***Official 2018 NFL Playoffs Thread***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***Official 2018 NFL Playoffs Thread***

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:36 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I had to google what a Maybach was. :(

Lol. Luxurious and palatial Mercedes

And this would be why players still play despite the now obvious risks to their health and sanity. Because there are very few ways a kid from the 7th Ward in New Orleans could be driving a Maybach at 21 years old otherwise. Please bookmark this point for the next time the discussion comes up.
MJW

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:07 am

Gene Steratore will be referee for Super Bowl LII
Phantom Phenom

Postby acmillis » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:35 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:Gene Steratore will be referee for Super Bowl LII

In case anyone forgot...

acmillis

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:56 am

I don't get why people have a problem with that
beardmcdoug

Postby Deuce » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:38 am

beardmcdoug wrote:I don't get why people have a problem with that

Dude...the ref went rogue (outside normal procedures) and stuck a folded piece of paper between the ball and marker to determine a first down at a crucial point in a game. Really?

The funny part to me is that the entire ball spotting procedure is an inexact science. Does anyone actually think it's accurate down to the millimeter all the way down the field? lol
Deuce

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:51 am

Deuce wrote:

Dude...the ref went rogue (outside normal procedures) and stuck a folded piece of paper between the ball and marker to determine a first down at a crucial point in a game. Really?

The funny part to me is that the entire ball spotting procedure is an inexact science. Does anyone actually think it's accurate down to the millimeter all the way down the field? lol

Ya, in a game of inches, it's kind of ridiculous. I think it's only a matter of time before they use tech to dtermine this stuff- not unlike the puck technology the NHL is developing to decide whether a puck crossed a goaline by 51% or not.
real bucs fan

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 am

Deuce wrote:

I mean, I guess he shouldn't have folded the paper... but I don't see why using a straight edge tool to bridge the gap between the marker and the ball tip is a wrong to do. And of course he's smirking, he knows he just did something pretty unconventional. people need to lighten up about it...

and your point about the millimeters is right... the balls spot will *never* be EXACTLY where the ball carrier was down. And then even if you're measuring with chains, unless the two guys at either ends of the chains are EXACTLY in line vertically down the field, there will be an inherent shortening of the length of "10 yards", relative to the field because of the skewed angle

i forget though, that this is really just about people's need to bitch about pointless stuff though (not directed at you, Duece - directed at the PFT comments I read this morning)
beardmcdoug

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:59 am

acmillis wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Gene Steratore will be referee for Super Bowl LII

In case anyone forgot...

The smirk is the best part of that whole thing lol.

He looks like he was thinking “Oh...this is going to be goooooood on TV. Best drama of the week”.
PrimeMinister

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:01 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
acmillis wrote:In case anyone forgot...

As a neutral fan, I lol'd like a mf'er. If that measurement went against my team and cost us a meaningful game though, I'd be livid.
real bucs fan

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:03 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Deuce wrote:

I mean, I guess he shouldn't have folded the paper... but I don't see why using a straight edge tool to bridge the gap between the marker and the ball tip is a wrong to do. And of course he's smirking, he knows he just did something pretty unconventional. people need to lighten up about it...

and your point about the millimeters is right... the balls spot will *never* be EXACTLY where the ball carrier was down. And then even if you're measuring with chains, unless the two guys at either ends of the chains are EXACTLY in line vertically down the field, there will be an inherent shortening of the length of "10 yards", relative to the field because of the skewed angle

i forget though, that this is really just about people's need to bitch about pointless stuff though (not directed at you, Duece - directed at the PFT comments I read this morning)

I hope we never change how we measure first downs. Having the in-exact science of the chain gang is part of football. Getting a good or bad spot is part of the game.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:05 am

real bucs fan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

As a neutral fan, I lol'd like a mf'er. If that measurement went against my team and cost us a meaningful game though, I'd be livid.

I loved it and lol’d as well. He shouldn’t have folded the card, but smart thinking to use a straight edge to help. I loved the high drama of the moment. Well done, Gene, on keeping us entertained.
PrimeMinister

Postby Deuce » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:19 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Like most here, I agree that it's pretty funny. But yeah, if it went against the Bucs with playoffs on the line or something, I'd have more than a few negative posts about it.
Deuce

Postby DanTurksGhost » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:59 pm

I still hate the Eagles with a passion. Their fans are just about the worst in the league. But even though I hate them so much, I still hate the other three teams in our division more. My hate levels are 1: Our division opponents; 2: The Eagles. 3: Our old NFC South opponents. Everyone else I can take or leave.
DanTurksGhost

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Deuce wrote:

The chain is exactly 10 yards in length, so if there no space between the ball and marker than it's a 1st down. I don't have an issue w/ using an index card to verify there was no space. I agree it should not have been folded through. I also agree technology should make those determinations.

Either way I've always thought Steratore was one of the best Refs and glad when he's doing a Bucs game. Alot better than that old **** Walt Coleman.
DreadNaught

Postby Caradoc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:05 pm

If you are going to use a card you should also use a level to make sure both sticks are exactly perpendicular to the ground or your highly scientific method of exact measurement is potentially off.

The whole thing was showboating or trolling. He should have just called it.
Caradoc

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:53 pm

Caradoc wrote:
The whole thing was showboating or trolling. He should have just called it.

Nothing wrong with that.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:25 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Deuce wrote:

The chain is exactly 10 yards in length, so if there no space between the ball and marker than it's a 1st down. I don't have an issue w/ using an index card to verify there was no space. I agree it should not have been folded through. I also agree technology should make those determinations.

Either way I've always thought Steratore was one of the best Refs and glad when he's doing a Bucs game. Alot better than that old **** Walt Coleman.

Frankly, it's kind of bizarre some of the tech the NFL has embraced in recent years, yet we're still letting a 60 year old squinting man determine close first downs. We really can't put a chip in the ball and the marker? Really?
MJW

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:03 am

Deuce wrote:

That always cracks me up. They randomly spot the ball, and then hold it down, like it's going to randomly move, to measure. But then again the center moves the ball several feet before every snap.
Kress

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:15 am

What's up with this Brady hand injury thing. And more so, the media claiming that the Jags will go after that hand as a result. No crap. That's the hand holding the football. Of course you go for it. That's every play ever.
Kress

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:22 am

Kress wrote:What's up with this Brady hand injury thing. And more so, the media claiming that the Jags will go after that hand as a result. No crap. That's the hand holding the football. Of course you go for it. That's every play ever.

I think Brady is just ensuring another great story when he goes 35-39 with 4 TDs on Sunday. "The Hand Game."

I'm only half-kidding.
MJW

Postby Hit55 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:33 am

MJW wrote:
Kress wrote:What's up with this Brady hand injury thing. And more so, the media claiming that the Jags will go after that hand as a result. No crap. That's the hand holding the football. Of course you go for it. That's every play ever.

I think Brady is just ensuring another great story when he goes 35-39 with 4 TDs on Sunday. "The Hand Game."

I'm only half-kidding.

And if they happen to lose, they'll have an easy excuse. It's actually quite brilliant!
Hit55

Postby Caradoc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:35 am

MJW wrote:

I think Brady is just ensuring another great story when he goes 35-39 with 4 TDs on Sunday. "The Hand Job."

I'm only half-kidding.

FIFY
Caradoc

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:54 am

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:06 am

MJW wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Frankly, it's kind of bizarre some of the tech the NFL has embraced in recent years, yet we're still letting a 60 year old squinting man determine close first downs. We really can't put a chip in the ball and the marker? Really?

We can hardly get a decent look straight down the goal line, back of the endzone, or sideline. But every stadium is wired for that stupid flying camera ****.
NYBF

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:07 am

NYBF wrote:
MJW wrote:

We can hardly get a decent look straight down the goal line, back of the endzone, or sideline. But every stadium is wired for that stupid flying camera ****.

dude I love that stupid flying camera ****
beardmcdoug

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:56 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
NYBF wrote:

dude I love that stupid flying camera ****

same here.. I wish the NFL would broadcast a whole game with the stupid flying camera angle.. they did the majority of a game on TNF a few times, but I want the whole game.

Spider Cam.
Noles1724

Postby NYBF » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:01 pm

I get it. I just think you'd invest in some pretty simple tech to get a more definitive answer to "did he score," or "is he out of bounds" before going for gimmicks. But everyone loves gimmicks.
NYBF

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:55 pm

I abhor that flying camera angle. It's moving around, and from an odd angle. You can't tell what the hell is going on.
Kress

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:02 pm

NYBF wrote:I get it. I just think you'd invest in some pretty simple tech to get a more definitive answer to "did he score," or "is he out of bounds" before going for gimmicks. But everyone loves gimmicks.

Watch tennis. Their cameras instantly and accurately tell an in or out of bounds. Why can't football be as efficient? Then again, we still don't know what a catch is, so....
Kress

Postby Native Son » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:28 pm

SOOOOO CLOOOOOSE..........
To seeing Minnesota host the Super Bowl.

And beating the PATS. er The Jags!!! :shock:
Native Son

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions