***2018 Official NFL Off-Season Thread***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***2018 Official NFL Off-Season Thread***

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:33 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Okay. Since we've decided that the playing of the national anthem before a game is a business decision rather than a solemn reverence for America's greatness, we can do away with the ridiculous notion that not abiding by the requirements of the ritual are some sort of affront to dead troops.

Our country's whole presence in global affairs / wars / geopolitics boils down to "business decisions" - business decisions that have provided the type of lifestyle we all enjoy - a lifestyle and the accompanying ideology, which people have fought and died for. You respect the sacrifice made on behalf of the collective business decisions that have yielded the lifestyles and opportunities that close to 350 million people enjoy.

Business decisions such as the privatization of the prison system that inject the profit motive into Law Enforcement and Due Process leading to mass incarceration of minorities for victimless crimes. Business decisions that influence politicians to enact outrageously long incarcerations, difficult to untenable parole and probation conditions for these crimes spurning the need for continued growth of a prison system that converts people into commodities and relies on institutionalization and recitivism coupled with increaced militarization of the police to assure the population that they are tough on crime regardless of how many people are killed without due process.

It's remarkable that Colin Kaepernick has anything to protest about.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:45 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I guess it wasn't so simple. Deflection noted. Maybe your perspective isn't as solid as it could be if all you can do is deflect on simple questions. As I stated, I think there is a fundamental disagreement here and am trying to root it out.

In response to your question; Yes, if not it wouldn't be done. That's how capitalism works. Surely you aren't suggesting Owners would willingly and knowingly lose money just so they can play the Anthem before games.

Okay. Since we've decided that the playing of the national anthem before a game is a business decision rather than a solemn reverence for America's greatness, we can do away with the ridiculous notion that not abiding by the requirements of the ritual are some sort of affront to dead troops.

Most of the owners aren't the ones saying the protest is an affront to dead troops, or shitting on the flag, or unpatriotic. It's the consumers, which is why Kaep isn't playing. You can make the logical connection for yourself that since the national anthem is a business decision, then kneeling isn't an attack on America, but that's not how the people who are protesting the game and angry like Tate see things. The owners are simply reacting and I would bet some of them see things exactly like you do, but at the end of the day it's a business. You are twisting this to open up the political rabbit hole, which you fully commit to in your next post. It's really not that complicated.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:47 am

Beard don't take the bait, that post is a complete derailment of the thread until the final sentence.
uscbucsfan

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:51 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:
Our country's whole presence in global affairs / wars / geopolitics boils down to "business decisions" - business decisions that have provided the type of lifestyle we all enjoy - a lifestyle and the accompanying ideology, which people have fought and died for. You respect the sacrifice made on behalf of the collective business decisions that have yielded the lifestyles and opportunities that close to 350 million people enjoy.

Business decisions such as the privatization of the prison system that inject the profit motive into Law Enforcement and Due Process leading to mass incarceration of minorities for victimless crimes. Business decisions that influence politicians to enact outrageously long incarcerations, difficult to untenable parole and probation conditions for these crimes spurning the need for continued growth of a prison system that converts people into commodities and relies on institutionalization and recitivism coupled with increaced militarization of the police to assure the population that they are tough on crime regardless of how many people are killed without due process.

It's remarkable that Colin Kaepernick has anything to protest about.

Great, no, you're right, there is plenty to protest about. I encourage him to do so. Those things are worth protesting.

edit: I don't really think it is, USC, those are the operative issues that assist in creating the paradigm that Kaep is protesting.

MB's inevitable answer to my response is going to get us to the fundamental issue about this: Life isn't fair, and all of history has been shaped by the jostling and ribbing of people and their ideals. Although I wish it were different - there is NEVER going to be a world with perfect justice and perfect equilibrium. The equation is near enough zero-sum and there are two many interacting variables. Injustice, in some form, will always exist. Doesn't mean the battles aren't worth fighting. Again, I encourage Kaep to continue his protest - and I would encourage him to try to curate his message and explain his stance with slightly more precision. We're floating into "they keepin the man down cuz he talkin up" area, which is a sort of meta-issue which is different than his original stance - which is a stance that is intangible, unquantifiable and is heavily founded on historical spectres which most common people don't carry around with these days. He shouldn't be surprised when his message is lost when he's done so little to actually clarify himself and his beliefs. The precision of the message has been a disaster. He has the finances, presence and influence to clarify if he really wanted to. But that's also the thing, it doesn't really seem like he wants to. He's just let the thing take on its own life and is sitting back like the poor victim. The guy didn't even vote. That sort of thing encourages the idea that this protest is just hollow bitching (whether or not it actually is). Do you think MLK would have ever not voted in the middle of his social justice movement? Could you imagine?
Last edited by beardmcdoug on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:00 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Poppycock. We've been playing the Anthem in this country before sporting events since WW2.

How is the NFL playing the anthem different from any other sports league in this country? They play the anthem before HS games.

And NFL players didn't start standing out front for the Anthem until 2009.

More deflection away from the fundamental disagreement. We've played the anthem before sporting events at various levels of competition since before either of us were even born.

Is your issue/point is that NFL players are required by their employer to stand for the Anthem now? If so you're derailing and moving the goalposts with each comment you make.
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Ok, it's about time...take this argument to the 10 circle of Hell..aka the BucZone Religion and Politics forum...
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:22 pm

I agree with SK. Talking about Kaep, the owners, the direct issue is fine, but that rabbit hole that beard took to bait for has a home in the Politics forum. Many of the posters in TD want nothing to do with it. We know why Kaep is protesting and most seem to know why he's not playing. Some don't seem to care about that and just want to stir the pot and others want to shift the narrative, but that's politics.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mex-Buc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:32 pm

Dez Bryant released from the Cowboys.

There's a report he said on the way out that he'd play against them twice next season.

GMen? Redskins? I doubt the Eagles pull the trigger on him.
Mex-Buc

Postby Super K » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:34 pm

Mex-Buc wrote:Dez Bryant released from the Cowboys.

There's a report he said on the way out that he'd play against them twice next season.

Gmen after they trade OBJ...
Super K

Postby BucaRican » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Super K wrote:

Gmen after they trade OBJ...

OBJ is not going anywhere. Dez, OBJ, Shep, Engram, and Barkley..... We will see...
BucaRican

Postby doooshnzl » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:49 pm

You fuckers that wanna talk football need to find an appropriate forum. GTFOOH
doooshnzl

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:51 pm

oh god, please giants, sign him. him, OBJ and Brandon Marshall in the same locker room...
beardmcdoug

Postby acmillis » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:04 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:oh god, please giants, sign him. him, OBJ and Brandon Marshall in the same locker room...

This was my thought too. If you really want to blow that team up, stick Dez in that locker room and get your popcorn ready.

Panthers here he comes.
acmillis

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Gotta be the Redskins. Makes the most sense from a depth chart perspective
DreadNaught

Postby terrytate » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
terrytate wrote:Kaep didnt protest police brutality. He crapped on the flag and by extension, the whole country. Maybe you and Kaep see it differently, enough people don't for an owner to worry about it affecting the bottom line and Kaep doesn't do enough on the field to make them take the chance.

That is your own simple minded, idiotic interpretation of his protest.

He hates cops and openly defended the Castro regime. Kaep is a hypocrite and I don't care what he says, only what he does. If this was just my opinion, then wouldn't he have a job right now?

If you're buying what he's selling, you're even softer in the head than I thought.
terrytate

Postby terrytate » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:05 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:oh god, please giants, sign him. him, OBJ and Brandon Marshall in the same locker room...

Ha. The locker room video would be far more entertaining than what's on the field.

I'd bet Gruden has given him a phone call too.
terrytate

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:19 pm

terrytate wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
That is your own simple minded, idiotic interpretation of his protest.

He hates cops and openly defended the Castro regime. Kaep is a hypocrite and I don't care what he says, only what he does. If this was just my opinion, then wouldn't he have a job right now?

If you're buying what he's selling, you're even softer in the head than I thought.

What he's said and done have been consistent with his message. But like most thick-headed, wanna be "do-gooders" your own selfishness and control issues have blinded you from even considering or opening your eyes to what his message has been. He hates police brutality. People like you are too stupid to acknowledge that. You choose to hide behind "he crapped on the flag". You're so stupid you don't realize you've changed your stance from he crapped on the cap to he hates cops and defended Castro. Guess what, this country defended Castro at 1 point in time and a lot of this country hates cops as well. Idiots like you don't get that. You're too busy wanting people to do what you want them to do.
Bootz2004

Postby Rocker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen: Projection 101.
Rocker

Postby Four Verticals » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:45 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Four Verticals wrote:
The NFL's decision to wrap itself around the flag to some degree has been a partial cause of the situation.

Poppycock. We've been playing the Anthem in this country before sporting events since WW2.

How is the NFL playing the anthem different from any other sports league in this country? They play the anthem before HS games.

The other sports didn't get paid for it for years.
Four Verticals

Postby Four Verticals » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:46 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Four Verticals wrote:
Yes but it appears to be a fairly widespread interpretation.

It was also a widespread interpretation that the Earth was the center of the solar system. That did not make it correct.

You have done a spectacular job of missing my point.
Four Verticals

Postby Four Verticals » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:49 pm

uscbucsfan wrote: It's the consumers, which is why Kaep isn't playing. ..... It's really not that complicated.

Correct on both counts.
Four Verticals

Postby terrytate » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:30 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
terrytate wrote:

What he's said and done have been consistent with his message. But like most thick-headed, wanna be "do-gooders" your own selfishness and control issues have blinded you from even considering or opening your eyes to what his message has been. He hates police brutality. People like you are too stupid to acknowledge that. You choose to hide behind "he crapped on the flag". You're so stupid you don't realize you've changed your stance from he crapped on the cap to he hates cops and defended Castro. Guess what, this country defended Castro at 1 point in time and a lot of this country hates cops as well. Idiots like you don't get that. You're too busy wanting people to do what you want them to do.

My message hasn't changed, I simply added to it. There are words for people who just unilaterally hate cops, criminals and idiots... Lastly, when did the US ever support Castro? They started planning to assassinate him 10 minutes after they met him.

You're bad at this.
terrytate

Postby Cheb » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:32 am

James Harrison retires from the NFL (again).

I hope the door hits him in the ass on the way out. Christ, what an ***hole.
Cheb

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:02 pm

Broncos to release RB C.J. Anderson
Phantom Phenom

Postby ComingThisFall » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Would like to have CJ Anderson here, if we can afford him.
ComingThisFall

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:39 am

Report: Saquon Barkley’s agents don’t want him to go to Cleveland
Phantom Phenom

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:42 am

Roc Nation disputes report that firm wants Saquon Barkley to avoid Cleveland
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Good job, Outsider.
mdb1958

Postby Nano » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:11 am

Week 1 MNF: Jets @ Lions
Nano

Postby Mex-Buc » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:33 am

Nano wrote:Week 1 MNF: Jets @ Lions

Lol, who the **** would want to see this? I don't get it, what's attractive about this game? :lol:
Mex-Buc

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions