Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby The Outsider » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 pm

Teitan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
You call that hostile? My God you must be very threatened by black people in your life. Smh.

Hostile, confrontational, whatever. Not sure what anything has to do with “Black people”.

Dumb black people do often resort to the race card in a hurry.
The Outsider

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:12 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
My posting history on the subject also details reasons such as the move showing they don't have much confidence in his ability to play guard. It's there *****. Go find it and post it here accordingly. Now.

So then you agree with my post?

No. My point about his deficiencies at guard were brought up in the beginning. Like I said go find it.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:13 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Teitan wrote:

Hostile, confrontational, whatever. Not sure what anything has to do with “Black people”.

Dumb black people do often resort to the race card in a hurry.

Stupid ignorant white people think everything black people "resort" to is the racist card.
Bootz2004

Postby Caradoc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:15 pm

Hostile and confrontational black people aside, I think the OP and Pewter Report are wrong:

PrimeMinister wrote:Did the Bucs think Marpet moving to center would be without growing pains? If they believe he can be a great center I can’t support moving him back. At some point shuffling Marpet back and forth is just stunting the growth of one of our top 2 lineman. This feels reactionary. Either Marpet can be a great center or not. The decision should be based on that alone.

As of right now I would say he’s our center, but we will always put our best five out there,” Licht said. “We were happy with his play towards the end of the season before Ali went on IR. Ali is a really, really smart guy, as we all know, but it’s an experience thing when it comes to directing traffic, making the calls, seeing different alignments and fronts and different blitzes and stunts and all those things. It comes with experience and at the end, he was really starting to get that and take a leadership role, which is what the great centers do.

“With that said, we will put our best five out there whatever the combination is. Whether we bring in guys through the draft or free agency, it’s going to be the best five.”

https://www.pewterreport.com/marpet-may ... line-news/

Now put a different emphasis on that sentence:

"Ali is a really, really smart guy, as we all know,but it’s an experience thing when it comes to directing traffic, making the calls, seeing different alignments and fronts and different blitzes and stunts and all those things. It comes with experience and at the end, he was really starting to get that and take a leadership role, which is what the great centers do."

They always planned to move him to center, Warhop has said as much. They may give lip service to the best 5 guys, but they want him at center, and he clearly improved in the role as the season went on and this sounds like nothing more than Licht reviewing his year and progress. Sweezy also started to hit his stride as the season progressed. The weak spot on the line was the Pamphile/Smith combo.
Caradoc

Postby Nano » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Caradoc wrote:Hostile and confrontational black people aside,

Think the politically correct term is Bootzing Americans
Nano

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
So then you agree with my post?

No. My point about his deficiencies at guard were brought up in the beginning. Like I said go find it.

So you're saying you "brought up Marpet's deficiencies at Guard in the beginning" while also taking the repeatedly documented position that he would not be moved to Center?

It seems you're talking in circles *****. If you were pointing out Marpet's deficiencies at Guard from the beginning of the topic of him moving to Center, why were you not atleast somewhat open-minded to the possibility of him switching positions at that time?
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:35 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

So you're saying you "brought up Marpet's deficiencies at Guard in the beginning" while also taking the repeatedly documented position that he would not be moved to Center?

It seems you're talking in circles *****. If you were pointing out Marpet's deficiencies at Guard from the beginning of the topic of him moving to Center, why were you not atleast somewhat open-minded to the possibility of him switching positions?

Let me spell it out. I said initially if they moved him to center it would be because they don't like him enough at guard. However given the fact that he'd never played center I didn't think they'd actually go thru with it. They did and I said it confirmed that they didn't like his flaws at guard. But unfortunately he wasn't much better at center.

It's amazing that you guys would rather argue semantics with me over what I said in the past than you would discuss the topic at hand. Shows real mental weakness in all of you. Sad.
Bootz2004

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:55 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

It seems you're talking in circles *****. If you were pointing out Marpet's deficiencies at Guard from the beginning of the topic of him moving to Center, why were you not atleast somewhat open-minded to the possibility of him switching positions?

Let me spell it out. I said initially if they moved him to center it would be because they don't like him enough at guard. However given the fact that he'd never played center I didn't think they'd actually go thru with it. They did and I said it confirmed that they didn't like his flaws at guard. But unfortunately he wasn't much better at center.

It's amazing that you guys would rather argue semantics with me over what I said in the past than you would discuss the topic at hand. Shows real mental weakness in all of you. Sad.

Prove it, boy.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Prove it, boy.

Which part *****
Bootz2004

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Prove it, boy.

Which part *****

LOL! Take your pick, bitchboy.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:02 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Which part *****

LOL! Take your pick, bitchboy.

No need. You've proven me right.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:12 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I don't think you know what "initially" or "semantics" mean, or you're not using them correctly in that post. Either way it's ironic that you're saying all of us are suffering from mental weakness in the next sentence.

Like I stated previously, you were resistant to the very idea of Marpet playing Center ever since he was drafted, anytime it was mentioned you shot it down and never entertained the possibility. Then finally after it was evident you could no longer defend that position (April of last year according to your posts) you shifted your position to justify your Bootzing (i.e. Marpet isn't good enough at Guard).

Simply search keywords "Marpet Center" authored by "Bootz2004" and start at the oldest ones first (initially) ;).
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:15 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I don't think you know what "initially" or "semantics" mean, or you're not using them correctly in that post. Either way it's ironic that you're saying all of us are suffering from mental weakness in the next sentence.

Like I stated previously, you were resistant to the very idea of Marpet playing Center ever since he was drafted, anytime it was mentioned you shot it down and never entertained the possibility. Then finally after it was evident you could no longer defend that position (April of last year according to your posts) you shifted your position to justify your Bootzing (i.e. Marpet isn't good enough at Guard).

Simply search keywords "Marpet Center" authored by "Bootz2004" and start at the oldest ones first (initially) ;).

WRONG. I was resistant to the idea of moving him up and down the Oline. He was a D3 LT we turned into a right guard and then center. That's ideal to you?? That's what I was resistant to. Go back and see.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:15 pm

42 posts in this thread, and most of it is catty slapfighting.

I hate the offseason around here.
Cheb

Postby Super K » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Cheb wrote:42 posts in this thread, and most of it is catty slapfighting.

Dilly Dilly!
Super K

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Like I stated previously, you were resistant to the very idea of Marpet playing Center ever since he was drafted,

I was resistant to the idea of moving him up and down the Oline.

I'm glad we agree. :D
DreadNaught

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:22 pm

should have set the over under much higher.
Noles1724

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Noles1724 wrote:

should have set the over under much higher.

You're getting your wish, *****.
Bootz2004

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:03 pm

Yeah , I posted about football but nobody wants to talk football
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:05 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
SIBucsFan wrote:
Not much to sign. Weston Richburg will be a free agent, but has head injury concerns. Travis Swanson is a decent center but also has injury concerns. John Sullivan could be available but he will be 33 years old.

I think our best option at this point is to keep Marpet at Center and continue his development at the position.

draft billy price in the 2nd if he is there and sign free agents for the D line like Jags did. Dallas cant keep both David Erving and Demarcus Lawrence . i would be happy with David Erving at DE

Bump
Jason Bourne

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:09 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
draft billy price in the 2nd if he is there and sign free agents for the D line like Jags did. Dallas cant keep both David Erving and Demarcus Lawrence . i would be happy with David Erving at DE

Bump

Billy Price played Guard his first 3 seasons where he started as Freshman before moving to Center as a Senior when Elflein (Vikings) went pro. I'm high on him as a prospect, but he could just as easily be a Guard in the NFL as Center. Really depends on the team needs.

Irving is RFA (similar to Cam Brate) so the Cowboys will place a 1st or 2nd round tender on him and retain for atleast one more season when he would become an UFA. If the Bucs wanted Irving we'd have to offer him a contract and if the Cowboys decided not to match we'd have to also give the Cowboys draft pick compensation. So that is unlikely imo.

Cowboys will tender Irving and franchise tag Lawrence imo. I do think they'll try to get a long term deal done with Lawrence and let Irving walk next offseason.
Last edited by DreadNaught on Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Postby Caradoc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:14 pm

If they put a second round tender on Irving I wouldn't hesitate to make an offer. We are desperate, and that could make a big difference in our draft if - as we all expect - Chubb is gone by our pick.
Caradoc

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:15 pm

Caradoc wrote:If they put a second round tender on Irving I wouldn't hesitate to make an offer. We are desperate, and that could make a big difference in our draft if - as we all expect - Chubb is gone by our pick.

Agreed
Jason Bourne

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Caradoc wrote:If they put a second round tender on Irving I wouldn't hesitate to make an offer. We are desperate, and that could make a big difference in our draft if - as we all expect - Chubb is gone by our pick.

You'd give up the Bucs early 2nd round pick for Irving in addition to whatever financial offer? Seems a bit rich for me.
DreadNaught

Postby Caradoc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:23 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

You'd give up the Bucs early 2nd round pick for Irving in addition to whatever financial offer? Seems a bit rich for me.

Realistically, we aren't likely to get anyone in FA worth a damn, if we did otherwise (Ziggy, Lawrence) I would probably change my mind on that. If we go into the draft with no pass rushers we will either reach on a poor prospect at 7 or trade up and lose more than a 2nd to get Chubb.

This FA and draft suck for pass rushers, I'd rather not be reaching or costing myself future picks out of desperation. Irving isn't ideal, but allows us to pick a potentially elite prospect (Nelson, Fitz?) while still doing our DL a solid.
Caradoc

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Caradoc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Realistically, we aren't likely to get anyone in FA worth a damn, if we did otherwise (Ziggy, Lawrence) I would probably change my mind on that. If we go into the draft with no pass rushers we will either reach on a poor prospect at 7 or trade up and lose more than a 2nd to get Chubb.

This FA and draft suck for pass rushers, I'd rather not be reaching or costing myself future picks out of desperation. Irving isn't ideal, but allows us to pick a potentially elite prospect (Nelson, Fitz?) while still doing our DL a solid.

It certainly wouldn't be a terrible decision given our desperation for pass rush. Just hadn't thought of giving up our 2nd for Irving. Not ideal, but I could get onboard. He looked like an All-Pro vs Godsher a couple years ago lol. But I haven't seen much since then. Doesn't he play more DT now for them in their sub/rush packages?
DreadNaught

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:57 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Caradoc wrote:

It certainly wouldn't be a terrible decision given our desperation for pass rush. Just hadn't thought of giving up our 2nd for Irving. Not ideal, but I could get onboard. He looked like an All-Pro vs Godsher a couple years ago lol. But I haven't seen much since then. Doesn't he play more DT now for them in their sub/rush packages?

Didn't realise he is 6-7 290 lbs .
Jason Bourne

Postby Super K » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:47 pm

No Ryan Jensen love around here? Guy is only 26 and has been pretty solid for Baltimore...

Big boy too...6'4" 320lbs...

I'd LOVE for us to snag him...
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:45 pm

Super K wrote:No Ryan Jensen love around here? Guy is only 26 and has been pretty solid for Baltimore...

Why would they let him walk without a viable replacement?
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:36 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:No Ryan Jensen love around here? Guy is only 26 and has been pretty solid for Baltimore...

Why would they let him walk without a viable replacement?

Just snagged Frank Ragnow C in my sim.
mdb1958

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions