One Word: MOCKSEASON, Or Possibly Two Words: MOCK SEASON

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: One Word: MOCKSEASON, Or Possibly Two Words: MOCK SEASON

Postby MJW » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:07 am

The Humphries trade seems to be the most contentious point, so let me explain my thinking:

Wes Welker, a 2nd and a 7th when he was nobody.
Danny Amendola, a $35 million dollar contract when he was seem as a spare part.
Julian Edelman, developed and given two sizable extensions so far, after coming into the league as a MAC quarterback.

These underneath, quick-twitch slot receivers are vital to Josh McDaniels and his offense. He doesn't have anyone like this on his roster right now. In that scheme, Humphries is an 80-1000 player. I think that's worth the cost for him. But reasonable people can disagree.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:08 am

Sammich wrote:Overall I really like it. I would prefer to keep Tandy over going into the season with a hole at safety, but I admit I like Tandy a lot more than most and he does look to have fallen out of favor with the coaches for whatever reason.

You do state it weakens us a bit in some areas to strengthen us in others and I respect that. Nothing is free.

My only real concern would be that it's a bit of a snowball or domino scenario. For action B to work then A has to happen. For action C to work then B has to happen, etc. If we were able to pull it off we would be a much improved team.

Well done.

I would have kept Tandy, except it was apparent from his diminished work load this last season that Mike Smith isn't much of a fan.

And thank you.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:44 pm

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
You're really banking on cashing in on 2-5 UDFAs. 2-5 good ones. For perspective 1 UDFA rookie made our initial 53 (Auclair) And he spent the 1st 12 games as a healthy scratch. But you're counting on 2-5 to not only make the final 53 but be "good" ones. Along with all 8 draft picks. And you call ME the troll? Nice try *****.

Actually, there were a ton of undrafted free agfents on our roster, and guys who weren't on anyone's radar when they entered the league. Peyton Barber, Antony Auclair, Adam Humphries, Cameron Brate, Demar Dotson, should I go on? Casuals.

Yes, 5 guys accumulated over the last 9 years. You were talking about finding as many in 1 offseason. Don’t try and change the narrative now.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:47 pm

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:I didn't even talk about those trades. They make zero sense.

Cam Brate for David Irving. Why are the Cowboys trading an emerging young DE with great tools for a backup TE? You can never have too many pass rushers. The Cowboys aren't trading away Irving for anyone. I could absolutely see them swinging a trade for Brate. But it'll more like be for draft picks, something like you have with Hump going to the Colts. That trade is bad on our end. Adam Humphries is never going to cost that much to begin with against the salary cap. He'll help in the easy completion department. From the Colts perspective they already have Hump types on their team in Rogers and Aiken. Trading 2 4ths for what you already have is nonsense.

I explained why. You're welcome to read said explanation and work from there. I can't read for you.

Your reasoning makes zero sense. Backup TE does not equate to emerging pass rusher. Brate is the exact opposite type of TE Witten is. You actually think an NFL team would put Brate in as an in-line TE in their offense? Especially an offense that runs the ball as much as Dallas? Even you know they wouldn’t. And as I stated you clearly don’t have an understanding of the Colts offensive guys.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:
I explained why. You're welcome to read said explanation and work from there. I can't read for you.

Your reasoning makes zero sense. Backup TE does not equate to emerging pass rusher. Brate is the exact opposite type of TE Witten is. You actually think an NFL team would put Brate in as an in-line TE in their offense? Especially an offense that runs the ball as much as Dallas? Even you know they wouldn’t. And as I stated you clearly don’t have an understanding of the Colts offensive guys.

Brate wouldn't be a backup there for long. In fact, there are no guarantees the Cowboys will keep Witten around another year. I thought that was obvious.
The Cowboys are about to make Lawrence the highest paid DE in the NFL. They just used a 1st rounder on Taco, who showed promise. They're not going to pay market value in a year to re-sign Irving. They can't afford to. It's really that simple.
I wipe my ass on your deep knowledge of the Colts roster.
And until your lazy ass puts in the work I did, I'm through pretending your opinion is relevant on this thread.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:45 pm

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Brate wouldn't be a backup there for long. In fact, there are no guarantees the Cowboys will keep Witten around another year. I thought that was obvious.
The Cowboys are about to make Lawrence the highest paid DE in the NFL. They just used a 1st rounder on Taco, who showed promise. They're not going to pay market value in a year to re-sign Irving. They can't afford to. It's really that simple.
I wipe my ass on your deep knowledge of the Colts roster.
And until your lazy ass puts in the work I did, I'm through pretending your opinion is relevant on this thread.

You're intentionally being obtuse. Brate isn't the same kind of TE Witten is. They don't utilize move TEs in the same way we do. They prefer Y TEs, the kind of TE Howard and Auclair are. Not Cam Brate types. That trade isn't realistic but then again it's you. I don't expect much logic from you.
Bootz2004

Postby Caradoc » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:15 pm

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:I didn't even talk about those trades. They make zero sense.

Cam Brate for David Irving. Why are the Cowboys trading an emerging young DE with great tools for a backup TE? You can never have too many pass rushers. The Cowboys aren't trading away Irving for anyone. I could absolutely see them swinging a trade for Brate. But it'll more like be for draft picks, something like you have with Hump going to the Colts. That trade is bad on our end. Adam Humphries is never going to cost that much to begin with against the salary cap. He'll help in the easy completion department. From the Colts perspective they already have Hump types on their team in Rogers and Aiken. Trading 2 4ths for what you already have is nonsense.

Just ignore him, Bootsie is still pretending Brate isn't a good TE.
Caradoc

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:48 pm

Caradoc wrote:
MJW wrote:

Just ignore him, Bootsie is still pretending Brate isn't a good TE.

Has nothing to do with whether he's good or bad, k!ddo. He's not an inline TE, which is what Witten is.
Bootz2004

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:43 am

MJW wrote:WR Mike Evans
WR DeSean Jackson
WR Chris Godwin
WR Freddie Martino/Bobo Wilson/Devin Lucien
WR UFA/TBD

TE OJ Howard
TE Antony Auclair
TE UFA/TBD
TE Christopher Herndon (PUP/IR)

Thoughts?

My thoughts revolve around the depth chart now at WR and TE....

You turned two positions of depth/strength into two positions without depth. What happens if Jackson or Godwin go down? We're back to the days of playing 5th/6th WRs as starters & picking up guys off the street. Not trying to restart the "great Brate debate" again, and I know a lot of folks here and at OBP are high on Auclair, but he's all we have as a back-up/emergency starter option at TE?

Edit: I should have included, I enjoyed the post, MJW. Lot of thought & effort went into it. Props on that. I liked several parts of it, I'm just not high on shipping out Winston's top 2 most reliable/consistent security blankets in the same offseason without really replacing them. Other than that, good work.
pewterpirates

Previous

Return to Team Discussions