XFL: Returning 2020

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: XFL: Returning 2020

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Noles1724 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:You'll see some nfl castoffs in there I think.

Might even get some Tebow Mania.

So we're completely moving away from competing with the NFL from a skills perspective?

I never said the football would be epic.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:59 pm

Just imagine a Freeman vs. Tebow Xtreme Super Bowl.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Rocker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:59 am

IchabodCrane84 wrote:

Stop. My penis can only get so erect.
Rocker

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:46 am

Noles1724 wrote:

So we're completely moving away from competing with the NFL from a skills perspective?

That was never an option. Maybe in a decade, but for now they just need warm bodies on the field and willing eyeballs on the screen.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:46 am

Rocker wrote:
IchabodCrane84 wrote:

Stop. My penis can only get so erect.

They have pills for that.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:49 am

Thoughts:

1) There is absolutely room for another football league in America.
2) That league MUST operate as an NFL minor league to be successful. NOT as a competitor. Think of the NBA's D-League. That league will need the NFL's financial subsidization to survive long enough to get a foothold. Plus, fans would have built-in rooting interests, and hardcores like me would invite the chance to watch "54-90" guys develop and grow. Plus, to take a page from the old XFL, or the UFL, you could assign players based on college proximity.
3) That league should play from April through July, or thereabouts. In the black hole when there is only baseball and lesbian basketball.
4) Obviously, that league should have basically identical rules to the NFL, since it'd be a feeder league. Though it would ALSO be a great platform for testing out new rules and rules tweaks.

There's probably more, but that'd be the way to do it. Obviously, that's not what we're going to get here, because Vince McMahon thinks everyone is stupid and will simply watch it because they'll hate Colin Kaepernick even more than the NFL does.
MJW

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:57 am

As long as they can figure out what a catch is....
Kress

Postby Deuce » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 am

If Tebow and Manziel join the league, I could see the rednecks who hate players kneeling during the anthem really getting into this.

I really wonder about concussions, targeting, concussion protocol, blue tents, etc.
Deuce

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:54 am

Deuce wrote:If Tebow and Manziel join the league, I could see the rednecks who hate players kneeling during the anthem really getting into this.

I really wonder about concussions, targeting, concussion protocol, blue tents, etc.

McMahon is already blathering about how no criminals will be welcome in. I'm not sure how you'd reconcile that stance with Manziel, who has been arrested multiple times for different things.

Of course, Vince McMahon isn't a millionaire a hundred time over because of his integrity.
MJW

Postby Deuce » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:21 am

MJW wrote:
Deuce wrote:If Tebow and Manziel join the league, I could see the rednecks who hate players kneeling during the anthem really getting into this.

McMahon is already blathering about how no criminals will be welcome in. I'm not sure how you'd reconcile that stance with Manziel, who has been arrested multiple times for different things.

Of course, Vince McMahon isn't a millionaire a hundred time over because of his integrity.

Oh yeah...didn't put two and two together. I guess we'll see.
Deuce

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:29 am

One thing the XFL did was innovate a lot of the media side of the game. Things like the spidercam became commonplace in the NFL but we're pioneered by the XFL. I'm hoping Vince goes hard on having a viable streaming option or something.
The Outsider

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:36 am

The Outsider wrote:One thing the XFL did was innovate a lot of the media side of the game. Things like the spidercam became commonplace in the NFL but we're pioneered by the XFL. I'm hoping Vince goes hard on having a viable streaming option or something.

He's already got the technical people in place to bypass traditional broadcasters and stream like he did with the WWE network.

By keeping everything in house, he gets to spread out the costs and revenues for each team and pocket every nickel of advertising.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:37 am

The Outsider wrote:One thing the XFL did was innovate a lot of the media side of the game. Things like the spidercam became commonplace in the NFL but we're pioneered by the XFL. I'm hoping Vince goes hard on having a viable streaming option or something.

In the article I read about it, he said this was going to be one of his primary tasks -- give the fans much more flexibility and choice in camera angles.

It will be cool if the experimentation works. Unfortunately for him though...I"m guessing whatever good comes out of it the NFL can copy quite easily.

---

I have zero desire in this type of thing. I'll watch the NFL because it has the best players on the planet. I'll watch college even though the product is far inferior because it has a bit more creativity then the NFL and I obviously feel a large affinity for my alma mater.

I simply don't see what the XFL, whether it be a developmental league mainly with under 22's or a cast off league like last time, has to offer.

I don't mind no football in the summer.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:57 am

Zarniwoop wrote:

In the article I read about it, he said this was going to be one of his primary tasks -- give the fans much more flexibility and choice in camera angles.

It will be cool if the experimentation works. Unfortunately for him though...I"m guessing whatever good comes out of it the NFL can copy quite easily.

---

I have zero desire in this type of thing. I'll watch the NFL because it has the best players on the planet. I'll watch college even though the product is far inferior because it has a bit more creativity then the NFL and I obviously feel a large affinity for my alma mater.

I simply don't see what the XFL, whether it be a developmental league mainly with under 22's or a cast off league like last time, has to offer.

I'm pretty much in the same camp with this XFL idea. I didn't watch the last one or any of the other iterations either. The only offshoot I ever got behind was the USFL and the fucked that up too.

Now, that said, should my area land a team, I'd be inclined to go see some of the games live. That, perhaps, could up my interest level. But considering the market I live in, that ain't happening.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:57 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I don't mind no football in the summer.

DreadNaught

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:06 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:

---

My point was that the NFL will copy them. I don't have TV of any kind. If this forces the NFL to admit to themselves that having their own in house streaming service will make them enough money to justify having one then maybe I won't have to pirate games every week.
The Outsider

Postby NYBF » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:14 pm

MJW wrote:Thoughts:

1) There is absolutely room for another football league in America.
2) That league MUST operate as an NFL minor league to be successful. NOT as a competitor. Think of the NBA's D-League. That league will need the NFL's financial subsidization to survive long enough to get a foothold. Plus, fans would have built-in rooting interests, and hardcores like me would invite the chance to watch "54-90" guys develop and grow. Plus, to take a page from the old XFL, or the UFL, you could assign players based on college proximity.
3) That league should play from April through July, or thereabouts. In the black hole when there is only baseball and lesbian basketball.
4) Obviously, that league should have basically identical rules to the NFL, since it'd be a feeder league. Though it would ALSO be a great platform for testing out new rules and rules tweaks.

There's probably more, but that'd be the way to do it. Obviously, that's not what we're going to get here, because Vince McMahon thinks everyone is stupid and will simply watch it because they'll hate Colin Kaepernick even more than the NFL does.

Please allow me to introduce you to the FXFL
NYBF

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:21 pm

If someone really wants to start a successful league, then I think the best thing is to go right after the NFL and throw major money at players while hedging your bets by playing in the offseason. You can't start with the superstars, but you can attract quality talent, grow from there, and work to build your own.

Not saying this will be it, or if another league can ever actually thrive, but if it's going to happen it's not going to happen by being a subservient little buddy to the NFL (unless it's owned and ran by the NFL). That's been proven.
Deja Entendu

Postby Cheb » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 pm

Bring back NFL Europe.
Cheb

Postby MikeC » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:46 am

Formula 1 has the best drivers and cars. Yet there is NASCAR.

The NBA has the best players yet there are Euro leagues.

The MLB has the best players yet there is profit in the minor leagues.

It may not draw as well as the NFL, but if they niche it out right, it can succeed. The NFL is at a low point in viewership. People still love football.

Things they could do in the XFL...

1. True region based. If you are from the South, you have to play for a southern team. If you are from the Northeast, you have to play for a NE team.

2. Keep competition regional as well...until the playoffs. Have a 4-team playoff to start....Northeast vs South vs Midwest vs West.

3. Make the league with racial equality. Every team must employ minorities at a set hardened level, from players to coaches to trainers to GMs to owners. Having a lot of lower level talented players (ahem...white folks...gotta have a slightly controversial angle for appeal) will open up some talent diversity and allow for more formations to use that would make the game more interesting from a strategic coaching angle. This could also make stars of running backs again...and linebackers...allow the game to be won with a heavy running attack or a heavy passing attack...

4. Make all contracts weighted from #1 to #53 with salaries having diminishing returns from top to bottom. Every teams #1 Star gets the top contract. When signing a player, no matter what length of contract you sign him to, you must designate which salary slot you assign him to. If it conflicts with a salary spot already taken by another player, you have to release them and let them hit free agency...which will be all the parity you’ll ever need.

5. Ban exclusive rights on all XFL merchandising or logo use. Anybody can sign a license deal.

6. Get deals with a teams local university for medical support and research.

7. Make it a profit sharing league for all employees. Set aside money for marketing and research and maintenance and upkeep and salaries. Then keep a portion for profit sharing for all players. Establish pensions that are evenly distributed to former players based on years of service that fluctuates up or down based on annual profits. If the league takes off, this will appeal to more players to consider the XFL.

8. Keep the rules and fundamental and traditional and as simple to and for the game of football as possible.

9. Avoid big cities or NFL towns for start ups. Look for the niche towns.

10. Make the league and teams open to all investors.

11. Ignore the NFL. Don’t go there and fail like so many others before have. Acknowledge the XFL is not the greatest league. But acknowledge that it’s an amazing league in its own right.

12. Allow the players to remove their helmets at anytime when they are on the field and a play is not progress. For fan recognition.

13. Play games only once per week on a set day or night, don’t spread games out across the week! All teams kick off at the same time and scores from around the league will be finalized at once (or by the end of the day to permit east coast vs west coast time differences).

14. Highlight player stats and team records and accomplishments...and limit the drama stories. All football.

15. Make sure defenses matter and can rule the day more often than in the pass happy NFL.

Basically: Make this league man’s best friend and make it interesting and a little controversial and maybe it stands a chance.
MikeC

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:13 am

Care to expand on point #3 and why it's important?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:25 am

cool looking football

Phantom Phenom

Postby NYBF » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:27 pm

MikeC wrote:
The MLB has the best players yet there is profit in the minor leagues.

The minor leagues are used to develop talent for the majors. This is different from every other example you cited. And there's profit there because the cheap **** owners pay the players a couple thousand bucks for a year's work.
NYBF

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Care to expand on point #3 and why it's important?

Yeah that looks like the drama he is saying he doesn’t want. And it doesn’t make any sense at all.
PrimeMinister

Postby NYBF » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:16 pm

MikeC wrote:

1. True region based. If you are from the South, you have to play for a southern team. If you are from the Northeast, you have to play for a NE team.

2. Keep competition regional as well...until the playoffs. Have a 4-team playoff to start....Northeast vs South vs Midwest vs West.

Yeah, this looks viable.

MikeC wrote:
9. Avoid big cities or NFL towns for start ups. Look for the niche towns.

Can you point to these "not cities" in your Northeast division?
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:20 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Care to expand on point #3 and why it's important?

Yeah that looks like the drama he is saying he doesn’t want. And it doesn’t make any sense at all.

It almost reads like he wants more white players than in the NFL. Which certainly appeals to the target demographic the XFL is looking for.
NYBF

Postby MikeC » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:22 am

Sorry, I’m a board lurker...not a full time poster. :)

#3 just seems to fit the Vince McMahon style of slight controversy...but it can be achieved in a way that is politically correct. Where the NFL lacks in racial disparity at the different roles, the XFL could embrace that and show they want this to be a true representation of the USA. While it might seem “racist” to insist on a percentage of players to be white, it would simply be the same rule in place that would insist that a certain percentage of coaches, managers and owners be a minority.

And for regional considerations...I would prefer the XFL start off in a single region for cost and he try to build the brand before going nationwide.
MikeC

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:59 am

MikeC wrote:Sorry, I’m a board lurker...not a full time poster. :)

#3 just seems to fit the Vince McMahon style of slight controversy...but it can be achieved in a way that is politically correct. Where the NFL lacks in racial disparity at the different roles, the XFL could embrace that and show they want this to be a true representation of the USA. While it might seem “racist” to insist on a percentage of players to be white, it would simply be the same rule in place that would insist that a certain percentage of coaches, managers and owners be a minority.

And for regional considerations...I would prefer the XFL start off in a single region for cost and he try to build the brand before going nationwide.

He would be dooming his product from the start. Vince may be politically conservative (most Pro Wrestlers tend to be), but I doubt he would go that far as to jeopardize his final product to make a political statement.

Vince is going to try to put the best product on the field he can and to do it he'll need to get the best players he can and race is not indicative of success on the football field.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MikeC » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:44 pm

This is probably why I don’t have a successful football league on my resume. Just a random thought while sipping tea and ringing the spoon around the edge...
MikeC

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:49 pm

MikeC wrote:This is probably why I don’t have a successful football league on my resume. Just a random thought while sipping tea and ringing the spoon around the edge...

Don't take it personal, I just didn't agree with your reasoning there.
Mountaineer Buc

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions