Le'Veon Bell: Retirement?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Le'Veon Bell: Retirement?

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Bell said he's comfortable with his legacy, he's made plenty of money and is only playing football because he loves it. He said if the Steelers don't value him enough to sign him long term for what he thinks he's worth (about $17mil apy) and tag him again that he'd retire.

He has several things going in his favor. 1st he's the only skills position player in football with 400+ touches. He's just 26 and has avoided major hits and injuries. No one questions his production and he's the best RB today. The price tag is steep for the position though and you can find RBs from anywhere as long as you have a quality Oline. But Bell is a special 1 of a kind impact player. So who do you side with in this discussion?
Bootz2004

Re: Le'Veon Bell: Retirement?

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:46 pm

I wouldn’t sign him for anywhere near $17M APY.
PrimeMinister

Postby Swashy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Well **** nothing stopped us from paying Revis $17 million so I suppose anything is possible for Bell.
Swashy

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Winston-Bell-Barkley-Evans-Godwin

Sign him! DOM!
Phantom Phenom

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:07 pm

He turned down 15 mill per year so it's not a total bluff, but I don't think he will retire.
uscbucsfan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:13 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Winston-Bell-Evans-DJax-Howard-Godwin

Sign him! DOM!

FIFY. If we acquired Bell we aren't taking another RB 7th overall.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:22 pm

If he wants to retire, good on him. He's made enough money to not work another day in his life, if he so chooses and if he's invested wisely.
Cheb

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:56 pm

I don't really get his point. If he's made enough money and is only playing because of his love for the game, then why is he refusing to play for anything less than $17mil? Just play because you love the game.
theBKwhopper

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Yeah, I’m not sure I followed that logic either
Zarniwoop

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:13 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:I don't really get his point. If he's made enough money and is only playing because of his love for the game, then why is he refusing to play for anything less than $17mil? Just play because you love the game.

People who love what they do still want to feel appreciated and valued. Society has gotten to a point where if you say you love your job the expectation is you should do it for less than what you're worth or for free. No. If you love what you do and you're good at it then it should be recognized. Why can't Bell be recognized?
Bootz2004

Postby MikeC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Yep. In the OP he does exclaim that it’s a valuation issue. I’m sure he’s been watching Shark Tank. Can’t blame him because he also is saying he loves the game.
MikeC

Postby Fiasco » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:56 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:I don't really get his point. If he's made enough money and is only playing because of his love for the game, then why is he refusing to play for anything less than $17mil? Just play because you love the game.

Lol, seriously?
Fiasco

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:02 pm

I would love to negotiate with you across the table.
PrimeMinister

Postby terrytate » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:05 pm

In his own words..

"I just want to be valued where I'm at," Bell told Fowler. "If I am playing this game, I want to set standards for all the other running backs behind me like Todd Gurley and Ezekiel Elliott, Melvin Gordon, guys like that. I'm a guy they can kind of look at. I feel I can do that. I'm in a position where I can do that and I'm going to do it."

I am curious how Big Ben will affect Bell. If Ben actually does retire, would they then let Bell walk and start a reloading process or pay him and try and keep this ship running as is with whatever QB they could get. If Ben does call it a day, I'd have to imagine they would be talking to Kirk Cousin's agent inside of 5 minutes. How much does Bell being on the team factor into whether a guy like Cousins would sign there.

If I were the Steelers, if I couldn't get him to agree to a deal I can live with I can't see a reason not to use the tag on him. Either he plays under the tag, he doesn't sign and sits/retires or I find a sign and trade partner and demand a 1st rounder. Seems like a better option then just letting him walk and getting nothing.
terrytate

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:58 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

People who love what they do still want to feel appreciated and valued. Society has gotten to a point where if you say you love your job the expectation is you should do it for less than what you're worth or for free. No. If you love what you do and you're good at it then it should be recognized. Why can't Bell be recognized?

Here's one more try.

He only plays the game anymore because he loves and doesn't need anymore money. Yet, he's willing to stop playing if he doesn't get more money. Paid like a QB, nonetheless. I don't buy it.
theBKwhopper

Postby theBKwhopper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 am

The guy gave up $15m a year because it didn't meet his $17m asking price? Yeah, but he doesn't play for the money...
theBKwhopper

Postby Super K » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:06 am

theBKwhopper wrote:The guy gave up $15m a year because it didn't meet his $17m asking price? Yeah, but he doesn't play for the money...

Dude, give the guy a break...

Gettin top end weed and hookers on McKnight Road in Pittsburgh is expensive...

Blount isn't there to go halfsy's anymore...
Super K

Postby theBKwhopper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:25 am

Super K wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:The guy gave up $15m a year because it didn't meet his $17m asking price? Yeah, but he doesn't play for the money...

Dude, give the guy a break...

Gettin top end weed and hookers on McKnight Road in Pittsburgh is expensive...

Blount isn't there to go halfsy's anymore...

Haha!
theBKwhopper

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:28 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Bell said he's comfortable with his legacy, he's made plenty of money and is only playing football because he loves it. He said if the Steelers don't value him enough to sign him long term for what he thinks he's worth (about $17mil apy) and tag him again that he'd retire.

He has several things going in his favor. 1st he's the only skills position player in football with 400+ touches. He's just 26 and has avoided major hits and injuries. No one questions his production and he's the best RB today. The price tag is steep for the position though and you can find RBs from anywhere as long as you have a quality Oline. But Bell is a special 1 of a kind impact player. So who do you side with in this discussion?

I am the absolutely grand master of "Anybody can play running back if you can block, so don't over-invest on them."

I mean, I am to this mantra what Marx was to Marxism. We talk about the folly of spending on running backs over Christmas dinner. If we have another kid, I'm naming it, "Day Three Back."

...But man, Le'Veon Bell is a special talent. I think he's the best running back in football, and only David Johnson is close. He's also one of the most fun players to watch in the entire league. In terms of pure talent, for me he's in the conversation with the All-Time greats. If you break down his production, he's been worth 129 scrimmage yards per game in his career. That's not a typo or a miscalculation. Emmitt Smith was worth 95 yards per game. Barry Sanders? 119 YPG. Marshall Faulk 109, LaDanian Tomlinson also 109.

So...I'm not going to answer the question...but I can't say I'd be upset if it were answered for me.
MJW

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:05 am

He only has a few more years where people will be willing to pay him that. I think signing him to a 1 or 2 year contract at that price would be a good deal. You know you’d get his best as he’d be looking for another payday.
Brazen331

Postby MarineBuc » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:48 am

There is NOT ONE single RB worth $17M a year, IMO! RBs are subject to entirely too much punishment to invest that kind of cash. It just doesn't make sense in the big scheme of things...it's too much money for a guy that won't see the field for all 16 games. Those $$$ are better served to build your interior lines.
MarineBuc

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:22 am

MarineBuc wrote:There is NOT ONE single RB worth $17M a year, IMO! RBs are subject to entirely too much punishment to invest that kind of cash. It just doesn't make sense in the big scheme of things...it's too much money for a guy that won't see the field for all 16 games. Those $$$ are better served to build your interior lines.

In response to this specifically, Bell is different. He doesn't take all of the big hits most RBs take. In fact I rarely see him get popped. His patience and vision as well as his ability to slip tackles doesn't subject him to those hard hits. There are flaws to that but as far as he's concerned, Bell don't get rocked.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:31 am

The Steelers are not the same team without Leveon Bell.

Without Bell teams will key on AB and thus Ben won't get the man-free and vanilla zone looks they get now due to teams committing an 8th man in box most of the time.

Watch the Steelers play, if a team has 2 deep safeties Ben audibles to a run and it's 4-5yds a pop. Bell makes things easy for your QB/offense.

Is he worth $15-17m? Probably not. But I'd argue he's been significantly underpaid his entire career before playing on the FT in 2017. So maybe the balance should shift and he deserves to be overpaid for a year or 2 while he's still on the good side of 30.
DreadNaught

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:22 pm

DreadNaught wrote:The Steelers are not the same team without Leveon Bell.

Without Bell teams will key on AB and thus Ben won't get the man-free and vanilla zone looks they get now due to teams committing an 8th man in box most of the time.

Watch the Steelers play, if a team has 2 deep safeties Ben audibles to a run and it's 4-5yds a pop. Bell makes things easy for your QB/offense.

Is he worth $15-17m? Probably not. But I'd argue he's been significantly underpaid his entire career before playing on the FT in 2017. So maybe the balance should shift and he deserves to be overpaid for a year or 2 while he's still on the good side of 30.

Will Big Ben return next year ?

I heard he considered to retire
Phantom Phenom

Postby KiffininCanton » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:28 pm

among all the reasons to hate millennial athletes, their constant talk of "my legacy" has to be the worst.
KiffininCanton

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:38 am

KiffininCanton wrote:among all the reasons to hate millennial athletes, their constant talk of "my legacy" has to be the worst.

Like when Kareem Abdul Jabbar had his "retirement tour" final season.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Cheb » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:49 am

KiffininCanton wrote:among all the reasons to hate millennial athletes, their constant talk of "my legacy" has to be the worst.

I know it is trendy to hate on millennials, but being mindful of ones' legacy is not unique to them, nor is the idea anything remotely new. Achilles worried about his legacy in the Iliad, the oldest work of Western literature.

Get that weak sauce out of my kitchen.
Cheb

Postby KiffininCanton » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Like when Kareem Abdul Jabbar had his "retirement tour" final season.

Kareem DID have a legacy.

and so does guys today like Lebron and Curry.

But when 80% of the athletes today use the term "my legacy"..............
KiffininCanton

Postby KiffininCanton » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Cheb wrote:

I know it is trendy to hate on millennials, but being mindful of ones' legacy is not unique to them, nor is the idea anything remotely new. Achilles worried about his legacy in the Iliad, the oldest work of Western literature.

Get that weak sauce out of my kitchen.

I hate baby boomers too, if that makes you feel better.
KiffininCanton

Postby Buc2 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:22 pm

I hate everybody.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Next

Return to Team Discussions