***2018 Official NFL Off-Season Thread***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***2018 Official NFL Off-Season Thread***

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Jesus. Somebody hire Mike Smith.

This time next year after this defense rebounds and plays at a high level people will be back to panicking about him potentially leaving.

IF
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:33 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

This time next year after this defense rebounds and plays at a high level people will be back to panicking about him potentially leaving.

Agree ...If they get better DE,s
Jason Bourne

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

IF

WHEN
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:35 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:IF

WHEN

HOPE SO
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:42 pm

Falcons fans are not happy

Steve Sarkisian expected to return to Falcons in 2018
Phantom Phenom

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

Too funny. Last offseason we're all clamoring for Mike Smith to stay based on how well the defense played over the final 8 games of 2016. Now we want to run him out of town so we don't have to pay him the extension we were happy he signed.

Mike Smith is good football coach and hasn't been here long enough for his methods/approach to become stale for the players. I honestly don't think he was the problem with our defense. But I understand there needs to be accountability at some point and he is the DC.

But I've supported giving the Licht-Koetter-Smith team the 2018 season to right the ship. Everyone knows (including them) it's make or break for all 3 of them next season. They will either all be fired, or all be together again here in 2019 (unless Smith gets a HC job).
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Falcons fans are not happy

Georgia distilleries, however, are overjoyed....
Super K

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:48 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Too funny. Last offseason we're all clamoring for Mike Smith to stay based on how well the defense played over the final 8 games of 2016. Now we want to run him out of town so we don't have to pay him the extension we were happy he signed.

Mike Smith is good football coach and hasn't been here long enough for his methods/approach to become stale for the players. I honestly don't think he was the problem with our defense. But I understand there needs to be accountability at some point and he is the DC.

But I've supported giving the Licht-Koetter-Smith team the 2018 season to right the ship. Everyone knows (including them) it's make or break for all 3 of them next season. They will either all be fired, or all be together again here in 2019 (unless Smith gets a HC job).

Yep
Jason Bourne

Postby acmillis » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Super K wrote:

Georgia distilleries, however, are overjoyed....

HA
acmillis

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Meh, Not a terrible move imo. He replaced a really good OC in Kyle Shananhan (whose offense got much better from year 1 to year 2 when he was OC in ATL) that already had the #1 offense and reigning MVP, so there was no place to go but down.

Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't. It's not like the Falcons offense was terrible this year.
DreadNaught

Postby Caradoc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:19 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Don't get why people are so down on Licht. At least let your GM hire one coach before you fire him.
Caradoc

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:46 pm

Caradoc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Don't get why people are so down on Licht. At least let your GM hire one coach before you fire him.

Agreed. Besides the one (albeit, huge) mistake in drafting Aguayo, he's done quite well. We're not in cap hell, we have a solid, still young core, and our lack of success with FA signings has not be for lack of trying. It would be one thing if he was Ted Thompson-like and sat on the sidelines every year... instead, every year he's been extremely active, often signing consensus top or second-best available talent (Michael Johnson, Collins, Verner, Sweezy, Grimes, Ayers, Baker, Jackson, TJ Ward). I wouldn't say it's his fault that 9 out of 10 of those guys, who had already proved they can play at the highest level in the league with different teams, ended up sucking ****ing balls or getting injured when they got here. I know that last sentence reads like sarcasm, but go back and read the time-of nation-wide grades and analyses; we've been lauded every year for addressing holes with key signings, who, at the time, seem like great signings....
beardmcdoug

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Ben McAdoo interviewing for Cleveland Browns' OC job
Phantom Phenom

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Ben McAdoo interviewing for Cleveland Browns' OC job

At some point I am gonna start feeling sry for them
Jason Bourne

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:05 pm

I like Jason Licht. He's cut his teeth in the NFL on his own merit working his way up from bottom of the totem pole to where he is.

He's made some mistakes, but every GM misses on over 50% of the decisions they make so being a GM is similar to baseball imo in that the difference between being average and in the HoF is getting a matter of percentage points where everyone fails more than they succeed.

That said, he's about to enter year 5 and if the Bucs have a losing record it will make 4/5 years he's been under .500 and never once made the playoffs. As much as I may like the guy, that resume is indefensible and he'd have to go. He'd probably be the first to admit that.
DreadNaught

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Per Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, a group of the Steelers' fan-owned limited equity partners plan to lobby owner Art Rooney into firing Tomlin.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Super K » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Per Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, a group of the Steelers' fan-owned limited equity partners plan to lobby owner Art Rooney into firing Tomlin.

Do it!!!
Super K

Postby Teitan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:27 pm

I’ve thought Tomlin and Harbaugh have been on borrowed time for awhile now. Tomlin is incredibly over rated.
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Teitan wrote:I’ve thought Tomlin and Harbaugh have been on borrowed time for awhile now. Tomlin is incredibly over rated.

What makes a head coach with zero losing records, a Superbowl and another appearance overrated? I'd love to hear this one.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Teitan wrote:I’ve thought Tomlin and Harbaugh have been on borrowed time for awhile now. Tomlin is incredibly over rated.

That's racist bro...
DreadNaught

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

What makes a head coach with zero losing records, a Superbowl and another appearance overrated? I'd love to hear this one.

11 years as HC , 1 SB and 1 coach of the year . They have a very talented team, top rated QB and stellar defense ... he is overrated
Last edited by Jason Bourne on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Bourne

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

He inherited a 25yr old future HoF QB. So I give him credit for hiring great OC's like Bruce Arians (who he later fired, woops) and Todd Haley to develop Ben. He also inherited a HoF DC in **** Lebeau who had groomed his own replacement that is the current DC there.

We'll see how great of coach Tomlin is when Ben retires. I do think Tomlin is a fantastic leader/motivator. But his game management leaves alot to be desired. I don't think he should be fired fwiw.

I've never rated Tomlin that highly and thought he's done a good job of keeping the train on the tracks in Pittsburgh. But he's never been in charge of personnel and has had very strong and stable coordinators on both sides of the ball his entire tenure thus far. So I don't think he's overrated, I think he's a good head coach providing everything else is in place around him.
Last edited by DreadNaught on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

11 years as HC , 1 SB and 1 coaching the year . They have a very talented team, top rated QB and stellar defense ... he is overrated

How many coaches can say these things? If that's overrated then there are about 31 teams with overrated head coaches.
Bootz2004

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
11 years as HC , 1 SB and 1 coaching the year . They have a very talented team, top rated QB and stellar defense ... he is overrated

How many coaches can say these things? If that's overrated then there are about 31 teams with overrated head coaches.

He inherited one heckuva team , don’t ya Think ?
Jason Bourne

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:46 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

Names that come to mind:
Gruden, McCarthy, Dungy, Harbaugh, Carroll

you know, the crop of guys that are called overrated about every year they don't win a super bowl lol
beardmcdoug

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:49 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

He inherited a 25yr old future HoF QB. So I give him credit for hiring great OC's like Bruce Arians (who he later fired, woops) and Todd Haley to develop Ben. He also inherited a HoF DC in **** Lebeau who had groomed his own replacement that is the current DC there.

We'll see how great of coach Tomlin is when Ben retires. I do think Tomlin is a fantastic leader/motivator. But his game management leaves alot to be desired. I don't think he should be fired fwiw.

I've never rated Tomlin that highly and thought he's done a good job of keeping the train on the tracks in Pittsburgh. But he's never been in charge of personnel and has had very strong and stable coordinators on both sides of the ball his entire tenure thus far. So I don't think he's overrated, I think he's a good head coach providing everything else is in place around him.

So we're using the old "they had great pieces around them so they aren't that good" argument here. Got it.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Names that come to mind:

you know, the crop of guys that are called overrated about every year they don't win a super bowl lol

Reid. Harbaugh. Arians before retiring. Fans just like saying a coach is overrated.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:53 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Names that come to mind:

Based on results (and honestly I don't know how you can base it off of anything else) Tomlin is better than every coach you named above..

I HOPE they fire him because I HATE the Steelers and that move would put them in complete disarray..

I'd drop kick DK out the door of One Buc Place for Tomlin faster than Mdb can make an nonsensical draft post..
Super K

Postby Super K » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:56 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

In all seriousness Dread, that same Ben/Tomlin argument can be made against Brady/BB...

Tomlin shouldn't be penalized for accepting a job in a good situation...
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:58 pm

He inherited a team that was 8-8 and missed the playoffs. But yes, he's overrated...
Bootz2004

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions