***2018 Official NFL Off-Season Thread***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***2018 Official NFL Off-Season Thread***

Postby MJW » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:38 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Victimhood? Your "guilt" is reading too much into this kyddo. Relax.

Given the circumstances it's not odd what so ever. The reaction to his decision in fact is proving his reasons to be correct. They want him to do things their way on their terms. His entire career people wanted him to shut up and just play. His 1st 2 years of eligibility the writers kept him out because of his personality. And now they expect it to change? Hypocrites. There are even writers saying that THIS was the reason they kept him out so long. Another saying he would've voted for someone else who would've attended. T.O. isn't conforming to this "Just shut up and Do what I say boy" attitude and he shouldn't".

He's getting inducted into the freaking pro football HoF. He's the only person anyone here can remember turning down their own ceremony. That is the definition of odd. Maybe better synonyms you can understand are rare or unique.

It's cute you're searching the internet for TO criticism so you can white knight on his behalf. All anyone said here was it's odd to not attend your own HoF induction. Which it is by definition.

"I feel sorry for Terrell Owens. If he chooses not to attend the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies he will be missing one of the most moving and emotional experiences someone could have in football. Indescribable moments. It will be his loss, not the Hall’s."

- White person Tony Dungy.
MJW

Postby MJW » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:45 pm

Browns extend Duke Johnson for 3 years. They have a very interesting collection the backfield with Hyde, Chubb, and Johnson all under contract for at least the next three seasons. Though I doubt Hyde sees those years. Lotta different things they can do with that group, especially with Mayfield's mobility.
MJW

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:44 pm

MJW wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
He's getting inducted into the freaking pro football HoF. He's the only person anyone here can remember turning down their own ceremony. That is the definition of odd. Maybe better synonyms you can understand are rare or unique.

It's cute you're searching the internet for TO criticism so you can white knight on his behalf. All anyone said here was it's odd to not attend your own HoF induction. Which it is by definition.

"I feel sorry for Terrell Owens. If he chooses not to attend the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies he will be missing one of the most moving and emotional experiences someone could have in football. Indescribable moments. It will be his loss, not the Hall’s."

What does black person Tony Dungy say?
beardmcdoug

Postby MJW » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:49 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
MJW wrote:

What does black person Tony Dungy say?

I leave that to the board experts.
MJW

Postby sanka » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:22 am

Terrell giving the hall of fame a middle finger. :lol:
He should have been first ballot....good for him and I hope many players that feel they are worth more than a first ballot should do this often.
“The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.”
― Malcolm X
sanka

Postby MJW » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:27 am

sanka wrote:Terrelle giving the hall of fame a middle finger. :lol:
He should have been first ballot....good for him and I hope many people that they are worth more than a first ballot should do this often.

Terrell. How much can you respect a man if you can't be bothered to spell his name right?

I'm wondering if you're old enough to know that TO is literally insane.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2604695
MJW

Postby sanka » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:39 am

MJW wrote:
sanka wrote:Terrelle giving the hall of fame a middle finger. :lol:
He should have been first ballot....good for him and I hope many people that they are worth more than a first ballot should do this often.

Terrell. How much can you respect a man if you can't be bothered to spell his name right?

I stand corrected even after reading that petty bullshit, :lol:
You cannot hold a man's antics against his prolific NFL career. His stats are head to head if not better than Randy Moss.
“The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.”
― Malcolm X
sanka

Postby MJW » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:56 am

sanka wrote:
MJW wrote:

You cannot hold a man's antics against his prolific NFL career. His stats are head to head if not better than Randy Moss.

I wasn't talking about his antics. He is literally insane. He's attempted suicide, and he easily meets the DSM checkmarks for bipolar disorder. His actions have long been a cry for help. Half that list are the actions of a self-destructive, man, not a rebel badass. So is this.

Who the hell is talking about his stats or Randy Moss?
MJW

Postby sanka » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:14 am

MJW wrote:
sanka wrote:

I wasn't talking about his antics. He is literally insane. He's attempted suicide, and he easily meets the DSM checkmarks for bipolar disorder. His actions have long been a cry for help. Half that list are the actions of a self-destructive, man, not a rebel badass. So is this.

What does that have to do with his hall of fame credentials? What are we talking about here?
― Malcolm X
sanka

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:31 am

I don't think anyone is arguing that TO isn't deserving of the HoF, most everyone thinks he should've been 1st ballot.

I get why he has felt slighted.

But other great players were slighted and had to wait a couple years also.

The HoF induction is about more than just yourself. It's about your family, coaches, mentors, etc. All the people the helped along the way so that you could reach the pinnacle of football immortality.
DreadNaught

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:58 am

DreadNaught wrote:I don't think anyone is arguing that TO isn't deserving of the HoF, most everyone thinks he should've been 1st ballot.

I get why he has felt slighted.

But other great players were slighted and had to wait a couple years also.

The HoF induction is about more than just yourself. It's about your family, coaches, mentors, etc. All the people the helped along the way so that you could reach the pinnacle of football immortality.

This. No one is arguing against the fact that TO is definitely in the top 5, and probably top 3, all-time receiver discussion and as such deserves his HoF selection. Sanka just kind of missed the point.
The Outsider

Postby NYBF » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:20 am

The Outsider wrote:Sanka just kind of missed the point.

No way
NYBF

Postby Deuce » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Seems like something is brewing in New England. Lots of rumors flying around today, including one of a Gronkowski trade. Multiple writers tweeting that something is coming. There's also a Reddit poster who "broke" the story of Edelman's suspension before it happened. He says he has bigger Pats news on the way.

Some links:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jerrythornton1/status/1005131024932753409?s=21

https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1005128949935017985?s=21

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkDanielsPJ/status/1005137950605217797
Deuce

Postby Caradoc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:55 pm

MJW wrote:
sanka wrote:

Actually, he's much more likely the one of the rare males with borderline personality disorder. His actions aren't a cry for help, they are manipulative and attention seeking.
Caradoc

Postby terrytate » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:00 pm

sanka wrote:
MJW wrote:

Since you went there, no way TO is better than Moss. None. The only knock on Randy's performance on the field were a few lost years where he was disinterested, specifically his time in Oakland. They played almost the exact same number of games and Moss averaged nearly one more yard per catch with mostly better stats all around. TO never broke any all time records, Moss broke several.

Also, TO didn't influence the game like Moss did. TO was dangerous but no one talked about a fear of being TO'd the way people were terrified of being Moss'd. People still use that word, Moss'd.

The only thing in favor of TO is that he was better at making a catch over the middle when punishment was inevitable. That's a part of why TO hauled in more catches than Moss.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:50 pm

terrytate wrote:
sanka wrote:

Since you went there, no way TO is better than Moss. None. The only knock on Randy's performance on the field were a few lost years where he was disinterested, specifically his time in Oakland. They played almost the exact same number of games and Moss averaged nearly one more yard per catch with mostly better stats all around. TO never broke any all time records, Moss broke several.

Also, TO didn't influence the game like Moss did. TO was dangerous but no one talked about a fear of being TO'd the way people were terrified of being Moss'd. People still use that word, Moss'd.

The only thing in favor of TO is that he was better at making a catch over the middle when punishment was inevitable. That's a part of why TO hauled in more catches than Moss.

Seconded.

I'm not knocking TO. On the field, I think he was probably the 3rd greatest receiver ever. But that's as high as he goes. TO was a beast. He was as nasty and physical a receiver as I've ever seen. He shrugged off tacklers like a dad playing in the backyard with his son. Him gutting out the Superbowl with the Eagles and showing up the way he did in that game...that was epic.

Moss was on another level. He was basically a video game cheat code. When he wanted to show up (which was his enduring issue), the defense was helpless. I'm not being hyperbolic. There was nothing the defense could do. Double team him, triple team him, body up, play off, play zone...His quarterback could just play alley-oop. Or he could run right by guys who had 15 yard cushions like they were standing still. He was the closest thing the NFL has seen to Michael Jordan. When he decided it was his night, all the defense could do is try not to end up on a Nike poster.

If Moss had his head on straight, I'm fairly certain he would have challenged Rice not only as the greatest receiver ever, but maybe the entire NFL as the greatest player ever.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:50 am

Per Adam Kurkjian, according to multiple sources -

The Pats were fielding offers for Gronk. Had solid offers from the Titans and the 49ers. Brady told Kraft he'd retire if Gronk got traded. Kraft killed the deal.

Do with any of that what you will.
MJW

Postby acmillis » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:03 am

MJW wrote:Per Adam Kurkjian, according to multiple sources -

The Pats were fielding offers for Gronk. Had solid offers from the Titans and the 49ers. Brady told Kraft he'd retire if Gronk got traded. Kraft killed the deal.

Those relationships seem to be torn...may cause them to only win 12 games this year.
acmillis

Postby MJW » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:31 am

acmillis wrote:
MJW wrote:Per Adam Kurkjian, according to multiple sources -

Those relationships seem to be torn...may cause them to only win 12 games this year.

It'll be the usual on the field, I'm sure. But if Brady indeed played a role in Jimmy G getting dealt, and now he's preventing Belichick from making roster moves...that's...not great. For anyone.
MJW

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:25 am

MJW wrote:
acmillis wrote:Those relationships seem to be torn...may cause them to only win 12 games this year.

It'll be the usual on the field, I'm sure. But if Brady indeed played a role in Jimmy G getting dealt, and now he's preventing Belichick from making roster moves...that's...not great. For anyone.

More than not great, that’s a horrible job by ownership. Jimmy G may or may not turn out to be a great QB, but their GOAT GM/HC thought he would be great and that’s what matters. Kraft is going against Belichek for fear of losing a 40yr old QB. This is only hurting the future of this organization.
PrimeMinister

Postby acmillis » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:34 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
MJW wrote:

More than not great, that’s a horrible job by ownership. Jimmy G may or may not turn out to be a great QB, but their GOAT GM/HC thought he would be great and that’s what matters. Kraft is going against Belichek for fear of losing a 40yr old QB. This is only hurting the future of this organization.

But I think of it this way if I'm Kraft and debating whether or not to let Brady have a say in any personnel moves:

Do I have a better chance to win at least one SB with Brady for the next 1-3? years or with Jimmy G for the next (maybe) 15.

I know its not a good look to allow one guy to run a franchise a la Lebron, but if that guy is Lebron (Brady), then you kind of give in, dont you?
acmillis

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:47 am

acmillis wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

But I think of it this way if I'm Kraft and debating whether or not to let Brady have a say in any personnel moves:

Do I have a better chance to win at least one SB with Brady for the next 1-3? years or with Jimmy G for the next (maybe) 15.

I know its not a good look to allow one guy to run a franchise a la Lebron, but if that guy is Lebron (Brady), then you kind of give in, dont you?

Football games cannot be won by one guy like basketball games can be. Even in basketball the better TEAM will beat the great player for the championship anyway. The Patriots are the Patriots because of the coaching and the players brought in by Belicheck. Think of how many different winning versions of the Patriots we’ve seen since 2001. We saw the defensive minded early 2000’s Pats (three titles here), the offensive juggernaut around 2007, the two TE offense starting with Gronk and Hernandez and then the small quick WR short pass offense started with Welker. Brady plays a big role in this as the QB, but it’s Belichek who installs new winning offensive systems based on the personnel HE chose. Teams usually have to fire the coaching staff to change offensive or defensive identities the way the Pats do.

Kraft should trust the GM/HC who has built and lead his organization to 8 Super Bowls and 5 titles (omg that’s insane just to type). Belichek has proven over the years to make the right personnel move more often than not.
PrimeMinister

Postby terrytate » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:32 pm

Gronk has publicly stated that all of this is 100% unabridged fake news. He could be BSing but Gronk doesn't strike me as a guy to openly lie to toe the company line.

That said, true or false, this is all a complication from choosing the players side over the coach. Since Kraft made Billy trade Jimmy G, Brady has massive leverage and this scenario is believable. If they traded Gronk and Brady retired, that Super Bowl window is closed. The Pats don't have all that much talent atm and would need to reload and find a QB. Who knows if Bill wants to stick around that long.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:29 am

Again, one can choose to believe there's something to this, or choose not to. It's not like we'd get a straight answer. I 100% believe Belichick would deal Gronk if he thought it was the right direction for the franchise, even if he was the only one who thought so. That part I absolutely buy. And I can even see WHY he'd do it.

IMHO, we are kind of reaching a "too much smoke..." point with all the reports/subtle indicators of dysfunction in New England. I expect that there will be a leak in the dam pretty soon now.
MJW

Postby SDBucs » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:01 am

You're foolish if you think anything leaves the Pats locker room/FO like this.
SDBucs

Postby Deuce » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:35 am

SDBucs wrote:You're foolish if you think anything leaves the Pats locker room/FO like this.

Multiple people broke the Edelman news before it came out. Those same people said more news was coming. Multiple writers alluded to something happening.

It may not have been as dramatic as the story we got, but something was up. And there is a leak somewhere.
Deuce

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:59 am

Deuce wrote:
SDBucs wrote:You're foolish if you think anything leaves the Pats locker room/FO like this.

Multiple people broke the Edelman news before it came out. Those same people said more news was coming. Multiple writers alluded to something happening.

It may not have been as dramatic as the story we got, but something was up. And there is a leak somewhere.

Their locker room and thw information that gets out is no more secure than any other Locker room. If anything that organization has been one of the LEAST secure when you think about the scandals and controversies associated with them.
Bootz2004

Postby Konatown » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:45 am

Saints 1st rounder Marcus Davenport to undergo thumb surgery for a minor injury, should be ready by TC.
Konatown

Postby NYBF » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Looks like Edelman's suspension is for an unrecognizable substance. This is some textbook Herr Goodell bullshit.
NYBF

Postby Cheb » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:50 pm

NYBF wrote:Looks like Edelman's suspension is for an unrecognizable substance. This is some textbook Herr Goodell bullshit.

I'm curious as to how one could test positive for an unknown substance.
Cheb

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions