***2018 Official NFL Off-Season Thread***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***2018 Official NFL Off-Season Thread***

Postby SIBucsFan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:02 am

MJW wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Sea Bass made $51m in his career. That's more than any other kicker, even Vinatieri who has played 4 more years.

He wasn't even that good. Huge leg, could make the kicks nobody else could, but even if you take the 50+ kicks out of the equation, his make percentage isn't great.

I consider from 30-49 to be the best measure of a kicker. If he can't hit shorter than that, he won't last anyway, and it's unfair to skew an overall percentage with kicks from 50+. From 30-49, Seabass hit 71.6% in his career. Adam Vinatieri hit 81% of his kicks from 30-49. Matt Bryant hit 84%. Janikowski was money from 29 and in, and he took, made, and missed more from 50+ than anybody. But the vast majority of field goals come from 30-49, and there's an expectation you're going to hit more than 7 out of 10 of them if you're considered great.

Albeit a smaller sample size, Patrick Murray is 90% from between 30-49 yards (26/29), and that's why I would like to see him get more shots going forward. It seems to be the biggest knock on him is his weak kickoffs, which unfortunately could be enough for him not to keep the kicker position for the Bucs in 2018. I still like that Murray has shown that he can make important kicks, and make routine ones with solid consistency.
SIBucsFan

Postby Hatter » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:18 am

mdb1958 wrote:If the Colts think Luck is on borrowed time, do they still pick Chubb?

Great question, I wouldn't doubt if we see some crazy news about him arising before camp.
Hatter

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:Larry Fitzgerald told Cardinals coach Steve Wilks he will return for the 2018 season.

I didn’t realize Wilks was on the hot seat so soon. Nice of Fitz to give him another year.
PrimeMinister

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:14 am

SIBucsFan wrote:
MJW wrote:
He wasn't even that good. Huge leg, could make the kicks nobody else could, but even if you take the 50+ kicks out of the equation, his make percentage isn't great.

I consider from 30-49 to be the best measure of a kicker. If he can't hit shorter than that, he won't last anyway, and it's unfair to skew an overall percentage with kicks from 50+. From 30-49, Seabass hit 71.6% in his career. Adam Vinatieri hit 81% of his kicks from 30-49. Matt Bryant hit 84%. Janikowski was money from 29 and in, and he took, made, and missed more from 50+ than anybody. But the vast majority of field goals come from 30-49, and there's an expectation you're going to hit more than 7 out of 10 of them if you're considered great.

Albeit a smaller sample size, Patrick Murray is 90% from between 30-49 yards (26/29), and that's why I would like to see him get more shots going forward. It seems to be the biggest knock on him is his weak kickoffs, which unfortunately could be enough for him not to keep the kicker position for the Bucs in 2018. I still like that Murray has shown that he can make important kicks, and make routine ones with solid consistency.

I have nothing against Murray, but his kickoffs are an issue. They are part of the reason the Bucs had two KO returns late in the season.

I agree that a kickers ability from beyond 50yds of overrated (but certainly nice to have) and that the value in a kicker is kicking at high success rate from within 49yds and being automatic inside of 40yds, which Murray checks that box. But so should any NFL kicker imo and I think there are better options available every season when rosters are cut down to 53. Guys like Elliott and Buktner are examples from this past season, but it happens every year.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:36 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Larry Fitzgerald told Cardinals coach Steve Wilks he will return for the 2018 season.

I didn’t realize Wilks was on the hot seat so soon. Nice of Fitz to give him another year.

LMAO!!!! WINNER!! Ichy, might be time to move over.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:54 pm

AJ McCarron won his vested years grievance, and will be an UFA.

I'll be really interested to see what kind of market there is for him. Supposedly the Browns were ready to send Cinci a 2nd for his rights during the season. Will they make a move for him now, with no compensation? If they do, will it be "real" starter money, or would they leave the door open for him to compete against a top four pick? Is he the obvious consolation prize for a solid team that loses the Kirk Cousins derby, like the Broncos or Cardinals?

I don't quite get the hype on him to this point. When Jimmy G started those games in New England, he filled in for the GOAT and they didn't miss a beat. When McCarron started in Cinci and filled in for...ummmm....Andy Dalton...he looked like a taller Andy Dalton, maybe.

So, yeah. Should be an interesting market for the guy.
MJW

Postby Caradoc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:17 pm

MJW wrote:AJ McCarron won his vested years grievance, and will be an UFA.

I'll be really interested to see what kind of market there is for him. Supposedly the Browns were ready to send Cinci a 2nd for his rights during the season. Will they make a move for him now, with no compensation? If they do, will it be "real" starter money, or would they leave the door open for him to compete against a top four pick? Is he the obvious consolation prize for a solid team that loses the Kirk Cousins derby, like the Broncos or Cardinals?

I don't quite get the hype on him to this point. When Jimmy G started those games in New England, he filled in for the GOAT and they didn't miss a beat. When McCarron started in Cinci and filled in for...ummmm....Andy Dalton...he looked like a taller Andy Dalton, maybe.

So, yeah. Should be an interesting market for the guy.

People who fill in for Brady in NE tend to look good doing so, so I wouldn't read too much into that. So far Jimmy G is the only one who looked good elsewhere.

As for AJ, I felt he looked better in his playing time than the stats would indicate. There will probably be a market for him with teams that need a QB but don't want to trade up. I would also expect interest from teams with old QBs as well, but I think he wants a chance to start.
Caradoc

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 pm

I would almost bet the Browns sign AJ on March 14th.He knows Hue Jackson’s system , went 2-1 with Hue as an OC .
Jason Bourne

Postby Super K » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:I would almost bet the Browns sign AJ on March 14th.He knows Hue Jackson’s system , went 2-1 with Hue as an OC .

Disagree...Hue isn't calling the shots anymore for 1...

Secondly, their attempting to get AJ during the season was a desperation move after ****ing up the most important position in the sport..again..

Good news for them, it didn't go through and they didn't waste a high 2nd rounder on the guy...

There is absolutely NO chance Cleveland risks everything on a "wish/hope/prayer" type QB again...

They will either sign the proven commodity (Cousins) or draft one of the talented young guns #1...

2nd/3rd round guys (or later), aspiring backups whom make it to FA (AJ, Glennon etc)...no ****ing way..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:I would almost bet the Browns sign AJ on March 14th.He knows Hue Jackson’s system , went 2-1 with Hue as an OC .

2-1. Boy isn't that really something....
Bootz2004

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

For Cincinnati it is
Jason Bourne

Postby Selmon Rules » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

More wins than Cleveland has had in past two years combined....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:41 pm

Selmon Rules wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

More wins than Cleveland has had in past two years combined....

True , but I would take 2 wins for every loss here in a heartbeat .
Jason Bourne

Postby MJW » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:00 pm

You could see the special traits with Jimmy G when he filled in for Brady. He makes good decisions, he has a really quick release, and he's accurate. You put those three things together with even average size and arm strength and you have an excellent quarterback.

I didn't see any real special traits with McCarron. But I also didn't see as much of him. Hue Jackson obviously did judging by the trade he wanted to pull off last year. That's not nothing.
MJW

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 pm

If the Browns sign McCarron to a short deal and still draft a QB I’d be ok with it. If they give him starter money over 5 years, and don’t draft anyone else I wouldn’t.
Zarniwoop

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:10 am

Zarniwoop wrote:If the Browns sign McCarron to a short deal and still draft a QB I’d be ok with it. If they give him starter money over 5 years, and don’t draft anyone else I wouldn’t.

I'm very interested to see what happens. Hue Jackson knows him as well as anyone. And he's also got to be concerned about signing there and getting Mike Glennoned if they draft a QB high. What happens with McCarron could have HUGE implications for the draft.
MJW

Postby MJW » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:43 pm

Cowboys are planning on franchising DeMarcus Lawrence, in a move that should surprise nobody.

The good news is, this makes it more and more likely David Irving becomes available, either this offseason via trade, or next as an UFA. That dude is ascending.
MJW

Postby Super K » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 pm

MJW wrote:Cowboys are planning on franchising DeMarcus Lawrence, in a move that should surprise nobody.

The good news is, this makes it more and more likely David Irving becomes available, either this offseason via trade, or next as an UFA. That dude is ascending.

Or they work out a long term deal with Lawrence this year and franchise Irving next year (especially if he continues to blow up)...

Again, another example (Lawrence) of folks talking about a "supposed" FA to be that "fits our biggest need and would kill it here" only to see them re-sign with their team or get franchised....

The cap is WAY too big now..if you are any good, you're not goin anywhere unless your current GM/team is dumb as **** (See Dom with Michael Bennett and Licht with Donald Penn)...

What you have left is MILLIONS tossed at mid-level role players; Ayers here, Vernon (NYG) etc...

Cambell was allowed to walk and sign in Jax because the dude is 31 and his previous career high sack number of 9 came back in 2013...I'd say this year was more of an anomaly and a credit to the overall talent of the Jags D...

Tl:Dr draft better players from the get go and stop counting on FA fixing your issues..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Super K wrote:
MJW wrote:Cowboys are planning on franchising DeMarcus Lawrence, in a move that should surprise nobody.

Or they work out a long term deal with Lawrence this year and franchise Irving next year (especially if he continues to blow up)...

Again, another example (Lawrence) of folks talking about a "supposed" FA to be that "fits our biggest need and would kill it here" only to see them re-sign with their team or get franchised....

The cap is WAY too big now..if you are any good, you're not goin anywhere unless your current GM/team is dumb as **** (See Dom with Michael Bennett and Licht with Donald Penn)...

What you have left is MILLIONS tossed at mid-level role players; Ayers here, Vernon (NYG) etc...

Cambell was allowed to walk and sign in Jax because the dude is 31 and his previous career high sack number of 9 came back in 2013...I'd say this year was more of an anomaly and a credit to the overall talent of the Jags D...

Tl:Dr draft better players from the get go and stop counting on FA fixing your issues..

This. If you have good pass rushers, you'll find a way to keep them. There's a reason we're hearing rumors of the Cowboys letting Dez go. Keeping Lawrence and Irving long term will serve them better. Teams aren't just going to let quality young players walk for the hell of it. Especially when they don't have a replacement in place.

1000% agree on Calais Campbell. I don't think he has that type of year on this team. He got helped a ton by that amazing defense at all 3 levels.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:39 pm

The only way the Cowboys can justify making Lawrence the highest paid 4-3 end in football and then paying Irving market value is if they think Taco Charlton is a bust. It's honestly not more complicated than that. Not understanding how rosters are constructed doesn't give you magical powers. At some point, you have to make tough decisions.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:26 pm

MJW wrote:The only way the Cowboys can justify making Lawrence the highest paid 4-3 end in football and then paying Irving market value is if they think Taco Charlton is a bust. It's honestly not more complicated than that. Not understanding how rosters are constructed doesn't give you magical powers. At some point, you have to make tough decisions.

No crime in having more than 2 good pass rushers. Especially when 1 of them is still cheap and under team control for a few years (Charlton). And I doubt Lawrence will be the highest paid DE in the league.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:52 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:I doubt Lawrence will be the highest paid DE in the league.

Why is that?
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:53 pm

MJW wrote:The only way the Cowboys can justify making Lawrence the highest paid 4-3 end in football and then paying Irving market value is if they think Taco Charlton is a bust. It's honestly not more complicated than that. Not understanding how rosters are constructed doesn't give you magical powers. At some point, you have to make tough decisions.

At some point, yes...

But they can sign Lawrence long term this year and tag Irving next near giving them another year with all 3 on the roster and Taco still on his rookie deal...

If all 3 are that good, you keep them around for as long as possible...

If Taco is a bust, you cut his ass, possibly sign Irving LT, draft another young DE and start again, structure both Lawrence and Irving so that each is really only a 2 or 3 year deal anyway...
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:37 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:I doubt Lawrence will be the highest paid DE in the league.

Why is that?

I think Ansah will get more.
Bootz2004

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Just heard on the radio that the Jets would be willing to give Cousins 100+ million guaranteed and 30+ per year.
uscbucsfan

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Super K wrote:

At some point, yes...

But they can sign Lawrence long term this year and tag Irving next near giving them another year with all 3 on the roster and Taco still on his rookie deal...

If all 3 are that good, you keep them around for as long as possible...

If Taco is a bust, you cut his ass, possibly sign Irving LT, draft another young DE and start again, structure both Lawrence and Irving so that each is really only a 2 or 3 year deal anyway...

This. If we assume they lock up Lawrence and Irving this off-season and next, going into 2019 the Cowboys will have Demarcus Lawrence on year 2 of an expensive deal, David Irving on year 1 of an expensive deal and Taco Charlton going into year 3 of his rookie deal with a $2.7mil cap figure. Let's also assume they pick up his 5th year option. That's an additional season of team control. Don't tell me the Cowboys can't afford to keep Lawrence or Irving because of Taco.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:45 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:Just heard on the radio that the Jets would be willing to give Cousins 100+ million guaranteed and 30+ per year.

I think that's a great spot for him for many reasons.
Bootz2004

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Just heard on the radio that the Jets would be willing to give Cousins 100+ million guaranteed and 30+ per year.

I think that's a great spot for him for many reasons.

There's still rumors he may take less to go to Minn or Denver, but I think he'd do well there.
uscbucsfan

Postby Hatter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:54 pm

The Charlotte Observer's Joe Person doesn't expect the Panthers to use the franchise tag on free agent LG Andrew Norwell.
Carolina has a ton of money tied up in its offensive line with LT Matt Kalil, C Ryan Kalil, and RG Trai Turner. Tagging Norwell would leave the Panthers on the hook for a guaranteed $14.3 million-ish, money they'd likely prefer to use elsewhere. Norwell, 26, is one of the top overall free agents available.

Thats what I been hearing.. (and hoping for) :D
Hatter

Postby Mex-Buc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:09 am

Hatter wrote:
The Charlotte Observer's Joe Person doesn't expect the Panthers to use the franchise tag on free agent LG Andrew Norwell.
Carolina has a ton of money tied up in its offensive line with LT Matt Kalil, C Ryan Kalil, and RG Trai Turner. Tagging Norwell would leave the Panthers on the hook for a guaranteed $14.3 million-ish, money they'd likely prefer to use elsewhere. Norwell, 26, is one of the top overall free agents available.

Thats what I been hearing.. (and hoping for) :D

Bucs must be all over this guy as soon as FA starts.. he's a beast..
Mex-Buc

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions