Your Bucs Free Agent Wish List

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Your Bucs Free Agent Wish List

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:43 pm

MarineBuc wrote:I like Brate as much as most fans. I want Brate to remain a Buc, but let's not forget Brate dropped a pretty simple TD pass against the Patriots...a CRUSHING drop. Some of the hyperbole over him is just silly.

By that logic we should let Evans go, as well. Brate is our most dependable receiver. I like Howard a lot, but he needs to work on his fumblitis.
theBKwhopper

Postby Caradoc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Brate is going to get something in the ballpark of 5-7 million. That isn't a lot. It's a couple mill off of what the very best get. No reason to not pay that much for such a good player. It's certainly not going to make the difference between "Ansah and an Ayers type guy"

Oh, and he's not a situational player, and he doesn't play only 40% of snaps like some claim. He played a little under 55%. Know who else played about 55% of snaps? DJax, who is getting paid a lot more for a lot less.
Caradoc

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:25 pm

Caradoc wrote:Brate is going to get something in the ballpark of 5-7 million. That isn't a lot. It's a couple mill off of what the very best get. No reason to not pay that much for such a good player. It's certainly not going to make the difference between "Ansah and an Ayers type guy"

Oh, and he's not a situational player, and he doesn't play only 40% of snaps like some claim. He played a little under 55%. Know who else played about 55% of snaps? DJax, who is getting paid a lot more for a lot less.

Lies. Djax played more snaps in 13.5 games than Brate played in 16. Had Djax played the full Falcons game and the final 2 games his snap counts would've been higher while Brate's likely would've been fewer.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:03 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Caradoc wrote:Brate is going to get something in the ballpark of 5-7 million. That isn't a lot. It's a couple mill off of what the very best get. No reason to not pay that much for such a good player. It's certainly not going to make the difference between "Ansah and an Ayers type guy"

Lies. Djax played more snaps in 13.5 games than Brate played in 16. Had Djax played the full Falcons game and the final 2 games his snap counts would've been higher while Brate's likely would've been fewer.

So everything else he said was correct?

Good to know.
Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:38 pm

Cheb wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

So everything else he said was correct?

Good to know.

Unless he works in the Buccaneers payroll department he doesn't know what kind of annual contract Brate will receive. He also doesnt know how the Bucs plan to utilize their cap space this off-season, that is unless his name is Jason Licht. So no, everything he said isn't correct.
Bootz2004

Postby terrytate » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Ansah and the best CB we can get our mitts on. Either Xavier Rhodes or Trumaine Johnson.

Those two won't fix everything but it will let us just take the BPA at 7. Be it Chubb, Nelson, James or maybe even Barkley.
terrytate

Postby Deja Entendu » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:48 pm

terrytate wrote:Ansah and the best CB we can get our mitts on. Either Xavier Rhodes or Trumaine Johnson.

Those two won't fix everything but it will let us just take the BPA at 7. Be it Chubb, Nelson, James or maybe even Barkley.

If you have a plan for that I'm all ears.
Deja Entendu

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:17 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
terrytate wrote:Ansah and the best CB we can get our mitts on. Either Xavier Rhodes or Trumaine Johnson.

Go back in time to 2013, don't trade our 1st round pick, draft Rhodes instead. That's the only way we're getting him.
theBKwhopper

Postby terrytate » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:41 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:

Isn't Rhodes a FA this year? He was on the list I saw.
terrytate

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:06 am

terrytate wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:

He signed a 6 year extension in July.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:19 am

I'm a little more bullish on what he'll get on the open market. Charles Clay (same age, similar game) got 5/38 from the Bills, and that was two years ago.

And yes, he is a part time player. Your "55%" number factors in the first few weeks, before Howard earned the job, and the last two, when Howard was hurt. Once Howard won the job, and before he got hurt, Brate's snap % numbers were:

6 - 52.8%
7 - 59.7%
8 - 57.6%
9 - 46.5%
10 - 62.1%
11 - 47.9%
12 - 42,1%
13 - 35.2%
14 - 45.8%

That's part-time as hell right there. Especially that last month. The offense isn't designed for Howard and Brate to line up to together. They're too similar as primarily pass-catching tight ends. Brate is now Howard's backup. I don't know about you, but I'm not giving a backup tight end a similar contract to Greg Olsen's.
MJW

Postby terrytate » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:20 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
terrytate wrote:

He signed a 6 year extension in July.

Ahhh..... must have been an an FA list from early in the offseason that I saw. In hindsight, I should have known there was a reason no one else was talking about him.
terrytate

Postby BayAreaBucFan25 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:56 am

Why are you just willing to part ways with brate? If we can resign him and not have it affect us signing FA and draft picks why not bring him back? He has been reliable for us most often then not, ok he drops some passes but who doesn't? Nothing in the NFL is certain and how bad would it be if we let him walk and Howard gets hurt next year, that would piss me off.
BayAreaBucFan25

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:15 am

BayAreaBucFan25 wrote:Why are you just willing to part ways with brate? If we can resign him and not have it affect us signing FA and draft picks why not bring him back? He has been reliable for us most often then not, ok he drops some passes but who doesn't? Nothing in the NFL is certain and how bad would it be if we let him walk and Howard gets hurt next year, that would piss me off.

Read the thread, make up your own mind. But it's been discussed.
MJW

Postby BayAreaBucFan25 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:31 am

MJW wrote:
BayAreaBucFan25 wrote:Why are you just willing to part ways with brate? If we can resign him and not have it affect us signing FA and draft picks why not bring him back? He has been reliable for us most often then not, ok he drops some passes but who doesn't? Nothing in the NFL is certain and how bad would it be if we let him walk and Howard gets hurt next year, that would piss me off.

Read the thread, make up your own mind. But it's been discussed.

All I'm saying is that if we have the money to keep him here, and still sign a top tier FA, I don't think it would be wise to let him walk and potentially turn a strength of the team into being an injury away from a glaring hole.
BayAreaBucFan25

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:24 am

MJW wrote:

I'm a little more bullish on what he'll get on the open market. Charles Clay (same age, similar game) got 5/38 from the Bills, and that was two years ago.

And yes, he is a part time player. Your "55%" number factors in the first few weeks, before Howard earned the job, and the last two, when Howard was hurt. Once Howard won the job, and before he got hurt, Brate's snap % numbers were:

6 - 52.8%
7 - 59.7%
8 - 57.6%
9 - 46.5%
10 - 62.1%
11 - 47.9%
12 - 42,1%
13 - 35.2%
14 - 45.8%

That's part-time as hell right there. Especially that last month. The offense isn't designed for Howard and Brate to line up to together. They're too similar as primarily pass-catching tight ends. Brate is now Howard's backup. I don't know about you, but I'm not giving a backup tight end a similar contract to Greg Olsen's.

He was beat up. Let him go and Howard gets beat up - then what. If so, we had better be prepared to run our offense another way and be good at it.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:27 am

If business is the only way of looking at this, then you piss him and his agent off period. If he plays poorly or loses play time he is only hurting his future pay day.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:16 am

mdb1958 wrote:If business is the only way of looking at this, then you piss him and his agent off period. If he plays poorly or loses play time he is only hurting his future pay day.

Business IS the only way of looking at it, MDB. It's the football business, and it's about putting the best possible 53 out there with the available resources. Based on usage, scheme, and complimentary talent, I don't see making Cameron Brate one of the 5-7 highest paid tight ends in the league as working towards that.
MJW

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:35 am

terrytate wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:

Unfortunately not.
Deja Entendu

Postby Doctor » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Word on the street is that the Cardinals are going to ask Tyrann Mathieu to restructure or take a pay cut. If they can't agree on a new deal they could end up parting ways. IIRC, Litch was a big Tyrann Mathieu fan while he was in Arizona.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:51 pm

Doctor wrote:Word on the street is that the Cardinals are going to ask Tyrann Mathieu to restructure or take a pay cut. If they can't agree on a new deal they could end up parting ways. IIRC, Litch was a big Tyrann Mathieu fan while he was in Arizona.

Justin Evans is already here.
Bootz2004

Postby Mex-Buc » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:57 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Doctor wrote:Word on the street is that the Cardinals are going to ask Tyrann Mathieu to restructure or take a pay cut. If they can't agree on a new deal they could end up parting ways. IIRC, Litch was a big Tyrann Mathieu fan while he was in Arizona.

Why not both?
Mex-Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:59 pm

Mex-Buc wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Why not both?

They play the same position. Mathieu can't stay healthy.
Bootz2004

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:06 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Mex-Buc wrote:
Why not both?

I think it’s more honey badger can’t stay healthy , he could play SS, he has played 24 % of the time, 6% FS and 70 % Slot Cb

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnati ... aid-safety
Jason Bourne

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I think it’s more honey badger can’t stay healthy , he could play SS, he has played 24 % of the time, 6% FS and 70 % Slot Cb

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnati ... aid-safety

Interesting. I knew he did some slot but he's basically their slot corner.
Bootz2004

Postby Teitan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:24 pm

He’s very versatile. But like you said, the health is an issue.
Teitan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:27 pm

If Mike Smith stays here than Honey Badger could certainly be paired with Evans at Safety. We paired both Conte and Tandy with Evans at different times this year and Mathieu is more physical near the LOS as Conte or Tandy.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:43 pm

I'd love Mathieu. Not only could he pair with Evans, he could mentor him as well.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Mex-Buc wrote:
Why not both?

Incredible, everything you just said is wrong.

Evans is a hybrid safety, Mike Smith bragged about it all TC. Same with Mathieu. They can both play either position just fine.
Mathieu played all 16 games in 2017 and ended the year having played more snaps than any other player in the NFL.

McCoy missed 23 games in his first five years. Mathieu has missed 16 in his first five. Injuries happen. Should we not have extended McCoy because he "can't stay healthy"?
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Doctor wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Incredible, everything you just said is wrong.

Evans is a hybrid safety, Mike Smith bragged about it all TC. Same with Mathieu. They can both play either position just fine.
Mathieu played all 16 games in 2017 and ended the year having played more snaps than any other player in the NFL.

McCoy missed 23 games in his first five years. Mathieu has missed 16 in his first five. Injuries happen. Should we not have extended McCoy because he "can't stay healthy"?

He's versatile. I'll give you that. But let's not pretend like the guys hasn't torn BOTH ACLs in the last 5 years and had numerous other injuries. He finally had a healthy season. Good on him. But the fact that he has more ACL tears than he does 16 game seasons in the NFL would give 1 reason to be worried if he signed here for a ton of money.
Bootz2004

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions