Head Coach Discussion Thread

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Head Coach Discussion Thread

Postby Teitan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Teitan wrote:

He’s been in Florida the last what, 4 years? Maybe he wants to come back. $$. Could be a multitude of reasons.

Haven’t seen anything great from Gus Bradley

You haven’t seen anything great from him? Do you watch football?
Teitan

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Gus Bradley's primary home is located in Jacksonville. Last time I looked, his family (wife and kids) still live there, the kids are all in school there.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:48 pm

Teitan wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:
Haven’t seen anything great from Gus Bradley

Watch a lot of football , sry but Bradley sucked as head coach of the jaguars , finished 3rd or last in the division every year . He was a good linebacker coach with the Bucs .
Jason Bourne

Postby Teitan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Teitan wrote:

Watch a lot of football , sry but Bradley sucked as head coach of the jaguars , finished 3rd or last in the division every year . He was a good linebacker coach with the Bucs .

Well if you’re following the conversation, we are discussing potential D coordinators. Which he’s had a lot of success doing.
Teitan

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:51 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:Haven’t seen anything great from Gus Bradley

2016: Chargers 29th in the NFL in points allowed
2017: Chargers 3rd in the NFL in points allowed
DanTurksGhost

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Teitan wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

Well if you’re following the conversation, we are discussing potential D coordinators. Which he’s had a lot of success doing.

A lot of success ? 1 division title in Seattle and apparently 3rd in points allowed in 2017 with chargers ... nothing against the guy I just don’t think he has been that great .
Jason Bourne

Postby kaimaru » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:37 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
KiffininCanton wrote:
just not was he unsuccessful at Denver, but in his one year as OC in St Louis they were the worst scoring offense in the league.

he hasn't done jack **** when Tommy and the Hoodie are not around.

don't get the love for McDaniels at all.

I wouldn't want any Belichick coach.

One of the big reasons for almost every coach in Belichick's coaching tree failing on their own in the NFL is the amount of control he has on that team. From what former players say (like Bruschi) Bill is hands on in the game planning, film, etc. more than any other head coach that he knows of. On the Russillo show, Teddy was saying that Patricia, while smart, is basically a co-defensive coordinator to Bill. Bill breaks the film down and lists tendencies and implements the game plans. He said Bill overrides coaches in all aspects of the game more than any coach he's seen. Calling plays on both sides of the ball and special teams.

I'm sure a lot of other coaches do this, but Bill's proven to be the best. He's the reason for each of their successes and why they fall on their face without him. I'm sure there will be an anomaly eventually, but the pattern is pretty strong right now.

Yeah, and Belichick also has his hand in travel arrangements, from flight times, to hotels, etc. That's why they got a private jet so he could have even greater control of their travel. I mean he literally has control in everything. Just because one of his coaches sees parts of what he does, doesn't mean they know the reason why he has this control or could even replicate it.
kaimaru

Postby Cheb » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:55 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
KiffininCanton wrote:
just not was he unsuccessful at Denver, but in his one year as OC in St Louis they were the worst scoring offense in the league.

he hasn't done jack **** when Tommy and the Hoodie are not around.

don't get the love for McDaniels at all.

One of the big reasons for almost every coach in Belichick's coaching tree failing on their own in the NFL is the amount of control he has on that team. From what former players say (like Bruschi) Bill is hands on in the game planning, film, etc. more than any other head coach that he knows of. On the Russillo show, Teddy was saying that Patricia, while smart, is basically a co-defensive coordinator to Bill. Bill breaks the film down and lists tendencies and implements the game plans. He said Bill overrides coaches in all aspects of the game more than any coach he's seen. Calling plays on both sides of the ball and special teams.

I'm sure a lot of other coaches do this, but Bill's proven to be the best. He's the reason for each of their successes and why they fall on their face without him. I'm sure there will be an anomaly eventually, but the pattern is pretty strong right now.

Belicheck doesn't call plays, but he dictates strategy, which is an important distinction. He will say to his OC "let's run it here at that DE", or "they just subbed in the rookie corner due to injury; let's try to get him matched up on our best WR (whomever that may be)." He lets his coordinators have plenty of leeway.
Cheb

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:26 am

Cheb wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Belicheck doesn't call plays, but he dictates strategy, which is an important distinction. He will say to his OC "let's run it here at that DE", or "they just subbed in the rookie corner due to injury; let's try to get him matched up on our best WR (whomever that may be)." He lets his coordinators have plenty of leeway.

He does. He's said so, his coaches have, and his players have. He said in an interview that Patricia and Daniels call most of the plays but sometimes he just gets a feeling and takes over.
uscbucsfan

Postby MJW » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:54 am

Sean McVay also had an overbearing coach on his side of the ball in Washington. It hasn't really stopped him in Los Angeles.

There's too much emphasis put on resumes with coaches, and not enough on the kind of guy a coach is. That's really what matters. Organization. Attitude. Vision. The ability to delegate. ETC. A guy has these traits or he doesn't.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:15 am

Flashing gif of Belichick?

WOW - Damn - This guy is in my head!
mdb1958

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:18 am

Phantom Phenom

Postby Hit55 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:33 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:Image

The first image that popped in my head when Chris Baker jumped.
Hit55

Postby Swashy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:31 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Swashy wrote:
Someone who has the common sense to even OCCASIONALLY blitz or OCCASIONALLY use man coverage instead of rushing 4 linemen and giving the likes of Cam Newton 4.3 seconds per pass attempt into zone coverage that already begins several yards off the receiver at the LOS on every.... single.... freaking.... down. Every.... single... freaking.... drive

Jesus Christ. I just want to know what satisfaction do you idiots get in being dramatic and overexaggerating all of the time? A post like this suggests that you didn't even see Sunday's game.

Believe me there is nothing satisfying when typing that Newton had 4 seconds to throw. Call the rest of it what you please but the deeper point is that we cannot quantify the amount of failure this defense regularly experiences on the back of rushing four and dropping the the rest into coverage on such a regular basis in order to justify it being an ideal scheme for us. We can run as many number crunches as we want but the bottom line is that we fail miserably at using it as a scheme and seldom stray from it as our primary strategy. If I'm guilty of exaggerating well **** I'm guilty. I could say that the sky is green and Mike Smith would still be guilty in his own capacity
Swashy

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:25 am

Swashy wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Jesus Christ. I just want to know what satisfaction do you idiots get in being dramatic and overexaggerating all of the time? A post like this suggests that you didn't even see Sunday's game.

Believe me there is nothing satisfying when typing that Newton had 4 seconds to throw. Call the rest of it what you please but the deeper point is that we cannot quantify the amount of failure this defense regularly experiences on the back of rushing four and dropping the the rest into coverage on such a regular basis in order to justify it being an ideal scheme for us. We can run as many number crunches as we want but the bottom line is that we fail miserably at using it as a scheme and seldom stray from it as our primary strategy. If I'm guilty of exaggerating well **** I'm guilty. I could say that the sky is green and Mike Smith would still be guilty in his own capacity

The defense played Cam very well Sunday.
PrimeMinister

Postby DanTurksGhost » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:50 am

Unfortunately for the Bucs and Mike Smith, they just don't have the horses on defense. Yes, they've blitzed more often than many fans realize, but the fact is that more often than not they haven't gotten there. You can't tell a coach to keep blitzing over and over again when the players aren't getting the job done. It's a recipe for disaster -- a disaster of epic proportions even worse than what we've seen on the field this season. Yes, it CAN get worse.

I have a lot of confidence in Mike Smith when he's got the guys who can play. However, the real test of a great coach is if he can get it done when they don't. Those guys are rare on defense. Bill Walsh famously said (para): "When it comes to offense, you can create schemes to beat a defense. When it comes to defense, you've simply GOT to have the players. Schemes don't get it done on defense, only having the right players does."

And to add to the list of important traits in a head coach: the ability to inspire and motivate effectively. In sitting in the stands watching Coach Gruden getting enshrined in the ROH, I thought to myself: "We've seen more inspiration and fire and motivation from this guy in 5 minutes than we've seen in the entirety of the Koetter tenure". The guy just exudes confidence and leadership and inspiration. Unfortunately for him he dropped the ball in two major ways on his last run here: he failed to step in and take control of the team when the Kiffin news broke, and he failed to draft and properly develop a genuine franchise QB. Based on everything I've heard, he's learned from those two big mistakes in judgement.

Of all the options out there, if Coach Gruden is a legit option for this team, I wouldn't hesitate. Get him in here while expectations are low, while there are some important holes to fill, and while we've got a real young franchise QB (hopefully) on the rise.

Yeah, we'd be trying to recapture past glory. But there's nothing wrong with trying to do that unless doing so destroys your franchise.
DanTurksGhost

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:54 am

"The defense played Cam very well Sunday."

Until it mattered the most, which is a normal occurrence. We know it shouldnt be like that, but it seems we are powerless to do anything about it.

A McCoy flexing his bicep after a takedown on Cam to end the game --------------------------- sure lets do it!
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:08 pm

**** Mike Smith...
Super K

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:25 pm

What about Rod Marinelli as an option for defensive coordinator? Especially if Gruden is back as HC.

I'm not sure what Rod's contract status in Dallas is, but if the Cowboys move on from Garrett & Marinelli is available, wouldn't he be a consideration?

He's worked magic in Dallas. He's had even less to work with personnel-wise as Mike Smith has but he somehow keeps Dallas' defense respectable from time to time. Aside from Sean Lee (and DeMarcus Lawrence's abrupt emergence this year), that defense is lousy at every position personnel-wise.
pewterpirates

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Swashy wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

So you didn't watch the game. Cam went 16-25 for 160 and a pick. The Panthers went 4-13 on 3rd down. Your complaints about giving him 4 seconds to throw had very little impact on the outcome of the game. You're just looking for style points. And yes you are over exaggerating to the extent of trolling. Nothing you said has any merit or truth to it. Quite honestly most of the throws Cam made were quick ones where he held on to the ball much less than 4 seconds. Your claim that it happened on EVERY....SINGLE.....THROW is fiction, *****. And we did our fair share of blitzing but against Cam Newton you wouldn't do it that often because he's the best QB at evading the rush and getting yards down field. If you rush 6 guys at him often and they miss it's trouble.
Bootz2004

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:32 pm

KiffininCanton wrote:Just a thought, if Muir is getting a call, is it that crazy to think Monte could as well?

I love Monte and his legacy here, but please no. He's just too old and since leaving Tampa, his career has just gone downhill. His last gig as an NFL DC with the Cowboys was a disaster. If we bring Gruden back, I just don't want to bring back the old 2000s coaching staff. At best hire Monte as advisor or something.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Caradoc » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:36 pm

The problem with our defense isn't just the DL as some people here seem to think. Sacks aren't just a DL thing, they are also due to the secondary. While our DL is lacking premiere pass rushers, when they do beat their guys quick, our absolutely ridiculously soft coverage means a quick throw is almost always available to the QB.
Caradoc

Postby NavyBuc » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:33 pm

pewterpirates wrote:What about Rod Marinelli as an option for defensive coordinator? Especially if Gruden is back as HC.

I'm not sure what Rod's contract status in Dallas is, but if the Cowboys move on from Garrett & Marinelli is available, wouldn't he be a consideration?

He's worked magic in Dallas. He's had even less to work with personnel-wise as Mike Smith has but he somehow keeps Dallas' defense respectable from time to time. Aside from Sean Lee (and DeMarcus Lawrence's abrupt emergence this year), that defense is lousy at every position personnel-wise.

This was my first though, too. Just not sure if his contact will allow him to leave Dallas.
NavyBuc

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:42 pm

Does Marinelli come with Demarcus Lawrence?
PrimeMinister

Postby Teitan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Jerry Jones has already said Garrett is safe.
Teitan

Postby Nano » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Yeah, but is Jerry Jones safe? :P
Nano

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Teitan wrote:Jerry Jones has already said Garrett is safe.

And?
pewterpirates

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:08 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
Teitan wrote:Jerry Jones has already said Garrett is safe.

And?

You said if the Cowboys move on from Garrett and Marinelli is available. Garrett is safe meaning he's not getting fired meaning Marinelli likely won't be available.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:41 pm

Yeah, if Garrett stays, there's no reason for Rod to consider a lateral move to a place he's already been.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:44 pm

Jason Bourne

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions