Alex Smith: Traded

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Alex Smith: Traded

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:31 pm

Deuce wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
What's Cousin's playoff record?

He's played 1 game and he's 0-1. Way smaller of a sample size than 2-5. What if I told you that Alex Smith lost to the Tennessee Titans in the playoffs this year?

So that says he's not good at getting teams to the post season. Your ONLY argument right now is sample size. You're taking the "we haven't seen enough from Cousins" side. It's lazy at best.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:31 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
What's Cousin's playoff record?

That was the definition of a "casual" response, *****. :lol:

So Cousins Playoff record should be ignored while Smith's is used as an argument against him?
Bootz2004

Postby Deuce » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Deuce wrote:
He's played 1 game and he's 0-1. Way smaller of a sample size than 2-5. What if I told you that Alex Smith lost to the Tennessee Titans in the playoffs this year?

So that says he's not good at getting teams to the post season. Your ONLY argument right now is sample size. You're taking the "we haven't seen enough from Cousins" side. It's lazy at best.

What's lazy is your response to my post breaking down their differences. You keyed in on the one part, which I wrote as a joke, because only an idiot thinks that the QB is responsible for a team's win-loss record.

You completely ignored the fact that in 2016, Alex Smith threw for 3,500 yards, 15 TDs and 8 INTs and his team went 12-4. You're making the "Tim Tebow wins games!!!" argument.
Deuce

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:49 pm

Deuce wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

What's lazy is your response to my post breaking down their differences. You keyed in on the one part, which I wrote as a joke, because only an idiot thinks that the QB is responsible for a team's win-loss record.

You completely ignored the fact that in 2016, Alex Smith threw for 3,500 yards, 15 TDs and 8 INTs and his team went 12-4. You're making the "Tim Tebow wins games!!!" argument.

I forget around here casuals only look at the years and stats they want to look at. 2017 means nothing, lets go back to the year prior. Like I said, picking and choosing. Only idiots do that.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:46 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

I forget around here casuals only look at the years and stats they want to look at. 2017 means nothing, lets go back to the year prior. Like I said, picking and choosing. Only idiots do that.

I think a bigger idiot would look at the year he had in KC, in year 5 with Andy Reid and Dave Nagy, with Tyreek Hill and Kareem Hunt and Travis Kelce, and say, "No reason this can't translate to a new coach and a new city and Ryan Grant and Samaje Perrine and the corpse of Vernon Davis!"
MJW

Postby Naismith » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:20 am

After what he did with Albert Wilson and Charcandrick West and Demetrius Harris in KC?
Naismith

Postby Deuce » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:49 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Yet, you're picking and choosing by selecting ONLY 2017 and ignoring the previous 11 years. You honestly have one of the most "casual" views around here.
Deuce

Postby Pirate Life » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:37 pm

Saying Smith is more mobile than Cousins shows that you haven't watched Washington games much. Cousins can move in the pocket, and he's able to get out and run for a first down or a TD now and then (comparable numbers to Smith over their careers). Jay Gruden's offense doesn't call for a lot of mobility from the QB (please stop now if you want to argue that Gruden's former QB in Cincy Dalton is a mobile QB as he has practically identical stats to Cousins when it comes to rushing), so not sure what the point is there. Toss in Washington's inability to run the ball (Bucs had more rushing yards, first downs by rush and a higher yards per rush) and Smith doesn't look like an upgrade to Cousins when Smith's body of work looks to show he needs a good rushing game and a good defense to be effective. He will have neither in DC unless something major changes before the start of the season - Washington has already said they intend to stand pat with their running backs, so not getting help there.

For supposedly such a good trade, rumors on DC sports radio are that Washington is considering backing out of the trade before it can become official in March. Mostly due to two things: concerns about Smith's ability as a QB without much of a running game (remember Washington was worse than the Bucs in rushing last year) and that they would prefer to keep Fuller as they view him as 'the next Darryl Green' and a better prospect than any other young corner on the team. Combine that with the goofiness of potentially tagging Cousins again and it makes me so happy to not be a Redskins fan.
Pirate Life

Postby Sammich » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:05 pm

If Washington wants a new QB they would be better off just drafting one. This is a good year to do it.
Sammich

Postby Doctor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Sammich wrote:If Washington wants a new QB they would be better off just drafting one. This is a good year to do it.

Perhaps, but you're either getting some leftovers or having to pull off a big trade for one of the top ones. Really, they got Alex Smith for a steal. And once you've moronically decided to more on from Kirk, you could have done a whole lot worse. There will be other QBs and other drafts.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:41 am

Doctor wrote:
Sammich wrote:If Washington wants a new QB they would be better off just drafting one. This is a good year to do it.

Perhaps, but you're either getting some leftovers or having to pull off a big trade for one of the top ones. Really, they got Alex Smith for a steal. And once you've moronically decided to more on from Kirk, you could have done a whole lot worse. There will be other QBs and other drafts.

Alex Smith is good enough to keep them...relevant? They're unlikely to bottom out with him there. Is that worth a 3rd and a really good young corner? Dunno. I'm not a huge fan of playing for 7-9.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:51 am

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:Perhaps, but you're either getting some leftovers or having to pull off a big trade for one of the top ones. Really, they got Alex Smith for a steal. And once you've moronically decided to more on from Kirk, you could have done a whole lot worse. There will be other QBs and other drafts.

Alex Smith is good enough to keep them...relevant? They're unlikely to bottom out with him there. Is that worth a 3rd and a really good young corner? Dunno. I'm not a huge fan of playing for 7-9.

Well then Alex Smith should be your man since he's not lost 9 games in a single season in over decade and that was only once in his sophomore year in the league.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:31 am

Doctor wrote:
MJW wrote:

Well then Alex Smith should be your man since he's not lost 9 games in a single season in over decade and that was only once in his sophomore year in the league.

Alex Smith has been as good as his supporting cast througout his career. His supporting cast in DC is the weakest he's had since he first got to the 49ers. Ergo...
MJW

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:58 am

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:Well then Alex Smith should be your man since he's not lost 9 games in a single season in over decade and that was only once in his sophomore year in the league.

Alex Smith has been as good as his supporting cast througout his career. His supporting cast in DC is the weakest he's had since he first got to the 49ers. Ergo...

Alex Smith is a better QB now than he was in those pre-Harbaugh 49er days also.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:03 am

DreadNaught wrote:
MJW wrote:

Honestly he's a better QB than he was during the Harbaugh days. That's where the "game manager" label came from. Anyone who knows anything about Andy Reid and that system specifically knows a game manager won't cut it.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:20 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Honestly he's a better QB than he was during the Harbaugh days. That's where the "game manager" label came from. Anyone who knows anything about Andy Reid and that system specifically knows a game manager won't cut it.

He is a better QB than he was in his pre-Harbaugh days. But you kind of made my point for me. A game manager WON'T cut it for Andy Reid - and that's why Alex Smith just got traded away and Reid is replacing him with a potential game WINNER in Mahomes.

In Washington, with the mediocre (or worse) skill position talent they have right now, Alex Smith is just good enough to keep them from falling apart.
Last edited by MJW on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:29 am

Apropos of nothing, Alex Smith reminds of that guy or gal you date when you've just been in a bad relationship and now you want stability. You're not going to marry Alex Smith. You're not going to be blissfully happy with Alex Smith. But he's got a steady job and he's not going to cheat on you and he doesn't have many deal-breaking bad habits.

As soon as Jim Harbaugh felt like he had a Superbowl team, he moved on from Alex Smith. As soon as Andy Reid felt like he had a Superbowl team, he moved on from Alex Smith. Now Jay Gruden is up.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:07 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

He is a better QB than he was in his pre-Harbaugh days. But you kind of made my point for me. A game manager WON'T cut it for Andy Reid - and that's why Alex Smith just got traded away and is replacing him with a potential game WINNER in Mahomes.

In Washington, with the mediocre (or worse) skill position talent they have right now, Alex Smith is just good enough to keep them from falling apart.

A game manager doesn't last 5 seasons with Reid either.....Andy Reid wouldn't have traded for a game manager. That he traded a QB in his mid 30s in favor of a younger one is no surprise. Look no one is touting Alex Smith as an elite QB. But what you're suggesting that he's just a game manager is inaccurate. You're also ignoring the things he has done on the field.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:09 am

MJW wrote:Apropos of nothing, Alex Smith reminds of that guy or gal you date when you've just been in a bad relationship and now you want stability. You're not going to marry Alex Smith. You're not going to be blissfully happy with Alex Smith. But he's got a steady job and he's not going to cheat on you and he doesn't have many deal-breaking bad habits.

As soon as Jim Harbaugh felt like he had a Superbowl team, he moved on from Alex Smith. As soon as Andy Reid felt like he had a Superbowl team, he moved on from Alex Smith. Now Jay Gruden is up.

100% agree with this. He's not a guy you build your team around. That doesnt mean he's a game manager though or a bad QB.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:37 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:
He is a better QB than he was in his pre-Harbaugh days. But you kind of made my point for me. A game manager WON'T cut it for Andy Reid - and that's why Alex Smith just got traded away and is replacing him with a potential game WINNER in Mahomes.

A game manager doesn't last 5 seasons with Reid either.....Andy Reid wouldn't have traded for a game manager. That he traded a QB in his mid 30s in favor of a younger one is no surprise. Look no one is touting Alex Smith as an elite QB. But what you're suggesting that he's just a game manager is inaccurate. You're also ignoring the things he has done on the field.

Let's just leave it at this - I don't believe he's good enough to elevate the Redskins into a contender, and that makes me question what their endgame is here. That's all.
MJW

Postby Sammich » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:54 pm

I don't think anybody is saying that Alex Smith is a bad QB. Saying somebody is a game manager isn't an insult- it's just a playstyle. I think people are saying that Cousins, a good young corner, and a draft pick makes them a better overall team than Alex Smith alone.

I believe they downgraded overall. Downgrading your team overall is understandable if you're playing the long game and going with a young/rookie QB or draft picks, but the Redskins did the opposite. Even if you consider Smith equal to Cousins (most don't), they lost two good, young players to go with the older QB. They aren't a team like the Jags trying to capitalize on a window. They are a building team that just gave away building blocks for no reason.
Sammich

Postby Doctor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:21 am

Nick Foles just won a superbowl. Alex Smith can win a superbowl.

Now are the REST of the redskins up for it? I don't know, but hey if the Eagles have shown us anything it's that you can put together a squad out of no where from Free Agency. And if the Redskins have shown us anything in the last twenty years is that they can win the **** out of the Free Agency paper crown.
Doctor

Previous

Return to Team Discussions