Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
post

Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:10 am

Did the Bucs think Marpet moving to center would be without growing pains? If they believe he can be a great center I can’t support moving him back. At some point shuffling Marpet back and forth is just stunting the growth of one of our top 2 lineman. This feels reactionary. Either Marpet can be a great center or not. The decision should be based on that alone.

As of right now I would say he’s our center, but we will always put our best five out there,” Licht said. “We were happy with his play towards the end of the season before Ali went on IR. Ali is a really, really smart guy, as we all know, but it’s an experience thing when it comes to directing traffic, making the calls, seeing different alignments and fronts and different blitzes and stunts and all those things. It comes with experience and at the end, he was really starting to get that and take a leadership role, which is what the great centers do.

“With that said, we will put our best five out there whatever the combination is. Whether we bring in guys through the draft or free agency, it’s going to be the best five.”


https://www.pewterreport.com/marpet-may ... line-news/
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 6603
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 167 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:28 am

I said all along moving him to center had more to do with his shortcomings as a guard. He's bad at 1 on 1s, negates his own strength by continually dropping his head and not using his hands well. Grabs way too much. He's basically what you get when you draft a guy from a D3 school 2nd round and move him to another position.

There was never any proof or basis for people saying he'd make an "All-Pro Center". It was just a thing to say and it became popular. He didn't play Center in college he was a LT. Didn't even play guard. Moving him to Center was done to cover up his flaws but unfortunately he's terrible at snapping the ball, late out of his stance and over compensated by holding and forgetting his technique. At this point put him back at guard and stick with it the best we can.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 20160
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby NYBF » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am

Bootz2004 wrote:I said all along moving him to center had more to do with his shortcomings as a guard.


No. You said all along he would never play center.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 4511
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 169 times
Been thanked: 383 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:34 am

NYBF wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:I said all along moving him to center had more to do with his shortcomings as a guard.


No. You said all along he would never play center.


I also gave reasons why. So go ahead and fetch my posts, bitchboy. It's all you're good for around here. Go get em, boy!
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 20160
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby NYBF » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:35 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
NYBF wrote:
No. You said all along he would never play center.


I also gave reasons why.


You did not.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 4511
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 169 times
Been thanked: 383 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:36 am

NYBF wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
I also gave reasons why.


You did not.


I said go fetch the posts, bitchboy. You stalling.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 20160
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:37 am

saw the thread title and knew Bootz would be here to wave the I-told-you-so flag.

now what's the over under on how many pages of a pissing match this becomes? 4pg?
Image
Noles1724
 
Posts: 1666
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Super K » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:38 am

Bootz2004 wrote:he's terrible at snapping the ball, late out of his stance and over compensated by holding and forgetting his technique. At this point put him back at guard and stick with it the best we can.


This...all of it...

Put him back at guard and either sign a real center in FA or roll with Hawley...
Super K
 
Posts: 5658
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:48 am

Noles1724 wrote:saw the thread title and knew Bootz would be here to wave the I-told-you-so flag.

now what's the over under on how many pages of a pissing match this becomes? 4pg?


Only as many pages as people like NY and you will take it. You'd rather argue with me about semantics instead of the point of the matter, I'm more than happy to oblige. You want to talk about the main topic, I'd rather do that.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 20160
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Nano » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:49 am

Starting to wonder if we'll actually re-sign him. We can't seem to figure out where we want to keep him on the line and his development has stagnated since his rookie season.
User avatar
Nano
 
Posts: 6495
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm
Location: Somewhere above Tampa
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:50 am

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:he's terrible at snapping the ball, late out of his stance and over compensated by holding and forgetting his technique. At this point put him back at guard and stick with it the best we can.


This...all of it...

Put him back at guard and either sign a real center in FA or roll with Hawley...


I'd rather the former. We've seen the best we're going to see from Hawley.

Licht doesn't just say things like this without action. We might already have our LG on the roster in the form of Ali Marpet. Hopefully he can get better at being a guard because as a Center, all of those bad snaps won't cut it.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 20160
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Swashy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:50 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:saw the thread title and knew Bootz would be here to wave the I-told-you-so flag.

now what's the over under on how many pages of a pissing match this becomes? 4pg?


Only as many pages as people like NY and you will take it. You'd rather argue with me about semantics instead of the point of the matter, I'm more than happy to oblige. You want to talk about the main topic, I'd rather do that.


My man.... no you didn't. No you just ****ing DIDN'T!!!!
Swashy
 
Posts: 3032
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:52 am

I think it's interesting that OBP seems more pleased and comfortable with Donovan Smith than they do Ali Marpet. The fanbase is the exact opposite.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 20160
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:11 pm

marpet needs to stay at RG. He could be a pro bowl RG . sign a center and draft LG Nelson and we have a stud Oline .
Jason Bourne
 
Posts: 2972
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:47 am
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:saw the thread title and knew Bootz would be here to wave the I-told-you-so flag.

now what's the over under on how many pages of a pissing match this becomes? 4pg?


Only as many pages as people like NY and you will take it. You'd rather argue with me about semantics instead of the point of the matter, I'm more than happy to oblige. You want to talk about the main topic, I'd rather do that.


umm I don't typically argue with you.. but I guess we can argue about that too if you'd like.
Image
Noles1724
 
Posts: 1666
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby NYBF » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:You'd rather argue with me about semantics


viewtopic.php?p=180703#p180703

Image
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 4511
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 169 times
Been thanked: 383 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:31 pm

NYBF wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:I said all along moving him to center had more to do with his shortcomings as a guard.


No. You said all along he would never play center.


Indeed. I don't mind the Bootz namecalling. Pretty sure he's called me a bitch in the past and I've somehow been able to press forward in life.

Bootz2004 wrote:
DominatingD55 wrote:Isn't Marpet moving to Center?

No

Bootz2004 wrote:Should put all of this "Ali Marpet is moving to Center" talk to bed for good now.

Bootz2004 wrote:Marpet aint moving to center.


As far as the OP, Until we add someone to the roster to justify moving Marpet from Center it's just offseason chatter. Like the first sentence of the quote states "As of right now I would say he’s our center".
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 9937
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 396 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby SIBucsFan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:marpet needs to stay at RG. He could be a pro bowl RG . sign a center and draft LG Nelson and we have a stud Oline .


Not much to sign. Weston Richburg will be a free agent, but has head injury concerns. Travis Swanson is a decent center but also has injury concerns. John Sullivan could be available but he will be 33 years old.


I think our best option at this point is to keep Marpet at Center and continue his development at the position.
User avatar
SIBucsFan
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:40 am
Has thanked: 260 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:38 pm

NYBF wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:You'd rather argue with me about semantics


viewtopic.php?p=180703#p180703

Image



**** just got real
Jason Bourne
 
Posts: 2972
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:47 am
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:45 pm

SIBucsFan wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:marpet needs to stay at RG. He could be a pro bowl RG . sign a center and draft LG Nelson and we have a stud Oline .


Not much to sign. Weston Richburg will be a free agent, but has head injury concerns. Travis Swanson is a decent center but also has injury concerns. John Sullivan could be available but he will be 33 years old.


I think our best option at this point is to keep Marpet at Center and continue his development at the position.


draft billy price in the 2nd if he is there and sign free agents for the D line like Jags did. Dallas cant keep both David Erving and Demarcus Lawrence . i would be happy with David Erving at DE
Jason Bourne
 
Posts: 2972
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:47 am
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:51 pm

Noles1724 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Only as many pages as people like NY and you will take it. You'd rather argue with me about semantics instead of the point of the matter, I'm more than happy to oblige. You want to talk about the main topic, I'd rather do that.


umm I don't typically argue with you.. but I guess we can argue about that too if you'd like.


You're doing it now without realizing it, *****.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 20160
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:55 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
NYBF wrote:
No. You said all along he would never play center.


Indeed. I don't mind the Bootz namecalling. Pretty sure he's called me a bitch in the past and I've somehow been able to press forward in life.

Bootz2004 wrote:No

Bootz2004 wrote:Should put all of this "Ali Marpet is moving to Center" talk to bed for good now.

Bootz2004 wrote:Marpet aint moving to center.


As far as the OP, Until we add someone to the roster to justify moving Marpet from Center it's just offseason chatter. Like the first sentence of the quote states "As of right now I would say he’s our center".


If you're going to get involved why not tell the full story instead of the parts you want to. You make yourself look stupid.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 20160
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:55 pm

NYBF wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:You'd rather argue with me about semantics


viewtopic.php?p=180703#p180703

Image


Tell the entire story, bitchboy. You're embarrassing yourself.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 20160
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Teitan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:57 pm

The only person embarrassing himself is the one using the term “bitchboy” repeatedly and becoming hostile on a message board.
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 3305
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:59 pm

Teitan wrote:The only person embarrassing himself is the one using the term “bitchboy” repeatedly and becoming hostile on a message board.


HEY! don't ruin our fun!!!
Image
Noles1724
 
Posts: 1666
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:07 pm

Teitan wrote:The only person embarrassing himself is the one using the term “bitchboy” repeatedly and becoming hostile on a message board.


You call that hostile? My God you must be very threatened by black people in your life. Smh.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 20160
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Teitan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Teitan wrote:The only person embarrassing himself is the one using the term “bitchboy” repeatedly and becoming hostile on a message board.


You call that hostile? My God you must be very threatened by black people in your life. Smh.



Hostile, confrontational, whatever. Not sure what anything has to do with “Black people”.
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 3305
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:15 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:If you're going to get involved why not tell the full story instead of the parts you want to. You make yourself look stupid.


The full story as your posting history on subject of 'Marpet moving to Center' shows is that you originally took the position (repeatedly) that it would never happen when the subject originally was brought up here. Then, as the off-season progressed and only after there was such an overwhelming amount of evidence that Marpet was in-fact moving to Center you shifted your position to 'they are moving him to cover his weaknesses as a Guard', and it was only at that point when you were forced to shift your previously debunked argument that you offered "reasons why".

Had you just taken the position you eventually shifted to from the beginning nobody would be busting you balls. But you made your own bed here *****.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 9937
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 396 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:27 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:If you're going to get involved why not tell the full story instead of the parts you want to. You make yourself look stupid.


The full story as your posting history on subject of 'Marpet moving to Center' shows is that you originally took the position (repeatedly) that it would never happen when the subject originally was brought up here. Then, as the off-season progressed and only after there was such an overwhelming amount of evidence that Marpet was in-fact moving to Center you shifted your position to 'they are moving him to cover his weaknesses as a Guard', and it was only at that point when you were forced to shift your previously debunked argument that you offered "reasons why".

Had you just taken the position you eventually shifted to from the beginning nobody would be busting you balls. But you made your own bed here *****.


My posting history on the subject also details reasons such as the move showing they don't have much confidence in his ability to play guard. It's there *****. Go find it and post it here accordingly. Now.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 20160
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Marpet may be moving back to Guard

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:38 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
The full story as your posting history on subject of 'Marpet moving to Center' shows is that you originally took the position (repeatedly) that it would never happen when the subject originally was brought up here. Then, as the off-season progressed and only after there was such an overwhelming amount of evidence that Marpet was in-fact moving to Center you shifted your position to 'they are moving him to cover his weaknesses as a Guard', and it was only at that point when you were forced to shift your previously debunked argument that you offered "reasons why".

Had you just taken the position you eventually shifted to from the beginning nobody would be busting you balls. But you made your own bed here *****.


My posting history on the subject also details reasons such as the move showing they don't have much confidence in his ability to play guard. It's there *****. Go find it and post it here accordingly. Now.


So then you agree with my post?
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 9937
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 396 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Next

post

Return to Team Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bootz2004 and 19 guests