Head Coach Discussion Thread

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Head Coach Discussion Thread

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:09 pm

No one would be more excited about working with Jameis Winston than Jon Gruden. If Gruden came here I'd put the chance of him wanting to move on from Winston at about 0.00000000001% at best. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. There's zero evidence of Gruden wanting move move on from a young QB in favor of his own guy. People are just talking out of their ass per the usual.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:10 pm

NavyBuc wrote:It all depends how much Gruden likes Jamies. For all we know, he may not be enamored with him. But you’re right, ownership is in love with JW and would probably block any move by Gruden not to start him. I’m just very low key on Jameis. I don’t think he’s an easy guy to work with and he’s given us reason to doubt his abilities moving forward. He makes some dumbass decisions with the football. The question is whether this quarterback can take us to the Super Bowl? I’m not sold on the answer to that question being yes.

Winston is the best QB to ever play in Tampa. If we can’t win with him we’re ****ed.
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:13 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Super K wrote:Again, he would have to fly that by ownership...

No way they sign on for that..no freaking way..

"Hey fellas, happy as hell to be back. By the way, I really think what we need to do to get back over that hump is trade Jameis and go out get get a veteran QB. A guy who is a bit longer in the tooth and experienced."

Next thing you'd hear is a high pitched male scream, then some gurgling finally it all ends with a gun shot..

Mariska Hargitay and company are called in to clean up the mess..

LMAO! Why is this so funny? Thanks, SuperK.

Glad someone enjoyed it.. pretty obvious what my daughters and I have been binge watching on Netflix over the weekend, huh?...
Super K

Postby KiffininCanton » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:What do people think about Todd Haley?

Eh.

Honestly, my bias for McDaniels is too strong. If Koetter is let go, and, we don't land McDaniels, I'll be disappointed no matter what. If they do bring Gruden back, I will at least be able to lean on nostalgia driven optimism that his time in the booth has added a ton to his repertoire.

just not was he unsuccessful at Denver, but in his one year as OC in St Louis they were the worst scoring offense in the league.

he hasn't done jack **** when Tommy and the Hoodie are not around.

don't get the love for McDaniels at all.
KiffininCanton

Postby KiffininCanton » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:50 pm

Teitan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:What do people think about Todd Haley?

I’m not a Haley fan. He’s doing a really good job where he’s at, but I think he’s too much of a miserable ***hole to be a head coach. Doesn’t come off very likeable, by anyone.

I actually agree with this.

Haley is a wannabe Parcells.

That schtick don't work with NFL players if you don't have the credibility like Parcells.

and while I'm no Gruden fan, to compare Gruden to Haley's personality is unfair. Gruden has a sense of humor, Gruden can be self-deprecating, Haley has none of that.
KiffininCanton

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:05 pm

KiffininCanton wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:
Eh.

Honestly, my bias for McDaniels is too strong. If Koetter is let go, and, we don't land McDaniels, I'll be disappointed no matter what. If they do bring Gruden back, I will at least be able to lean on nostalgia driven optimism that his time in the booth has added a ton to his repertoire.

just not was he unsuccessful at Denver, but in his one year as OC in St Louis they were the worst scoring offense in the league.

he hasn't done jack **** when Tommy and the Hoodie are not around.

don't get the love for McDaniels at all.

I wouldn't want any Belichick coach.

One of the big reasons for almost every coach in Belichick's coaching tree failing on their own in the NFL is the amount of control he has on that team. From what former players say (like Bruschi) Bill is hands on in the game planning, film, etc. more than any other head coach that he knows of. On the Russillo show, Teddy was saying that Patricia, while smart, is basically a co-defensive coordinator to Bill. Bill breaks the film down and lists tendencies and implements the game plans. He said Bill overrides coaches in all aspects of the game more than any coach he's seen. Calling plays on both sides of the ball and special teams.

I'm sure a lot of other coaches do this, but Bill's proven to be the best. He's the reason for each of their successes and why they fall on their face without him. I'm sure there will be an anomaly eventually, but the pattern is pretty strong right now.
uscbucsfan

Postby Naismith » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:38 pm

NavyBuc wrote:I personally would want a Josh McDaniels, but with all the HC options out there, you really think he's going to choose Tampa over a place like maybe New York or Washington?

McDaniels has had the opportunity to coach a QB so great that he can constantly adjust his system without missing a beat. I think the quality of QB is going to be huge on his wish list and the Bucs will have the best quarterback of any open job unless the Colts fire Pagano. He certainly can prefer a bigger market or staying in the northeast, but Winston is the draw here that other teams can't match.
Naismith

Postby Teitan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Jacoby Brisset is better than Winston?
Teitan

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Yea I agree. He won't win any popularity contests. But the same can be said about most coaches in this league. Koetter included. Be an ***hole all you want as long as the team is winning.

Parcells and Jimmy Johnson were massive a-holes. None bigger.
DanTurksGhost

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:38 pm

MJW wrote:Also worth noting that in Gruden's case, he's spent the last 9 years researching football for his job, observing the evolution of the game live, taking notes about what's working and what's not, talking to every other coach in the league all season, etc.

A must read:

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/04/jon- ... -nfl-draft
DanTurksGhost

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:43 pm

DanTurksGhost

Postby theBKwhopper » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:00 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:
MJW wrote:Also worth noting that in Gruden's case, he's spent the last 9 years researching football for his job, observing the evolution of the game live, taking notes about what's working and what's not, talking to every other coach in the league all season, etc.

A must read:

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/04/jon- ... -nfl-draft

That was a great article
theBKwhopper

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:04 pm

“If ESPN ever kicked me out the door and I had to get back to coach, I have to stay on top of what’s going on,” he says. “To be a good analyst you need to know what the trends are and what teams are doing. That’s why this is good. Right now I’m an expert in the North Dakota State Bison. How about that?”

The lives and breathes football. Anyone who doubts that he's prepared (not saying that's a guarantee of success) is mistaken.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:09 pm

It's only casuals who believe a guy wouldn't change things up or evolve after 10 years away. You guys believe Belichick is doing the same things he's been doing since he got to New England? Casuals go with the easiest, lazy answer because it's all they are able to see. So if anyone truly believes Jon Gruden would come in, trade Jameis Winston away, name Ryan Fitzpatrick or some older QB his guy and run a "dink and dunk" offense (he never has) they are only showing how much they truly don't know.
Bootz2004

Postby KiffininCanton » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:13 pm

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:I love how often fans say this dumb ass line. Said it about Lovie too.
Sure, the game has passed these people, who love, breath, and live the sport, by but not us sitting here on our coaches. WE know what we're talking about. WE know what the team needs. These guys? Pft.... games past them by...

Also worth noting that in Gruden's case, he's spent the last 9 years researching football for his job, observing the evolution of the game live, taking notes about what's working and what's not, talking to every other coach in the league all season, etc. Most coaches you might hire, they've been in one organization, hearing one set of voices and philosophies, and gradually consuming new ideas. Gruden has had a bird's eye view of every new idea to come around in the NFL. He's also met with assistants from every single team and undoubtedly met a few he thinks would do a great job for him.

this would be my one hope with Gruden.

The Gruden today may be a lot different than the Gruden that walked off that sideline December 28,2008.
KiffininCanton

Postby KiffininCanton » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:17 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:A few things I know:

1. Coach Gruden APPEARS to be serious about coming back.
2. Coach Gruden has stated that his preferred landing place is Tampa.
3. Coach Gruden has apparently contacted some potential assistants about joining a theoretical staff (Bill Muir has been contacted, I'm told).

It is definitely a lot of smoke.

I was one of the few Muir supporters when he was here, but he will turn 76 during next season.

Hope Gruden's connections will produce better options than hiring 75 year olds.
KiffininCanton

Postby KiffininCanton » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:23 pm

Just a thought, if Muir is getting a call, is it that crazy to think Monte could as well?
KiffininCanton

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:32 pm

KiffininCanton wrote:I was one of the few Muir supporters when he was here, but he will turn 76 during next season.

Hope Gruden's connections will produce better options than hiring 75 year olds.

I'm not saying that he intends to hire Muir, only that I know he's spoken to him. He could be talking to Muir about his opinions on other coaches. Coach Gruden has immense respect for Bill Muir. Besides, I think Bill Muir could probably still coach OL pretty well, despite his age (although to be fair, I've not seen Coach Muir in years).
DanTurksGhost

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:40 pm

I want to know who is going to fix this Defense.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I want to know who is going to fix this Defense.

A lot of new players.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:54 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:

A lot of new players.

You got any thoughts on who might coordinate these new players?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:01 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:You got any thoughts on who might coordinate these new players?

Haven't given it much thought, yet.
DanTurksGhost

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:06 pm

I'll throw a wild, unlikely name out there for DC: Brent Venables.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Swashy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Someone who has the common sense to even OCCASIONALLY blitz or OCCASIONALLY use man coverage instead of rushing 4 linemen and giving the likes of Cam Newton 4.3 seconds per pass attempt into zone coverage that already begins several yards off the receiver at the LOS on every.... single.... freaking.... down. Every.... single... freaking.... drive
Swashy

Postby theBKwhopper » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:39 pm

I feel like we blitz a lot. With very little success. We need better rushers. That's the best way to improve our defense.
theBKwhopper

Postby Teitan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:40 pm

I read Gus Bradley is only on a 1 year deal as Chargers DC...

I’d take him. He’s worked for Gru before...
Teitan

Postby Swashy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:56 pm

Teitan wrote:

Ehhh I don't know why he'd move across the country just to make a lateral move to a non-playoff team from a team that might just make the playoffs. I mean he's not a bad idea but it's not gonna be conventional for him
Swashy

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Swashy wrote:

Someone who has the common sense to even OCCASIONALLY blitz or OCCASIONALLY use man coverage instead of rushing 4 linemen and giving the likes of Cam Newton 4.3 seconds per pass attempt into zone coverage that already begins several yards off the receiver at the LOS on every.... single.... freaking.... down. Every.... single... freaking.... drive

Jesus Christ. I just want to know what satisfaction do you idiots get in being dramatic and overexaggerating all of the time? A post like this suggests that you didn't even see Sunday's game.
Bootz2004

Postby Teitan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Swashy wrote:
Teitan wrote:

Ehhh I don't know why he'd move across the country just to make a lateral move to a non-playoff team from a team that might just make the playoffs. I mean he's not a bad idea but it's not gonna be conventional for him

He’s been in Florida the last what, 4 years? Maybe he wants to come back. $$. Could be a multitude of reasons.
Teitan

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Teitan wrote:
Swashy wrote:

He’s been in Florida the last what, 4 years? Maybe he wants to come back. $$. Could be a multitude of reasons.

Haven’t seen anything great from Gus Bradley
Jason Bourne

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions