2018 QB Carousel Primer and Predictions

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
2018 QB Carousel Primer and Predictions

Postby BucJordan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:56 pm

By my estimation, only 17 teams should be feeling confident about their QB position for the next 3-4 years.

The NFC is faring pretty well. The Bucs, Falcons, Panthers, Packers, Lions, Bears, Seahawks, 49ers, Rams, Eagles, Cowboys, and with the latest headlines, Redskins are confident they have their starter for at least the next three years. One team in each division has a need at the position.

The AFC is less fortunate. Not many teams are in the above club, where it would be at least a minor upset if The current starter isn't still The guy in 2020. The Texans, Titans, Raiders, and Chiefs are in the best spot. The injury runaround has been concerning but let's give the Colts the benefit of the doubt. I don't think there's another team in the AFC That belongs in the same category as the 12 NFC teams listed above. Wow. That leaves 11 teams that could arguably be looking for an upgrade, the future, or both.

Keeping count, that's 15 teams total. Let's quickly categorize them:

Group A: Teams that need an immediate starter

Arizona Cardinals - Bye, Carson
Minnesota Vikings - Three QBs, three free agents
Buffalo Bills - They seem intent to move on from Tyrod
New York Jets - Josh McCown finally failed to get his team the #1 pick, which is a shame for the Jets because Petty and Hackenberg aren't the answer.
Denver Broncos - Elway will not be content with Siemian/Lynch/Osweiler for 2018.
Cleveland Browns - Failing to find (or even attempt to draft) has cost the FO their jobs. I think it's priority #1 now.

Group B: Teams that need to find the future

New York Giants - Old, regressing, and even benched in 2017.
New Orleans Saints - The running game took some pressure off his arm, but certainly in the twilight of his career.
New England Patriots - Even if they think Brady might actually make it to 50, th eh ll be looking for new insurance after trading Jimmy G.
Pittsburgh Steelers - He's changed his tune recently but a year ago he was contemplating retirement. Is Josh Dobbs the future?
San Diego Chargers - Has admitted he's getting towards the end, though they could probably still hold off a year.

Group C: Teams that may be looking to upgrade

Jacksonville Jaguars - It seems like Bortles saved his job at the end of the year, but they probably become SB favorites with Cousins or he'll, Sam Bradford.
Baltimore Ravens - Autocorrect wants me to call him Joe Fiasco. He's not that, but he's been pretty ho hum these last few years.
Cincinatti Bengals - This was supposed to be the year Dalton put it all together. Instead he was inconsistent at best.
Miami Dolphins - With all the talent he's had to work with, Tannehill has underdelivered and is now coming off a big injury.

Now, let's meet our contestants.

Kirk Cousins is in his own tier as a bona fide long term starter. Behind him, we have Tyrod Taylor, Case Keenum, Sam Bradford, and Teddy Bridgewater, who should all find themselves starting or competing to start in 2018, even if it's keeping the seat warm for a rook. AJ McCarron deserves mention as a highly regarded backup that will be either an RFA or UFA, pending the results of his grievance. You should find most or all of these guys on Group A teams in 2018. Cousins is the exception, as he could easily be scooped up by a Group C team looking to upgrade for a true franchise QB.

Then we have the rookies. Its still early and depending on who you ask, there are 4-6 QBs that could be first rounders in Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Mason Rudolph. This is the fun part. These guys could end up on any of the above teams.

Now comes the fun - predicting the QB landscape for these 15 teams. Its mind boggling how many viable combinations there are.

1. For teams in Group A, name a) the 2018 Game 1 Starter and b) the 2019 Game 1 Starter

Arizona Cardinals - a) Tyrod Taylor b) Baker Mayfield
Minnesota Vikings - a) Case Keenum b) Teddy Bridgewater
Buffalo Bills - a) Sam Bradford b) Nathan Peterman
New York Jets - a) Josh Allen b) Josh Allen
Denver Broncos - a) Kirk Cousins b) Kirk Cousins
Cleveland Browns - a) Sam Darnold b) Sam Darnold

2. For teams in Group B, name the 2020 Game 1 Starter. 2019/2020 draft pick is an acceptable answer.

New York Giants - Josh Rosen
New Orleans Saints - Sam Bradford
New England Patriots - Mason Rudolph
Pittsburgh Steelers - Josh Dobbs
San Diego Chargers - 2020 draft pick

3. For teams in Group C, name the 2018 Game 1 Starter. If it's the incumbent, does he still hold the job going into 2020?

Jacksonville Jaguars - Blake Bortles - Yes (UCF homer alert)
Baltimore Ravens - Joe Flacco - No
Cincinatti Bengals - Andy Dalton - No
Miami Dolphins - Ryan Tannehill - No (Lamar Jackson)

Your turn!
BucJordan

Re: 2018 QB Carousel Primer and Predictions

Postby BucJordan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Jeesh, nobody else wants to even take a stab at it? What do I need to do, offer a T Shirt to the winner?
BucJordan

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Go vegan
IchabodCrane84

Postby Super K » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:42 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:Go vegan

HA!
Super K

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:44 pm

BucJordan wrote:Jeesh, nobody else wants to even take a stab at it? What do I need to do, offer a T Shirt to the winner?

Or a Donald Igwebuike jersey
Deja Entendu

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:56 pm

Saints need a QB
Bootz2004

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:21 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Saints need a QB

It's the white elephant in the room . Everyone says Rivers and Manning are done due age, and no one wants to talk about Brews. He's going to fade nicely if possible, and very interesting to watch.

By the way, BucJordan, great write up . IF it's yours, you could pursue getting published.
Crocaneers

Postby BUCCABEER » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:30 pm

Nice post. My only issue is the constant confirmation that Cousins is going to Denver. Maybe I just don't want Denver to sign him because it screws up our draft choice, but let me throw out some alternate options - ones who may actually pay him the money:

1. Jacksonville - They are a better QB away from being one hell of a scary team. where I do not pretend to pay attention to salary cap abilities on a team by team basis, I am assuming the fact that the team is young would allow them to sign him for a max contract if they believe in him.

2. Minnesota - To me, Cousins is a more popular choice than Keenum, but I am not sure they are really that much different in the position. They have two injury prone QBs on their roster, and one guy that was a backup until this year. If the front office doesn't feel good about Bradford and Bridgewater really being 100%, they go all in on a QB that may get them over the hump. I think MN is in a real crappy position, good luck.

3. Miami - Cutler needs to go back to the booth, and Tannehill did not have the chance to prove his worth this year. Again, Miami may be looking at a lost opportunity with a team that seemed to be improving if they do not have the right QB. If I'm Miami, I'm going for Cousins with the weapons they have on Offense. It's time for Miami to take over the AFC East.

If I were a betting man, he'll be in a Jags uni next year.
BUCCABEER

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:12 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
BucJordan wrote:Jeesh, nobody else wants to even take a stab at it? What do I need to do, offer a T Shirt to the winner?

Or a Donald Igwebuike jersey

Totally forgot about that. I'm going to have to revisit that thread and get on it. But it's not Igwebuike.
MJW

Postby BucJordan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:29 am

Crocaneers wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Saints need a QB

It's the white elephant in the room . Everyone says Rivers and Manning are done due age, and no one wants to talk about Brews. He's going to fade nicely if possible, and very interesting to watch.

By the way, BucJordan, great write up . IF it's yours, you could pursue getting published.

And let's not forget they use a third rounder on Garrett Grayson a few years back, who was supposed to be the understudy. But alas, he sucked and Brees kept producing. I definitely think the time is right to take another shot. As you can see from my predictions though, I'm not sure they pick high enough, or put the resources into selecting their next franchise guy.

P.S. I appreciate the props!
BucJordan

Postby BigIrv9 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:46 am

Don’t forget SuperBowl MVP, Nick Foles, who is IMO the best QB on the market this offseason.
BigIrv9

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:31 am

I'll Play

1. For teams in Group A, name a) the 2018 Game 1 Starter and b) the 2019 Game 1 Starter

Arizona Cardinals - a) Nick Foles b) Nick Foles
Minnesota Vikings - a) Case Keenum b) Andy Dalton
Buffalo Bills - a) AJ McCarron b) AJ McCarron
New York Jets - a) Kirk Cousins b) Kirk Cousins
Denver Broncos - a) Sam Darnold b) Sam Darnold
Cleveland Browns - a) Josh Allen b) Mike Glennon

2. For teams in Group B, name the 2020 Game 1 Starter. 2019/2020 draft pick is an acceptable answer.

New York Giants - Josh Rosen
New Orleans Saints - Baker Mayfield
New England Patriots - Tom Brady
Pittsburgh Steelers - Lamar Jackson
San Diego Chargers - 2020 draft pick

3. For teams in Group C, name the 2018 Game 1 Starter. If it's the incumbent, does he still hold the job going into 2020?

Jacksonville Jaguars - Blake Bortles - No
Baltimore Ravens - Joe Flacco - No
Cincinatti Bengals - Andy Dalton - No
Miami Dolphins - Ryan Tannehill - No
Doctor

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:30 pm

BigIrv9 wrote:Don’t forget SuperBowl MVP, Nick Foles, who is IMO the best QB on the market this offseason.

Foles has shown to be a system QB, if he goes elsewhere to be the starter I don't see it playing out like people would hope.
Miller4Prez64

Postby MJW » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:07 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
BigIrv9 wrote:Don’t forget SuperBowl MVP, Nick Foles, who is IMO the best QB on the market this offseason.

Foles has shown to be a system QB, if he goes elsewhere to be the starter I don't see it playing out like people would hope.

Thank you.
MJW

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:22 pm

MJW wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:

Thank you.

Which system?

He's looked good in 3 out of 4 systems (or 2 out of 3 if you don't want to differentiate between Reid and Pederson). Either way, he's only ever looked "not good" under Jeff Fisher for a season. Funny how different Case Keenum looked elsewhere too.
Deja Entendu

Postby MJW » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:35 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
MJW wrote:
Thank you.

Which system?

He's looked good in 3 out of 4 systems (or 2 out of 3 if you don't want to differentiate between Reid and Pederson). Either way, he's only ever looked "not good" under Jeff Fisher for a season. Funny how different Case Keenum looked elsewhere too.

He looked good under Kelly for a year. Then the league watched the tape, figured out how to stop the offense, and he looked like a replacement level player the next year, and that's being kind. They dealt him away. Then he went to St. Louis, and looked like crap. They didn't want him back. Then he went to the Chiefs. They didn't want him back. Now he played well for two months and people are ready to throw around first round picks and huge contracts to secure him. It's such a remarkably old story in the NFL. Big moments leading to emotional responses, combined with small sample sizes in good situations, then assumptions that he can do it anywhere, then a traded draft pick and a big contract.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:

2 of those systems he looked great in. The other was Jeff Fisher.
Bootz2004

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:

2 of those systems he looked great in. The other was Jeff Fisher.

13 TDs and 12 Ints was his 2nd year under Kelly before he was injured*

He was pretty bad in 2 of the 3 games in the regular season this year.

It's impossible to say how he will be going forward.

*I forgot he was injured.
uscbucsfan

Postby Sammich » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:

They said point blank during the Super Bowl that the Iggles changed their offense to suit Foles.
Sammich

Return to Team Discussions