*OFFICIAL Jon Gruden Re-Signs As Raiders Head Coach Thread!*

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: *OFFICIAL Jon Gruden Re-Signs As Raiders Head Coach Thre

Postby MJW » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:38 am

KiffininCanton wrote:
MJW wrote:
You know very little, and would do yourself a service by being quiet.

In this case, he's not wrong

QB Jeff Garcia
RB Earnest Graham
TE John Gilmore
WR Antonio Bryant
WR Michael Clayton
TE Alex Smith
LT Donald Penn
LG Arron Sears
C Jeff Faine
RG Davin Joseph
RT Jeremy Trueblood

After 5 offseasons of having full control (ie hand picked GM) and 5 offseasons of full compliment of draft picks, that's the offense he had built.

Miller is right, Gruden the persona is what people are getting blinded by: the goofy long play names, waking up 3 am every morning, the pointless pre snap shifts, etc.

PG's "a beautiful mind" comparison was perfect.

He's not going to have full personnel control in Oakland. They already have one of the best GMs in the league there. I'm certain he'll have input, of course. But I don't think Reggie McKenzie is going to stick around to be Gruden's yes man.

Also...the funny thing is...with the talent you listed above, he still won 9 games ;)
MJW

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:05 am

Miller4Prez64 wrote:Honestly never thought we'd see Jon Gruden back in the NFL, but it makes sense why he's making the jump now. He was highly paid at ESPN, the company has been slashing payrolls for a while now and he is taking the big bucks to get back into coaching before he takes a TV pay cut. I don't think he is worth anything near what he got, I think the Jon Gruden brand/persona brings more than his actual success. He wasn't exactly taking the NFL by storm from 2003-2008 and he's been out of the league since then. It's a big gamble, but the Raiders have been horrible since Gruden left (minus last season) and they are desperate to get back to being a glory franchise and they also need people in Oakland hype about the team before the move to Las Vegas.

I actually thank Gruden for holding out as long as he did. Seriously, if he would've jumped back into coaching a year earlier we would have been stuck with Trent Dilfer on MNF.
IchabodCrane84

Postby PetePierson » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:08 am

NYBF wrote:
I asked you.

Be nice to SuperCutz.
PetePierson

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:24 am

NFL Head Coaches and GMs typically sign guaranteed contracts. Some, but not all usually come with 1 additional year at the end as a team option. This is most often seen with the HC's initial contract with the team. Caldwell was unique in that the Lions didn't want to commit but didn't want to fire him either. Some how they got Caldwell to agree to just 1 additional guarnteed year in 2018 with a series of team options in 2019 and 2020.

In Grudens case I'd be interested to see what the outs were in the contract. This is certainly good news for the Belichick and Tomlin's of the world.
DreadNaught

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:19 am

Interesting they backloaded the contract to favor Vegas taxes instead of Cali taxes ...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ssion=true
Jason Bourne

Postby acmillis » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:11 am

Jason Bourne wrote:Interesting they backloaded the contract to favor Vegas taxes instead of Cali taxes ...

Sure..... it's backloaded to help the coach with taxes.... sure.
acmillis

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:23 am

acmillis wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:Interesting they backloaded the contract to favor Vegas taxes instead of Cali taxes ...

Sure..... it's backloaded to help the coach with taxes.... sure.

I thought the same thing
Jason Bourne

Postby NYBF » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:42 am

DreadNaught wrote:NFL Head Coaches and GMs typically sign guaranteed contracts. Some, but not all usually come with 1 additional year at the end as a team option. This is most often seen with the HC's initial contract with the team. Caldwell was unique in that the Lions didn't want to commit but didn't want to fire him either. Some how they got Caldwell to agree to just 1 additional guarnteed year in 2018 with a series of team options in 2019 and 2020.

In Grudens case I'd be interested to see what the outs were in the contract. This is certainly good news for the Belichick and Tomlin's of the world.

It's funny that the board blowhard doesn't understand what a team option is.
NYBF

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:53 am

MJW wrote:Good Luck to Coach Gruden in Vegas

Ultimately, I just couldn't count on him being angry enough if our media department was rude to the Falcons. Dirk has that locked down.

FIFY
Crocaneers

Postby KiffininCanton » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:26 pm

MJW wrote:
KiffininCanton wrote:

QB Jeff Garcia
RB Earnest Graham
TE John Gilmore
WR Antonio Bryant
WR Michael Clayton
TE Alex Smith
LT Donald Penn
LG Arron Sears
C Jeff Faine
RG Davin Joseph
RT Jeremy Trueblood

After 5 offseasons of having full control (ie hand picked GM) and 5 offseasons of full compliment of draft picks, that's the offense he had built.

Miller is right, Gruden the persona is what people are getting blinded by: the goofy long play names, waking up 3 am every morning, the pointless pre snap shifts, etc.

He's not going to have full personnel control in Oakland. They already have one of the best GMs in the league there. I'm certain he'll have input, of course. But I don't think Reggie McKenzie is going to stick around to be Gruden's yes man.

Also...the funny thing is...with the talent you listed above, he still won 9 games ;)

it wasn't the offensive talent listed above that he won those 9 games with.

the Raiders just gave Gruden a 10 year, 100 million dollar deal, if there is a power struggle with McKenzie, who's side do you think ownership is taking?

and just like you don't think McKenzie is sticking around to be Gruden's yes man, history tells us Gruden doesn't like defering to the GM.
KiffininCanton

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:03 am

KiffininCanton wrote:
MJW wrote:

the Raiders just gave Gruden a 10 year, 100 million dollar deal, if there is a power struggle with McKenzie, who's side do you think ownership is taking?

and just like you don't think McKenzie is sticking around to be Gruden's yes man, history tells us Gruden doesn't like defering to the GM.

Gruden will do fine in Oakland. He's actually got a quarterback there, something he never had here. As for the "offensive talent" here, we don't win the Super Bowl in 2002 if the offense doesn't produce in the playoffs. You can praise the defense all you want, but the offense was a huge part of that success in 2002.

And also, I'm a believer in that if you are the HC, you are the HC of the offense AND the defense. I know you aren't, but I am. Just because Kiffin was in charge of the defense, doesn't mean Gruden had nothing to do with it or doesn't deserve any of the credit. Derrick Brooks himself said Gruden never got enough credit for the defense's success and was involved in a lot of it. I know you hate the guy and probably blame him for the weather being cold in Florida for the last week, but the guy is a solid coach and did a decent job here, although it could have been better. He was a good coach in Oakland the first time and has the talent there to improve that team and turn it into a Super Bowl contender. Best of luck to him...now let's focus on what we need to do to be a better team here.
NavyBuc

Postby PetePierson » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:32 pm

NYBF wrote:
It's funny that the board blowhard doesn't understand what a team option is.

SuperCutz won't show up in this thread again.

Seriously, is there a bigger bitch on this board?
PetePierson

Postby Agent Orange » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:27 pm

They needed this big hire to promote themselves for the move to Vegas. Can’t move to Vegas with Del Rio. Gruden’s ego is probably 10 times bigger now than when he left. Nobody tears a good thing apart faster than Gruden’s ego.
Agent Orange

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:28 pm

Agent Orange wrote:They needed this big hire to promote themselves for the move to Vegas. Can’t move to Vegas with Del Rio. Gruden’s ego is probably 10 times bigger now than when he left. Nobody tears a good thing apart faster than Gruden’s ego.

Promote themselves? Its an NFL franchise moving to the gambling and party capital of this country. That's promotion enough.
Bootz2004

Postby beardmcdoug » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:32 pm

KiffininCanton wrote:
MJW wrote:
You know very little, and would do yourself a service by being quiet.

QB Jeff Garcia
RB Earnest Graham
TE John Gilmore
WR Antonio Bryant
WR Michael Clayton
TE Alex Smith
LT Donald Penn
LG Arron Sears
C Jeff Faine
RG Davin Joseph
RT Jeremy Trueblood

To be fair, that O-line was pretty solid - Penn is still borderline all pro, sears was very good before...you know, fainecwas a quality starter, as was Joseph. True blood was a dumb mauler, but what line doesn't have a guy like that

Wasn't Alex smith in that playoff game with Tennessee yesterday?

Antonio Bryant was LEGIT that one year. Who knew Clayton would fall off like he did after that.

Don't hate on E-Geezy

And Garcia was a BALLER
beardmcdoug

Postby Agent Orange » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Agent Orange wrote:They needed this big hire to promote themselves for the move to Vegas. Can’t move to Vegas with Del Rio. Gruden’s ego is probably 10 times bigger now than when he left. Nobody tears a good thing apart faster than Gruden’s ego.

Promote themselves? Its an NFL franchise moving to the gambling and party capital of this country. That's promotion enough.

Business is business. They will need to be an even bigger side show than other franchises.
Agent Orange

Postby Agent Orange » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 pm

Agent Orange

Postby Caradoc » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:58 am

Agent Orange wrote:https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/1/7/16861176/aside-from-2014-raiders-have-little-to-show-for-drafts-in-reggie-mckenzie-era

It's only a matter of time...

Licht sucks.
Caradoc

Postby Stephenip12 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:49 am

If he wins again, people will be saying he won with Del Rio's team. I must say besides that 02 Bucs Roster this might be the most talented team Gruden has had.
Stephenip12

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Stephenip12 wrote:If he wins again, people will be saying he won with Del Rio's team. I must say besides that 02 Bucs Roster this might be the most talented team Gruden has had.

That O line definitely more talented but not the D line
Jason Bourne

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:27 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Stephenip12 wrote:If he wins again, people will be saying he won with Del Rio's team. I must say besides that 02 Bucs Roster this might be the most talented team Gruden has had.

Meh. The Raiders certainly have some very good pieces in place where they have a QB1, WR1, and elite EDGE rusher all in place. Their interior three Olinemen are elite but both Tackles are suspect. Penn had a poor year and players his age rarely improve.

Khalil Mack is a perennial DPOY candidate, but what else do they have on defense? Pretty terrible LBs and their CBs have been bad for a few years.

I'm still a believer in Amari Cooper, but he needs a bounce back year in 2018. Crabtree is getting long in the tooth also.

I agree the Raiders have some talent, but they also have alot of holes on the roster imo. Other than Mack, that defense is pretty average at best.
DreadNaught

Postby UbuntuBuc » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:57 pm

So was this a choice between Carr and Winston? Did the Buccaneers actually want Gruden?

Could care less about his coaching the Raiders... but what happened with the Buccaneers is interesting.
UbuntuBuc

Postby Deuce » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:06 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

Meh. The Raiders certainly have some very good pieces in place where they have a QB1, WR1, and elite EDGE rusher all in place. Their interior three Olinemen are elite but both Tackles are suspect. Penn had a poor year and players his age rarely improve.

Khalil Mack is a perennial DPOY candidate, but what else do they have on defense? Pretty terrible LBs and their CBs have been bad for a few years.

I'm still a believer in Amari Cooper, but he needs a bounce back year in 2018. Crabtree is getting long in the tooth also.

I agree the Raiders have some talent, but they also have alot of holes on the roster imo. Other than Mack, that defense is pretty average at best.

I've started to consider Amari Cooper more of a really good WR2 and the team is expected to move on from Crabtree, although that could change with Gruden coming in.
Deuce

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:11 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

Yeah I was referring to the O line but the rest of the roster is Meh except for Mack like you said
Jason Bourne

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:13 pm

UbuntuBuc wrote:So was this a choice between Carr and Winston? Did the Buccaneers actually want Gruden?

Could care less about his coaching the Raiders... but what happened with the Buccaneers is interesting.

I'm not sure what happened with the Bucs and Gruden, or if it was much of anything. I don't doubt the Glazers kicked the tires with his agent, but when the Raiders came in at 10 yrs @ $10m per year it pretty much eliminated everyone else.

But besides that, even if the compensation was equal for whatever team he chose. Gruden is already in the Bucs RoH and a SB champ here. With the Raiders he is equally beloved by the fanbase (arguably more than here tbh) and if he can win a ring w/ the Raiders he'll have a HoF type of resume, or close to it.

Anyways, 10 years is insane to commit to a HC not named Belichick. Considering Gruden hasn't coached in a decade and his last 4-5 years with Bucs were very average it's just a crazy deal and one I'm glad the Bucs didn't make.
DreadNaught

Postby DanTurksGhost » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:57 pm

UbuntuBuc wrote:So was this a choice between Carr and Winston? Did the Buccaneers actually want Gruden?

Bucs were interested. Word is they talked to Coach Gruden's people, insulating him from directly being involved in discussions, giving him the ability to deny that HE never talked to the Bucs about taking Koetter's job. I was told that in the end two of the Glazer boys were completely on board, one wasn't and Darcie was dead-set against it. But I stress this is just scuttlebutt, I cannot ascribe any particular veracity to it, other than that it makes total sense. I do know that Coach Gruden let it "be known" in league circles that he was ready to come back and he really wanted to come back to coach in Tampa, where he lives.
DanTurksGhost

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:31 am

KiffininCanton wrote:
MJW wrote:

If you've listened to Gruden at all in the years since he was fired here, he's either learned A LOT about what went wrong, or he's good enough at lying about it that he fooled me. It's obvious that after the Superbowl, he put his desire to run the entire show over his desire to win. He's never said that, and I doubt he ever would, but he has indicated he understands that we was part of what went wrong here.

I don't think he came back to lose. He knows he has an asset in Reggie McKenzie who will help him be successful, and I'm betting he's matured enough in the last decade to embrace that. I fully expect him to have major input in personnel, but I don't think it'll be any more pronounced than half the coaches in the league enjoy.
MJW

Postby terrytate » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 am

DanTurksGhost wrote:

Bucs were interested. Word is they talked to Coach Gruden's people, insulating him from directly being involved in discussions, giving him the ability to deny that HE never talked to the Bucs about taking Koetter's job. I was told that in the end two of the Glazer boys were completely on board, one wasn't and Darcie was dead-set against it. But I stress this is just scuttlebutt, I cannot ascribe any particular veracity to it, other than that it makes total sense. I do know that Coach Gruden let it "be known" in league circles that he was ready to come back and he really wanted to come back to coach in Tampa, where he lives.

If true, I wonder what kind of money was discussed. It certainly couldn't have been in the ballpark of what the Raiders offered, at least I hope not.
terrytate

Postby KiffininCanton » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:12 pm

So about that whole "Gruden been around the game and studying it since he left coaching, he won't be one of those coaches who the game passed him by" thing...........

https://twitter.com/ChrisBurkeNFL/statu ... 1254023169

Gruden should fit right in with a organization who's owner at a press conference in 2008 was still using the old school overhead projector instead of power point.
KiffininCanton

Postby Teitan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:20 pm

#Raiders coach Jon Gruden on when he dismissed the idea of coaching the #Bucs. "When they fired me."

Hahaha
Teitan

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions