Would you make this trade?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Would you trade Vjax for Marshall?

Yes
47%
No
53%
Undecided
No votes

Total votes : 15

Would you make this trade?

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:20 pm

Hypothetically, would you trade Vincent Jackson to Chicago for Brandon Marshall? The Bears are reportedly shopping him for whatever reason. He has history with Lovie Smith, who traded for him in 2012. Now, to me a deal like this would make sense for a number of reasons. History is one. Another is Chicago is reportedly trying to "clean up the locker room". I personally don't think Marshall is a bad guy. He's made some mistakes in the past but nothing lately and has his mental issues cleared up. Jackson is seen as a locker room leader and a guy who you can rely on to keep the locker room "clean". That makes sense for Chicago. For us, we'd get a guy who's a little younger, a lot cheaper and offers something different than Mike Evans. Evans is seen more in the Vjax mold. Great deep receiver but inconsistent catching short-intermediate passes and making plays after the catch. Marshall does just that. He's tough, gritty, physical. He's not afraid to get hit over the middle and gains YAC. He also catches a much better percentage of his passes because it's not mostly deep stuff. Having a guy who can make those tough catches on 3rd down is very key. That's just my 2 cents...What say you guys?
Bootz2004

Re: Would you make this trade?

Postby NoAlibi » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:34 pm

And he's from Florida.. Seems like he's hurt frequently though.. Marshall is better talent though..
NoAlibi

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:38 pm

It does make sense for a multitude of reasons.

One negative would be the 4.8m dead money hit we'd take if we traded Vjax since we restructured for cap relief in '12
DreadNaught

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:12 am

3 organizations will have given up on Marshall, trading him away for less than he's worth (in terms of talent). But let's not pay attention to THAT. :roll:
MJW

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:21 am

I don't agree that Evans has problems catching the short/mid range passes. He's more Marshall than Jackson imo.

Marshall is better than Jackson for sure, younger, too, but we need VJ in the WR room and in the community as long as possible.
Flip

Postby Corsair » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:24 am

MJW wrote:3 organizations will have given up on Marshall, trading him away for less than he's worth (in terms of talent). But let's not pay attention to THAT. :roll:

Lets not pretend that Brandon Marshall hasn't made great progress over the last 4 years. With most of the progress happening under the tutelage of Lovie Smith. If he were a free agent, I think reuniting with Lovie would be close to the top of his list.

This is a cleaning house move by John Fox who is siding with Cutler over Marshall. This is about the outburst that happened in the locker room after the Dolphins game. An outburst that Urlacher said would never have happened with Lovie around.
Corsair

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:30 am

MJW wrote:3 organizations will have given up on Marshall, trading him away for less than he's worth (in terms of talent). But let's not pay attention to THAT. :roll:

I already stated he's made mistakes in the past but nothing lately and now has his mental issues cleared up. Lovie Smith had no problem taking him off of Miami's hands before and as Corsair stated this is ththe Bears siding with Cutler over Marshall.
Bootz2004

Postby Avalanche » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:34 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

I already stated he's made mistakes in the past but nothing lately and now has his mental issues cleared up. Lovie Smith had no problem taking him off of Miami's hands before and as Corsair stated this is ththe Bears siding with Cutler over Marshall.

It really is a shame for the falling out, it seemed like he and Cutler were BFFs.
Avalanche

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:38 am

Avalanche wrote:
It really is a shame for the falling out, it seemed like he and Cutler were BFFs.

They might still be. But when 2 competitive, intense guys like those 2 aren't winning you're bound to get fireworks.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:47 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

If he had his issues cleared up, the Bears aren't trying to sell him out of the back of a van. Whatever issues he has that have made him expendable (yet again) in Chicago will still be there in Tampa. Vincent Jackson has a similar skill-set at a similar price and unlike Marshall, zero risk factors. He hasn't missed a game in five years and by all accounts he's a team-first guy. Marshall is a bit younger, but that's not work introducing the risks he presents.
MJW

Postby Avalanche » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:58 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

If he had his issues cleared up, the Bears aren't trying to sell him out of the back of a van. Whatever issues he has that have made him expendable (yet again) in Chicago will still be there in Tampa. Vincent Jackson has a similar skill-set at a similar price and unlike Marshall, zero risk factors. He hasn't missed a game in five years and by all accounts he's a team-first guy. Marshall is a bit younger, but that's not work introducing the risks he presents.

Have you watched his A Football Life? He's gotten therapy for his BPD and continues to live a much healthier life focused on happiness, he is most certainly over his issues and significantly more stable then he was earlier in his career.
Avalanche

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:10 am

Avalanche wrote:Have you watched his A Football Life? He's gotten therapy for his BPD and continues to live a much healthier life focused on happiness, he is most certainly over his issues and significantly more stable then he was earlier in his career.

No, I haven't. I'm happy for him, but it changes little. Vincent Jackson doesn't have any such issues, nor does he have Marshall's injury issues, nor has any team ever had cause to give up on him. V-Jax for Marshall is bad math. You're trading stability for risk, you're not saving any money, you're picking up a very similar player, and even the big selling point - the age - is overblown. Jackson is only 2 years older than Marshall. And none of that addresses that Jackson seems to be a highly respected member of the organization and locker room.
MJW

Postby Avalanche » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:15 am

MJW wrote:
Avalanche wrote:Have you watched his A Football Life? He's gotten therapy for his BPD and continues to live a much healthier life focused on happiness, he is most certainly over his issues and significantly more stable then he was earlier in his career.

No, I haven't. I'm happy for him, but it changes little. Vincent Jackson doesn't have any such issues, nor does he have Marshall's injury issues, nor has any team ever had cause to give up on him. V-Jax for Marshall is bad math. You're trading stability for risk, you're not saving any money, you're picking up a very similar player, and even the big selling point - the age - is overblown. Jackson is only 2 years older than Marshall. And none of that addresses that Jackson seems to be a highly respected member of the organization and locker room.

I'm not entirely advocating the trade, it certainly intrigues me, I'm afraid of possible waves made getting rid of Vjax and the injury Marshall sustained this year is pretty scary but Marshall's been one of my favorite non-Buccaneers so I personally wouldn't be disappointed. Just saying Marshall's mental health has improved significantly since his incidents of the past.
Avalanche

Postby A Man's Part » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:18 am

Marshall IS twice the player Vjax is. I'm not saying go trade for him per say, but if we did I'd be ****ing excited.
A Man's Part

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:34 am

A Man's Part wrote:Marshall IS twice the player Vjax is. I'm not saying go trade for him per say, but if we did I'd be ****ing excited.

The numbers don't really support that. Marshall had the bigger monster season (three years ago now) but the stats are pretty similar. Marshall has caught more passes, but for significantly fewer YPC. He has a bigger name but he hasn't been the more exciting player during his career. He's been more like a possession receiver with Jackson as a true deep threat. Catching a lot of passes at 11 YPC, 12 YPC a season while Jackson was at 17, 18, 19 YPC. I guess if you find Keyshawn Johnson's "exciting," Brandon Marshall will get you going. I don't see it as a clear upgrade beyond the fact that hypothetically Marshall might still be playing at a high level in 3 years, while Jackson will probably be retired. That would be the only real justification for making a deal like that - wanting to get marginally younger at that spot.
MJW

Postby BJJ34 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:39 am

Brandon Marshall has always and will always be one of my favorite players in the league. Gets a bad rep for having a diagnosis of Borderline personality disorder, which is relatively uncommon in men. The fact that he has played in the NFL for 10 years with that disorder is mindboggling to me. Especially with all of these reporters constantly in his face, you're bound to say something stupid. I'd be honored to have him on this roster and would immediately buy the jersey. Have always wanted to do something special regarding him and his Mental Health foundation as well, if he came to Tampa, I'd have a reason to!
BJJ34

Postby PetePierson » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:57 am

Bootz2004 wrote:I already stated he's made mistakes in the past but nothing lately and now has his mental issues cleared up. Lovie Smith had no problem taking him off of Miami's hands before and as Corsair stated this is ththe Bears siding with Cutler over Marshall.

I don't think a person ever has their mental issues 'cleared up' but the man does seem like he is doing better dealing with those issues. That being said; I'd be all for the trade!

But from all appearances OBP seems to really like VJAX both on and off the field.
PetePierson

Postby Jonny » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:38 am

Technically the move makes a lot of sense. Jackson has slowed down and is stiffer than ever. He also does not hold on to the ball in traffic, on top of having suspect hands. Marshall being able to do all that synergizes well with Evans' abilities.

But I am not sure if I want Marshall in the ears of a rookie or even Glennon. I believe just this last year he had some issues with Cutler and Trestman.
Jonny

Postby Cheb » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:43 am

Jackson is still playing at a high level and everyone loves him. Don't give him away for a guy who can't be relied upon as a teammate.
Cheb

Postby NoAlibi » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:47 am

BJJ34 wrote:Brandon Marshall has always and will always be one of my favorite players in the league. Gets a bad rep for having a diagnosis of Borderline personality disorder, which is relatively uncommon in men. The fact that he has played in the NFL for 10 years with that disorder is mindboggling to me. Especially with all of these reporters constantly in his face, you're bound to say something stupid. I'd be honored to have him on this roster and would immediately buy the jersey. Have always wanted to do something special regarding him and his Mental Health foundation as well, if he came to Tampa, I'd have a reason to!

Can we get that in haiku?
NoAlibi

Postby Deuce » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:49 am

I'm a big Marshall fan as well but no to the trade. You're trading a great locker room guy and role model for someone who could potentially be a real chemistry problem. Marshall is a little better at this point in both of their careers but not enough to risk the other stuff. I have to believe the numbers would be a little different if Jackson had Cutler throwing to him over the last few years and Marshall had McCown, Glennon, etc. And Jackson had none of the pouting or locker room dust ups.

Also, I'm surprised those two would be separated. I watched the "A Football Life" about Marshall (as have others in the thread) and he talked about how he didn't want to play with any other QBs.
Deuce

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:08 am

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m1 minute ago
Bears have agreed to trade WR Brandon Marshall to the Jets pending a physical, per league source.
DreadNaught

Postby Deuce » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:43 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m1 minute ago
Bears have agreed to trade WR Brandon Marshall to the Jets pending a physical, per league source.

No chance of that situation going south. :banghead:
Deuce

Postby Rocker » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:23 pm

620WDAE update guy says it's for a freakin' 5th!!!

:steamingears:
Rocker

Return to Team Discussions