Well, so much for PFF ratings!

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Well, so much for PFF ratings!

Postby DanTurksGhost » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:05 pm

Ha ha! PFF ranked the 2017 first round picks at the end of the regular season and Bucs #19 overall pick OJ Howard got THE LOWEST RANKING OF ANYONE TAKEN IN THE FIRST ROUND. Incredibly, the genius behind this first round grading system rated Bengals WR John Ross, a wide receiver with ZERO CATCHES all season (and a fumble on top of it) HIGHER than OJ Howard.

If anyone anywhere needed any proof that these PFF ratings are a joke, this should be all the evidence they need.

DanTurksGhost

Re: Well, so much for PFF ratings!

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:14 pm

PFF is and will always be subjective crap.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:PFF is and will always be subjective crap.

So much this...

For folks who know football, if this doesn't turn you off from their BS, I don't know what will...

Alas, the uninformed, uneducated, fantasy football superstars that keep PFF in business will take this as the Holy Grail...
Super K

Postby Mex-Buc » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 pm

Even Mike Williams who only started 1 game and went the whole season with 11 catches for 95 yds without a TD got a higher grade than OJ..

:lol: What a ****ing joke!!!
Mex-Buc

Postby DanTurksGhost » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Super K wrote:
For folks who know football, if this doesn't turn you off from their BS, I don't know what will...

Alas, the uninformed, uneducated, fantasy football superstars that keep PFF in business will take this as the Holy Grail...

They also rated Watson behind Trubisky and Mahomes. Like, WTF?

(edited: "rated" not "ranted")
DanTurksGhost

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:15 pm

I like this thread!! Not a fan off PFF being anything more than a small data point. Way too subjective and often times we/they don't know the players responsibility on a given play.

I'll say something positive in that PFF is better in some areas than they are in others in terms positions they grade.
DreadNaught

Postby DanTurksGhost » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I like this thread!! Not a fan off PFF being anything more than a small data point. Way too subjective and often times we/they don't know the players responsibility on a given play.

I'll say something positive in that PFF is better in some areas than they are in others in terms positions they grade.

I've seen some pretty decent ratings from them. But then again, that's probably just my confirmation bias at work. I agreed with their rating, so I considered their rating credible. I disagree with this one -- vehemently -- and therefore it is NOT credible.
DanTurksGhost

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:41 pm

I was wondering when someone would post this here.

This is one of PFF’s worst moments. It was funny watching them on Twitter try to explain the discrepancy between OJ and Ross.
PrimeMinister

Postby DanTurksGhost » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:I was wondering when someone would post this here.

This is one of PFF’s worst moments. It was funny watching them on Twitter try to explain the discrepancy between OJ and Ross.

I don't twitter. How'd they explain it?
DanTurksGhost

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:00 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:

Image Image
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:02 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:

They basically said Ross only had a few plays so he had less negative points as they grade on a +2,+1,0,-1,-2 basis. They said Howard stunk as a blocker, had 3 fumbles, some drops. So while he did have good plays, he had more bad plays. They also said TDs just count as a good play when arguing why Mahommes and Trubisky were ahead of Watkins. They said that Watkins threw many interceptable balls that his WR bailed him out on. Even though they may have been touchdowns the bad throw would be a - play. They also deduct points for time in the pocket, not seeing open receivers, etc. Basically no one on twitter was praising them, lol.

edit: Damn Prime...I don't know how to do that. Did you snip it and add it to photobucket (or equivalent)?
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:03 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:

They basically said Ross only had a few plays so he had less negative points as they grade on a +2,+1,0,-1,-2 basis. They said Howard stunk as a blocker, had 3 fumbles, some drops. So while he did have good plays, he had more bad plays. They also said TDs just count as a good play when arguing why Mahommes and Trubisky were ahead of Watkins. They said that Watkins threw many interceptable balls that his WR bailed him out on. Even though they may have been touchdowns the bad throw would be a - play. They also deduct points for time in the pocket, not seeing open receivers, etc. Basically no one on twitter was praising them, lol.

They were getting destroyed lol. The Evan Engram vs Ross thread was fun.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:05 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:

edit: Damnit Prime...I don't know how to do that. Did you snip it and add it to photobucket (or equivalent)?

I’m on my phone 99% of the time so I screenshot, click “show full version” or something similar at the bottom of the screen, click “add to tinypic” and upload.
PrimeMinister

Postby DanTurksGhost » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:14 pm

What a dumb explanation! Ross had one touch and it was a fumble. He had a 100% failure rate! Oh well, they should have just said "Howard didn't live up to his potential" or something like that.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Four Verticals » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:27 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:What a dumb explanation! Ross had one touch and it was a fumble. He had a 100% failure rate! Oh well, they should have just said "Howard didn't live up to his potential" or something like that.

Which might have been better but still incorrect. I've never understood anyone who follows these nitwits and their analysis.

PFF has been criticized by the analytics community regarding the accuracy and veracity of its ratings.[7] In contrast to the purely quantitative ratings released by sources like Football Outsiders, TeamRankings, and numberFire, PFF uses qualitative and opinion-based grading as the root of their ratings. As such, the ratings are not truly quantitative and could be seen as being prone to bias, poor sample sizing, or other issues.

Such as not having a clue.
Four Verticals

Postby Super K » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:28 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:What a dumb explanation! Ross had one touch and it was a fumble. He had a 100% failure rate! Oh well, they should have just said "Howard didn't live up to his potential" or something like that.

No, what they should've done was STFU...because any ounce of credibility they had left just went swirling down the toilet...

They are now a less fun, and probably less accurate, form of Madden grades...

I don't have **** to do tonight, I'm gonna go troll them on Twitter some..
Super K

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:50 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:

Image Image

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read.
theBKwhopper

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:06 am

This is the kind of response you usually get from a haughty politician defending bad legislation to someone affected by it.
MJW

Postby RedLeader » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:14 am

By that measure, I guess even I graded out higher than Howard this season....?

**** ya!

Honey, grab the kids, we’re going to Denny’s tonight!!
RedLeader

Postby BigIrv9 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:26 am

It’s nice to finally see the whole board come together in agreement on something.
BigIrv9

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:46 am

I don't know which is worse. That PFF grade and subsequent explanation, or the asshat at TBT trying to explain why PFF was right.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Konatown » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:11 am

Remember when Anthony Collins was one of the highest rated LT and we signed him? Good times
Konatown

Postby DanTurksGhost » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 am

Four Verticals wrote:Which might have been better but still incorrect. I've never understood anyone who follows these nitwits and their analysis.

I agree. But if they feel the need to respond, that's a lot better than trying to quantify their rating with this negative plays BS. Frankly, Howard was right about where I expected him to be in year one. I said about 35 catches, around 500 yards, a couple of TD's. As far as I'm concerned, he's right on the mark.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Konatown » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:57 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:
Four Verticals wrote:Which might have been better but still incorrect. I've never understood anyone who follows these nitwits and their analysis.

I agree. But if they feel the need to respond, that's a lot better than trying to quantify their rating with this negative plays BS. Frankly, Howard was right about where I expected him to be in year one. I said about 35 catches, around 500 yards, a couple of TD's. As far as I'm concerned, he's right on the mark.

Agreed, Howard has a fine rookie season. A few hiccups here and there but was overall solid and showed glimpses of why he was a highly touted prospect. I expect year two to be even better.
Konatown

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:02 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:

Image Image

LMAO!! ****ing idiot! Howard graded lower because he was on the field more! So if a 1st round pick didn't play at all they'd have the highest grade of the class right?
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Yep. Makes their grades worthless.
PrimeMinister

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm rated as the best tackle in the game. I didn't give up a single sack. All season. Not one.
Kress

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:08 pm

Kress wrote:I'm rated as the best tackle in the game. I didn't give up a single sack. All season. Not one.

I got you beat! I didn't drop a pass, fumble, have anu negative runs or penalties this season!!
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Kress wrote:I'm rated as the best tackle in the game. I didn't give up a single sack. All season. Not one.

I got you beat! I didn't drop a pass, fumble, have anu negative runs or penalties this season!!

Yeah well I don't even play football so obviously I'll never have a negative play, so I am the new GOAT..

Suck it Brady..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Super K wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Yeah well I don't even play football so obviously I'll never have a negative play, so I am the new GOAT..

Suck it Brady..

Dammit. Winner
Bootz2004

Next

Return to Team Discussions