Well, so much for PFF ratings!

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Well, so much for PFF ratings!

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:03 pm

I've never thought much of those ratings...but you guys all seem to be criticizing a point that isn't actually all that bad IMO.

From what I understand it, the PFF numbers are ratings, not rankings. Just like a QB Rating is simply a rating. So if some wideout throws a pass for a 30 yard touchdown and that is his only pass for the entire year his rating is 158.3. Which is the maximum you can get. That number doesn't mean he is better than Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers because he has a higher number...his rating doesn't go down simply because he only threw one pass.

From what I gathered (I very well could be wrong here because I have never given two shits about actually doing any research on this), is that PFF starts people at 50, instead of 0 like the QB Rating number does. So if a player is considered to have a net positive impact he will be above 50, a net negative impact will be below 50.

PFF's biggest weakness IMO is that they assume they knew what each player's responsibility/assignment was when they watch the play. And they grade the player against what their perception of his responsibility/assignment was.
Zarniwoop

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:05 pm

The problem is the number of rings on your fingers. This is why it's ridiculous.
Kress

Postby Super K » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:06 pm

This thread needs to be stickied...it has unified the board against a common enemy like our own little Kumbaya session..

Whenever we are at each other's throats someone needs to bump it accordingly...

Edit: and then Zarni had to come in and **** everything up by siding with those Jezebels over at PFF...ya ****

Alrighty, back to the pointless arguing, name calling etc..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Super K wrote:This thread needs to be stickied...it has unified the board against a common enemy like our own little Kumbaya session..

Edit: and then Zarni had to come in and **** everything up by siding with those Jezebels over at PFF...ya ****

Hold my beer
Bootz2004

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Super K wrote:This thread needs to be stickied...it has unified the board against a common enemy like our own little Kumbaya session..

I said I don't like the ratings ... I just don't like them for a different reason :P
Zarniwoop

Postby Deuce » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:42 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I've never thought much of those ratings...but you guys all seem to be criticizing a point that isn't actually all that bad IMO.

From what I understand it, the PFF numbers are ratings, not rankings. Just like a QB Rating is simply a rating. So if some wideout throws a pass for a 30 yard touchdown and that is his only pass for the entire year his rating is 158.3. Which is the maximum you can get. That number doesn't mean he is better than Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers because he has a higher number...his rating doesn't go down simply because he only threw one pass.

From what I gathered (I very well could be wrong here because I have never given two shits about actually doing any research on this), is that PFF starts people at 50, instead of 0 like the QB Rating number does. So if a player is considered to have a net positive impact he will be above 50, a net negative impact will be below 50.

PFF's biggest weakness IMO is that they assume they knew what each player's responsibility/assignment was when they watch the play. And they grade the player against what their perception of his responsibility/assignment was.

Don't try to talk sense into these people.
Deuce

Postby Rocker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

Hold my beer

Bravo.
Rocker

Postby DanTurksGhost » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Kress wrote:I'm rated as the best tackle in the game. I didn't give up a single sack. All season. Not one.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you even gave up a single pressure.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Caradoc » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:15 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I've never thought much of those ratings...but you guys all seem to be criticizing a point that isn't actually all that bad IMO.

While I agree with the accuracy of your point - it is just a score - I think it misses the issue people have with it. PFF likes to pass itself off as a statistical organization. As you know, you need a certain amount of data points before coming to any conclusion from statistics. Even league stats will say things like "QB rank by passer rating (minimum 200 attempts)" in recognition of this. The problem here is there is no acknowledgement of the lack of plays, which should be in the forefront. And it's not just Ross, other players with tiny sample sizes are ranked higher than one would think because of that issue. The impression of that graph is therefore at odds with what it actually "measures".

Personally, I think PFF is, for the most part, an interesting organization with a ton of good info (sadly now overpriced), but their grades are pure garbage.
Caradoc

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:19 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:
Kress wrote:I'm rated as the best tackle in the game. I didn't give up a single sack. All season. Not one.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you even gave up a single pressure.

I can tell you watch tape. Not many would catch that.
PrimeMinister

Postby Four Verticals » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:
Four Verticals wrote:Which might have been better but still incorrect. I've never understood anyone who follows these nitwits and their analysis.

I agree. But if they feel the need to respond, that's a lot better than trying to quantify their rating with this negative plays BS. Frankly, Howard was right about where I expected him to be in year one. I said about 35 catches, around 500 yards, a couple of TD's. As far as I'm concerned, he's right on the mark.

I'm in agreement all around.
Four Verticals

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Jerry Rice never even scored on me.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Selmon Rules » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:47 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Jerry Rice never even scored on me.

Hel, Montana never even tried to throw to him against me, lol
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby RedLeader » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:41 am

RedLeader wrote:By that measure, I guess even I graded out higher than Howard this season....?

**** ya!

Glad to see this joke finally got traction on page 2...

Carry on.
RedLeader

Postby Mex-Buc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:05 pm

So OJ is at the bottom of the pile, but Ayers is our 3rd best graded player? :lol:

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/953352913728000000

What a joke..
Mex-Buc

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:44 pm

I think PFF might be dead on this board now.
PrimeMinister

Postby Kress » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:28 pm

It seems like they're gaining traction. In a Kardashian train wreck way, but still.
Kress

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Kress wrote:It seems like they're gaining traction. In a Kardashian train wreck way, but still.

“All publicity...” I guess.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:05 am

Kress wrote:It seems like they're gaining traction. In a Kardashian train wreck way, but still.

The networks have caught on to them because they work great for letting casual fans know if a guy is good or not. They've been using QB Rating that way for quarterbacks for years and years. Now they can throw a PFF rating up there for every position and instantly the guy watching at home knows if the guard he's never heard of is good (or THINKS he knows.)

You know the secret of the NFL's success? It never stops trying to make itself accessible to people who don't really care about it.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:43 am

MJW wrote:

The networks have caught on to them because they work great for letting casual fans know if a guy is good or not. They've been using QB Rating that way for quarterbacks for years and years. Now they can throw a PFF rating up there for every position and instantly the guy watching at home knows if the guard he's never heard of is good (or THINKS he knows.)

You know the secret of the NFL's success? It never stops trying to make itself accessible to people who don't really care about it.

Very well put.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Teitan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:49 am

MJW wrote:

Also, Chris Collinsworth owns it, so he loves to use them during broadcast.
Teitan

Postby Kress » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:57 am

MJW wrote:

Very true. Look at the Super Bowl commercial mania. People watch just for the commercials. And the random prop bets about the color of the Gatorade and stuff. It's a three ring circus that every person wants to see, football fan or not.
Kress

Postby bearlandbucfan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:41 am

This logic is the most idiotic I have ever seen. The dude doesn't look like he should be grading a Table Top D&D Match much less anything at all sports-related.
bearlandbucfan

Postby MJW » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:03 am

Teitan wrote:
MJW wrote:

Also, Chris Collinsworth owns it, so he loves to use them during broadcast.

Honestly had no idea. Makes sense.
MJW

Previous

Return to Team Discussions