McCoy lobbying for Michael Bennett

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
McCoy lobbying for Michael Bennett

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:55 pm

McCoy tweeted this recently:

If @mosesbread72 is serious about Seattle not wanting him back. I know a former teammate that would love to have him.........

In your opinion would the return of Michael Bennett make it ok to pass on Chubb for Barkley or Nelson?

I’d like Bennett + Nelson a lot. Both lines addressed and we could go DL again later.
PrimeMinister

Re: McCoy lobbying for Michael Bennett

Postby Nano » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:02 pm

I'd be okay with Bennett returning. That said, if we signed him and Chubb was there at 7, we need to take him too
Nano

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:03 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:McCoy tweeted this recently:

If @mosesbread72 is serious about Seattle not wanting him back. I know a former teammate that would love to have him.........

In your opinion would the return of Michael Bennett make it ok to pass on Chubb for Barkley or Nelson?

I’d like Bennett + Nelson a lot. Both lines addressed and we could go DL again later.

Nope . We would need both . We need 2 stud De’s and a really good DT . Need to get some help for McCoy
Jason Bourne

Postby LavonteDavid54 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Agree, would take both still.
LavonteDavid54

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:13 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:McCoy tweeted this recently:

Nope . We would need both . We need 2 stud De’s and a really good DT . Need to get some help for McCoy

This. And that's usually how Licht operates anyway. He doesn't just hit on a position in FA and then check the box.
Bootz2004

Postby Caradoc » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:15 pm

Yep, hit it once in FA and again in the draft. If you can't hit in FA, Double Dom Dip in Da Draft.
Last edited by Caradoc on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caradoc

Postby theBKwhopper » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:36 pm

The only DEs we have that should be safe are Spence and Gholston. I'd keep Russell too. We could sign Bennet, draft Key and another later on. I like Rasheem Green in the 4th.

Bennett
Gholston
Spence
Key
Green
Russell
theBKwhopper

Postby terrytate » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:07 am

He'd be a third contract guy and known malcontent. He'd also want to get paid. No thanks.

But no, no matter who we sign in FA, we take Chubb if he's there. Signing a good FA DE would either pair with Chubb to give us a great set of DE's or ease the sting of missing out and taking Nelson or James.
terrytate

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:12 am

Yeah No thanks. Your paying for name recognition and nostalgia.

Signing 32 year old free agent Dlinemen has a very low success rate.

I wouldn't hate it providing only 2018 was guaranteed and the price tag was around $8m. But Bennett is a situational player at this point imo.
DreadNaught

Postby ComingThisFall » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:02 am

There needs to be a ridiculously huge influx of talent on the defensive line here in Tampa.

You have to sign Bennett if you can. We need all the talent we can get on the Dline. If then Chubb is available at 7 then take him too. He probably wont be but whatever.

Someone else posted elsewhere on this board that Licht has drafted TWO defensive linemen since being hired. He needs to draft atleast two this year. And he needs to do it in the first two days.
ComingThisFall

Postby ComingThisFall » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:04 am

DreadNaught wrote:Yeah No thanks. Your paying for name recognition and nostalgia.

I wouldn't hate it providing only 2018 was guaranteed and the price tag was around $8m. But Bennett is a situational player at this point imo.

Would usually agree but we need talent and defensive lineman age well. Also you bank on him playing with a chip on his shoulder and work performance into his contract
ComingThisFall

Postby acmillis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:19 am

ComingThisFall wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Yeah No thanks. Your paying for name recognition and nostalgia.

Would usually agree but we need talent and defensive lineman age well. Also you bank on him playing with a chip on his shoulder and work performance into his contract

Only way I'd do it. 1/2 mil per sack with vet minimum. Obviously that is ridiculous, but I do not like the guy.
acmillis

Postby IronDog » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:25 am

Mixed emotions. Has always been an impactful player. If it hadn't been for "Toes on the line" Schiano, he'd likely still be here. However, his attitude and negative behavior would be a big drawback, IMO.
IronDog

Postby deltbucs » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:34 pm

ComingThisFall wrote:There needs to be a ridiculously huge influx of talent on the defensive line here in Tampa.

You have to sign Bennett if you can. We need all the talent we can get on the Dline. If then Chubb is available at 7 then take him too. He probably wont be but whatever.

Pretty much my thoughts
deltbucs

Postby Super K » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:26 pm

I get that the guys is an ***hole, but we're trying to build a passrush not a church choir..

2 questions we should ask ourselves when it comes to prospective DL candidates...

Are you better than what we have?

Can we afford you (whether that's short/long term)?

If the answer is yes to both, ink them up..

I'll take Michael Bennett over Ryan Russell/Will Clarke any day of the days week..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:40 pm

We need some ***holes on this team. We seem way too passive at times especially on defense. Offensively we have firey guys like Winston & Evans but defensively I dont see it. We get punked all too often. Bennett would bring some fire and hes still productive. Another 8.5 sacks this season. The same number of sacks that Ayers has in 2 seasons here.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:52 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:We need some ***holes on this team. We seem way too passive at times especially on defense. Offensively we have firey guys like Winston & Evans but defensively I dont see it. We get punked all too often. Bennett would bring some fire and hes still productive. Another 8.5 sacks this season. The same number of sacks that Ayers has in 2 seasons here.

This. Defense needs guys with attitude and often a guy who is an ***hole. I don’t see that as a negative on the defensive side of the ball.
PrimeMinister

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:01 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:We need some ***holes on this team. We seem way too passive at times especially on defense. Offensively we have firey guys like Winston & Evans but defensively I dont see it. We get punked all too often. Bennett would bring some fire and hes still productive. Another 8.5 sacks this season. The same number of sacks that Ayers has in 2 seasons here.

This. Defense needs guys with attitude and often a guy who is an ***hole. I don’t see that as a negative on the defensive side of the ball.

I thought Robert Ayers was that guy? Not that I disagree, but we need guys that can rush the QB moreso than whatever their demeanor is on the field.

I wouldn't hate it if we signed Michael Bennett, he certainly would be better at rushing the QB than anyone else not named McCoy we've had in a while (actually since Bennett left :cry: ). I'm just not a fan of 3rd contract players in FA as a general rule. But the Bucs are in no position to be picky and if we can get 12+ starts from Bennett our pass rush would certainly be better than it's been.

Signing Bennett should in no way alleviate the dire need we have at DE nor distract the FO from taking Chubb at #7 if he's there.

We need talent at DE and Bennett is certainly a productive DE/DT. Letting Bennett rush inside next to McCoy would be very disruptive for opposing Olines.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:07 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I thought Robert Ayers was that guy? Not that I disagree, but we need guys that can rush the QB moreso than whatever their demeanor is on the field.

I wouldn't hate it if we signed Michael Bennett, he certainly would be better at rushing the QB than anyone else not named McCoy we've had in a while (actually since Bennett left :cry: ). I'm just not a fan of 3rd contract players in FA as a general rule. But the Bucs are in no position to be picky and if we can get 12+ starts from Bennett our pass rush would certainly be better than it's been.

Signing Bennett should in no way alleviate the dire need we have at DE nor distract the FO from taking Chubb at #7 if he's there.

We need talent at DE and Bennett is certainly a productive DE/DT. Letting Bennett rush inside next to McCoy would be very disruptive for opposing Olines.

Bennett>Ayers. Ayers is more long those "speak softly/big stick" guys and he's not as productive as Bennett. As I stated I'd gladly swap out Ayers in favor of Bennett. I was never a fan of his signing to begin with.

And signing Bennett wouldn't alleviate the need we have for a pass rush. You know this. Jason Licht signed Brent Grimes then drafted Vernon Hargreaves in the 1st round and Ryan Smith in the 4th. Signed Ayers then drafted Noah Spence in the 2nd. Signed JJ Wilcox then drafted Justin Evans in the 2nd. Signed Desean Jackson then drafted Chris Godwin. Licht doesn't stop at FA. He reinforces positions in the draft all the time. Signing Bennett or another DE would make me more excited and optimistic that pass rush would be his ideal plan in the draft.
Bootz2004

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:10 pm

I'm fine with bringing him and anyone else that would/could help the pass rush... but I wouldn't cross Chubb off because of him.

There are only a handful of players that would make me do that, and none are available.
Deja Entendu

Postby Caradoc » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:48 pm

Beggars can’t be choosers. If he’ll come and not be unreasonable about his contract we sign him.
Caradoc

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:34 pm

It's so Bucs to have a player at the beginning of his career, let him leave to become a perennial Pro Bowler and help his new team win a Super Bowl, then want to bring him back and overpay him at the end of his career.
pewterpirates

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:38 pm

pewterpirates wrote:It's so Bucs to have a player at the beginning of his career, let him leave to become a perennial Pro Bowler and help his new team win a Super Bowl, then want to bring him back and overpay him at the end of his career.

Who did we do this with previously
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:00 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:It's so Bucs to have a player at the beginning of his career, let him leave to become a perennial Pro Bowler and help his new team win a Super Bowl, then want to bring him back and overpay him at the end of his career.

I think he was saying this more in a melancholy #itsabucslife kinda way instead of saying we are literally repeating history.

For the sake of argument, we kinda-sorta did that with Warrick Dunn. Not totally, but there are similarities.
Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:10 pm

Cheb wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I think he was saying this more in a melancholy #itsabucslife kinda way instead of saying we are literally repeating history.

For the sake of argument, we kinda-sorta did that with Warrick Dunn. Not totally, but there are similarities.

Yea except we won the Superbowl after we let Dunn walk.
Bootz2004

Postby Caradoc » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:18 pm

#ArguingForTheSakeOfArguing
Caradoc

Postby NYBF » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:37 am

bootzing

verb \ ˈbüt - siŋ \

Caradoc wrote:#ArguingForTheSakeOfArguing
NYBF

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:46 am

I bet nobody has yet to look at it this way!

Michael Bennett is lobbying for Gerald McCoy to come play with him.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:50 am

Ole Michael knows the Seahawks are in trouble he he.
mdb1958

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:00 pm

mdb1958 wrote:I bet nobody has yet to look at it this way!

Michael Bennett is lobbying for Gerald McCoy to come play with him.

Yep , I bet nobody has looked at it like that
Jason Bourne

Next

Return to Team Discussions