Your Bucs Free Agent Wish List

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Your Bucs Free Agent Wish List

Postby Doctor » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:05 pm

It may be a week too soon but so what. Lots of big name free agents could be hitting the market.

Le'Veon Bell, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Jarvis Landry, WR, Miami Dolphins

Jimmy Graham, TE, Seattle Seahawks

Trumaine Johnson, CB, Los Angeles Rams

Doc's Picks

Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Dallas Cowboys

Andrew Norwell, OG, Carolina Panthers
Last edited by Doctor on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor

Re: Your Bucs Free Agent Wish List

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:09 pm

Packers signed Adams to a four-year contract extension

Steelers will not let Bell go period
Phantom Phenom

Postby Doctor » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:19 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Packers signed Adams to a four-year contract extension

Steelers will not let Bell go period

Oh cool, I did not know that.

Steelers are really pressed against the cap, they don't have the space for a $15 franchise tag on Bell without some crazy moves.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:28 pm

No one on your wish list is hitting FA. ESPECIALLY Lawrence. I hope people don't really think that's a possibility.
Bootz2004

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:39 pm

Luke Joeckel, G

Ezekiel Ansah, DE

Nate Solder, LT
Phantom Phenom

Postby Doctor » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:No one on your wish list is hitting FA. ESPECIALLY Lawrence. I hope people don't really think that's a possibility.

Dallas FO is very split on Lawrence and his worth. Some see him as a contract year player and don't like his injury history. Others see him as an $80M contract guy. Lawrence will cost $17.4M to tag and Cowboys are expected to have $22M in cap space. And they have plenty of other FA to worry about, new FA, and the draft class. It's not hard to see the other side of the FO winning and not tagging Lawrence.
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:06 am

Doctor wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:No one on your wish list is hitting FA. ESPECIALLY Lawrence. I hope people don't really think that's a possibility.

Dallas FO is very split on Lawrence and his worth. Some see him as a contract year player and don't like his injury history. Others see him as an $80M contract guy. Lawrence will cost $17.4M to tag and Cowboys are expected to have $22M in cap space. And they have plenty of other FA to worry about, new FA, and the draft class. It's not hard to see the other side of the FO winning and not tagging Lawrence.

Until you can provide links to said concerns I'm calling B.S on your claims that they are split. Be that as it may they can and will make room to at the very least tag him. But you're dreaming if you think he's getting anywhere near the Fa market. Then again it's called a "wish list" for a reason. So on 2nd thought don't let me ruin your fun, *****.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:59 am

Stealing Andrew Norwell from the Panthers would make me very happy.
Cheb

Postby Swashy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:20 am

I don't really care if we go for free agency or not. Signing a few players is not to make a significant difference versus the fact that entire units struggle

The OL is bad and functions poorly as a unit and needs new players
The DL is bad and functions poorly as a unit and needs new players
Our special teams is bad and functions poorly as an entire fraction of the football team
Our return game is non-existent
We don't defend returns well
Patrick Murray is a godsend after Aguayo and Folk and yet we could improve from him
Secondary needs depth and probably 2 or 3 new players
We need a #1 RB

Congratulations Bucs you have a project 1st overall QB, good TE's, a good WR corps and a decent LB corps -a.k.a the areas whose execution and success are dependent on execution and success in the trenches.

We literally managed to **** up the rebuild again because Sweezy and Smith suck, Hargreaves ****ing sucks and it's possible he's a bust, it's possible Grimes leaves, by some miracle a player as dynamic as D-Jax can't gel with the offense, Ward is probably gonna walk, Ayers got hurt and might be done, Baker beyond sucks. Oh yeah and there was Aguayo. That was the crown jewel of all of this but it never would've been necessary if we had just stuck with Barth.

Jason Licht has fucked up so many times in 2 years that we now have 2 years of work on top of what we already have to fix.

I don't trust his evaluation at all. He must be a used car salesman's wet dream
Swashy

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:19 am

I'm in for a big signing at DE. Ansah seems like an ideal target. I'd like us to also grab Norwell from the Panties. Beyond that, depth and development of young players.
Ken Carson

Postby Caradoc » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:27 am

Swashy wrote:I don't really care if we go for free agency or not. Signing a few players is not to make a significant difference versus the fact that entire units struggle

The OL is bad and functions poorly as a unit and needs new players
The OL is solid and just needs a new LG, RG could be upgraded. We need to see about Dot and groom a replacement
The DL is bad and functions poorly as a unit and needs new players
We need to double down on DE this year, that is for certain.
Our special teams is bad and functions poorly as an entire fraction of the football team
Coaching
Our return game is non-existent
The releative importance of this is approaching nil
We don't defend returns well
Coaching
Patrick Murray is a godsend after Aguayo and Folk and yet we could improve from him
Not a priority
Secondary needs depth and probably 2 or 3 new players
Need a new safety to pair with Evans, a #1 corner, and new coach
We need a #1 RB
Yes.

Congratulations Bucs you have a project 1st overall QB, good TE's, a good WR corps and a decent LB corps -a.k.a the areas whose execution and success are dependent on execution and success in the trenches.
Our offense is loaded except at RB. That is a good thing. Our D needs some work, but also needs much better coaching

We literally managed to **** up the rebuild again because Sweezy and Smith suck, Hargreaves ****ing sucks and it's possible he's a bust,
Sweezy was playing at about an average level at the end of the season. Simth is at least slightly above average, and you can't grade VH3 yet because scheme/coaching was so damn awful it's possible Grimes leaves, By possible you mean 99.9999% likely by some miracle a player as dynamic as D-Jax can't gel with the offense, DJax is fine, he just needs his QB to be more accurate Ward is probably gonna walk And again, probably means 99.9999%. Actually, I think he will be released. Denver was right, he was done before he got here, Ayers got hurt and might be done, Baker beyond sucks. Ayers aged out, he's done, and Baker is probably going to be cut, Koetter needed to discipline him, instead let him be a lazy POS and it burned us Oh yeah and there was Aguayo. That was the crown jewel of all of this but it never would've been necessary if we had just stuck with Barth. Aguayo was a bomb, but that is only one small thing in the scheme of things

Jason Licht has fucked up so many times in 2 years that we now have 2 years of work on top of what we already have to fix.
Jason Licht has loaded this team with talent, he has hit on more players for us than any GM since Sam Wyche. He's had 4 drafts. Brate, Howard, Evans, Smith, Marpet, Godwin, Humphries, Kwon, Beckwith, J. Evans, Grimes, Winston, possibly Spence if he comes back from injury. You people have unrealistically high expectations.

I don't trust his evaluation at all. He must be a used car salesman's wet dream
Caradoc

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:46 am

If Grimes retires, we have 4 major holes: DE, RB, CB, and LG.

I would like to be in a position to go BPA in the draft, and I think we would need to find our RB in the draft since you want them on their first contract. Ideally we would be able to land a stud DE, CB, and LG in FA.

I think my primary targets in FA would be:

CB: Trumaine Johnson would be a great fit at the right price. He may not be elite, but he's a legit #1 CB, and he has tremendous size to matchup against the big #1s in our division (Jones, Thomas, Funchess), and is still only 28.

LG: Andrew Norwell from the Panthers would be awesome. He's a dominant LG who is only 26 and it's always nice to steal from your rivals. Plug him in at LG and the OL looks like a vastly different unit. Smith-Norwell-Marpet-Sweezy-Dotson would be among the biggest and most physical OLs in the league.

DE: Alex Okafor went down with a torn achilles, but he was looking like a breakout star before that injury. There's a risk here, but also a high reward. I'd love Demarcus Lawrence but I imagine he's franchised.

RB: I think you bring back Barber/Sims/Rodgers, and then try and add a stud to that trio on either Day 1 or Day 2 of the draft.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:34 pm

The Big Ticket Item: DeMarcus Lawrence, DE, Cowboys
I don't think the Cowboys let him get free. I don't see how they can. But they don't have a ton of cap space, and they drafted Taco Charlton last year with the hope he'd claim a job. It's unlikely but not impossible. If he does come free, you're talking about Olivier Vernon money - 5/85/50.

The Big Ticket Item Alternative: Trumaine Johnson, CB, Rams
It's much more likely the Rams let Johnson go. The 6'2 210 lbs corner has only seen 3 interceptions the last two seasons after seven in 2015, but this is mostly because teams don't throw at him anymore with Janoris Jenkins gone. We'd probably have to top the 5/67/26 AJ Bouye landed last year.

The Big Ticket Item Consolation Prize: Ziggy Ansah, DE, Lions
Ansah's stock has fallen after a sizzling start to his career, but minus an injury-plagued 2016 season, he's notched 39 sacks in 59 games. At 6'6 270, he's a three-down end who could take over for Robert Ayers and allow Gholston and Spence to play situationally on the other side. 5/60/30 seems about right.

The Mid Tier Offensive Guy: Justin Pugh, G, Giants
Pugh would be a "Big Ticket" guy if he'd stayed healthy in his career. He's only played 63 of 80 games. When he has played, he's been excellent in all phases of the game, at both guard and right tackle. His injury history keeps the cost manageable. Let's say 4/35/15.

The Mid Tier Defensive Guy: EJ Gaines, CB, Bills
Gaines doesn't have eye popping numbers, but he's very similar to a young Brent Grimes. Underrated coming into the league because of his size (5'10 185.) He keeps finding his way on the field and frustrating bigger, stronger receivers. He's an ideal NFL #2 or nickel. 3/15/10 or so.

The Other Mid Tier Defensive Guy: Star Lotulelei, NT, Panthers
Chris Baker is as good as gone. Lotulelei would be a fairly anonymous player if not for his draft position, but he's an ideal run-stuffer on a good line and he can push the pocket a little bit. 3/18/10?

The Affordable-Ish Guys:
Chris Hubbard, G, Steelers. The unsung Hubbard is a prototypical pulling guard and has played in 30 games the last 2 years, with 14 starts. He could be what JR Sweezy was supposed to be.

Denico Autry, DE, Raiders. Autry isn't a star, but he's an active pass rusher, notching 10.5 sacks the last three seasons in a limited role. We need a guy like this on the roster so we don't find ourselves starting trash like Will Clarke and Darryl Tapp should injuries hit.
MJW

Postby tjax03 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:17 pm

What about the guys we wish would sign vs the guys licht probably will sign.

My guess goes to whoever plays in the nfc south that is available.

The nfc south has some sort of coach/player carousel as if no else outside of the division exists.
tjax03

Postby DanTurksGhost » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:21 pm

DON'T WORRY! SALVATION FOR THIS TEAM IS COMING IN FREE AGENCY!

http://3downnation.com/2017/12/28/rider ... -bay-bucs/

Two sacks? Sign this guy and we're done shopping in FA. We'll be all set.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Swashy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:13 am

Unrealistic expectations? We haven't been in the playoffs in 10 years and you had to harken back to 20 years ago because that was the last time we actually COULD hit on a draft. I think I've been pretty patient considering the only free agents Licht has managed to score on in all this time is pretty much Grimes and McDonald. And you're telling me the kicking game -which has singlehandedly cost us half a dozen wins at least in the last 3 years is NOT a priority? If we could actually kick a FG we probably would've been in the playoffs for 3 straight years. What do I need to do, not have expectations at all? My only expectation is for Licht to NOT step in **** because he wants to be so much smarter than everyone else. Let's pass on Campbell. Great idea! We'll get Swaggy instead! Let's pick up Sweezy with a year long back inury! Great idea! Let's draft a kicker in the 2nd round! Great idea! This is a LOADED RB class and we need an RB, let's wait til the 5th round! Great idea! Grimes is old but we'll worry about shoring up corner later. GREAT IDEA!

But you're right, we've been remarkably fortunate in our drafting and yet look how far we still are away from being a competitive football team because of simple things like pass rush, special teams, game management, clock management.

For what it's worth LT is the most important position on the OL. I'm going to be critical of Smith. As for Hargreaves I'm going to be critical too especially since he is pretty much our #1 guy now and can't take the field without wetting himself. Am I too critical? Probably. But Smith probably plays better with help at LG (which we haven't gotten) and Hargreaves is allergic to physicality.

I don't want the guy to bat .800 in the draft I just want him to do **** that makes sense.
Swashy

Postby Caradoc » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:36 pm

Swashy wrote:Unrealistic expectations? We haven't been in the playoffs in 10 years and you had to harken back to 20 years ago because that was the last time we actually COULD hit on a draft.
What kind of haul do you think other teams bring in every year? Each year, some do well, most do poorly, and every now and then someone seems to kill it. Half those kills turn out to be mirages later on.

I think I've been pretty patient considering the only free agents Licht has managed to score on in all this time is pretty much Grimes and McDonald. And you're telling me the kicking game -which has singlehandedly cost us half a dozen wins at least in the last 3 years is NOT a priority?
The kicking game is not a priority NOW. It was, but it has been addressed. On FA, I'd add Ayers last year, and DJax this year as successes. We could also add Brate and Hump in there, but that wouldn't help you narrative, would it?
If we could actually kick a FG we probably would've been in the playoffs for 3 straight years. What do I need to do, not have expectations at all? My only expectation is for Licht to NOT step in **** because he wants to be so much smarter than everyone else. Let's pass on Campbell. Great idea! We'll get Swaggy instead!
You assume Calais would have come here. And it's not Licht's fault Koetter coddled Swaggy and let him get away with being a lazy ****.

Let's pick up Sweezy with a year long back inury! Great idea!

The back injury wasn't known when he was signed, genius.

Let's draft a kicker in the 2nd round! Great idea!
Finally you have a legit complaint

This is a LOADED RB class and we need an RB, let's wait til the 5th round! Great idea!
Apparently you missed our entire 2016 season which was destroyed by having all our receiving threats lost early. No need to fix that.

Grimes is old but we'll worry about shoring up corner later. GREAT IDEA!

Because we have infinite draft picks rather than a limited number and can fix everything at once :roll:

Caradoc

Postby DanTurksGhost » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:50 pm

Any FA that's coming off a fairly serious injury will be on this team's short list.
DanTurksGhost

Postby pewterpirates » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:14 pm

What are the chances the Bucs foolishly let Brate walk?
pewterpirates

Postby DanTurksGhost » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:16 pm

pewterpirates wrote:What are the chances the Bucs foolishly let Brate walk?

Better than some people think, I would imagine. Let's just say I won't be shocked if he's not a Buccaneer next season.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Cheb » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:17 pm

Higher than they should be.
Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:24 pm

Very high. They are in sort of a no win situation. A 1st round tag is $4mil+ for your #2 TE. 2nd round tag some team will sign him to an offer sheet and we likely don't match it. It's not foolish, it's business.
Bootz2004

Postby UbuntuBuc » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:51 pm

I have not been impressed with the free agent pickups over the last four years... Is it Licht or is it Rob McCartney? The draft results have been adequate, but not great.

UbuntuBuc

Postby MJW » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:56 am

There's really no long-term play here. We're not going to re-sign him long-term. He's likely to get 6+ APY on the open market, lowball. So, our options:

One, give him a first round tender this year, let him walk in 2019, reap the compensatory value.
Two, give him a mid-round tender this year, see if someone signs him and sends us a pick. If they don't, reap the compensatory value in 2019.

That's really it. When you look at the money guys like Brate have gotten in recent years (most notably, Charles Clay), there's no way we're going to pay him with Howard here. The good news is, we should end up getting some sort of compensation for our loss.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:01 am

MJW wrote:

There's really no long-term play here. We're not going to re-sign him long-term. He's likely to get 6+ APY on the open market, lowball. So, our options:

One, give him a first round tender this year, let him walk in 2019, reap the compensatory value.
Two, give him a mid-round tender this year, see if someone signs him and sends us a pick. If they don't, reap the compensatory value in 2019.

That's really it. When you look at the money guys like Brate have gotten in recent years (most notably, Charles Clay), there's no way we're going to pay him with Howard here. The good news is, we should end up getting some sort of compensation for our loss.

100% right. People might as well get use to it. This is the NFL business. Best case scenario is we hit him with the 2nd round tender and some team signs him to a sheet. Getting a 2nd round pick for an undrafted guy who was on our PS 3 years ago is a win.
Bootz2004

Postby theBKwhopper » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:03 am

We need to re-sign Brate.
theBKwhopper

Postby DanTurksGhost » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:03 am

theBKwhopper wrote:We need to re-sign Brate.

Don't hold your breath. If he comes back here it's because there's something he really likes about this team, because if he tests the waters he's going to get a big offer from somebody.
DanTurksGhost

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:43 am

When I think about Winston, losing Brate will affect every receiver on this team and if Winston doesnt get better at throwing 40 plus balls everything will still be harder to accomplish. In short, what we have seen from Brate will prolly even get better if the right team takes him.

I'm thinking forward too about what Howard can do, but man he has got to quit fumbling the ball.
mdb1958

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:47 am

If Brate goes down the road, we'll be paper thin at TE behind OJ and I'd rather not burn a draft pick on a backup despite the fact this is a solid class of tight ends.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Hit55 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:29 am

I was always under the assumption that we've been a Twin TE team. Why wouldn't we keep him around? Honestly, it's not like we don't have the money. I like Auclair, but he's the ideal 3rd guy right now. Losing Brate just opens up another hole for us, and THAT is something we truly can't afford.

Of course, I also do realize that we drafted OJ too high to not be our main guy at TE and yes, he does deserve being a starter based on his play.

Aside from that, go hard for Ziggy. I doubt Malcolm Butler goes free, but if he somehow does, he should be 1B. Of course, Bellichick has had a tendency to let people go and fill in with someone cheaper.
Hit55

Next

Return to Team Discussions