***OFFICIAL 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***OFFICIAL 2018 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Off-Season Thread!

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:21 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Has the combine ever had a major impact on who I wanted to draft? Seriously, give an example. or STFU.

I don't know, kiddo. That's up to you to decide. But I like how you made a stance that the combine is important in determining if a guy like Ferrell has untapped potential or not then you turn around and tear your entire stance down lol. Gold!

The combine means something, it's just not the be all end all. Pretty simple stance to get, but you're too dense to understand balanced views, everything has to be one extreme or the other with you...
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:33 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
I don't know, kiddo. That's up to you to decide. But I like how you made a stance that the combine is important in determining if a guy like Ferrell has untapped potential or not then you turn around and tear your entire stance down lol. Gold!

The combine means something, it's just not the be all end all. Pretty simple stance to get, but you're too dense to understand balanced views, everything has to be one extreme or the other with you...

No I get it. Its not the end all be all. Its also wouldn't suggest whether he had any untapped potential or not.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:59 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The combine means something, it's just not the be all end all. Pretty simple stance to get, but you're too dense to understand balanced views, everything has to be one extreme or the other with you...

No I get it. Its not the end all be all. Its also wouldn't suggest whether he had any untapped potential or not.

Generally speaking... and especially for edge rushers... untapped potential usually refers to a players natural athletic gifts...
real bucs fan

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:07 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I always get a chuckle when I read that comment from you folks that are really into the draft process. I mean, what can Ferrell do between now and the draft to change your mind? He's not going to be playing anymore games, so there won't be any new info to add to the stats he accrued during his collegiate career. Surely you're not going to say his combine performance would change your mind. I mean, most everyone in here is always saying how "the combine doesn't really mean anything." So what would make Ferrell less of a "tough sell" for you to draft him with that #7 pick?

Edit: I'm not trying to be a Bootz here. I'm being sincere. I'm not nearly into the draft as you and others here are, so I'm really just trying to understand.

real bucs fan wrote:If Ferrell walks into the combine and tests like Myles Garrett, then ya, I think he'd move up boards. It would suggest there is untapped potential, especially for a guy who is only 20, beyond what was showed on tape.

yeah, I mean, there's this, and things like how do guys handle the interviews, sometimes there's leaks like "several teams have said that so and so is absolutely killing it on the whiteboard in meetings", what's their attitudes like during media days, what do their bodies look like without pads - seeing whether they have the frame to add pounds.

Also, with the exception of maybe 5-10 guys here who are already neck deep in their scouting - let's be real, most of us are going off of relatively half-baked opinions of what we've seen in relatively little action, maybe I watched a couple mins of a highlight to get an idea, maybe keyed in on a guy when I caught of game of his this fall, maybe I've read a couple scouting reports - that sort of thing - and now that football is gone on sat and sunday, I'm sure folks like me will be itching for any football and begin truly evaluating guys - watching full game breakdowns and that sort of thing.

I get what you're saying though. Probably 75-90% of what you think about a guy at this point has already been decided - the information that follows just serves to help you decide who you want to move up or down on your board by a few spots, IMO, at least

Awesome response! Exactly what I was looking for. I still want MJW to weigh in on this though. Not that I don't value your opinion, but she is also very vocal and very specific about various players in the drafts each year, so I want to hear her take on the subject too. What would make her change her mind about a player, at the end of December, she was "meh" between January and April. The Combine? Having more time to study tape? Coach talk? What exactly?
Last edited by Buc2 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:14 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Generally speaking... and especially for edge rushers... untapped potential usually refers to a players natural athletic gifts...

Wrong. Untapped potential refers to a guys ability to fine tune everything. The talent is already there. But specifically for pass rushers can they improve their hand usage? Learn a variety of pass rush moves? Improve their play recognition? Those are the things that determine a players untapped potential. All of these guys are talented. Most of them get by in college off of their natural athletic gifts. The ones that separate themselves are the guys who work on their craft and fine tune the smaller details.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Generally speaking... and especially for edge rushers... untapped potential usually refers to a players natural athletic gifts...

Wrong. Untapped potential refers to a guys ability to fine tune everything. The talent is already there. But specifically for pass rushers can they improve their hand usage? Learn a variety of pass rush moves? Improve their play recognition? Those are the things that determine a players untapped potential. All of these guys are talented. Most of them get by in college off of their natural athletic gifts. The ones that separate themselves are the guys who work on their craft and fine tune the smaller details.

I think that was what RBF was saying in that the player has "natural athletic gifts" but due to the litany of things you mentioned that can be further developed there is more "untapped potential".
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:20 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Generally speaking... and especially for edge rushers... untapped potential usually refers to a players natural athletic gifts...

Exactly. I don't see how the **** "untapped potential" could manifest itself at one event (the Combine). Today, such n such was feeling great and ran his best ever 40 times. Bfd. Tomorrow, his times might be right back where he was. To me, untapped potential is more a players mental capacity to use his athletic abilities to their fullest, thus enhancing their likelihood of excelling at the next level.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:20 pm

Buc2 wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

yeah, I mean, there's this, and things like how do guys handle the interviews, sometimes there's leaks like "several teams have said that so and so is absolutely killing it on the whiteboard in meetings", what's their attitudes like during media days, what do their bodies look like without pads - seeing whether they have the frame to add pounds.

Also, with the exception of maybe 5-10 guys here who are already neck deep in their scouting - let's be real, most of us are going off of relatively half-baked opinions of what we've seen in relatively little action, maybe I watched a couple mins of a highlight to get an idea, maybe keyed in on a guy when I caught of game of his this fall, maybe I've read a couple scouting reports - that sort of thing - and now that football is gone on sat and sunday, I'm sure folks like me will be itching for any football and begin truly evaluating guys - watching full game breakdowns and that sort of thing.

I get what you're saying though. Probably 75-90% of what you think about a guy at this point has already been decided - the information that follows just serves to help you decide who you want to move up or down on your board by a few spots, IMO, at least

Awesome response! Exactly what I was looking for. I still want MJW to weigh in on this though. Not that I don't value your opinion, but she is also very vocal and very specific about various players in the drafts each year, so I want to hear her take on the subject too. What would make her change her mind about a player, at the end of December, she was "meh" between January and April. The Combine? Having more time to study tape? Coach talk? What exactly?

Buc2, are you saying that you've seen and learned ALL you're going to on every prospect already?
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:21 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Awesome response! Exactly what I was looking for. I still want MJW to weigh in on this though. Not that I don't value your opinion, but she is also very vocal and very specific about various players in the drafts each year, so I want to hear her take on the subject too. What would make her change her mind about a player, at the end of December, she was "meh" between January and April. The Combine? Having more time to study tape? Coach talk? What exactly?

Buc2, are you saying that you've seen and learned ALL you're going to on every prospect already?

Not me, man! I get my scouting reports come from all you guys. I don't know much of **** about a prospect that I don't read here first. :D
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Unless you are Jedi mind tricking the QB into your arms, untapped talent for pass rushers is generally related to ones physical traits.
real bucs fan

Postby Caradoc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:42 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

He just wants to argue.
Caradoc

Postby Nano » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:47 pm

Nano

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Gronk gets additional $2.5 million contract incentive for making All-Pro. Had already unlocked another $3 mil for going over 1,000 yds

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/05/gronk-makes-2-5-million-with-all-pro-honor/

lol PFT comment:
"Gronk catch ball….Gronk run over DB….Gronk get paid"
beardmcdoug

Postby Deuce » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:51 pm

I was randomly thinking football thoughts and remember the stat that "no team that had lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers went on to win the Super Bowl in that season".

Did the Saints break that in 2009? No other teams have broken it, have they?
Deuce

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Deuce wrote:I was randomly thinking football thoughts and remember the stat that "no team that had lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers went on to win the Super Bowl in that season".

Did the Saints break that in 2009? No other teams have broken it, have they?

Yes 09 Saints broke that streak.
Bootz2004

Postby Buc You » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:03 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:"Gronk catch ball….Gronk run over DB….Gronk get paid"

"Gronk just pawn in game of life."
Buc You

Postby DanTurksGhost » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:05 pm

I think Eric Curry was the greatest draft pick ever!
DanTurksGhost

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:21 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:I think Eric Curry was the greatest draft pick ever!

I heard that dude was weak as hell ... couldn’t bench 220 very many times at all
Jason Bourne

Postby DanTurksGhost » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:48 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:I think Eric Curry was the greatest draft pick ever!

I heard that dude was weak as hell ... couldn’t bench 220 very many times at all

Zero reps, baby!
DanTurksGhost

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:53 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

Zero reps, baby!

Good grief , how could they draft a guy like that ?
Jason Bourne

Postby DanTurksGhost » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:11 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:
Zero reps, baby!

Not literally, but almost. I don't recall the exact number, but it was very few. He was weak as hell, and he only had one move. Blame Rich McKay for that pick. McKay was the same guy who wanted to stay put and pick Mike Mamula instead of trade down and take a shot at getting Warren Sapp.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:24 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

Not literally, but almost. I don't recall the exact number, but it was very few. He was weak as hell, and he only had one move. Blame Rich McKay for that pick. McKay was the same guy who wanted to stay put and pick Mike Mamula instead of trade down and take a shot at getting Warren Sapp.

Holy crap .. the greatness that was Mike Mamula

Charles McRae was another gem, Tennessee guy .

Kieth McCants , what was his deal ? I thought he would be good
Jason Bourne

Postby DanTurksGhost » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:39 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:Kieth McCants , what was his deal ? I thought he would be good

Injury. Staff wanted Junior Seau, but Ray Perkins coached McCants in college and overrode the staff's draft board and took McCants based on his own personal experience with him, against recommendations.

BTW:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 12th-time/
DanTurksGhost

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:Kieth McCants , what was his deal ? I thought he would be good

Injury. Staff wanted Junior Seau, but Ray Perkins coached McCants in college and overrode the staff's draft board and took McCants based on his own personal experience with him, against recommendations.

BTW:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 12th-time/

Ive heard about his troubles didn’t realize 12 arrest .. hope he gets help ..
Jason Bourne

Postby PlinkoBuccaneer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi, Bucs fans! :) Here are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2018 Offseason Calendar, with major Key Dates between now and training camp. ;)

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article- ... 5f0f97db73
PlinkoBuccaneer

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:20 pm

PlinkoBuccaneer wrote:Hi, Bucs fans! :) Here are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official 2018 Offseason Calendar, with major Key Dates between now and training camp. ;)

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article- ... 5f0f97db73

:drinkingcheers: :drinkingcheers:
Phantom Phenom

Postby LavonteDavid54 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:07 pm

Reaching for a need over best player available is purely stupid. Why would I want an underachieving DE who had a good combine but not eye popping on tape. Over the top guard or safety both of which may not be #1 need but are #2,3 respectively. If you don't think Larry Allen , or Steve Hutchinson or Alan Faneca weren't as valuable as a middle of the road LT or sub par DE then you don't know football. Minn had Jake Reed n Chris Carter yet took a guy named Moss. How'd that work out? Think about it we draft Ferrell who imo can't get low n dip his hips ala Simeon Rice. He ends up marginal, now we still need pass rusher and the help on the O line. Atleast taking the guard you are shoring up the line with Marpet, and Dotson.I think Chubb is above average. Is he Peter Boulware? Or Khalil Mack or Von Miller? Who knows I doubt it. However he had produced with the numbers two years in a row.I think a playmaker in the secondary is a must address position this offseason.Ive read rumors of the honey badger, that be a nice piece,one less worry on draft day.The problem is we are on our knees in need of an edge rusher but if Chubb's the real deal okay. If he's gone gotta grab the guard , if he's gone then either Fitzpatrick or Derwin James from FSU. I'm sick of Conte n Tandy n anyone other than Evans (who has potential).RB will need to be addressed as well. Barber had moments so did Earnest Graham but they are no AP, Fournette, Cook , Kamara. Imagine getting Nelson at guard n grabbing a nice RB to bring life to our RB? I've seen all the playoff QB numbers off play action who have these guys and it's astonishing! . Last word, if things fall strange I'd be all for dropping back a couple spots if someone may still be there at like 9 or 10 we like n are sure of still getting.FA could help drastically so we aren't trying to fill everything in one draft.
LavonteDavid54

Postby Rocker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:14 pm

Holy wall of text, Batman!

Format your ****, dude.
Rocker

Postby LavonteDavid54 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:23 pm

One move I think would greatly benefit our defense. Is switching Kwon to outside and Beckwith inside. Each guy played there in college and for some reason Tampa had them flip flopped. Beckwith is bigger and more of a thumper. Kwon is under 230 lbs and has been banged up every year. He sometimes gets engulfed in certain games. I feel that would help immensely. David n Kwon outside with Beckwith the thumper in the middle.I think Kwon , who is a playmaker , would have more freelance room n would stay on the field more.Id also put Godwin at #2 and put Djax in slot.Get him on underneath stuff n slants take advantage of his size n quickness.
LavonteDavid54

Postby LavonteDavid54 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:26 pm

Rocker wrote:Holy wall of text, Batman!

Format your ****, dude.

Sorry man. My emotions got the best of me. I'll work on it.I sit back and usually stay quiet, so when I spoke I had too much to say.
LavonteDavid54

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions