Hawley

DE William Gholston
DE Noah Spence
DE David Irving
DE Marcus Davenport
DT Gerald McCoy
DT Star Lotulelei
DT Clinton McDonald
DT Stevie T.
DT Folorunso Fatakasi

WLB Lavonte David
MLB Kwon Alexander
SLB Kendall Beckwith
LB Adarius Glanton
LB Devante Bond

CB Trumaine Johnson
CB Vernon Hargreaves III
CB Nick Nelson
CB Ryan Smith
CB Robert McClain
CB Josh Robinson

S Justin Evans
S Chris Conte
S Isaiah Johnson
S TBD/UFA

LS Garrison Sanborn
K Pat Murray
P Bryan Anger

KR/PR Kenjon Barner

Part Seven: Unfinished Business

The first thing that comes to mind that we'll have subtracted Brate and Humphries and literally not replaced either one with a guy who can make plays. I think that might be a problem at some point, but if we can run the ball better behind an improved line, we'll be okay. Especially with Chris Godwin likely continuing to develop. Also, Sony Michel can account for cheap yards, which is something we didn't have last year, or any year since Warrick Dunn left the first time around.

The next thing is offensive line depth. You can't fix everything in one offseason. Hopefully, Benenoch and Wester can contribute. Plus, I think Wynn will be ready sooner rather than later.

The only other glaring thing for me is safety depth. I would rather let this situation settle this season and use a pick or money next year on a permanent running mate for Evans. We've simply invested enough in safety for the time being.

Thoughts?
MJW

Re: One Word: MOCKSEASON, Or Possibly Two Words: MOCK SEASON

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:34 am

4-12

I'll be debbie downer.

We get a thousand yard rusher

Our sacks improve by 5

More int's and fumbles.

McCoy adds 3 cars to his collection

A record 11 players continue on with other teams

Talk of rebuild is in the early stages around November.

We did add some nice pieces, a few less than we took away.

Could I be wrong, everytime I remember Trent Richardsons name.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:41 am

1-15
Phantom Phenom

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:44 am

0-16. Good draft next year.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:50 am

mdb1958 wrote:4-12

I'll be debbie downer.

We get a thousand yard rusher

Our sacks improve by 5

More int's and fumbles.

McCoy adds 3 cars to his collection

A record 11 players continue on with other teams

Talk of rebuild is in the early stages around November.

We did add some nice pieces, a few less than we took away.

Could I be wrong, everytime I remember Trent Richardsons name.

We've added a dynamic running back.
Upgraded from the worst left guard in the league to maybe the best.
We'll have Howard and Godwin presumably build on great rookie years.
Ali Marpet improves on his first year at center.
Donovan Smith...well...last call.
We'll have gone from one of the worst edge rush situations in the league to one of the better ones.
We'll have, hopefully, 16 games of Noah Spence and Kendell Beckwith.
We'll have added our first true #1 corner since Donnie Abraham, and a rookie who could be a #2 immediately, with VHIII in his more natural slot position.

I can't fire Dirk Koetter or I would. But this roster can win games right now, and I think would be set up to win games in the future.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:55 am

Two guys for Michel? Nevermind that one. I dont think you would have to trade up for Michel.

Its still open whether Irving get hit again for eatin the candy...

I hate building from failure, I would much rather have it the other way around.
mdb1958

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:08 am

The most realistic part of this, is Chris Conte somehow survives another year.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Konatown » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:17 am

I’d miss Brate and Hump, but would definitely be happy if it all played out like that.

Our pass rush, running game and CB position have all been improved. Nicely done for one offseason
Konatown

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:26 am

The approach is Licht like in that it moves to fix every roster hole it can before the draft. Its a philosophy I happen to agree with.

The subtraction of Brate is a bitter pill, but the addition of Irving offsets quite a bit of that. Smythe from Notre Dame caught my eye at the Senior Bowl and could be the steal of his position.

The subtraction of Humphries on the other hand is simpler to overcome since this draft has a glut of slot receivers in it that will go undrafted and can compete with Martino and Bobo for the WR screen job. Quadree Henderson from Pitt or kevonte Turpin (all 155lbs of him) from TCU are guys you can bring in post draft. Hell, Christian Kirk is an ideal slot guy who seems to be falling off the planet.

Id have to take a look at your Humboldt tackle since Ive honestly ignored the position a great deal this year. Id like to know where Jamarco Jones projects as well as Mason Cole. I just want a B10 guy there.

Anybody who watched Georgia when it was still warm outside knew that Wynn was going to be a Guard. And he'll be a good one too. Good enough to get some snaps in 2018.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Hatter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:40 am

I hope Humphrey stays put, I can see him being traded away and instantly becoming the next Welker type star. He can be the ultimate relief valve IMO. (Plus the Clemson/Panther fans all around me love him and hate the fact that we got him so I hope we keep him!)

I only saw 3 or 4 Bucs games this year unfortunately but I thought with the limited playing time Will Clark got he was quick and somewhat menacing with good chase speed. I guess I was wrong about this?

I love Brate but the trade makes complete cense.
Hatter

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:20 am

By my count you've gotten rid of 18 players and replaced them with just 15. Gone is the solid mix of veteran depth and youth that Licht has established over the years. As a result instead of rookies being challenged to earned their spot they'd be handed to them. Give it a D+ at best.
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:52 am

Konatown wrote:I’d miss Brate and Hump, but would definitely be happy if it all played out like that.

Our pass rush, running game and CB position have all been improved. Nicely done for one offseason

Brate and Hump were/are the two equations that Winston rarely screwed up on and defenses had trouble eliminating.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:02 am

Bootz2004 wrote:By my count you've gotten rid of 18 players and replaced them with just 15. Gone is the solid mix of veteran depth and youth that Licht has established over the years. As a result instead of rookies being challenged to earned their spot they'd be handed to them. Give it a D+ at best.

I don't know if Madden has this feature, Bootz, but real NFL teams tend to add undrafted free agents. Usually 2-5 a year. I wasn't quite hardcore enough to troll for those.

And I have not idea what "careful balance" you mean. We added veterans and drafted rookies.

I give you a D- at trolling, and an F at life.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:05 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:By my count you've gotten rid of 18 players and replaced them with just 15. Gone is the solid mix of veteran depth and youth that Licht has established over the years. As a result instead of rookies being challenged to earned their spot they'd be handed to them. Give it a D+ at best.

I don't know if Madden has this feature, Bootz, but real NFL teams tend to add undrafted free agents. Usually 2-5 a year. I wasn't quite hardcore enough to troll for those.

And I have not idea what "careful balance" you mean. We added veterans and drafted rookies.

That's even worse. 2-5 guys who got passed over 256 times making your roster is a good thing? Mark Dominik would smile. Keep doing what you do, *****.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:12 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

That's even worse. 2-5 guys who got passed over 256 times making your roster is a good thing? Mark Dominik would smile. Keep doing what you do, *****.

There aren't good undrafted free agents? Now you get an F at trolling because c'mon. But you're welcome to get out your crayons and do your own.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:17 am

Rather than getting bogged down with the minor details, I'm looking at this from the big picture perspective, and I absolutely dig it. It may be a bit unrealistic (lots of trades, signing 3 big name FAs), but overall I agree with the sentiment. The main focus here is to get the run game going and improve our pass rush and pass D. My 1 real critique is the trades which are either needless (Hump) or impossible to call (the trade down). But I love the Star/Norwell/Trumaine FA haul (it's my FA dream, but with Alex Okafor as well), and I'm down with the Davenport/Michel draft haul.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:26 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

There aren't good undrafted free agents? Now you get an F at trolling because c'mon. But you're welcome to get out your crayons and do your own.

You're really banking on cashing in on 2-5 UDFAs. 2-5 good ones. For perspective 1 UDFA rookie made our initial 53 (Auclair) And he spent the 1st 12 games as a healthy scratch. But you're counting on 2-5 to not only make the final 53 but be "good" ones. Along with all 8 draft picks. And you call ME the troll? Nice try *****.
Bootz2004

Postby beardmcdoug » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:37 am

Enjoyed the read, MJW
beardmcdoug

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:52 am

beardmcdoug wrote:Enjoyed the read, MJW

Come to think of it, I did too, even if I didnt like it.
mdb1958

Postby Naismith » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:10 am

Well done. I don't agree with a lot of the decisions but it was obviously hard work and well reasoned. If the Bucs get two fourth round picks for Adam Humphries, that would be a huge win. I expect his trade value would be one fifth at the absolute highest, but I've certainly been surprised before.
Naismith

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:14 am

Naismith wrote:Well done. I don't agree with a lot of the decisions but it was obviously hard work and well reasoned. If the Bucs get two fourth round picks for Adam Humphries, that would be a huge win. I expect his trade value would be one fifth at the absolute highest, but I've certainly been surprised before.

Wow, skimmed over and I didn't even see that, assumed it was for like a 6th or something. I just don't see Hump returning any value in a trade, much rather just keep him as a 4th receiver and returner, especially if we're losing Brate and likely incorporating even more of a 3 wide offence.
real bucs fan

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:38 am

Whats the difference between Alex Cappa and Brad Seaton
mdb1958

Postby Naismith » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:40 am

Five letters vs six letters in their last names.
Naismith

Postby reagan SMASH » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:13 pm

Wow, lots of work went into this and it all seems within reason, with the exception of the Humphries trade...I don't think we get close to that return. I also would prefer not trading up from our 2nd and I think there's a decent chance Michel is there when we pick, but I'm no expert. But I dig it overall. Well done.
reagan SMASH

Postby BucJordan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:59 pm

Agree that's probably too much to expect for Hump. And we might have to send something with Brate to get Irving, just because of the value of a pass rusher compared to a TE.

I'm also not sure I'd pull the trigger on that Cardinals trade. For a QB I have to think we'd be able to grab a 2019 1st. And if not, the thought of a Norwell/Marpet/Nelson interior O line gives me a chub (assuming the real Chubb and Fitzpatrick are gone).

But on a more general note, I'd love this approach to the off-season. Just getting Trumaine Johnson OR Andrew Norwell would have me pretty pumped. Both would be a dream.
BucJordan

Postby Caradoc » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:27 pm

I can see that particular trade for Brate, definitely could work out for both teams. But you trade either Brate OR Hump, not both. A year from now, maybe two, and DJax is done. And God forbid any injuries. There's a reason we went overkill on the receiving options this year after what happened the year before. If you count on Evans, DJax, and Godwin, you are one injury away from having your receiving corps go from a strength to a weakness.
Caradoc

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:44 pm

I didn't even talk about those trades. They make zero sense.

Cam Brate for David Irving. Why are the Cowboys trading an emerging young DE with great tools for a backup TE? You can never have too many pass rushers. The Cowboys aren't trading away Irving for anyone. I could absolutely see them swinging a trade for Brate. But it'll more like be for draft picks, something like you have with Hump going to the Colts. That trade is bad on our end. Adam Humphries is never going to cost that much to begin with against the salary cap. He'll help in the easy completion department. From the Colts perspective they already have Hump types on their team in Rogers and Aiken. Trading 2 4ths for what you already have is nonsense.
Bootz2004

Postby Sammich » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:44 pm

Overall I really like it. I would prefer to keep Tandy over going into the season with a hole at safety, but I admit I like Tandy a lot more than most and he does look to have fallen out of favor with the coaches for whatever reason.

You do state it weakens us a bit in some areas to strengthen us in others and I respect that. Nothing is free.

My only real concern would be that it's a bit of a snowball or domino scenario. For action B to work then A has to happen. For action C to work then B has to happen, etc. If we were able to pull it off we would be a much improved team.

Well done.
Sammich

Postby MJW » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:03 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

You're really banking on cashing in on 2-5 UDFAs. 2-5 good ones. For perspective 1 UDFA rookie made our initial 53 (Auclair) And he spent the 1st 12 games as a healthy scratch. But you're counting on 2-5 to not only make the final 53 but be "good" ones. Along with all 8 draft picks. And you call ME the troll? Nice try *****.

Actually, there were a ton of undrafted free agfents on our roster, and guys who weren't on anyone's radar when they entered the league. Peyton Barber, Antony Auclair, Adam Humphries, Cameron Brate, Demar Dotson, should I go on? Casuals.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:04 am

Bootz2004 wrote:I didn't even talk about those trades. They make zero sense.

Cam Brate for David Irving. Why are the Cowboys trading an emerging young DE with great tools for a backup TE? You can never have too many pass rushers. The Cowboys aren't trading away Irving for anyone. I could absolutely see them swinging a trade for Brate. But it'll more like be for draft picks, something like you have with Hump going to the Colts. That trade is bad on our end. Adam Humphries is never going to cost that much to begin with against the salary cap. He'll help in the easy completion department. From the Colts perspective they already have Hump types on their team in Rogers and Aiken. Trading 2 4ths for what you already have is nonsense.

I explained why. You're welcome to read said explanation and work from there. I can't read for you.
MJW

Next

Return to Team Discussions