Gruden 2.0-How you feel about the possibility?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
How you feel?

excited, the gloryhole days (as Jerry Jones would put it) are coming back to Tampa!
50%
didn't like Gruden 1.0, but hopeful for a new and improved Gruden after having close access to the league the last 9 years
22%
meh, just meh
12%
this feels like mommy getting back together with the abusive stepfather
16%

Total votes : 50

Gruden 2.0-How you feel about the possibility?

Postby KiffininCanton » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:01 pm

taking the temperature of the board
KiffininCanton

Re: Gruden 2.0-How you feel about the possibility?

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:19 pm

I love it. I'm excited about it. But, I won't pretend like I know how it'll all turn out. I don't believe any of us do. If he returns, I believe he'll succeed. We gotta keep him longer than two years, though.
theBKwhopper

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:47 pm

I went with the 2nd option. I'm not stoked about it, but I'm also not 100% against it.

I was never a big Gruden fan to begin with. He never put the team in a position for sustained success once he got here. I know part of that was the draft picks lost in trading for him. I know part of it was not much room salary cap-wise. But he never developed a QB. There's the whole issue with bringing in so many washed up vets. For as much of an offensive guru he supposedly was, the Bucs averaged 19.2 ppg during his tenure.

With that out of the way, I'm hopeful he's learned a lot over the years. I'm hopeful he'll change some of his old ways.

I know one thing....it's either going to be boom or bust. I have a feeling it'll either work out where he gets us back to being perennial playoff participants or we'll be looking for another coach in 3 years.
pewterpirates

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:54 pm

We were a professional organization under him. You can nitpick his signings and failures, but it's been a long time since we had a professional feel to the things we're doing. I'm cautiously excited by the thought.
Ken Carson

Postby Buc You » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:55 pm

Gruden 2.0 will be Lovie 2.0. He was overrated to begin with and not coaching for a decade won't make him better at it.
Buc You

Postby acmillis » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Buc You wrote:Gruden 2.0 will be Lovie 2.0. He was overrated to begin with and not coaching for a decade won't make him better at it.

acmillis

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Ken Carson wrote:We were a professional organization under him. You can nitpick his signings and failures, but it's been a long time since we had a professional feel to the things we're doing. I'm cautiously excited by the thought.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:12 pm

Ken Carson wrote:We were a professional organization under him. You can nitpick his signings and failures, but it's been a long time since we had a professional feel to the things we're doing. I'm cautiously excited by the thought.

The last second FG against Pittsburgh to avoid being shut out?

The ugly breakups and jettisoning of Keyshawn and Sapp..

Presnap offensive penalties..

The Thomas Jones affair..

Passing 50 times in hurricane conditions in NY with a rookie QB...

Openly saying he wanted Favre over Garcia...

We can definitely go on...

Again, outside our SB season and MAYBE 2005, Gruden's tenure here was just as ****ing crazy as the last decade..
Super K

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Super K wrote:

Again, outside our SB season and MAYBE 2005, Gruden's tenure here was just as ****ing crazy as the last decade..

Checkmate.
pewterpirates

Postby KiffininCanton » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Super K wrote:

Don't forget going down 17-0 in the first quarter to the 0-16 Lions.

Like you said, Gruden 1.0 was as much of a keystone cops act as the last decade, it just had the greatest DC of his generation and a few future HOFers on defense to make it look respectable.
KiffininCanton

Postby Super K » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Very true KC..

And I'm not trying to be a pessimistic **** here...but the whole thing (Gruden returning) just feels off or bad...thus, I can't get all pumped about it..

It's like finding an awesome jacket Gabes for like $15, only to find out the damn zipper is missing...

That's how I feel about the whole damn thing..
Super K

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Super K wrote:Very true KC..

And I'm not trying to be a pessimistic **** here...but the whole thing (Gruden returning) just feels off or bad...thus, I can't get all pumped about it..

It's like finding an awesome jacket Gabes for like $15, only to find out the damn zipper is missing...

That's how I feel about the whole damn thing..

It's understandable to feel we're going backwards with this. I get why that's scary to some of you guys. I'm only on board with it because I think he's evolved a lot being on the sidelines(i.e 2.0). He won't be exactly the same Gruden we had, so it'll be like having a new coach. Hopefully wiser. He basically has a lot of the tools in place and I trust his ability to build an Oline.
theBKwhopper

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:55 pm

The Oline Gruden was in the process of building was:

LT - Penn
LG - Sears
C - Faine
RG - Joseph
RT - Dotson

With Trublood and Zuttah as depth. Hard believe it's been so long ago.
theBKwhopper

Postby Cheb » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Mixed feelings. I didn't agree with him being fired in the first place, and I like him as a coach. At the same time, trying to rekindle past glories like this is how we got two seasons of Lovie Smith.

Koetter is, for now, still the coach. I will wait to see how that shakes out before getting excited or fearful about a theoretical hire.
Cheb

Postby Caradoc » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:38 pm

Lovie Smith was about as passionate about football as Ben Stein in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". Koetter only marginally more animated.
Gruden still has the intensity needed at least.

Re: Sapp and Keyshawn. Sapp being let go was a Monte choice, no way Gruden forced that on him. They picked Booger over Sapp. Keyshawn needed to be kicked to the curb, he was the real cancer people here are pretending DJax is. We drafted poorly both shortly before and during his time and were missing some very important picks getting him, and had also traded some important picks that should have been long term before he got here.

A lot of the draft and FA issues were snowballed by the fact we were in "win now" mode his entire tenure here. Especially early on, we were looking for immediate fits rather than developmental players as we felt we were right on the cusp of returning. After that we started drafting/signing reactively to replace key players and missed on them. We also pulled an Aguayo with Dexter Jackson.

I'd love to see Licht and Gruden teamed up.
Caradoc

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:48 pm

I guess I'm one of the last people on the Dirk Koetter ship. I get it's been a bad year, but I still want one more year for the current regime before hopping back on the carousel. We've just been on that ride too often and if 2018 doesn't work out I'll be ready to cut bait.

Not excited about Gruden, but wouldn't hate it. We could, and have done worse. This time he'd inherit a top 5 pick, a 24yr old Franchise QB along with alot of weapons on offense. Nobody will confuse this Bucs defense with the one Gruden had in 02, but there are some nice pieces there also.

I just think there is alot of hype with Gruden. He's a good coach and guys like Vermeil and Carroll had success after long absences. So we'll see.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:55 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I guess I'm one of the last people on the Dirk Koetter ship. I get it's been a bad year, but I still want one more year for the current regime before hopping back on the carousel. We've just been on that ride too often and if 2018 doesn't work out I'll be ready to cut bait.

Not excited about Gruden, but wouldn't hate it. We could, and have done worse. This time he'd inherit a top 5 pick, a 24yr old Franchise QB along with alot of weapons on offense. Nobody will confuse this Bucs defense with the one Gruden had in 02, but there are some nice pieces there also.

I just think there is alot of hype with Gruden. He's a good coach and guys like Vermeil and Carroll had success after long absences. So we'll see.

I personally think firing Koetter would be a mistake.
real bucs fan

Postby NYBF » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Super K wrote:

I was there. In the stands. With a constant "What. The. ****." coming from my mouth over the abject stupidity of that game plan.
NYBF

Postby NavyBuc » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Super K wrote:

Let's not forget the coach before him who couldn't score a touchdown in 3 straight playoff games and thought Shaun King at starting quarterback was a good idea. Gruden and Dungy were both, IMO, good coaches who also had their flaws and downfalls that made us pull our hair out. I'll take Jon Gruden over some of the guys we've brought in here and have entertained, with the exception of MIke Zimmer who I'm still mad as hell we never went after.
NavyBuc

Postby Teitan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:13 pm

NavyBuc wrote:
Super K wrote:

Let's not forget the coach before him who couldn't score a touchdown in 3 straight playoff games and thought Shaun King at starting quarterback was a good idea. Gruden and Dungy were both, IMO, good coaches who also had their flaws and downfalls that made us pull our hair out. I'll take Jon Gruden over some of the guys we've brought in here and have entertained, with the exception of MIke Zimmer who I'm still mad as hell we never went after.

I was riding the Zimmer train big time.
Teitan

Postby Swashy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Super K wrote:

/thread

Drive home safely folks.
Swashy

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:25 pm

The fact that'd we'd probably have to trade our first round draft pick to ESPN to get him. In which ESPN would use to select Chubb, put him in the MNF booth for the next twenty years. While we will fire Gruden two years into his five year contract only to have him re-sign with ESPN leaving us with zero compensation and making Chubb and Gruden the most legendary announcing crew of all time doesn't really excite me, but that's just me.
IchabodCrane84

Postby terrytate » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Teitan wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:

Same. This Gruden thing reminds me of something poster here, by MJW I think, about how we haven't had a honest and proper coaching search since Dungy. Seems like the Glazers are more concerned about how their hire looks than getting some football peeps together to put together an actual search.
terrytate

Postby acmillis » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:12 pm

I'll take another year of Dirk over Gruden 2.0
acmillis

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:12 pm

terrytate wrote:
Teitan wrote:

Same. This Gruden thing reminds me of something poster here, by MJW I think, about how we haven't had a honest and proper coaching search since Dungy. Seems like the Glazers are more concerned about how their hire looks than getting some football peeps together to put together an actual search.

Schiano was an honest search. Results weren't what we hoped they would be but it was a search.
Bootz2004

Postby Moozician » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:16 pm

The biggest problem with Jon Gruden is ego. You think being a MNF Commentator didn't swell him up even more? It was that way when he came here after Dungy, and I don't think an improvement is in store. He's like Urban Meyer, but without the talent.

I AM all-in on the Matt Patricia Bandwagon, though.
Moozician

Postby Naismith » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:27 pm

terrytate wrote:Same. This Gruden thing reminds me of something poster here, by MJW I think, about how we haven't had a honest and proper coaching search since Dungy. Seems like the Glazers are more concerned about how their hire looks than getting some football peeps together to put together an actual search.

I've been saying that about the coaching search as well. I don't care if they end up with Gruden, though I was not a fan of his when he was here before. I just want them to go through the process of legitimately interviewing candidates and picking the best one. I do think there is a realistic scenario where Gruden is the best candidate. He's had access to a lot of coaching rooms over the years, not just in the NFL, and has likely learned a lot. If there's a Sean McVay out there, I hope they interview him with an open mind towards hiring him.
Naismith

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:31 pm

FWIW, I think Dirk should still get another year... BUT timing is everything, and sometimes you've got to react when an opportunity presents itself. If this is the year Gruden is serious about returning to coach, and you think Gruden gives your team a better shot in the long run, then you have no choice but to pull the trigger. And if we pull the trigger, I'm excited for Bucs football in a way that I have no right to be considering what we just wintnessed for the past 3 months
beardmcdoug

Postby Naismith » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:46 pm

I'm surprised anyone thinks Dirk should get another year. In my opinion, he is the worst Bucs head coach since pre-Dungy. I do think the timing is playing into it, but I hope it's because this is the last chance to hire McDaniels.
Naismith

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Naismith wrote:I'm surprised anyone thinks Dirk should get another year. In my opinion, he is the worst Bucs head coach since pre-Dungy. I do think the timing is playing into it, but I hope it's because this is the last chance to hire McDaniels.

Likewise. You look at what he had at his disposal. Arguably the most talented Bucs team in a decade. Not an All-Pro team but better than any other coach was handed. He failed with it. Raheem Morris had much less in 2010 and he got 10 wins. Koetter had so many things going for him in 2017 personnel wise and his team bombed. Everything isn't on coaching but a lot is on him.
Bootz2004

Next

Return to Team Discussions